• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
OK I got a little extra cash for my b-day and I think I'm gonna order this, Amazon's fuckawesome .99 cent release day shipping is so nice.

Any reason why I shouldn't click the 'place order' button? I'm kinda doing this on a whim.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
TheExecutive said:
Seriously? That shit happened in Fallout 3... Its the engine.

lol at least he didnt phase through the ground and die like certain quest givers in Fallout 3 did.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I had a weird little reoccurring glitch in Fallout 3 where these giant blue and green polygons would appear and they would warp and change shapes when I turned and they would block almost the entire screen.

It was pretty funny.

fuck you guys I just ordered this, hope it doesn't suck.

Karud

Still so much time to waste, until it hits my mailbox.
I really hope axelmusic will despatch early.

Did anyone get a despatch mail from play.com? It seems like it's in stock.

neoism

SixStringPsycho said:
Its huge, but what kept me coming on playing F3 was that when I finished the game I could come back and finish any side quest I left behind. Whats the point in completing F:NV story line and not coming back for any side quests? I mean I dont want to restart and start over a new story. Thats the point of these games, max your level, finish it and then explore and find things you never saw. Like for example, in F3 I finished the game and one day I was just killing everything and a friend of mine sent me a message about the UFO and Alien that crashed and the guns. If F3 ended, the only way I would see that was starting over a new game. Which in my book is not right for Open World games.
I agree.. you should never have to start over... I play this game a little weirdly though(RPG's). I always finish the main story last... I like for last thing I see is the credits.... that is when its over for me. I like doing all of the side-quest before I finish the story. I'm a one time player I like doing everything in one play through... I don't think it will be possible this time. They developed the game with multiple play throughs in mind. in mind.. :(

neoism

Has their been any good PC screen-shots or video that is PC standard.. 1080p

I'm lucky in the fact that I played F3 on Xbox, so the pc version of this game will look really good to me, even though I can see that the game is dated visually. I of course have texture and graphically mods to looks forward to also... :)

X26

Banned
Snuggler said:
I had a weird little reoccurring glitch in Fallout 3 where these giant blue and green polygons would appear and they would warp and change shapes when I turned and they would block almost the entire screen.

It was pretty funny.

fuck you guys I just ordered this, hope it doesn't suck.

had that happen to me a few times as well

my reoccuring Fallout 3 glitch involved a mass of jumbled polygons just hovering in midair shaking around. first time I saw it I thought it was some kind of giant flying spider thing. only happened in DC, but happened somewhat often.

Salsa

JodyAnthony said:
my reoccuring Fallout 3 glitch involved a mass of jumbled polygons just hovering in midair shaking around. first time I saw it I thought it was some kind of giant flying spider thing. only happened in DC, but happened somewhat often.

This happened to me a couple days ago, when finishing my 3rd playthrough. After a headshot:

m5st4.jpg

it just stood there shaking. Fuckin creepy.

Marvie_3

Banned
SalsaShark said:
This happened to me a couple days ago, when finishing my 3rd playthrough. After a headshot:

http://imgur.com/m5st4.jpg[IMG]

it just stood there shaking. Fuckin creepy.[/QUOTE]
I had something weird happen with a head in F3 the other day. Blew the head of an Enclave soldier and the head started to roll on the ground. It just kept rolling and rolling so I followed it. The thing kept moving for over 10 minutes and I even had time to fight off an albino radscorpion and some bloatflies along our journey. The head didn't stop until it finally hit some water and sank. :lol

kamspy

_tetsuo_ said:
Loading it up now so it can sit on my hard drive, taunting me.

same.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

my entire weekend is clear. would be the perfect time to start playing.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
kamspy said:
same.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

my entire weekend is clear. would be the perfect time to start playing.

Luckily (unluckily?) I have a 48 hour long gaming charity event to run this weekend at our place, so my mind will mostly be off of the game this weekend. Monday will be hell, though D:

wew got my gamestop ce preorder in, teach me to wait a week before release to preorder it, the next day the page wasnt there anymore for CE preorders when I went back to look :D

~Kinggi~

Banned
Im probably gonna cancel my amazon preorder and wait for reviews. Something about this game has always rubbed me the wrong way as just generic beyond belief, which also happened with AP for me.

