• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 PC Ultra screenshots

ISee

The game requires Steam, right?

And does anyone know if the Pip Boy Edition comes with a Steam key in the case?

Saw a PC Pip boy edition unboxing. It's one DVD (not all data obviously, similar to the standard PC edition) + the code.

Excellent post... I have said the same things over and over, but it is like you say it man, hipsters.

Also people need to understand that we expect different standards when it comes to major devs like Bethesda. The guys have a ton of resources and it is inexcusable to offer such a visually sub par game. Its not like they are some indie or low budget dev...and no its not because they "focused their resources in player interaction", you guys act as if this game is ages ahead of previous Fallout titles.

Its clear as day that this game was intended to release on last gen systems.

Bethesda have been putting out 'visually subpar' games for years compared to the competition. Not sure why people expected anything different from them.

I'd imagine you are the same people that would have a hissy fit if they took twice as long to make the next Elder Scrolls if they had to create an engine from scratch just to satisfy the whiners.

People cry for more Fallout, they make more Fallout and its somehow not good enough, never change internet.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Why make good graphics when some other poor people will mod the game and then sell the mod on Steam?

bethesda stated all mods should be free, didn't they?

valkyre

Bethesda have been putting out 'visually subpar' games for years compared to the competition. Not sure why people expected anything different from them.

I'd imagine you are the same people that would have a hissy fit if they took twice as long to make the next Elder Scrolls if they had to create an engine from scratch just to satisfy the whiners.

People cry for more Fallout, they make more Fallout and its somehow not good enough, never change internet.

Not again this shit that Bethesda never put out a graphically good -even great- looking game...

Both Oblivion and Skyrim were wonderful games to look at, hence why you wont find such criticism in their respective threads...

People need to stop with these lame excuses.

ISee

thank you,

wonder how big the disc vs the download part. I'd be happy if it's at least half.

No way. Game is around 30gb (a bit less I think, but...).
Even a dual layer DVD has a capacity of only around 8,5gb, but my guess would be 4,7gb of data on a single layer DVD. I'll not even bother to insert the disc and just unlock the game on steam and then start to download.

Red Hood

Banned
Do we know how many employees worked on Fallout 4? (source please) I'm curious. Skyrim had about 90-100 apparently, not that much compared to your average AAA game I think.

roytheone

Not again this shit that Bethesda never put out a graphically good -even great- looking game...

Both Oblivion and Skyrim were wonderful games to look at, hence why you wont find such criticism in their respective threads...

Yeah, I always find it strange when people say that. Oblivion was the first "next gen" game I played from that generation, and I was blown away by it. It looked incredible to me back then.

Yeah, I always find it strange when people say that. Oblivion was the first "next gen" game I played from that generation, and I was blown away by it. It looked incredible to me back then.

I always thought Oblivion was ugly on consoles. Too much bloom and low-res textures.

The game had some serious framerate issues and the extremely low res textures in the distance were really bad. They had to downscale the graphics a lot compared to the initial videos.

Though, since this is the PC thread and not another thread I thought I was in, then yeah, it looked pretty good on PC, but it still had some issues for sure. It definitely required some mods to look good.

I'm not making excuses. I'm just not holding Bethesda up on such a high pedestal, just shows how pathetic you are when you belittle people who don't really care about the graphics as "hipsters".

Look at Fallout 3, then look at Fallout 4. If the graphics are significantly improved enough then shut up whining.

https://www.vg247.com/2015/11/04/fallout-4-vs-fallout-3-comparison-shots-show-how-far-weve-come/

OtisInf

You clearly have no idea how ENB works :p

Just to set you straight, no, it won't. FO3 ENB is DX9. FO4 is DX11. These are not cross compatible.

ENB has to be hand-crafted on a per-game basis, and the only DX11 game Borris has ever done is GTA5. He gave up after putting in anti-aliasing. I suspect DX11 is a lot more complicated for him to code for. If he didn't want to do it for a game as huge as GTA5... I have to wonder how much incentive he'll have for Fallout 4. I'm just hoping a lot since it's a Bethesda title which are notorious for being mod-magnets.

