• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 Officially Revealed for PC, Xbox One, PS4 [Reddit Rumor = Ban]

Sou Da

That's why I later posted they should balance it by making it so equipment and weapons repaired with junk would have reduced DT and DMG as well as resale value compared to ones repaired by merchants and with quality like materials. So while you could repair your stuff in a pinch out in the wastes it would still be worthwhile to use quality materials and employ merchants to repair your stuff to top quality. Unless you got a perk, later in the game that is, like Jury Rigging which removed such penalties for using junk items.

I think I found an idea for one of my paid mods, thanks ;)

Tigress

That's why I later posted they should balance it by making it so equipment and weapons repaired with junk would have reduced DT and DMG as well as resale value compared to ones repaired by merchants and with quality like materials. So while you could repair your stuff in a pinch out in the wastes it would still be worthwhile to use quality materials and employ merchants to repair your stuff to top quality. Unless you got a perk, later in the game that is, like Jury Rigging which removed such penalties for using junk items.

Ah, that would still make it too easy for me honestly (and I saw that edit). What's the point of even having the system when it takes two seconds to get around it. And sure, maybe my armor won't be at full but *shrug*.

Now, if you had to get the right combo of items to fix it, that I might be able to get behind, long as the combo wasn't so easy you can usually just find it lieing around wherever you happen to be. Add in your idea that it doesn't fix it as well as having the actual similar type armor/same armor and I might find that interesting.

(can you tell I was a fan of hardcore mode?).

Xiraiya

Sure, it looks exactly like FO3:

SPR8ozb.jpg

IqbyIlM.jpg

Sf6X1w5.jpg

qVg13V2.jpg

cJxRvuo.jpg

rYdKF2M.jpg

gF3WP0T.jpg

eKS4DLG.jpg

Oi2Vjr0.jpg

XTXAgKs.jpg

MTYqVZv.jpg

ky4RDUj.jpg

PEVEtws.jpg

7CO1yRN.jpg

ZzGpldI.jpg

EZ2LyIV.jpg
Objectively, there is a significant quality difference, I don't think that can be argued without throwing logic out the window. The problem is... or well MY Problem with it is this just looks like Bethesda are stuck at about 2 or 3 years ago, it just feels like this was suppose to be out years ago, not "Now.".

The only explanations that make sense to me as to why this looks dated and kind of bare in parts are:
- They really did get this done quite awhile ago and decided to push it out before it looks too old
- This was early beta footages/screenshots (We know that's not so)

The fact there is a debate at all tells you enough, let alone the fact that people actually have to defend it.

If there was really no doubt or actual debate to be had about the way FO4 looks compared to a game from 7 or so years ago, most complaints would be safely ignored.

I will still play the game and probably like it, but in all honesty compared to what we know or have seen Bethesda have at their disposal, this so far just isn't good enough in my opinion in today's open world genre.

Tigress

I think people should check out this video, it will just get you hyped all over again (made me get really impatient for the game already):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pnt2cy5MWyw

I also like his comments on the end about people's complaints and also about liking Vegas better but still having faith Bethesda will make a fun game and that 3 was still a good game. It's really how I feel. Though I really do hope Bethesda takes some lessons from Vegas.

Objectively, there is a significant quality difference, I don't think that can be argued without throwing logic out the window. The problem is... or well MY Problem with it is this just looks like Bethesda are stuck at about 2 or 3 years ago, it just feels like this was suppose to be out years ago, not "Now.".

The only explanations that make sense to me as to why this looks dated and kind of bare in parts are:
- They really did get this done quite awhile ago and decided to push it out before it looks too old

The fact there is a debate at all tells you enough, let alone the fact that people actually have to defend it.

If there was really no doubt or actual debate to be had about the way FO4 looks compared to a game from 7 or so years ago, most complaints would be safely ignored.

I will still play the game and probably like it, but in all honesty compared to what we know or have seen Bethesda have at their disposal, this so far just isn't good enough in my opinion in today's open world genre.