Having the review embargo be the release day isnt great, and the 10$ game credit isnt worth me spending 60 on something im not sure of.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
~Kinggi~ said:
Having the review embargo be the release day isnt great, and the 10$ game credit isnt worth me spending 60 on something im not sure of.

Normally I wouldn't make a blind purchase like I just did, but I have a good feeling about this one. All the media I've seen looks fine, and it seems fair to expect it to be similar to Fallout 3 (a good game) while improving on it's formula (the new features seem to do this).

Fallout 3 was a great game, but it had some glaring flaws (like the combat) and if Obsidi can deliver a comparable experience while fixing 3's major issues, we'll have a great game on our hands. I know they have a so-so reputation, but I think they were put in a good position this time around. They have the base of a great game to build on, and an opportunity to fix all the things that held it back.

classicdms

Neo Member
Preloading has commenced.

48 hours going to waste on a boring weekend that could be spent in Vegas.

Hurts so much. So close, so far, bla bla bla.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Snuggler said:
Normally I wouldn't make a blind purchase like I just did, but I have a good feeling about this one. All the media I've seen looks fine, and it seems fair to expect it to be similar to Fallout 3 (a good game) while improving on it's formula (the new features seem to do this).

Fallout 3 was a great game, but it had some glaring flaws (like the combat) and if Obsidi can deliver a comparable experience while fixing 3's major issues, we'll have a great game on our hands.
The problem i have with it was when Fallout 3 released its mechanics were already fairly dated. But the new world and the amount of content was enough to make it enjoyable at the time. This game is 2 years later and literally nothing about the engine or gameplay system is changed. Yeah sure maybe there are better companion things and better storytelling, but everything else seems stuck in the past.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
SalsaShark said:

m5st4.jpg

it just stood there shaking. Fuckin creepy.

That's not so bad. I exploded some guy's head, and some of its fragments remained suspended in midair forever. Or at least I've never been back to see if it's still there, but it was for at least the few minutes I mused over it.

ScreenShot20.jpg

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
~Kinggi~ said:
The problem i have with it was when Fallout 3 released its mechanics were already fairly dated. But the new world and the amount of content was enough to make it enjoyable at the time. This game is 2 years later and literally nothing about the engine or gameplay system is changed. Yeah sure maybe there are better companion things and better storytelling, but everything else seems stuck in the past.

That's true. I guess I'm just more willing to go back to the wastelands than some people, I "only" played Fallout 3 for about 60 hours so I never managed to burn myself out on it. Plus, it's been like 1.5 years since I've played it so I'm ready for another go, I can deal with exploring a similar environment. Mechanically, alls I really care about is improved gunplay so I hope they can deliver in that department.

I do wish the embargo wasn't help until release day. I've already ordered it, but it would be nice to have a better idea of the final product.

~Kinggi~ said:

Deal with it.

~Kinggi~ said:
As long as Obsidian's storytelling is stuck in the past I'm happy.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
the ultimate question:

will I be good or evil?

I usually lean towards good in my first playthroughs, but something about playing Fallout 3 as an evil bastard just felt right. Maybe I'll be morally ambiguous, just like real life!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
~Kinggi~ said:

I dont know if I'd call it dated. Clumsy definitely, especially considering it was on the horrible Gamebryo engine and Bethesda were doing their using "we cant animate for shit" song and dance, but I cant really think of any gameplay elements that could be described as 'dated' moreso than unpolished.

For me, Fallout 3 was leaps and bounds better than Oblivion, yet still felt too much like 'Oblivion with guns', and didn't really scratch my Fallout itch. I really, really fucking hate Gamebryo, and too much of the game just didn't sit well with me. It had its moments, but I too often found myself wishing it was something different, or something better. Mods definitely helped the experience though.

I guess that's why I'm pretty aprehensive about this. While it looks like a big step in the right direction, and I love that it's Obsidian at the reins and not Bethesda, but it still looks a little bit too much like Fallout 3. Even though on paper there are a number of changes, and I know it's in great (better) hands, it's hard for me to get an idea of how it will feel. Videos and screenshots are not doing the game justice if it really is as good as it's expected to be.

