• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 PC Ultra screenshots

Floody

Besides the painted on windows, it looks good. Kinda want to see that packed city from one of the trailers up close though, wonder how much of it is actually explorable, and how much is just for show.

I'm on mobile so not sure if this is accurate but is this a pretty decent step up from the PS4 shots? It appears that way to me.

That said you can still see the main issues with the engine but they look a good bit better no?

ZoddGutts

A game looking like that is fine since I'll run at 60fps easily at PC. Consoles on the other hand looking worse and not even running at 60fps despite looking the way it does is a bit disappointing. Well thankfully I'll be getting the PC version, gotta get my new Vid Card though.

Jobbs

Banned
I'm on mobile so not sure if this is accurate but is this a pretty decent step up from the PS4 shots? It appears that way to me.

That said you can still see the main issues with the engine but they look a good bit better no?

From what I can tell the most noticable difference from PS4 is the draw distance particularly as it pertains to shadows.

Yea, in about the general ways you would expect from a PC version.

How CPU intensive do we think this is going to be? I have a 970, but my CPU is below the recommended (I have a stock i5-3570k). I'm hoping I can still get 1080/60 at ultra.

Have same specs as you, also curious. I'll be happy at locked 30 tbh, with the recommended intel not holding my breath for anything better.

SparkTR

The game isn't pushing anything visually but it looks like it'll clean up really well in terms of image quality, which is good enough for me at this point.

EatingCrow1.jpg

christ, we get it.

on topic: oh sweet nectar!

May have to get this one on the ol gaming PC.

Looks pretty good to me. I'm glad they got around to making this game more colorful than the last two, really makes things pop and just overall look more appealing..well, as appealing as a post-nuclear war setting can look.

You can do both of things can't you?

This is all "in theory". But, if in theory the choice is to spend millions more to make the game prettier, or spend those millions on making the game better in some way, I'm all for a dev choosing the latter. Shit, I'm okay with a dev saying they're not going to do either, just going to make the game development cheaper. And this is from a crazy person who owns a Titan X.

4Tran

Sometimes I wonder where this whole "the post apocalypse is a desert with a yellow/green sky" thing comes from. Is it from The Road Warrior? Because the sky was blue in The Road Warrior, and the reason it was a desert is because it was in Australia, which is already a giant desert.

Fallout 1 and 2 were in a desert too because... it took place in the American Southwest, which is also already a desert. What little artwork showed the sky in those games showed a blue one.
I think that it comes from Hollywood after digital color grading started getting popular. After that point, the movie watching public got fooled into thinking that certain topics are supposed to be associated with certain colors. A blue sky works against that, so the movies (and the games influenced by them) don't have one.

If you didn't know what Fallout was, Fallout4 looks visually mediocre for a video game released in 2015.

Im sure it will be an awesome game. I hear these are best on PC, like Skyrim.

RdN

It looks OK, nothing more, nothing less.

But, man.. If this is a PC running ultra settings, somewhat afraid of what the console versions are going to be like.

Its so weird seeing a Fallout with blue skies. I like it though!

Definitely eating some crow too. PS4 version looks fantastic. The PC ultra looks better.

Eh... I don't know, visually this just isn't doing much for me. Even beyond the technical shortcomings of the visuals, I think its the setting that isn't really cutting it for me.

This seems to have the same problem as I had with Fallout 3 where the wasteland just seems super generic without much identifiable geography and I say this as somebody who's from the Northeast/New England. New Vegas just felt great since the Wasteland had its own geographic identity of being in the southwest. Whereas like in Fallout 3, the Capital Wasteland outside of DC itself was just some generic landscape and this seems to be kind of more of the same.

Hoje0308

Banned
This is all "in theory". But, if in theory the choice is to spend millions more to make the game prettier, or spend those millions on making the game better in some way, I'm all for a dev choosing the latter. Shit, I'm okay with a dev saying they're not going to do either, just going to make the game development cheaper. And this is from a crazy person who owns a Titan X.

But they have various departments working on the game. It's not like the guys working on making the thing look pretty aren't working throughout the duration of development.

I think that it comes from Hollywood after digital color grading started getting popular. After that point, the movie watching public got fooled into thinking that certain topics are supposed to be associated with certain colors. A blue sky works against that, so the movies (and the games influenced by them) don't have one.
.....before digital color grading people used to do it by hand. Well, chemicals. It was always a thing.

Its not fooled, it works. If you want to use a blue sky sure, but you best show some other way, aesthetic wise that it's set in a post apocalyptic setting.

Chiggs

It's really not that impressive, though much better than the previous screens we saw in that one thread.

This is one game where I wish I had a sick PC setup, like a SICK one, so I could max the game out and spend 200 hours in my room engrossed

oceanskie

Banned
The apparent lack of HBAO+ definitely hurts the overall presentation. Perhaps this is something that can be remedied by mods later on?

Yeah I understand the broad ideas your talking about but in my personal opinion I would think making the game look "prettier" also means the game would be "better."

It looks OK, nothing more, nothing less.

But, man.. If this is a PC running ultra settings, somewhat afraid of what the console versions are going to be like.

The consoles version are fine. There's a png PS4 thread that got locked on gaf.

itt : people who play Fallout for graphics >> wat

Sure, people don't care about graphics in Fallout games.
That's why don't have any graphical enhancement mods on nexus, right? People just don't give a damn about them.

But they have various departments working on the game. It's not like the guys working on making the thing look pretty aren't working throughout the duration of development.

What are you meaning exactly? They chose for it to look this bad? They're incompetent? Or, this is what they could do with the time allotted? Which of those three seems the most likely?
I'd go with three with possibly a side of two, but who knows.

Yeah I understand the broad ideas your talking about but in my personal opinion I would think making the game look "prettier" also means the game would be "better."

I agree, for sure. Like I said, I own a Titan X. So, obviously I'm a fucking idiot for pretties. But, there is a part of me that is sympathetic to the companies when it comes to the constant one-upping that is expected of them.

Hoje0308

Banned
What are you meaning exactly? They chose for it to look this bad? They're incompetent? Or, this is what they could do with the time allotted? Which of those three seems the most likely?
I'd go with three with possibly a side of two, but who knows.

I'm saying the talk of them choosing one or the other (graphics or gameplay) seems to ignore some pretty obvious facts. Sure, they can hire more staff that specialize in things like level design, AI, game mechanics, etc. but it's not so easy as just saying, "Let's spend money on gameplay instead of graphics."

People are still unimpressed? Ya'll need help.

Every individual has their own standard. These message boards (and life in general) would be pretty uneventful if that were not the case.

Looks like an improvement over the PS4 screens but hopefully can still be improved through .ini tweaks or forced in driver settings. Shadows are still lacking and needs AO badly.

Top Bottom