Honestly? I like that it has the same art style as the previous Fallouts. If they changed art style too much, it wouldn't feel like Fallout. I think it's one reason it feels like Fallout despite being more colorful and not having the one tone color filter on it. Part of why people are being confused is they haven't tried to drastically redesign much at all. I mean when I was watching the video above and he was pointing out stuff he noticed, it occured to me that it seems they made it a point to try to make stuff look the same and not try to differ from character/object designs. So they're kinda stuck with aesthetics made for when games couldn't render much. They have changed stuff sometimes in order to have something better looking (what really made me think this was when he pointed out the protectetron design. It's been changed and I bet part of that is old tech couldn't really do that glass cover so well and it was easier to give it just a overall metal cover everywhere.

I mean if we are going to complain about it, Witcher 3 looks similar to Witcher 2 in the same way this looks like Fallout 3. The art style hasn't changed. It's been refined and smoothed out and been able to add more details. But I think if you look at it, it definitely looks better. But Fallout (and honestly Gamebryo) does have a pretty unique look to it by itself. And I think a lot of people are confusing the two.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Ah, that would still make it too easy for me honestly (and I saw that edit). What's the point of even having the system when it takes two seconds to get around it. And sure, maybe my armor won't be at full but *shrug*.

Now, if you had to get the right combo of items to fix it, that I might be able to get behind, long as the combo wasn't so easy you can usually just find it lieing around wherever you happen to be. Add in your idea that it doesn't fix it as well as having the actual similar type armor/same armor and I might find that interesting.

(can you tell I was a fan of hardcore mode?).

Multiple mods like this exist and they definitely didn't make the game too easy, especially when linked with a hardcore mod set to really up the difficulty so you were always getting wrecked and low on everything. I can't remember if certain combos were necessary in any of them, mayhaps, but they definitely made you realize how despite all the junk lying around the wasteland most of it still wasn't that useful. Scrap metal, leather belts, tin cans, crutches, vacuum cleaner, wonderglue, pressure cooker, etc etc weren't as plentiful as you think.

Plus I'm against fast travel so it wouldn't always be two seconds to get around it if you're in the middle of nowhere and can't get back to a merchant, or you have no caps, or the quality like items to repair them.

That's the other thing I hope they do. Eliminate everywhere fast travel and use a system like Witcher 3. At least in hardcore mode. It would be nice if they mad a real hardcore mode and not simply added in simple and rather boring need to eat/drink/sleep.

Sou Da

Multiple mods like this exist and they definitely didn't make the game too easy, especially when linked with a hardcore mod set to really up the difficulty so you were always getting wrecked and low on everything. I can't remember if certain combos were necessary in any of them, mayhaps, but they definitely made you realize how despite all the junk lying around the wasteland most of it still wasn't that useful. Scrap metal, leather belts, tin cans, crutches, vacuum cleaner, wonderglue, pressure cooker, etc etc weren't as plentiful as you think.

Plus I'm against fast travel so it wouldn't always be two seconds to get around it if you're in the middle of nowhere and can't get back to a merchant, or you have no caps, or the quality like items to repair them.

That's the other thing I hope they do. Eliminate everywhere fast travel and use a system like Witcher 3. At least in hardcore mode. It would be nice if they mad a real hardcore mode and not simply added in simple and rather boring need to eat/drink/sleep.
I've seen more than one open world game in development that used that system and switched to everywhere travel at release. I'm 80% sure focus testing is behind that change.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I've seen more than one open world game in development that used that system and switched to everywhere travel at release. I'm 80% sure focus testing is behind that change.

We need to find these testers and kick them in the nuts, though they probably don't like limited fast travel because they have no balls. So we might need to find some other place to kick them.

Tigress

I almost never fast travel to the point that only in certain cases do I even remember I can use it, that didn't come into the equation when I said it would be too easy. I mean I never found it too hard to just have the same type weapons around except when I was low level. It already was easy/too easy when you had to find specific items to fix it. I just find making it so you could just use any junk would make it ridiculously easy.

And I don't care what fast travel system them use, I'm not using it. I hate using fast travel, it breaks my immersion and reminds me I'm playing a game and not trying to survive in that world (I like that feeling of trying to survive in the world). I don't care if it is or is not in the game, either way doesn't affect me (just as how it is implemented won't affect me). The only time I ever use it is if the game crashed after I did a long travel trip, nothing happened, and I just feel that I already travelled the trip and I don't want to do it again cause the game crashed (for some reason that feels different to me to have to travel over again cause of a game crash).

