• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 PC Ultra screenshots

Wallach

I've got a 4790k and a 970. I have a feeling in the end I'll probably wind up locking this at 30 FPS with everything maxed, downscaled from 2160. I'd be nice if it held 60 at that resolution but I suspect it won't.

Jc3oF7J.jpg

sikkinixx

Looks on PC how I expected it to look on PS4. Very nervous for release day and my PS4 copy. Wish I had a decent enough PC to run it well.

4Tran

.....before digital color grading people used to do it by hand. Well, chemicals. It was always a thing.

Its not fooled, it works. If you want to use a blue sky sure, but you best show some other way, aesthetic wise that it's set in a post apocalyptic setting.
The difference is that in the days of analog color grading, the job was difficult and it required a lot of skill to apply, but digital color grading is cheap and just about anyone can do it. That means that a lot of seminal works in the post-apocalyptic genre would still have natural colors, and the modern interpretation "color coding = genre" is much less widespread.

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
But they have various departments working on the game. It's not like the guys working on making the thing look pretty aren't working throughout the duration of development.

Not really an accurate picture of game development. The graphics programmers/artists work within the confines of the engine and the target platforms. The engine in this case being one designed around ease of use, scalability, and balls fast iteration times. The creation kit (or whatever it will be called) is the backbone of not just the modding community, but the Bethesda devs themselves in charge of world building, which has always been their main creative focus. The longer it takes the engine to bake lighting/post-process/whatever, the less time there is for the developers to build an interactive world (and the harder it is for modders to do their stuff). Game dev is a process of resource allocation, and Bethesda has decided for better or worse to embrace the sandbox/simulation idea of open world games over explicitly scripted events.

Comparisons to other open world games (coughwitcher3cough) aren't exactly fair because they aren't doing the same things ES/Fallout games are doing with hundreds of physically interactive world objects and easy to use system-level mod support. Not saying it's impossible for this game to look better than it does, but it (for example) would probably be impossible for CDPR to release a settlement building update on par with Fallout 4's simply because of how the respective engines work differently.

That got rant-y on me, but it annoys me when people imply the artists or developers aren't doing enough or aren't working hard. FO4 is a very clear graphical upgrade from Skyrim in every way, but if you play games primarily for the razor sharp textures or superbly mo-capped animations then none of Bethesda Game Studios' games will ever satisfy you. Different priorities.

In my opinion, that looks extremely unimpressive. Fortunately Bethesda titles are always really friendly to modding, so the issues with muddy textures, low-poly models and ambient occlusion / lighting should be cleaned up pretty quickly by the community. Vanilla Skyrim was hardly a looker and the modding community turned that one into one of the most visually stunning games of its time.

My school network blocks these upload sites as they fall within the "Proxy avoidance" category.

Wondered why screenshot threads have been so broken for me lately.

Looks decent, kinda what I expected from a Bethesda game. Can't wait to see what mods will make the game look like in 6 months

Hoje0308

Banned
Not really an accurate picture of game development. The graphics programmers/artists work within the confines of the engine and the target platforms. The engine in this case being one designed around ease of use, scalability, and balls fast iteration times. The creation kit (or whatever it will be called) is the backbone of not just the modding community, but the Bethesda devs themselves in charge of world building, which has always been their main creative focus. The longer it takes the engine to bake lighting/post-process/whatever, the less time there is for the developers to build an interactive world (and the harder it is for modders to do their stuff). Game dev is a process of resource allocation, and Bethesda has decided for better or worse to embrace the sandbox/simulation idea of open world games over explicitly scripted events.

Comparisons to other open world games (coughwitcher3cough) aren't exactly fair because they aren't doing the same things ES/Fallout games are doing with hundreds of physically interactive world objects and easy to use system-level mod support. Not saying it's impossible for this game to look better than it does, but it (for example) would probably be impossible for CDPR to release a settlement building update on par with Fallout 4's simply because of how the respective engines work differently.

That got rant-y on me, but it annoys me when people imply the artists or developers aren't doing enough or aren't working hard. FO4 is a very clear graphical upgrade from Skyrim in every way, but if you play games primarily for the razor sharp textures or superbly mo-capped animations then none of Bethesda Game Studios' games will ever satisfy you. Different priorities.

Yeah, I oversimplified, but I was arguing against the assertion that Bethesda are simply choosing to spend X amount of money on gameplay and Y amount on graphics. And not once did I imply that the devs are lazy or lacking in talent, nor have I said anything negative about the presentation. If that last paragraph was meant for me, you should probably calm yourself before making assumptions.

RedSwirl

I already thought the PS4 shots looked fine. This looks even more... fine. Not Witcher 3-tier, but good enough for me, and certainly still a generational leap from Fallout 3.

