• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 PC Performance Thread

Steel

Banned
Just clarifying before we start up. Will my specs be OK?

8GB RAM
GTX 760
i5-4670 - 3.40ghz

Well here's how the 750TI with an I3 performs against console for reference:

MYpPSnZ.gif

Yeah I don't notice framerate drops either.

And the 760 is significantly better, so...

AMDman18

Neo Member
Ah, yep. Just started doing some exploration in the big city area and my framerate is regularly dropping down to 40. I am on ultra at 1440p with a 980ti, i7-2600k @4.5, 16GB RAM, Win 10. That's a big bummer. The wasteland and interiors run at a near perfect 60.

Edit: Even dropping to 1080p I can't get above 45fps in areas of this city.

That's...VERY disappointing to hear. I have basically the same system specs except my 2600k is at 4.6. I presume you're running the new drivers?

Ah, yep. Just started doing some exploration in the big city area and my framerate is regularly dropping down to 40. I am on ultra at 1440p with a 980ti, i7-2600k @4.5, 16GB RAM, Win 10. That's a big bummer. The wasteland and interiors run at a near perfect 60.

Edit: Even dropping to 1080p I can't get above 45fps in areas of this city.

Yep, this is where I am now. Early areas were smooth. The area I am in right now (Lexington), I just can't get a good 60 FPS regardless of resolution. I have godrays on low.

980ti, 3570k, 16gb RAM, Win 10.

It's really disappointing.

That's...VERY disappointing to hear. I have basically the same system specs except my 2600k is at 4.6. I presume you're running the new drivers?

Yep, newest drivers, no graphics tweaking either. I actually just hit as low at 36fps for a few frames. Thankfully this is not happening anywhere else in the game but it is frequent enough to be pretty annoying when outside in the city.

AMDman18

Neo Member
Yep, newest drivers, no graphics tweaking either. I actually just hit as low at 36fps for a few frames. Thankfully this is not happening anywhere else in the game but it is frequent enough to be pretty annoying when outside in the city.

That's super lame. I'm guessing this will have to be addressed in future patches. There's no reason that this last gen carryover of a game should be stressing $600 GPUs...

I'm actually kinda curious, what effect does the Godray setting even have? Anybody got screenshots?

Nope. Would be nice if that nvidia tweak guide was loading properly so we could see!

Fedelias

Getting a black screen when I try starting the game for some reason. Anyone have any fixes (other than the usual restarting steam/computer)?

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Anyone else having trouble launching the game... I'm having it CTD every single time after it plays the intro video for like 1 second.

My Setup
4 GB Gigabyte R9 290
Core i7 3930K
32 GB DDR3 RAM
2 TB SSHD (Mirrored RAID)
Win8 Pro x64

Edit:
Reinstalling latest drivers worked for me. I was messing with enb stuff a couple of months back and I may have screwed something back then

Steel

Banned
Via the cached Nvidia Guide;

Ultra:

Low:

But they also call out the differences as being more noticeable in motion, though I still don't think there is much difference in the end.

I can't honestly see any difference whatsoever there... Hmm.... How is that even worth the performance hit?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm, the game defaulted to high settings and is running at 48fps locked on my 144hz display. Seems kinda unresponsive so far.

Just joining the thread now, there a way to change fov? These guns eat screen real estate like none other.

Check out the section on it in this guide. I tend to get motion sickness from FOV being too narrow and changing it to 90 helped with that (might drop it a bit, little too fishbowl now). Gun size has a separate FOV option (listed in the guide) that I'm still experimenting with finding a good setting for.

Edit: Just to clarify because the guide isn't the clearest, fDefault1stPersonFOV is what will change the actual FOV. fDefaultWorldFOV seems to just change... Pip-Boy size? Having trouble getting the gun size to change.

From the last page. Still don't know why it got pulled.

Nice, thanks!
I guess I can afford low godrays. I don't really see the difference between low and ultra from the screens. Yes there are differences but I have to shrink my eyes and see it as close as possible. I'm not playing that way.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

Exact thing happened to me on my 970. No amount of lowering settings helped.

I ended up locking at 30 and maxing out everything.

Does anyone know if its possible to force a different windowed resolution than what is in the drop down setting menu? Tried fiddling with iSize H and iSize W in the Fallout4Prefs ini, but it didn't seem to affect anything.

Is anyone else having problems where controls don't work on the main menu? I hit a button to go to the main menu but then the controls just stop. I have to ctrl alt delete it in order to close the game. I've tried with both a controller and kb+m.

Dmax3901

Holy shit, what a POS port this is. It took years for them to do this?

Care to elaborate, impressions I'm getting (including my own experience) are that it's pretty well optimised.

Also, anyone know why the Nvidia tweaking guide was pulled?

Rixxan

My sound is weird, the majority of the sound is coming from my right headphone - but the left is definitely working for ambient and most directional, etc

First game this has ever happened

Daishogun

In Aus, and yet to have the chance to get home and play, but anyone out there with an idea of what I should be looking at with:

2x GTX 570 in SLi
16GB RAM
i5 2500k

Only have a 1080p monitor, but I'd like to still think my rig is good. I hope.

FLAguy954

Holy shit, what a POS port this is. It took years for them to do this?

Seriously, I don't know how the fuck people pay for such subpar software.