It will be easier though than GTA. AFAIK, ENB intercepts drawcalls to DX9 and can inject its own code in between (hence the better lighing etc. as it has access to everything, not just the final framebuffer and occasional depthbuffer). As he already has experience with building an ENB for the DX9 version of gamebryo, it could very well be making one for the DX11 version isn't a big step like the one from scratch for GTA. But it will take some time, as with all mods. That's the funny part really of the "but mods will fix it!" remark: when you're done with the game, the mods which are worth using will appear, so if you buy it at launch, you likely have to play through the game without many mods.

Let's hope at least the console commands still work like TM, TFC and the like to create screenshots :)

valkyre

I'm not making excuses. I'm just not holding Bethesda up on such a high pedestal, just shows how pathetic you are when you belittle people who don't really care about the graphics as "hipsters".

Look at Fallout 3, then look at Fallout 4. If the graphics are significantly improved enough then shut up whining.

https://www.vg247.com/2015/11/04/fallout-4-vs-fallout-3-comparison-shots-show-how-far-weve-come/

You got some nerve to be calling me out for belittling, when in your original post you did the same using "hissy" and "whiners" and now you opt to go ahead and call me "pathetic" and to "shut up".

Very good. Such class.

10000x better? doesn't even look 2x better lol

Do you remember what NV looks like?

Heres a quick reminder.
558556-fallout-new-vegas-playstation-3-screenshot-legion-patrol-appeared.jpg

Armaly

Is it just me or does something look off with the first dog screenshot? Like it looks like the front half of the dog is fine then everywhere else it looks malnourished.

Jonm1010

Banned
Lol, I just finished New Vegas on PC a few hours ago. New Vegas looks like shit compared to 4.

Yeah, now THAT is a game I struggled to get into because of graphics.

Fallout 4 isnt beautiful but thats why I have a PC. Skyrim with mods is still one of the best looking games around.

Getting tired of people being so dismissive of games having poor visual presentations. While, yes, graphics are not necessarily the be all end all for every single game, to say that the visuals of a VIDEO game aren't important is patently absurd. I feel like those who say that graphics aren't important are like the hipsters of the gaming scene. The "I was there before graphics WERE graphics maan!!" type. There used to be a time where reviews actually *gasp* RATED the quality of a game's graphics!! And I find it bothersome that we've entered this time where graphics are looked at as being "unimportant" when the visual fidelity of a game is vital to our own mental immersion in said game, ESPECIALLY considering how much more dense and complex the worlds of these games are becoming. When a developer goes through that much trouble but everything looks "wrong" it shatters the illusion. Imagine if Marvel released a new Avengers title that featured effects on par with a sy fy channel movie. People would flip. Same thing goes here. Games are, at their core, a visual medium. It's a bit silly to say that the quality of those visuals don't matter. As for this game in particular, it very much looks as if Fallout 4 was initially fully intentioned to see release on the last gen consoles. Before they hit a memory ceiling with the size of the world they wanted to create and thus HAD to migrate it to the new consoles but lacking the time necessary to make significant changes to the renderer. I'll still buy the game and play it next week and probably enjoy it a great deal. But the visuals ARE a disappointment. And it's OK that that matters to some people.

People around here aren't ever 'dismissive' when a game has a poor visual showing. They harp on it, day in, day out, like that's the premier metric that games should be judged by, the main element of a game that should be considered before a purchase, if the game is backed by a name more than five people in that thread can recognize. Because that's how AAA works, I guess? If you're a successful game developer, that means you'd better learn to melt my eyes off, 'cuz that's pretty much the only thing I care about! And there's the reason why I'm not joining in this chorus of applause for your post - I never said that people shouldn't judge games based on their visuals, but some of the people in these threads seem to believe that it's wholly appropriate to judge the entire quality of a game, and the level of work its creators put in, solely based on the visual fidelity of the game. And as for someone who's willing to look beyond a game's visuals and emphasize the enjoyable experience they'll have with the game, someone who urges others to do the same?

