• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 PS+ Users are not able to update to the PS5 version

skit_data

Yup, I noticed.
I owned a physical copy of Fallout 4 but gave it to a friend because it was included in PS+. At first I thought there was some bug in PS Store but then I remembered I actually got my digital copy from PS+ so it made sense that I had to pay for the upgrade.

Haven't tried it yet, I should probably try to check it out before Stellar Blade drops tonight.

Mr Moose

If you think it's a PS+ issue then how could it have been fixed several times but still happen? It's the publisher that needs to enable it for their games and often they don't realise they need to enable it.
They probably never thought about it, because it's a different version (PS+ version shows a PS+ icon next to it, and you lose access to it if PS+ ends). They would probably need to make a new PS5 version to "fix" this (not sure if you lose access to games that have allowed PS+ updates before if your sub ends).

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
it was a publisher choice, Square was saying that before FFVII Remake even went up on PS+

it didn’t come to PS+ users until much later (~6 months after the free upgrade was available for paid users)

the reasoning as I understand it is because if they give a free upgrade to the PS5 version of a PS4 game which the user got via PS+, instead of being tied to their PS+ sub the user now flat out owns the PS5 version (this happened when I upgraded my copy of Subnautica which I had from PS+ but it’s now no longer tied to my PS+ sub in my library)

The original choice to not allow the PS5 version was deliberate, they made that clear in the blurb and that is not a problem at all.

But later when they started offering the Intergrade version on PS5, people who already owned it were unable to upgrade it via PS+

The VGC article is set half a year after the 2021 article from your post.

If you think it's a PS+ issue then how could it have been fixed several times but still happen? It's the publisher that needs to enable it for their games and often they don't realise they need to enable it.

I don't think entitlement for one game transfers over to universal entitlements for all games. Bethesda support have already responded on Discord that they're looking into it, it'll probably be fixed soon.

Again, this is a known PSN issue, I'm not sure why this is being turned into a Bethesda issue.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I think each "fix" is an individual case fix. They would have to redesign their entire digital cataloging system to fix it system-wide. Something like what MS did when they announced Smart Delivery like it was a big deal but none of us knew what it really meant. It means they updated their back end to allow more seamless updates, and PS can't really do that without a massive rewrite of the store and system UI.

Three

I think each "fix" is an individual case fix. They would have to redesign their entire digital cataloging system to fix it system-wide. Something like what MS did when they announced Smart Delivery like it was a big deal but none of us knew what it really meant. It means they updated their back end to allow more seamless updates, and PS can't really do that without a massive rewrite of the store and system UI.
I don't think entitlement for one game transfers over to universal entitlements for all games. Bethesda support have already responded on Discord that they're looking into it, it'll probably be fixed soon.

Again, this is a known PSN issue, I'm not sure why this is being turned into a Bethesda issue.

What would this fix entail for it to be an individual case fix for each game? It's related to how licencing is done but is in the hands of the publisher to decide and isn't related to something on the backend that PS need to fix over and over again for each game. The PS4 and PS5 versions of games are different on PS but the publisher needs to sort licencing to give the PS5 version free to those who have the PS4 version from PS+. It isn't something Sony "fixes", it's something the publisher must do regarding licenses and often doesn't. Sony isn’t even allowed to do it without the publisher's consent as licensing on PS4 and PS5 is different. So Bethesda need to sort out licencing for the game and offer the free upgrade for those that have a PS4 PS+ license. That's all. It doesn't need a backend fix from Sony.

ManaByte

Does this version solve all creative engine issues?
Laugh So Hard Life Of The Party GIF by HULU

Punished Miku

Gold Member
What would this fix entail for it to be an individual case fix for each game? It's related to how licencing is done but is in the hands of the publisher to decide and isn't related to something on the backend that PS need to fix over and over again for each game. The PS4 and PS5 versions of games are different on PS but the publisher needs to sort licencing to give the PS5 version free to those who have the PS4 version from PS+. It isn't something Sony "fixes", it's something the publisher must do regarding licenses and often doesn't. Sony isn’t even allowed to do it without the publisher's consent as licensing on PS4 and PS5 is different. So Bethesda need to sort out licencing for the game and offer the free upgrade for those that have a PS4 PS+ license. That's all. It doesn't need a backend fix from Sony.
I don't know, I'm not a programmer. I just know on PSN they have a PS4 version of a game, a PS5 version of a game, a PS+ version of a game, minimum. For every game. On Xbox you have just 1 version of a game, and it just patches it to fit whatever you're playing on without you doing anything. I think PS would just have to basically make a new store and redesign it from the ground up, which I'm sure they can do, but probably are just avoiding because its a huge project.

