• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 next gen update out April 25th also PC ultrawide and more

King Dazzar

Can confirm the 60fps mode is lower res, it has the softer image overall. There's some distant detail on the wall showing on the 40fps mode. Wait let me fire up Paintshop.
Yeah, its slightly higher, but not enough imo to warrant dropping to 40fps. I reckon the Performance mode is maybe running somewhere around 1800p. Either way, its really good.

Whelp.

Looks like the Quality / Performance toggle doesn't do anything on the Xbox update right now lol. Always runs at the same Performance mode settings at 60 FPS.

It seems to be working fine on PS5, though I only turned off performance option briefly to see difference.

Mr Moose

fallout.gif

simpatico

F Bethesda and the horse they rode in. They broke bunch of mods, introduced crashes, forced potentially long delay of Fallout London for this low “effort” shitshow!?

Why even bother on PC side then? Thankfully I set it not to update and I can run Fallout through mod manager.
Don't worry. I think the days of modding and tinkering with brand new Bethesda games are behind us.

TheZink

Naber
Yeah, its slightly higher, but not enough imo to warrant dropping to 40fps. I reckon the Performance mode is maybe running somewhere around 1800p. Either way, its really good.

It seems to be working fine on PS5, though I only turned off performance option briefly to see difference.
on my PS5 I don’t even have the option to switch modes. 🤷‍♂️

Told y'all this update was coming in hot. The fact that weren't hyping it up before the show AND failed to have it ready until weeks after the premiere was a red flag to me. And since the engine is infamously slow to work on, it'll probably be weeks before it's updated again.

I'm not particularly interested in jumping back into FO4 (it'd be hard to after FO76's numerous improvements), but I honestly feel bad for those that were looking forward to it.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Oh great, for some reason I thought I can keep my game un-updated and play offline but it doesn't even let me fucking start it without updating. And if I keep the system offline, the mods menu is disabled.

Looks like I'm updating whether I want to or not.

Bryan Cranston Reaction GIF
Use a mod manager to bypass the bullshit. On Steam at least they works.

buenoblue

People thinking they are getting 90/120fps when it's 45/40fps 😂

This is why you can't trust Anything you read about performance on threads and comments

King Dazzar

Oh great, for some reason I thought I can keep my game un-updated and play offline but it doesn't even let me fucking start it without updating. And if I keep the system offline, the mods menu is disabled.

Looks like I'm updating whether I want to or not.

Bryan Cranston Reaction GIF
Welcome to the world of adorably digital baby.
See Ya Kiss GIF by Sesame Street

King Dazzar

If 6 is like 5 and 4 then I’ll be showing up at the store in full armor just to buy the game. Don’t threaten me with a damn fine time.
Bethesda games are a strange one sometimes. I didnt think that much of Oblivion, but loved Skyrim, didnt think much of Fallout 3, but loved 4. Yet for many its the other way around.... then we have Starfield.

Schorschi

I play for a few Minutes .How can i Chance the graphic or Video settings? I don’t see it. I pay on a sony a95l with 120 hertz.

Honestly, after testing. 60FPS is better than 40fps mode with ultra graphics.

On PS5 only at 60hz you get 444 rgb and this makes a big difference for fallout which has a lot of brown because of the radiation... Any color is much better defined at 444.

And the ultra vs high or standard situation is pratically identical. I see no difference whatsoever

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I play for a few Minutes .How can i Chance the graphic or Video settings? I don’t see it. I pay on a sony a95l with 120 hertz.

There should be a toggle for Performance Mode on/off in the games settings.

So people with ps plus version of the game don’t get the update? How sad.

Oh well.

They fixed it for PS+ Extra, but if someone had FO4 from back when it was offered as PS Collections, that version does not get the upgrade.

Last edited:

Ashamam

I don't even see the game in extra. If I'm logged in on the web I can't either. But if I'm not logged in, find the game in the extra catalog then login, I have the option to add it to my library. But on clicking that it just says something went wrong. I have about 45 hours into the game so I think I played it using the old PS collection, but can't see that in my library of games.

