• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 teased by ThreeDog voice actor Erik Todd Dellums

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
No, I find your pointing out that my opinions are opinions, odd.

While you may understand the concept, I don't know you and this is a message board. So if you feel clarification of tone and intent is odd then you must be new to the Internet.

I consider what you consider streamlining and evolution of RPGs as dumbing down. So, uh, I don't validate your accusation?

I didn't explain to you what I considered Streamlining vs what I considered Dumbing down.Therefore any assumption you make on my positions on these subjects is coming out of your ass not my mouth.

I take stands against falling standards.

Knowing the difference between, "that game is crap" and "that design philosophy is not for me" is one of the largest problems that plagues message boards, unfortunate to see that you too have it. As long as we have both types of games, its diversity, not falling standards.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
It's not, except that wasn't the context of what was said. What/how much did your said mechanics and engine affect content design from the perspective of building on what BioWare did in KotOR I? Because that's exactly what made KotOR II special (unless BigTnaples meant combat and visuals were what Obsidian did best with KotOR II building on KotOR I), like Torment. Again, please don't give me a technicality answer.

Drop the whole "technicality" angle. If it's right, it's right. Move on.

And what was already built in place holds a great deal of importance. When you don't have to start from scratch, when all the mechanics are already built for you, of course it affects the rest of the game design and creation. Budgets and time are finite. When you have the ability to start from a design point of greater than zero, you have more resources and to put into the other aspects. Time is a resource and directly correlates to being able to create better quests, write better dialogue and craft better characters and scenarios. It's not impossible to do all of that with a brand new game and zero assets already available, but Obsidian didn't have to do that in this instance because the underlying pieces of the game were already there.

zkylon

zkylewd
I liked it a lot. I thought the cinematic look was cool and it allowed me to play at a more relaxed pace. With VATS I didn't have to play with my elbows on my knees like I do for Halo multiplayer. I could sit back and play it more like an rpg. Being able to switch between free aim and VATS was awesome.
I never saw it as a FPS, so the crappy shooting mechanics never bothered me. I always saw it as an RPG, so VATS worked. I just thought of it like an ATB system.
My problem is that it doesn't really make it an RPG. There's no real strategy involved and stats matter to a very low degree. I mean, if moving costed you AP, then I would start to think it was closer to an ATB system or something like that, but this is just a weird combination of real time with pause with no turns but with AP.

To me it doesn't work at all aside from the fact of being flashy.

Lancehead

BigTnaples said:
While you may understand the concept, I don't know you and this is a message board. So if you feel clarification of tone and intent is odd then you must be new to the Internet.

Discussions on the internet tend to largely consist of opinions. So your more-than-once clarifications were unnecessary, and that's what I found odd.

I didn't explain to you what I considered Streamlining vs what I considered Dumbing down.Therefore any assumption you make on my positions on these subjects is coming out of your ass not my mouth.

I didn't make any assumptions. To quote you again (emphasis by me),

You say this, and its fine because that is very subjective, but I see ["be everything, do everything"] as the evolution of roleplaying. Every manual(did Skyrim come with a manual?) for TES games has always come with an intro describing the very design philoophy you stated. And I have "Role Played" more in TES games than any other game in existance. I find the TES games are more of a RPG than any JRPG, or the Witcher, or any of the older types of RPG. Because TES games allow me to actually play a role. Create a character and a history for myself. Go out into a massive world, meet new people and interact with them as I please. Exploring vast cities, or tombs. Exploring ancient ruins of dead civilizations. Treking through a rainstorm and stopping at an inn in the dead of night, getting changed out of my armor, having a drink and a bite to eat, then resting until just before dawn, when I set out again, watch the sun rise over the hills, not knowing what the next encounter will bring me. Rolling with the punches and sometimes messing things up due to my mistakes. THAT is true role playing. And Bethesda understands this. The more behind the scenes the number crunching is, the better.

The people that are so stuck to this "golden standard of RPG" that to them means a D&D set of rules, numbers, being stuck in classes, having a linear path with dialouge choices being the differentiator, etc etc bother me. You are living in the past. Sure I love me some old school RPGs as well, and they have their place. But saying something is "Not an RPG" because it does not fit your outdated standard of what an RPG should be, is not the right way to go about it.

To be clear I do take issues with some things Bethesda has done, including some things that ARE "dumbed down". But there is nothing wrong with streamlining, and it is the future of roleplaying. Knowing the difference is essential.

I don't know what you consider dumbing down, and I didn't comment on that.