I will say I also won't be against that perk if it is an evolution on the perk to use similar weapons. Cause that means I don't have to use it. But I'd be upset if they changed the enhanced weapon repair perk to that instead.

Yes, I really like Fallout to feel very survival like. one of my complaints is it gets too easy at the end (This seems endemic to Bethesda games). One thing that had me really starting to love 3 was when I was low level and had to be very careful of my ammo use cause it was hard to even find enough ammo to buy. And then that got lost later when I had all the ammo in the world. One of the many things I loved about hardcore mode so that I couldn't just carry all the ammo in the world. Still wasn't enough really (I'm with some one I'd love an even harder hardcore mode). I like the feeling you have to be careful with your equipment cause you have limited means and it will only last you so long. I don't want it to become so ridiculously easy you really don't have to worry about that anymore (though it will anyways as you level up). I also liked how hardcore was different than difficulty. While I want to have to feel like I have to conserve to survive, I don't want to be frustrated with how hard it is to kill mobs. I mean I want a challenge in combat but I don't want to be overwhelmed. Where as I want more of a challenge with having to conserve and be careful of what I use. Basically I'd rather the challenge be that I can't use too many bullets to kill this mob because I'm very limited vs. I have to make a lot of hits for this mob to go down.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I almost never fast travel to the point that only in certain cases do I even remember I can use it, that didn't come into the equation when I said it would be too easy. I mean I never found it too hard to just have the same type weapons around except when I was low level. It already was easy/too easy when you had to find specific items to fix it. I just find making it so you could just use any junk would make it ridiculously easy.

And I don't care what fast travel system them use, I'm not using it. I hate using fast travel, it breaks my immersion and reminds me I'm playing a game and not trying to survive in that world (I like that feeling of trying to survive in the world). I don't care if it is or is not in the game, either way doesn't affect me (just as how it is implemented won't affect me). The only time I ever use it is if the game crashed after I did a long travel trip, nothing happened, and I just feel that I already travelled the trip and I don't want to do it again cause the game crashed (for some reason that feels different to me to have to travel over again cause of a game crash).

I will say I also won't be against that perk if it is an evolution on the perk to use similar weapons. Cause that means I don't have to use it. But I'd be upset if they changed the enhanced weapon repair perk to that instead.

Yes, I really like Fallout to feel very survival like. one of my complaints is it gets too easy at the end (This seems endemic to Bethesda games). One thing that had me really starting to love 3 was when I was low level and had to be very careful of my ammo use cause it was hard to even find enough ammo to buy. And then that got lost later when I had all the ammo in the world. One of the many things I loved about hardcore mode so that I couldn't just carry all the ammo in the world. Still wasn't enough really (I'm with some one I'd love an even harder hardcore mode). I like the feeling you have to be careful with your equipment cause you have limited means and it will only last you so long. I don't want it to become so ridiculously easy you really don't have to worry about that anymore (though it will anyways as you level up). I also liked how hardcore was different than difficulty. While I want to have to feel like I have to conserve to survive, I don't want to be frustrated with how hard it is to kill mobs. I mean I want a challenge in combat but I don't want to be overwhelmed. Where as I want more of a challenge with having to conserve and be careful of what I use. Basically I'd rather the challenge be that I can't use too many bullets to kill this mob because I'm very limited vs. I have to make a lot of hits for this mob to go down.

That's a huge problem with the games in general though, even the originals. We can carry way too much stuff. Someone with just 1 Strength can carry as much weight as professional soldiers tend to carry in real life in FO/2 and in FO3/NV over 3 times that. They drastically need to overhaul the inventory system to prevent massive hoarding and picking up of everything under the sun.

I would like to see that gas station be our central base that we get almost immediately and can then use that as a place to store food, water, equipment/items, craft, repair, etc. And not literally carry around everything of value that we have all the time like every other game in the series.

I would really love to see a grid based inventory this time around along with a somewhat more realistic system of weights. It would be amazing if they employed something like DayZ's style of inventory where your actual clothing had different amounts of storage slots depending on style. But that will never ever ever happen sadly.

In such an event being able to use random junk that is lying around to fix things is all the better. And a lot more immersive, making you feel like a real scavenger and wastelander scraping by to survive.

