• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 PC Performance Thread

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Based on the number of loads, I'd imagine an SSD would be a much better experience in this case. Like the other games, the transition between interior and exterior require a load and based on the console load times, they can be lengthy, though I'm sure even on an HDD they will be shorter, generally, on PC.

The game tries to remove some full-blown loading with dark lifts and such, but in many cases 'proper' loading still occurs, and if you need to jump back and forth from outside to inside you'll be wishing you used a SSD.

Looking at this comparison: http://images.nvidia.com/geforce-co...teractive-comparison-001-ultra-vs-medium.html
I guess the consoles use "medium" shadow distance. Also known as "no shadows" :p

Good job as always on the guide Andy, I think one of the shadow comparisons is mislabeled.

Just took another look and they appear OK. Ultra is slightly softer and less accurate on the bottom left of the picture. If you're referring to another image/example send me the specifics and I'll double check.

Vossler

Any hope for SLI Support soon? I have two Gtx 980's and would love to be able to utilize them - saw on the tweak guide that it is not currently supported...

Renekton

Based on the number of loads, I'd imagine an SSD would be a much better experience in this case. Like the other games, the transition between interior and exterior require a load and based on the console load times, they can be lengthy, though I'm sure even on an HDD they will be shorter, generally, on PC.
Also X1 was facing major issues likely due to HDD load/streaming, so I imagine this would help nicely.

Durante

Just took another look and they appear OK. Ultra is slightly softer and less accurate on the bottom left of the picture. If you're referring to another image/example send me the specifics and I'll double check.
No, the URL is fine, in the article there are two "Ultra vs. Medium" entries in the table.

Native 21:9? Pretty sure Skyrim had it.

Definitely not the case here:

80AfhAp.jpg

1Z8ikPd.jpg

qN3xS5D.jpg

If there's an INI tweak to fix the text stretching and misaligned menu boxes, I haven't seen it yet.

I'm confused.
Here you recommend a 980ti for 1440p max settings @60fps average
fallout-4-recommended-nvidia-geforce-gtx-gpus.png

While here, you recommend the same but at 39fps average:
fallout-4-nvidia-geforce-gtx-900-series-performance-640px.png

Paganmoon

Any more sites other than the German one coming out with benchmarks? Curious if any sites have tested out Crossfire/SLI performance.

GavinUK86

I can't play the game at 40fps man. Going to have to lock it at 30.

It's going to be hard to adjust after playing The Witcher 3, and Mad Max on my pc at 60fps over the past couple of months!

Or you could just knock the most expensive settings to high and keep the 60fps?

I can't play the game at 40fps man. Going to have to lock it at 30.

It's going to be hard to adjust after playing The Witcher 3, and Mad Max on my pc at 60fps over the past couple of months!

You don't need to play at Ultra settings. I'd consider tweaking some settings before locking to 30 fps. That's such a huge sacrifice and likely due to a setting here or there that makes little difference to the overall graphics quality.

Phinor

Antialiasing options are really disappointing. Two different ways to blur the screen, and that's it.

Then again, that seems to be the case with most new big budget games.

Shari

40fps on a 970 with ultra settings with what the game is putting on screen is ridiculous.

What a shame.

Or you could just knock the most expensive settings to high and keep the 60fps?

Yeah I guess. Just sucks after playing both Witcher 3 and Mad Max at ultra settings 60fps and have to sacrifice on a game like Fallout 4, which lets be honest, isn't the graphical showcase quite like those two games mentioned above are!

Either way i'm in it for that atmosphere. I can't wait to experience the soundtrack :D

Kezen

Banned
From the comparison, the first thing I'd do is reduce the god ray quality to medium. Seems excessively expensive.

The difference between high and ultra is not massive indeed, to some it will not be worth the performance hit.
But this does not matter, what matters is that we have the choice.

I'm probably not getting this game any time soon but should upgrade from my GTX 560 Ti and my i5 2500k when I eventually do? Im fine with running at medium settings at 1080p as long as I can hover around 50-60 fps but I'm not sure I can do that with my current specs.

ido

i5-3570k OC'd to 4.2
16GB RAM
970 FTW

Will do whatever it takes to maintain 60FPS. Hopefully won't have to dip below high, and can even toggle Ultra on a few settings.

I'm at work today, hoping this thread really takes off because I am very curious about the benchmarks.

AlanOC91

Hmmm I was hoping to comfortably play this on my 980ti at 4k res comfrotable :/

I can get around 40+ fps on the Witcher 3 at 4k so hopefully if I turn off AA and notch down 1 or 2 more settings then it will play nicely.

aravuus

As expected, insane mouse lag in the menus, probably in-game too. How do I turn off vsync?

At least I hope it's that

AndyBNV

Nvidia
No, the URL is fine, in the article there are two "Ultra vs. Medium" entries in the table.

Ah! Thank you.

I'm confused.
Here you recommend a 980ti for 1440p max settings @60fps average
fallout-4-recommended-nvidia-geforce-gtx-gpus.png

While here, you recommend the same but at 39fps average:
fallout-4-nvidia-geforce-gtx-900-series-performance-640px.png

Top is High, bottom is Max settings.

From the comparison, the first thing I'd do is reduce the god ray quality to medium. Seems excessively expensive.

It's a decent compromise, though this does happen at lower detail levels: http://images.nvidia.com/geforce-co...interactive-comparison-005-ultra-vs-high.html Most noticeable during Radstorms in foliage-thick areas.

Andy, any way to enable HBAO+ through Nvidia Inspector?

You may be able to find a pre-existing profile that works, but there isn't one specifically designed for Fallout 4, as there was for Metal Gear Phantom Pain.

Antialiasing options are really disappointing. Two different ways to blur the screen, and that's it.

Never look at AA off and your eyes will adapt. Combo it some with downsampling and it's amazing.

Top Bottom