Individual case fix, I don't know what they do. They probably have to manually alter the entitlements for PS+ users and change it to a newer version somehow. Sony has the Fallout update. It's available for people. Sony has to enable it for PS+ entitlements.

Last edited:

adamsapple

I don't know, I'm not a programmer. I just know on PSN they have a PS4 version of a game, a PS5 version of a game, a PS+ version of a game, minimum. For every game. On Xbox you have just 1 version of a game, and it just patches it to fit whatever you're playing on without you doing anything. I think PS would just have to basically make a new store and redesign it from the ground up, which I'm sure they can do, but probably are just avoiding because its a huge project.

Individual case fix, I don't know what they do. They probably have to manually alter the entitlements for PS+ users and change it to a newer version somehow. Sony has the Fallout update. It's available for people. Sony has to enable it for PS+ entitlements.

PS Plus and licensing related issues aren't new, they've been around since before the gen even began. Issues like users not being able to even buy a game if they'd 'redeemed' it before. It's an archaic system and hopefully they fix it by the next gen.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
PS Plus and licensing related issues aren't new, they've been around since before the gen even began. Issues like users not being able to even buy a game if they'd 'redeemed' it before. It's an archaic system and hopefully they fix it by the next gen.

If they're planning a PS store on PC someday, this is the time to scrap it all and start over. I remember these issues with crossbuy and the multiple versions on PS3, Vita, etc.

Last edited:

Three

They could very easily consolidate PS4/PS5 versions of games if they have permission from the publishers, it wouldn't be a huge project at all.

The reason they haven't is due to having different PS4/PS5 licenses by design and offering the $10 upgrade system as an option to publishers. It is a more complicated system but one which publishers can choose to not participate in and offer the same thing (as in all licenses are available from any single purchase or PS+). It's a system that offers more for the publisher and is a harder system to maintain, not due to trying to make it easier. Publishers just sometimes decide not to offer this, to sell more expensive 'bundles' which includes both or not have specific versions get free upgrades but charge $10. Publishers very easily can have the one purchase with all versions and all upgrades offered free though. Sometimes they intentionally don't or sometimes it's an oversight that they forgot to include specific licenses. It isn't related to "individual case fixes" from Sony on the backend though. It's a publisher driven decision/fix. The backend allows the publisher to make more choices unlike a single license system. Some make decisions intentionally others not. Bethesda will need to look at their licensing and decide whether they want to allow the PS+ licences to be able to upgrade for free. Sony doesn't need to fix anything on the backend.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
They could very easily consolidate PS4/PS5 versions of games if they have permission from the publishers, it wouldn't be a huge project at all.

The reason they haven't is due to having different PS4/PS5 licenses by design and offering the $10 upgrade system as an option to publishers. It is a more complicated system but one which publishers can choose to not participate in and offer the same thing (as in all licenses are available from any single purchase or PS+). It's a system that offers more for the publisher and is a harder system to maintain, not due to trying to make it easier. Publishers just sometimes decide not to offer this, to sell more expensive 'bundles' which includes both or not have specific versions get free upgrades but charge $10. Publishers very easily can have the one purchase with all versions and all upgrades offered free though. Sometimes they intentionally don't, sometimes it's an oversight that they forgot to include specific licenses. It isn't related to "individual case fixes" from Sony on the backend though. It's a publisher driven decision/fix. The backend allows the publisher to make more choices unlike a single license system. Some make decisions intentionally others not. Bethesda will need to look at their licensing and decide whether they want to allow the PS+ licences to be able to upgrade for free. Sony doesn't need to fix anything on the backend.
I mean, I don't know obviously. Maybe that's true. I just know that the Greedfall devs posting about it definitely knew about it and seemed to be fine with it being a free update but just didn't seem to have any ability to affect it.

bender

What time is it?
I'm not sure I'd consider it an issue but rather working as intended or a design limitation of allowing for paid-for or free upgrades to next-generation/cross-buy versions.