Tigress

That's a huge problem with the games in general though, even the originals. We can carry way too much stuff. Someone with just 1 Strength can carry as much weight as professional soldiers tend to carry in real life in FO/2 and in FO3/NV over 3 times that. They drastically need to overhaul the inventory system to prevent massive hoarding and picking up of everything under the sun.

I would like to see that gas station be our central base that we get almost immediately and can then use that as a place to store food, water, equipment/items, craft, repair, etc. And not literally carry around everything of value that we have all the time like every other game in the series.

I would really love to see a grid based inventory this time around along with a somewhat more realistic system of weights. It would be amazing if they employed something like DayZ's style of inventory where your actual clothing had different amounts of storage slots depending on style. But that will never ever ever happen sadly.

In such an event being able to use random junk that is lying around to fix things is all the better. And a lot more immersive, making you feel like a real scavenger and wastelander scraping by to survive.

Hrm... I think I'd have to try it but it might make it interesting. And probably cure me of my hoarding tendencies which means there are points in the game where I have to sit there and decide what goes and what stays to pare down on what I'm carrying. Yes, I'm that person that the jokes about hoarding in Skyrim fit really well.

(And this is why I miss being able to use mods in Fallout/Elder Scrolls. Cause I bet you could find some one who would do a mod like this. The one downside imho of being a console peasant, mods for Bethesda games).

Goddamnit, now I just really want to play the new Fallout. And I'm not even done with Witcher 3 yet.

nib95

Banned
That's even bigger of a jump than I remembered

It's an improvement, no doubt. It just still isn't particularly great looking. In fact, in places it looks quite poor if anything. There are certainly better looking open world games already out this generation.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Hrm... I think I'd have to try it but it might make it interesting. And probably cure me of my hoarding tendencies which means there are points in the game where I have to sit there and decide what goes and what stays to pare down on what I'm carrying. Yes, I'm that person that the jokes about hoarding in Skyrim fit really well.

(And this is why I miss being able to use mods in Fallout/Elder Scrolls. Cause I bet you could find some one who would do a mod like this. The one downside imho of being a console peasant, mods for Bethesda games).

Goddamnit, now I just really want to play the new Fallout. And I'm not even done with Witcher 3 yet.

Yeah mods are a huge part of the fun, though I've never seen an inventory overhaul mod that does anything remotely like make it grid based. DayZ's system is quite nice, though not perfect either.

For FO I'd love for them to find a way to use the Vault Boy, and add in Vault Girl, as a paper doll of sorts for your equipment and not simply put a dot next to the items you have equipped. Daggerfall and Morrowind both had a paper doll, though Morrowind was just your character's normal 3D model in a preview window in the inventory, but still it was nice.

Second I would prefer they go back to only 2(or maybe one of each weapon type: rifle/heavy, handgun, thrown) equipped weapons at a time and not full access to everything you have on hand in your inventory. This isn't just to make the game harder or anything but also because I'd like for them to actually show multiple weapons equipped at a time and with some kind of holsters. So you'd have a pistol on your hip, rifle on your back, grenade on your chest or belt somewhere, maybe a javelin on your back instead.

Where they are could also depend on your current clothes/armor. Or your clothes could affect how many you can carry at once. DayZ has chest gun holsters. Maybe we can find various holster to hold more weapons, or mod holsters into our armors. I don't know, that might be a bit too much.

I'd also like there to be backpacks as a means of allowing us to carry more stuff, or really a necessity to do so. But like all of this that will never happen. Lots of people don't like the aesthetic of it and want their character to just look cool.

knerl

I hope this will shut people up. Cause clearly some are forgetting what 7th Gen games looked like.

PS4 and XB1 are an appreciable improvement over last generation.

Yes, but this particular game in it's current state is not that big of a leap. Right now it really isn't. Rather small compared to what we've seen is doable this generation.
One thing that pleases me is the animations. Those seem to be infinitely better than in for example New Vegas. Just booted that up and damn they look bad.

Yes, but this particular game in it's current state is not that big of a leap. Right now it really isn't. Rather small compared to what we've seen is doable this generation.
One thing that pleases me is the animations. Those seem to be infinitely better than in for example New Vegas. Just booted that up and damn they look bad.

