• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 next gen update out April 25th also PC ultrawide and more

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
The only difference between the detail on the performance and graphics modes is the shadow detail, other than that it's exactly the same

B6OMbZr.jpeg
There are some LODs difference too, look at further away models on the right of the full images, there's even a GIF at the top of this previous page showing some of it.

Last edited:

Stafford

So is it really true a mod on Xbox already brings you 4K/60fps with ultra settings? And BGS for some reason couldn't do this? I'm guessing the mod doesn't bring you a locked 60fps, right?

TheUsual

Gold Member
I decided to install the GOG version and will see what mods I had worked. Currently GOG doesn't have the update and I downloaded the offline installer.

Also told GOG NOT to auto update the game as well in Galaxy. It's $10 right now so get it if you haven't already from them.

I knew mods would be broken but God this is just a mess. Did a clean start with the update and I need to verify if there's errors with the game. Trying to pick up items and the game has some items labeled with a generic "file missing" as the description.

Last edited:

Zathalus

The only real difference between Ultra (Quality) and regular (Performance) is slightly better shadow quality and longer LOD. I think you should see a difference in object and grass detail when standing high up and looking at distant objects.

Tommi84

Is it me or they didn't even implement ANY dualsense haptics?

Though I only played for 10min so can be wrong

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Played about an hour on Xbox, no crashes in my testing from the start until Red Rocket.

I don't think I'll be playing a full game right now but good to see that the update hasn't broken anything in the game immediately.

The Cheat Terminal mod also works so that's a big benefit to me personally.

Ogbert

Is it me or they didn't even implement ANY dualsense haptics?

Though I only played for 10min so can be wrong
Annoying but I’m not expecting an Xbox studio to concentrate on an upgrade unique to the rival platform.

Hopefully modders can help.

Played about an hour on Xbox, no crashes in my testing from the start until Red Rocket.

I don't think I'll be playing a full game right now but good to see that the update hasn't broken anything in the game immediately.

The Cheat Terminal mod also works so that's a big benefit to me personally.
Lucky, I can’t even start a new game it just loads for a bit and then dumps me back to the homescreen. Re-installed everything and same thing. I pretty much can’t play at all mods or no.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

Let's pretend this ridiculous hyperbole is true, 5 guys working for two weeks for free sounds like a good deal for gamers.
I think its great that this patch was free. But lets not forget that the game is getting a lot of attention both with the show and now media coverage of a "next gen" patch. Whilst at the same time the game is taken off of sale, the day before the patch is released. So increased sales of the title I'm sure will more than cover 5 guys working for free as you put it. Bethesda will be making money from all of this, I have no doubt.

Last edited:
Let's pretend this ridiculous hyperbole is true, 5 guys working for two weeks for free sounds like a good deal for gamers.
Incredible insight from you to understand that what I posted was an exaggeration, Todd.

It's not a good deal if it breaks things on PC, like needing workarounds on the steam deck, it's just poorly done. Contrast this with the Next Gen patch for Witcher 3, which was also free. How's it looking now?

Last edited:
The only difference between the detail on the performance and graphics modes is the shadow detail, other than that it's exactly the same

B6OMbZr.jpeg
Which one is the new one? And how much more space does this require? Shit, I had no problem with fallout4 on ps4/ps5 or pc. The shadows on either will be fine. Especially since it looks like other shadows stay the same.
Obviously this is baked lighting. If this was dynamic doom3/fear/thief/spinter cell chaos theory style lighting then yeah the shadows would matter more.

Filben

Started a new game on PC, survival mode. Crash while climbing the hill to entering the vault in the intro.

Played then on PS5, same scene, no crash at all.

What the heck is next gen about any of this?
Not much apart from a 60fps and 40fps option, which doesn't feel like real next gen. No haptics or adaptive triggers, no further visual additions expect for very minor ones.

Last edited:
On PS5 this update is great! being able to play in 60fps is all I asked for. It runs smooth and looks great.
Did it no run the ps4 version with ps4 pro settings? I haven't touched it on my ps5 yet, only played it back at launch on ps4. Didn't have an issue then. I only own a 1080p set so resolution isn't a matter, but better graphics and 60ps are nice.

Filben

PS5 > PC, end of that long debate

praise be Todd
117c576bf7a6d2980b235db0dae60171b92d9208_hq.jpg
Guess I'll go back to New Vegas :messenger_pensive: . Looks like shit these days and I had to install a metric ton of mods but I can play tenths of hours without any crash now. Viva "Viva New Vegas" modding guide.

Not sure yet If I'm going to play F4 on PS5.

Last edited:

Zheph

Guess I'll go back to New Vegas :messenger_pensive: . Looks like shit these days and I had to install a metric ton of mods but I can play tenths of hours without any crash now. Viva "Viva New Vegas" modding guide.