Care to elaborate, impressions I'm getting (including my own experience) are that it's pretty well optimised.

Not really when a goddamn 770 matches a 290x in this game (at that point, the game developer is definitely doing something wrong).

Eusis

Guys, just wondering if my laptop will be able to run this?

GTX 960m
i7 4720hq
8GB ram
An 840m can handle this at seemingly 30+, although it did look kind of stuttery going by the Youtube video I saw. A 960m is magnitudes stronger so it'd probably be OK depending on the fidelity you want.

Alright ! Just preloaded and set up my game!

Ran with the default without touching anything and at the menu the game is hovering at 144fps . Seems i have my gsync and vsync all at global

So I had to still turn on gsync but change my vsync to the 3d application settings

Hovering at 70+fps

I did not touch or edited the inteval settings in the ini files

So far game is running great !

980ti

Edit: i might try to go further into the game to see hiccups and since i'm over 60fps, i might get some hilarious glitches and bugs

Sanctuary

LOL.. yeah random crashes to desktop, missing quest scripting, issues with autosaves dont count as performance issues for sure!

Which also were rare, if even non-existent experiences for many users. For example, when Skyrim was just released, the forums were ablaze with CTD problems. I never had the game crash on me once, until I started going crazy with large texture mods, or partially conflicting mods. Lots of bugs? You bet, but from a performance standpoint, it ran extremely well for me. Similarly with all of their games aside from Oblivion, but that was more of an issue with my PC than anything at the time.

Blizzard

Banned
The vsync mouse delay is annoying. :( I see from the posts above that disabling vsync won't work because apparently a lot of things are tied to the framerate (really odd decision).

Has anyone found a way to turn on triple buffering at least?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

Also, anyone know why the Nvidia tweaking guide was pulled?

Wait until you get to Lexington in the game. No matter what your settings, GPU or CPU power, the frame rate fluctuates between 35-45 fps.

I was at a solid 60 for hours... Then I got to Lexington.

SURGEdude

The vsync mouse delay is annoying. :( I see from the posts above that disabling vsync won't work because apparently a lot of things are tied to the framerate (really odd decision).

Has anyone found a way to turn on triple buffering at least?

Yeah the mouse lag is my biggest issue so far too. It feels like I'm playing over network or with a shitty high refresh rate TV.

Blizzard

Banned
Also is there any way to replay the intro video with the explosion? I saw it briefly, pressed my keyboard hotkey to increase the volume...only to find that the hotkey instantly cancelled the video. Now when I restart the game, the video doesn't play.

Dmax3901

Wait until you get to Lexington in the game. No matter what your settings, GPU or CPU power, the frame rate fluctuates between 35-45 fps.

I was at a solid 60 for hours... Then I got to Lexington.

I think I've just reached Lexington but didn't spend too much time there. Sounds like fun :/

SURGEdude

Also is there any way to replay the intro video with the explosion? I saw it briefly, pressed my keyboard hotkey to increase the volume...only to find that the hotkey instantly cancelled the video. Now when I restart the game, the video doesn't play.

Perhaps it's easiest to watch on Youtube. That's what I did in the same exact situation.

Anybody else have texture streaming "issues"? I constantly see really low res textures which take sometimes more than 5 seconds to load the higher detailed texture.

Playing on an SSD with a 2gb 660 ti High textures.

Takuan

i5 2500K @ 4.5
8 GB RAM
7950 3GB
SSD

Runs like a dream at 1080p, feels like a solid 60 fps. Haven't really done any interior areas aside from the intro and the first building in Concord, didn't notice any dips.

Caveats: running medium on lighting/shadows. Haven't tried upping to high, was too into it and it looked great aside from a few glaringly bad textures here and there. Didn't bother updating graphics drivers. Also played offline the entire time, not sure if that makes any difference.

One thing I noticed is some hitches in between lines of dialog, like the game has to load the next animation sequence or something. Super minor, but I noticed them.

Not a fan of the dialog shortcuts, but the actual dialog has been fine so far.

Showracemenu doesn't work anymore.

I've yet to come across an NPC that looks anywhere near as bad as that weird blonde woman.

So far, so good. I want to spend every waking minute in the post apocalyptic Boston. Sucks that I have to work this week.

Zeliard

Is anyone else having problems where controls don't work on the main menu? I hit a button to go to the main menu but then the controls just stop. I have to ctrl alt delete it in order to close the game. I've tried with both a controller and kb+m.

Mouse/keyboard didn't work for me at all in the menu until I turned on my gamepad and used that to go into the settings and disable gamepad.

Not sure what to suggest if your gamepad isn't working either, though. That seems odd.

Blizzard

Banned
Perhaps it's easiest to watch on Youtube. That's what I did in the same exact situation.
That's another incredibly odd decision. Most games make you wait through unskippable videos. Bethesda put a video before the main menu that's permanently skippable if you touch any button? :p

I even tried deleting Fallout4.ini and Fallout4Prefs.ini...still goes straight to the 3D menu after the static.

This has probably been answered but I couldn't find it, but will I be able to play at a low resolution with decent fps? I've got a Lenovo Y70 (i7, GTX 860M, 8 gigs of ram). I know the video card is bottlenecking me pretty hard but I don't care too much about fancy graphics and all that. I just want to enjoy the story and action without too many framerate issues.

Top Bottom