Yep. The game still looks good, but I'm happy if the animations for everything are now fluid AND more importantly travelling between indoors and outdoors no longer requires a loading screen - I HATE that! Witcher 3, fixed that somewhat, I'm hoping that is the same for Fallout 4. Also, I really hope the game is polished - Fallout 3, Skyrim (and NV) where buggy as fck on release.

rjinaz

14 hours until the conference. Holy heck it seemed like getting to this day took forever since Bethesda revealed there would be a conference.

So what are we expecting today relating to Fallout 4? A new trailer with maybe some gameplay?

knerl

14 hours until the conference. Holy heck it seemed like getting to this day took forever since Bethesda revealed there would be a conference.

So what are we expecting today relating to Fallout 4? A new trailer with maybe some gameplay?

Wouldn't say no to that.

rjinaz

Wouldn't say no to that.

Yeah, really curious to see if anything has been changed from the last game in terms of mechanics. I don't think anybody can deny that what we have seen so far looks like fallout 3, I'm not talking graphics. Personally speaking, I want the game to stay pretty much the same but maybe with some improvements here and there and hopefully something from New Vega carries over like upgrading equipment and being able to use materials to build things like weapon repair kits. It made all the random junk placed in the world have some actual use.

I put $20 down on a 15-30 minute demo and much, much more information.

it could be footage from PS4 or Xbox one, they are a few years behind the PC GPUs so that might be what people are reacting on, especially if they are PC gamers as many Fallout players are. That said I have planned on buying the PS4 version first for playing it vanilla, then buy the PC version on sale. Or I might preorder both versions if the PC version gets a good price at GMG or something similar. Right now the PC version is way too expensive (for a PC game since there are no licensing costs).

Sure, it looks exactly like FO3:

I couldn't care less for looks, but while there is definitely a jump, I'd be hard pressed to say it's a big jump - in fact those images tend to lend more weight to the opinion of those who think F4 looks kind of ugly. Personal opinion and all. Can't wait to play the game in any case.

Kyle549

A release date?

I think it's almost guaranteed that we'll get a ~15min playthough by Todd on stage.
My guess is that we'll get a new trailer showing gameplay, then Todd will do a playthough.

Red Hood

Banned
I really, really, really hope there's a seamless transition from outdoors to indoors, towns, rail stations and what not. After having played The Witcher 3 for 110 hours I'll need a lot of time to adjust to all those loading screens...

rjinaz

I really, really, really hope there's a seamless transition from outdoors to indoors, towns, rail stations and what not. After having played The Witcher 3 for 110 hours I'll need a lot of time to adjust to all those loading screens...

The thought of not having loading screens when going indoors is the main reason I'm not so harsh on the graphics. It's a fair compromise to me. If there are still loading screens then I think I'd jump on board with the detractors.

Just saw this posted in IGN deals. Fallout 4 pc code for $42.
http://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/fallout-4-pc-cd-key-steam

I'm getting the ps4 game with BB gamers club personally but I'm sure some of you would be interested.

ViciousDS

Banned
The thought of not having loading screens when going indoors is the main reason I'm not so harsh on the graphics. It's a fair compromise to me. If there are still loading screens then I think I'd jump on board with the detractors.

Just saw this posted in IGN deals. Fallout 4 pc code for $42.
http://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/fallout-4-pc-cd-key-steam

I'm getting the ps4 game with BB gamers club personally but I'm sure some of you would be interested.

I'll wait for GMG, any site with the word key in their name usually end up getting their keys off a market of stolen keys.

Shit, now that you mention it, I would greatly appreciate that.

I haven't played Morrowind but that was seamless throughout correct? Or was it just for towns and cities?

ViciousDS

Banned
So apart from Fallout, Doom and Dishonoured what else have they got? Are surprises expected?

Elder scrolls online expansion announcement and talk since it just launched on consoles.

Edit: I think there's an expansion for it, not sure. I just finished installing on the bone! Off to bowling hahaha damn.

BouncyFrag

I didn't know Bethesda's e3 was this evening. Tonight will feature a healthy dose of The Witcher 3, Persona 4g, and very likely Fallout 4 gameplay along with maybe Dishonored 2. Oh my!!

Top Bottom