Not sure yet If I'm going to play F4 on PS5.
Stay strong brother

I am already bored here but I kinda knew a technical update was not gonna change much in the end for myself

Bullet Club

Fallout 4 is now steam deck verified with new update from Bethesda!The next Gen Fallout 4 Update runs at 90FPS on the Steam deck OLED and it's amazing! In this video we do a bit of testing to see how fallout 4 runs on on the Steam deck oled. we also test out docked mode on the steam deck OLED with Fallout 4.

buenoblue

Just turned my PS5 on to carry on playing from yesterday and I get a ps logo then a black screen. Turned it on and off a few times and checked the cables still the same.

Ejected the fallout 4 disc and PS5 booted up fine 🙄. Fucking Bethesda 😂😭

shubik

Did it no run the ps4 version with ps4 pro settings? I haven't touched it on my ps5 yet, only played it back at launch on ps4. Didn't have an issue then. I only own a 1080p set so resolution isn't a matter, but better graphics and 60ps are nice.
No its now a dedicated PS5 app. The PS4 version runs at 30fps

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
It plays more like a shooter than a RPG. Don't look dated but never has been a deep.graphic Series like God of War by example. It just works.

Main plot/story is garage bit exploration a Old Harbor DLC are Nice.

Of You can get it cheap or are on Gamepass is a fun Game.

Doesn't look "dated" ?
Brother, this is the DEFINITION of dated, from the god-awful character models, to the stilted as fuck terribad animations, to the idiotic speech/dialogue system.

What a fucking pathetic and incompetent company, I mean, this shit looked dated back in the day and all these years that have passed haven't done it any favors.

I'll say it again : judging by their latest game (Star field) Bethesda has been both resting on its laurels AND riding on its customers' goodwill - their games just feel so behind the curve that's not even funny, tried the patch on the PS5 and i just nope'd after 20 minutes, everything about it just feels archaic.

The only people that are going to defend this are A) die hard Bethesda fans and B) Xboys trying to defend the honour of a multi trillion company after they acquired this shitty company thus making each of their games "1st party exclusives" in the process.
There's no reason whatsoever to defend this company anymore and Todd Howard is the biggest snake oil salesman of the past 20+ years.

I've put 150+hours in Oblivion, 250 hours in FO3 (dlc included) but after that I just couldn't take it anymore.

Last edited:
Started a new game on PC, survival mode. Crash while climbing the hill to entering the vault in the intro.

Played then on PS5, same scene, no crash at all.

Not much apart from a 60fps and 40fps option, which doesn't feel like real next gen. No haptics or adaptive triggers, no further visual additions expect for very minor ones.
RTX card? If yes turn off weapon debris in the settings. Stops the crashes. This bug has been in the game for as long as there are RTX cards

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
It's nice, the update fixed the bug I was having where the gun had no sound effects.

adamsapple

Based on general opinions and what's online, looks like the PC folks are having a rougher time with this update and the console versions are generally running fine, barring a few issues here and there.

MScarpa

Just purchased Stellar Blade and Sand Land but forgot about the new update for Fallout 4. I never played this game past getting out of the vault so I'm really surprised how good this looks and plays. The new games might have to take a back seat.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
cant believe the update still did not fix the floating spark glitch on my settlements

Based on general opinions and what's online, looks like the PC folks are having a rougher time with this update and the console versions are generally running fine, barring a few issues here and there.
On Xbox the biggest problems are mainly if you had mods installed before the update. If you did, you’re saves are probably messed up, and since there’s no way to update or redownload a lot of mods or even view them at all in some cases (in my case there’s nothing in the mod list to even delete or disable but something is still making it so I can’t even start a new game) there’s not much you can do except try to purge everything.

But yeah the game itself is probably fine (couldn’t get in to tell), but their mod page is basically broken and that needs to work to even be able to so much as look at the mods you have.

adamsapple

On Xbox the biggest problems are mainly if you had mods installed before the update. If you did, you’re saves are probably messed up, and since there’s no way to update or redownload a lot of mods or even view them at all in some cases (in my case there’s nothing in the mod list to even delete or disable but something is still making it so I can’t even start a new game) there’s not much you can do except try to purge everything.

But yeah the game itself is probably fine (couldn’t get in to tell), but their mod page is basically broken and that needs to work to even be able to so much as look at the mods you have.

I had the Vivid Fallout and Cheat Terminal (and the 60hz) mods installed on my version and after the update, my old saves were able to load fine.

I did get the warning that some of the mods are not available so there might be issues, but the save itself loaded without any trouble.

I guess the more mods someone had, the more likelihood of it breaking on them.

Last edited:
I had the Vivid Fallout and Cheat Terminal (and the 60hz) mods installed on my version and after the update, my old saves were able to load fine.

I did get the warning that some of the mods are not available so there might be issues, but the save itself loaded without any trouble.

I guess the more mods someone had, the more likelihood of it breaking on them.
I had a boatload, but I suspect my problem is either a mod changed a setting the update didn’t like; so even if it’s uninstalled the change is still there, or it’s a mod that’s conflicting somewhere after the update but is basically invisible to me since the mod page is broken.

It was roughly the same thing with Skyrim a little while back when they overhauled the mod page on Xbox for that game, the mods page was borked for about two weeks (it’s all basically a website) so if you had any mod problems you were basically up shit creek without a paddle in terms of troubleshooting till they sorted the server issues.

Last edited:
Top Bottom