I think this is part of the issue but it doesn't sound like the resolution is all that simple if we look at the Greefall example.

adamsapple

Clearly it's not something as simple as a publisher 'forgetting to enable' when you have third party studios like Spiders acknowledging that the PS+ version won't be updated but the GP version will.

bKh7o1h.jpeg

He's referencing the same discord message posted above, the Bethesda guys never called it a bug. Just that they're checking it.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Clearly it's not something as simple as a publisher 'forgetting to enable' when you have third party studios like Spiders acknowledging that the PS+ version won't be updated but the GP version will.

bKh7o1h.jpeg

That does not state why PS+ was not eligible for the free upgrade. We can't assume this is the same situation unless you have something besides that capture.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
That does not state why PS+ was not eligible for the free upgrade. We can't assume this is the same situation unless you have something besides that capture.
I don't think we'll ever know unless Sony explains it. No one else is really authorized to talk about it. Why would it upgrade for free on PC, Xbox, GP, PS, but not PS+? Anyway, I don't care. I don't even have PS+ right now.

Last edited:

adamsapple

I've just posted an example of a third party game that was live on both platforms services at the same time but only got upgraded.

We don't know any situation, we just know that this is an issue that plagues PS+ versions of games every now and then.

Topher

Gold Member
I've just posted an example of a third party game that was live on both platforms services at the same time but only got upgraded.

We don't know any situation, we just know that this is an issue that plagues PS+ versions of games every now and then.

That example may or may not apply. We don't know. Could be financial incentives for Game Pass there. No idea.

Ultimately, this is something should be discovered in testing and it seems Bethesda is addressing it after the fact.

Three

The point is that you've not shown that the specific developer wanted it. Perhaps they wished to get $10 upgrade sales on the platform.

adamsapple

That example may or may not apply. We don't know. Could be financial incentives for Game Pass there. No idea.

Ultimately, this is something should be discovered in testing and it seems Bethesda is addressing it after the fact.

Financial incentive? Topher tell me you're not suggesting a moneyhat for just putting the update out on game pass, Xbox, PS4 but just not PS+? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

It just seems like you're bent on blaming Bethesda for a known PS+ issue here.

The point is that you've not shown that the specific developer wanted it. Perhaps they wished to get $10 upgrade sales on the platform.

???

The upgrade was free

Last edited:

Scary_Larry

Neo Member
Not being cheap, but this was clarified just now with a PS rep. They are going to honor the PS+ version. Which, good since I purchased the season pass last night on sale. Still, would have been a good idea to communicate this beforehand.

Trogdor1123

Not being cheap, but this was clarified just now with a PS rep. They are going to honor the PS+ version. Which, good since I purchased the season pass last night on sale. Still, would have been a good idea to communicate this beforehand.
What exactly did they say?

Trogdor1123

Rep told me it's either a bug (likely they said) and they're looking to have it resolved today at some point. Said regardless how you got the game they'll honor it. They're waiting on Bethesda to sort it out on their end. Again, grain of salt.
At least it is very promising. That is very much corporate messaging.

Topher

Gold Member
Financial incentive? Topher tell me you're not suggesting a moneyhat for just putting the update out on game pass, Xbox, PS4 but just not PS+? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Nope. I have no idea. Just like you have no idea if the Spider situation is the same or not, but you keep pretending it is for some weird reason.

It just seems like you're bent on blaming Bethesda for a known PS+ issue here.

Shit man......I could say the same thing about you for being bent on defending Microsoft for anything/everything, now couldn't I? Bottom line is that it is up to Bethesda to ensure their game is working correctly. It isn't. Yanking out games from three years ago doesn't change that.