*shrug* Only really wanted to see if the PS5 edition had a working performance/quality option as the Series X appears to ignore the setting as best as I can tell. Its likely a Sony SKU issue made worse by the fact Bethesda never dot the i's or cross the t's.

I have a GTX 3090.

Downloaded the new update on PC/Steam.

Getting crashes immediately after loading into the game.

I had weapon debris on ultra.

Read a comment somewhere saying it causes crashes and to turn it off.

I turned it off and crashing stopped.

But is there a way to run the game with weapon debri ON?

Maybe update GPU drivers?

How do you access the 1440p60 at Ultra settings on PS5? Do we have to disable 4k output in system settings or just select in game?

LordCBH

How do you access the 1440p60 at Ultra settings on PS5? Do we have to disable 4k output in system settings or just select in game?

I think you have to set the console itself to 1440p output. I’m assuming the in game settings menu is the same as the Xbox version of the game where there’s basically nothing.

I think you have to set the console itself to 1440p output. I’m assuming the in game settings menu is the same as the Xbox version of the game where there’s basically nothing.
Yea I figured as much. That sucks you have to manually switch on/off depending on what you're playing.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Whelp.

Looks like the Quality / Performance toggle doesn't do anything on the Xbox update right now lol. Always runs at the same Performance mode settings at 60 FPS.

Well that would explain why 40hz seemed as smooth as 60hz, I was impressed lol. Didn't get to really compare if it was looking better in quality as I only played for like 2 mins.

Laptop1991

I have a GTX 3090.

Downloaded the new update on PC/Steam.

Getting crashes immediately after loading into the game.

I had weapon debris on ultra.

Read a comment somewhere saying it causes crashes and to turn it off.

I turned it off and crashing stopped.

But is there a way to run the game with weapon debri ON?

Maybe update GPU drivers?
There is a mod that fixes it, but you have to wait for the script extender to be updated to use it at the moment.

The Shepard

Did you guys start on a brand new fresh save, with no mods installed at all? I'm assuming it was the PS5 version fresh install and then you didn't import any older saves or mess around with Creation Club content or mods?

Strange as I've played 2hrs, solely testing and had no issues at all. But the game can be sensitive to old saves after updates and/or changing mods.

Fresh save, no mods. No older saves downloaded. Digital.

There is a mod that fixes it, but you have to wait for the script extender to be updated to use it at the moment.

Doesn't matter actually. Even without my game crashing, I can't get past the prologue on ultrawide. The part where you enter your character's name is completely cut off.

What a shit update.

Dazraell

Welp, seeing all of the reports I was right to be concerned over lack of any marketing to this update prior to release. Now it's pretty obvious why Bethesda was silent about this turd

Zheph

Plan worked well for them, it seems quite a few people rebought the game even at a very low price, it should look good for their next marketing comms

Kupfer

Plan worked well for them, it seems quite a few people rebought the game even at a very low price, it should look good for their next marketing comms

And that's all it was about.

It's sad that a game company that was known for developing immersive adventures for players and inspiring them has now become such a calculating, faceless and profit-hungry corporation.

Paasei

Decided to play the game without mods for the time being (PC). Crashed 3x in a row on my way to the vault all at the exact same place.

Uninstalled the game, removed the leftover files that remained in the folder, reinstalling it now. Let's see if that works. Otherwise it's back to 3 & NV.

Perfect timing. I never played Fallout 4 because of all the people talking shit on it.

Going to try and give it a shot real soon. Couldn't get enough of Starfield, so I could honestly start another Bethesda game. I have the GOTY edition already since it's so affordable.
People shit on it because "whaa building, I don't want to build just pew pew". I personally loved the base building in fallout 4, along with the rest of the game. Everyone has different opinions.

Mephisto40

Maybe it's because I have a headache today, because I have to scroll back and forth, or maybe I'm just blind but I can't tell a difference lol

I played a couple hours earlier today, and tried both modes and couldn't tell a difference then really either. The 120hz mode actually felt pretty good but since I couldn't tell a huge difference I just played in Performance mode.
The only difference between the detail on the performance and graphics modes is the shadow detail, other than that it's exactly the same

B6OMbZr.jpeg

Top Bottom