Or in other words, the typical attitude expressed toward almost every single one of the hundreds or thousands of games released every single year that don't have that nebulous AAA label tacked on? The type of attitude commonly found in userbases of platforms whose upcoming lineup usually isn't propped up almost entirely by games that sell themselves on their technological wonder first and foremost?

Well those people, they're just hipsters. They're off base for not allowing their disappointment with the visuals to color their perception of the quality of every single 'part' that contributes to the 'sum', the game.

Yeah, I don't like that. Maybe it's because I only recently started gaming on PC almost exclusively, but in the last year or so I've been exposed to dozens of games I never thought I'd enjoy, that rely on so much more than their visuals to bring a quality experience. And while graphics are always 'part' of the equation, you'd think going by the discussion in here that they're the only part of a game that even merits any level of serious analysis or discussion. We get a dozen or two dozen posts when a new mechanic is touched upon in a leak or in impressions. Graphics? Hundreds of pages.

Anyone can think whatever they want about the graphics. I just get caught up in the hyperbole, personally. Half of the people I've responded to up to this point were the ones whom I believed couldn't make an objective comparison or analysis if their lives depended on it (and don't get me wrong, I've gone overboard a few times myself in my own flawed comparisons), because according to those people, these graphics aren't just 'underwhelming', or 'disappointing', or 'shitty' - they're PS3/360 level, when they're not. They're indicative of a lazy, cheap, budget developer with a lazy, cheap, budget dev process, when they're not. They're indicative of a 'piss poor', 'awful', 'terrible' game, when they're not. And of course, they're the only element of the game that merits discussion, or the only element of the game that ought to factor into your decision to support it, when they're not.

Xiraiya

You know what, I was thoroughly underwhelmed when I first saw the game, but seeing it looking so crisp and smooth really benefits that art style, in kind of a huge way actually.

The game is "pleasant" to look at like this. But unfortunately it's also a thing where you can just feel it looking bad on anything less than ultra, which worries me. Because I had the stance of "If the game looks this dated, it should run basically maxed out and at 60 on current gen consoles" Which in the age of aliasing, would be sort of a godsend for consoles.

Either way, I'll be playing it on PC so it'll be nice enough regardless.

I've a feeling (at least from the gameplay we've seen) it's just the motion blur used during VATS attacks, Fallout 3 had a similar option as I recall
That would be kind of funny actually.
Funny and disappointing D:
Digital Foundry said:
Motion blur: Boasted as a new feature in its technology breakdown, motion blur is rarely in evidence in Fallout 4. Neither per object or screen blur are in play when panning the camera or performing a melee attack, though the setting is clearly available as a checkbox on PC's settings menu. The closest we've seen to its use is a shader effect that kicks in when grenades and mines trigger off nearby. It's fair to say the use of motion blur is sparing at best, and we had hoped to see more from the effect.
Only radial blur: Laughing and crying at the same time.

FoxSpirit

Errr, the diner part looks pretty much the same.
2015-11-02_00002.jpg

wOe76A8.png

Maybe LOD and shadows are much better.
Holy crap, hasn't anyone noticed that PC screen lacks paralax occlusion mapping or whatever is used in the PS4 version.
Bricks have zero depth on PC, the sheetmetal with the stripe lacks the intendation stripes, look at the pipe next to the logo, hell, look at the logo itself.

I hope this isn't gonna be a new Arkham with graphic effects on PC broken.

Holy crap, hasn't anyone noticed that PC screen lacks paralax occlusion mapping or whatever is used in the PS4 version.
Bricks have zero depth on PC, the sheetmetal with the stripe lacks the intendation stripes, look at the pipe next to the logo, hell, look at the logo itself.

I assume you are being sarcastic, but the game does not use POM for environemental textures, at all... for any version.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member

I assume you are being sarcastic, but the game does not use POM for environemental textures, at all... for any version.
Yeah, that's just the camera angle/lighting catching the normals differently.

This is sarcasm right?

Top Bottom