I'm saying the talk of them choosing one or the other (graphics or gameplay) seems to ignore some pretty obvious facts. Sure, they can hire more staff that specialize in things like level design, AI, game mechanics, etc. but it's not so easy as just saying, "Let's spend money on gameplay instead of graphics."

Yeah, the real conversation was probably more like "we are shipping holiday 2015. Get it done, bitches." The time and money allotted got us here. There would only be two choices for getting better graphics. More money, or more time. And time is money.

if you told me these were from PS4 i'd believe you.

aesthetically it looks much better though.

also like the low hanging clouds on the mountains. not bad!

SliChillax

Looks great to me. Will look even better in motion at 60fps and 4K. Hopefully there will be some way to force HBAO+

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
It will probably run on my crappy laptop, so I'm glad that the game isn't a looker.

Hoje0308

Banned
Yeah, the real conversation was probably more like "we are shipping holiday 2015. Get it done, bitches." The time and money allotted got us here. There would only be two choices for getting better graphics. More money, or more time. And time is money.

Plus we have no idea how resource intensive the rest of the game is. The level of customization in regards to weaponry sounds like it's going to extensive, to say the least, and then there's the base building to consider on top of the usual Fallout stuff.

SlickVic

Where did these come from? reviewers got PC copies?

Yeah kinda surprised that no one really seems curious about this. The physical copies comes on DVD that doesn't have the full game files on there and needs to download additional files from Steam, not to mention Steamworks will block activation before release. If someone found a way to bypass all of this, I'm pretty sure this would be the bigger news story by now.

So it seems like either someone got these shots straight from Bethesda somehow, or as you said, they've been allowing reviewers/gaming press access to the PC version in some form. Didn't hear anything about the latter, but I suppose it's possible.

Plasmid

Yeah kinda surprised that no one really seems curious about this. The physical copies comes on DVD's that probably doesn't have the full game files on there and needs to download additional files from Steam, not to mention Steamworks will block activation before release. If someone found a way to bypass all of this, I'm pretty sure this would be the bigger news story by now.

So it seems like either someone got these shots straight from Bethesda somehow, or as you said, they've been allowing reviewers/gaming press access to the PC version in some form. Didn't hear anything about the latter, but I suppose it's possible.

Aren't reviewers allowed PC versions and early unlock? Just not noticeable through steam?

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
Yeah, I oversimplified, but I was arguing against the assertion that Bethesda are simply choosing to spend X amount of money on gameplay and Y amount on graphics. And not once did I imply that the devs are lazy or lacking in talent, nor have I said anything negative about the presentation. If that last paragraph was meant for me, you should probably calm yourself before making assumptions.

Wasn't meant to attack you, no worries. Just seems easier for certain people to dog
meat
pile on the devs than acknowledge the realities of time and budget constraints. Even considering Skyrim sold like a bazillion copies, this game had to be finished at some point. Building a new engine that could be as flexible as Creation AND a graphical powerhouse would presumably take longer than a one-game lifecycle.

SlickVic

Aren't reviewers allowed PC versions and early unlock? Just not noticeable through steam?

Yeah, I think this is possible, but remains very game dependent. A lot of multiplatform releases you just see a note on how the reviewed is based on the PS4 review build because that was what was provided to them. They don't always give out PC review code beforehand, which as an example, is what led to the big surprise when Arkham Knight came out on PC. I don't remember what Bethesda has done in the past regarding games like Skyrim and whether they gave people access to the PC version for review purposes.

Wasn't meant to attack you, no worries. Just seems easier for certain people to dog
meat
pile on the devs than acknowledge the realities of time and budget constraints. Even considering Skyrim sold like a bazillion copies, this game had to be finished at some point. Building a new engine that could be as flexible as Creation AND a graphical powerhouse would presumably take longer than a one-game lifecycle.

I get what you're saying, but I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility for it to look much better. Witcher 2 came out around the same time as Skyrim and we see how much of an improvement Witcher 3 was over it from a much smaller developer. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect similar levels of improvement in the same amount of time from a bigger/more successful company. That said, I don't think laziness has anything to do with it, as playing it safe does. I think they didn't want to have such vast performance differences and bugs as pretty much every Elder Scrolls/Fallout game has had and they spent a lot of time ensuring that. Which makes me think that's where Todd Howard's "It just works" comment stems from.

aravuus

Looks okay. I was hoping for a bigger jump in quality from the PS4 shots.

Your obsession with this stuff is almost concerning lol. You say you're just gonna enjoy the game and ignore the haters, but it really looks like they're getting to you.

e: any word on the framerate? I assume a 970 can hold a stable 60fps, but guess you never know

Top Bottom