And "known issue" is Bethesda's middle name.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Nope. I have no idea. Just like you have no idea if the Spider situation is the same or not, but you keep pretending it is for some weird reason

I'm just inferring from past examples, where this issue has only happened on PS+ games which were redeemed on the service and then got an upgrade afterward.

It walked and talked like a duck, and here we are with yet another example.

Shit man......I could say the same thing about you for being bent on defending Microsoft for anything/everything, now couldn't I?

You could, many already do. But that's not the point.

PS+ licensing issues are kind of a known quantity, there's examples of games in different tiers that can't be played if someone redeemed it elsewhere first.

It's kind of a messy system, at least Bethesda are working on it. Spiders just said fuck it and never bothered with the PS+ version of Greedfall at all. Those folks never got the upgraded version.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Looks like only members of the Playstation Plus Extra Tier will get the free PS5 update once they sort their shit out. PS Essential Users who have the free version of Fallout 4 are seemingly out of luck and aren't getting it (unless im reading this wrong)....

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I'm just inferring from past examples, where this issue has only happened on PS+ games which were redeemed on the service and then got an upgrade afterward.

It walked and talked like a duck, and here we are with yet another example.

You can call out Sony for their shitty system all you want.

You could, many already do. But that's not the point.

Then I suggest you stick to actual points rather than pointing fingers at me and I'll do the same for you.

PS+ licensing issues are kind of a known quantity, there's examples of games in different tiers that can't be played if someone redeemed it elsewhere first.

It's kind of a messy system, at least Bethesda are working on it. Spiders just said fuck it and never bothered with the PS+ version of Greedfall at all. Those folks never got the upgraded version.

And yet none of that negates my point that it is still up to Bethesda to handle issues like this prior to launching an update. At the very least, let folks know the PS+ version would not be updated right away. The way this unfolded, it looks like they got caught with their pants down. That's on them.

Topher

Gold Member
Looks like only members of the Playstation Plus Extra Tier will get the free PS5 update once they sort their shit out. PS Essential Users who have the free version of Fallout 4 are seemingly out of luck and aren't getting it (unless im reading this wrong)....

Did Essential Users ever have a free version?

bender

What time is it?
Did Essential Users ever have a free version?

It was part of the PS+ Collection.

• Batman: Arkham Knight
  • Battlefield 1
  • Bloodborne
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 (Zombie Chronicles Edition)
  • Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy
  • Days Gone
  • Detroit: Become Human
  • Fallout 4
  • Final Fantasy 15
  • God of War
  • Infamous Second Son
  • Monster Hunter World
  • Mortal Kombat X
  • Ratchet and Clank
  • Resident Evil 7: Biohazard
  • The Last Guardian
  • The Last of Us Remastered
  • Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End
  • Until Dawn

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
It's impressive how Sony continues to bungle this all in the name of "adding value" to their higher tier subscription service.

S0ULZB0URNE

Exactly

Scary_Larry

Neo Member
At this point, it seems Bethesda is the culprit here. I'm on the Bethesda Discord channel and the mod is deleting comments left and right. And the majority of those comments aren't abusive at all. People want transparency and they're just being sketchy as hell about this whole thing.

PS reps nor Playstation has put out anything about having to upgrade to PS+ Extra, but Bethesda states that on Twitter? That doesn't make sense at all. The least they can do is give people a straight answer and put the game back on sale. And I purchased the season pass last night. There was zero communication about any of this. I'm at a point where I want the refund and I'll put it towards a publisher that does want my time and money.

omegasc

At this point, it seems Bethesda is the culprit here. I'm on the Bethesda Discord channel and the mod is deleting comments left and right. And the majority of those comments aren't abusive at all. People want transparency and they're just being sketchy as hell about this whole thing.

PS reps nor Playstation has put out anything about having to upgrade to PS+ Extra, but Bethesda states that on Twitter? That doesn't make sense at all. The least they can do is give people a straight answer and put the game back on sale. And I purchased the season pass last night. There was zero communication about any of this. I'm at a point where I want the refund and I'll put it towards a publisher that does want my time and money.
Was it ever on Essentials?
nevermind, it wouldn't make sense either way.

Last edited:
Top Bottom