Knowing the difference between, "that game is crap" and "that design philosophy is not for me" is one of the largest problems that plagues message boards, unfortunate to see that you too have it. As long as we have both types of games, its diversity, not falling standards.

It's more like "that roleplaying game is crap because that design philosophy is not good for roleplaying".

Drop the whole "technicality" angle. If it's right, it's right. Move on.

And what was already built in place holds a great deal of importance. When you don't have to start from scratch, when all the mechanics are already built for you, of course it affects the rest of the game design and creation. Budgets and time are finite. When you have the ability to start from a design point of greater than zero, you have more resources and to put into the other aspects. Time is a resource and directly correlates to being able to create better quests, write better dialogue and craft better characters and scenarios. It's not impossible to do all of that with a brand new game and zero assets already available, but Obsidian didn't have to do that in this instance because the underlying pieces of the game were already there.

I didn't disagree KotOR II is a sequel. I disagreed that making a sequel is the primary condition to Obsidian games being quality. Because, as I've already said, what they do well has very little to do with the games being sequels.

Your second paragraph is saying that the development was planned for a sequel. Having toolsets, pipelines, assets, systems etc ready for you makes development easier. Time and budget are finite, yes, but then development is also planned taking into consideration that you have such and such from the original available.

NBtoaster

Exactly. There may as well not be any dialogue choices at all if you can just do anything you want with no repercussions.It also makes replays extremely boring.

Dialogue still matters. While you can do every quest, you can't do every choice within that quest in one playthrough.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
My dream Fallout (or any RPG really) would be a real collaboration between Bethesda and Obsidian. They could really make something beautiful together, but they would also need at least a year of QA to make sure there are no major bugs.

I'd so love a team with Todd Howard, Emil Pagliarulo, Chris Avellone and Josh Sawyer on it.

I like listening to Todd Howard talk, its like asmr

Now that I just read about Fallout 3/ Skyrim's conceptual artist having died, I kind of wonder if Bethesda's next Fallout project will have the same charm. :(

This guy

Oh wow, man. I just saw this. I didn't even know he died or who he even was. His work in FO3 is beyond amazing. Just pure genius.

What's going to happen to FO4? :(

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Well obviously but I mean can they live up to what he did? That was my point.

Sure? I thought Rage had better art concepts for post-apocalyptic Earth and that the art direction was better executed in game too. I thought the art in Fallout 3 was great, but it wasn't like the be-all-end-all of videogame art direction.

Sure? I thought Rage had better art concepts for post-apocalyptic Earth and that the art direction was better executed in game too. I thought the art in Fallout 3 was great, but it wasn't like the be-all-end-all of videogame art direction.

I don't know about Rage or any other game for that matter. The atmospher of D.C is something I never felt before in a game. They pulled it off perfectly. I'm just worried future games will lose one of the reasons why I love FO3 so much.

Did Adam work on New Vegas?

Horse Detective

Why the long case?

Nah, you are talking about the environment from what I can see. Sure, some other conceptual artist could do that.

Adam was just interesting because of his take on the technology and lore stuff. That wasn't something some random conceptual artist could pull off.

Drazgul

Wise fwom yow gwave!

Looks like Dellums is at it again, he recently tweeted this:

Ready to use your bottle caps?! #ShareLove #FalloutDreams

Bethesda likes to announce their games roughly a year before release, and fall 2015 release does sound like a realistic date. But where would they announce it, now that we're past E3, QuakeCon and GamesCom?

tumblr_n2n86oXUrS1rz9mezo1_500.gif

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Bethesda likes to announce their games roughly a year before release, and fall 2015 release does sound like a realistic date. But where would they announce it, now that we're past E3, QuakeCon and GamesCom?

Pax South, Spike VGA (lol), or GDC. GDC would be the latest date to announce it I imagine. That is if they even want to go the convention route.

Wise fwom yow gwave!

VGAs
VGX

But Fallout deserves a better venue than that.

Wise fwom yow gwave!

VGX!

I don't think that's ever happening again.

Fallout is a big enough series that they probably don't need an event to announce at. They could plunk a trailer on youtube without telling anyone and it would blow up.

MattyG

Banned
OH COME ON. I hate you right now, bumper, HATE.

Just checked his twitter feed, apparently he only posted that because he saw someone post a picture of bottle caps. Booooo.

213372bu

Banned
I was about to say that this has been happening for the better part of two years now. This necro almost killed me though.

time to go cry

Sotha_Sil

Thanks for reminding me that it's been 4 years since New Vegas. Even though I thought Fallout 3 was inferior to New Vegas in many ways, it was still one of the best games of the generation, and I can't wait to see what BGS has in store for us.

Top Bottom