I'll probably end up buying it cheap. I got sucked into buying Fallout 3 despite not liking Oblivion, so I'll probably give the franchise one more whirl.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Probably a dumb question, but I preordered this on Steam, but it's not showing up anywhere in the Steam application. I thought it would let me pre-load the game before it's unlocked or whatever?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Snuggler said:
the ultimate question:

will I be good or evil?

I usually lean towards good in my first playthroughs, but something about playing Fallout 3 as an evil bastard just felt right. Maybe I'll be morally ambiguous, just like real life!

Obsidian games dont make things clear, even when a karma bar is involved (it felt so out of place in KotOR II. It was just too popular in 1 to leave out though.)

Gravijah

Snuggler said:
the ultimate question:

will I be good or evil?

I can never actually be evil my first time through games. I always end up being... myself.

Goddamn conscience.

HK-47 said:
Obsidian games dont make things clear, even when a karma bar is involved (it felt so out of place in KotOR II. It was just too popular in 1 to leave out though.)

Are you uhm... put at a disadvantage by being neutral in NV? Does anyone know?

Wallach

WanderingWind said:
Probably a dumb question, but I preordered this on Steam, but it's not showing up anywhere in the Steam application. I thought it would let me pre-load the game before it's unlocked or whatever?

It should be under your library section with all your other Steam games. Make sure at the top where you can configure what games are being shown that it is not set to "installed" or something.

Gravijah said:
I can never actually be evil my first time through games. I always end up being... myself.

Me too. That's why everything explodes when I'm around. My backpack can bear the weight of 30 frag grenades gone unused... but my heart cannot.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
HK-47 said:

...then how will I know if I'm a good or bad person? Sounds confewzing.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Snuggler said:
...then how will I know if I'm a good or bad person? Sounds confewzing.

It is. Just wait for the mod that color codes the responses based on arbitrary morality!

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Wallach said:
It should be under your library section with all your other Steam games. Make sure at the top where you can configure what games are being shown that it is not set to "installed" or something.

That was the problem. Thanks!

ZombieSupaStar said:
wew got my gamestop ce preorder in, teach me to wait a week before release to preorder it, the next day the page wasnt there anymore for CE preorders when I went back to look :D

i noticed that it was gone! good thing i preordered mine weeks ago...

Wallach

Damnit I still can't decide on how to build my first character. My heart pines for the Bozar, but I don't know if I could handle the disappointment if it doesn't actually exist. Just going explosives almost seems like the better way to continue my big guns fetish since they've moved some of the other weapons into explosives, and I could sell most of the other weaponry for a healthy stock of grenades. It's hard to beat the safety of a steady stock of mines and other explosives...

Gravijah

Wallach said:
Damnit I still can't decide on how to build my first character. My heart pines for the Bozar, but I don't know if I could handle the disappointment if it doesn't actually exist. Just going explosives almost seems like the better way to continue my big guns fetish since they've moved some of the other weapons into explosives, and I could sell most of the other weaponry for a healthy stock of grenades. It's hard to beat the safety of a steady stock of mines and other explosives...

I always build a stealth person ever since Oblivion, when I robbed nearly every house in the game.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Wallach said:
Damnit I still can't decide on how to build my first character.

Hi.

Where do we find the list of starting classes or whatever? I'd like to know but it doesn't seem to be in the OP.
Alls I know is that, like always, I will put a shit ton of points into the "speech" or "charisma" option so I can tell bitches whats what.

Wallach

Rollo Larson said:
whats the bozar? NEVERMIND DONT TELL ME

i gotta stay away from this thread

The Bozar is something from Fallout 2 that I am obsessed with. What I meant by that was just looking at a handful of pre-release screenshots I can already tell they have drawn 90% of their new weapon inspiration from Fallout 2 weaponry. The very thought of getting my hands on a Bozar in NV puts me in "SHAKING AND CRYING" mode... I pretty much claimed the lives of every living thing in the California wasteland with that gun. It dispenses justice and law in ways that would make the Heavy think about cheating on Sasha.

Top Bottom