• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Stealth Sniper, High Intelligence and Agility and higher than normal Perception is my bread and butter build. Though this is in Fallout 1 and 2 where Perception isn't just a throwaway stat.

~Kinggi~ said:
The problem i have with it was when Fallout 3 released its mechanics were already fairly dated. But the new world and the amount of content was enough to make it enjoyable at the time. This game is 2 years later and literally nothing about the engine or gameplay system is changed. Yeah sure maybe there are better companion things and better storytelling, but everything else seems stuck in the past.

I hear ya but I never had to fight with the mechanics. Their "age" didnt bother me. F3 for me was about exploration and survival. I am willing to give up a lot for survival rpg's... a LOT.

Wallach

BlueTsunami said:
Stealth Sniper, High Intelligence and Agility and higher than normal Perception is my bread and butter build. Though this is in Fallout 1 and 2 where Perception isn't just a throwaway stat.

I really hated playing a sniper in both the first games. I'd always find myself in "shoot, back up, shoot, back up" mode when facing multiple things which I found aggravating.

I'm really starting to lean towards going pure explosives so I can afford more skill points in stuff like lockpick and stealth early on.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Wallach said:
I'm really starting to lean towards going pure explosives so I can afford more skill points in stuff like lockpick and stealth early on.

I actually maxed out Explosives in my second playthrough of FO3 and that plus the added damage with the explosives expert perk plus Pyromaniac perk (I think it was?) really packed a punch. Especially when used with the Quantum Nuka Cola grenades. I also loved using Bottlecap Mines.

Wallach

BlueTsunami said:
I actually maxed out Explosives in my second playthrough of FO3 and that plus the added damage with the explosives expert perk plus Pyromaniac perk (I think it was?) really packed a punch. Especially when used with the Quantum Nuka Cola grenades. I also loved using Bottlecap Mines.

I generally took Pyromaniac too, but that was mostly for Flamer/Heavy Incinerator work. Pyro doesn't actually modify any explosive damage. None of the perks actually worked with Nuka Grenades (even the explosive ones) which was pretty shitty, though they did stupid damage anyway. The Bottlecap Mines definitely saw the most work, though I think they should have either been harder to make or less effective; 800 damage at R3 demolitions was crazy when I was hauling around like 50 in my backpack at a time.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Jamesfrom818 said:
I hope its easier to make decent face this time around. The Asian selection was horrible.

I just hope the 3rd person view works better so I can actually see all the cool stuff I pick up along the way.

Llyranor

..... what?

Cannibal (1 Rank)

Prerequisite: None

With the Cannibal perk, when you're in Sneak mode, you gain the option to eat a corpse to regain hit points. But every time you feed, you lose Karma, and if the act is witnessed, it is considered a crime against nature.

Snuggler said:
...then how will I know if I'm a good or bad person? Sounds confewzing.

That's what's so great! You could theoretically make a decision in the game, only for the outcome to bite you in the ass hours later.

So what's everybody's first character gonna be!? :D

stupei

Shit. So the local stores near me say they will get it in Monday afternoon, so I could go for that and get it right out of work on Monday.

Or I can go for the $10 credit on Amazon, bundle it with the CE guide, and hopefully they'll both get the release day delivery for $1.

... this decision is only incredibly hard because I am dying to play it now. Damn. :lol

HBP

WanderingWind said:
I just hope the 3rd person view works better so I can actually see all the cool stuff I pick up along the way.

It's the same engine, I promise the 3rd person will still be awful.

duckroll

Llyranor said:

Hmmm... I'm looking at the Traits, and...

Four Eyes

Prerequisite: A Perception score below 10.

While wearing any type of glasses, you have +1 Perception. Without glasses, you have -1 Perception.

Technically, since you get -1 without glasses, and +1 with glasses, am I correct to assume that if your Perception if 6 for example, it becomes 5 when you pick this trait, and with glasses you actually get +2?

Llyranor

I guess I didn't play FO3!
duckroll said:
Hmmm... I'm looking at the Traits, and...

Four Eyes

Prerequisite: A Perception score below 10.

While wearing any type of glasses, you have +1 Perception. Without glasses, you have -1 Perception.

Technically, since you get -1 without glasses, and +1 with glasses, am I correct to assume that if your Perception if 6 for example, it becomes 5 when you pick this trait, and with glasses you actually get +2?
Should be. Otherwise, +1 would do nothing.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I haven't checked to see if it's in Vegas yet, but remind me NOT to chose the 'Bloody Mess' perk. It was fun for about 5 minutes but after 60 hours I got kinda tired of people asploding into a pile of guttyworks every time I shot them.

So what's everybody's first character gonna be!?

I'm gonna focus on Charisma like I always do, love me some dialogue options, but after that I'll probably sink a lot of points into stealth and skills that will go with it. I will be sort of a post-apocalyptic James Bond.

stupei

I can't remember, how many traits do you pick at start?

I think I'll go with good natured because I like to do a more diplomatic playthrough.

Looking at the perks now. Oh man,
rad child
is new, right? Otherwise, how did I miss that last time. That's awesome. :lol

Snuggler said:
I haven't checked to see if it's in Vegas yet, but remind me NOT to chose the 'Bloody Mess' perk. It was fun for about 5 minutes but after 60 hours I got kinda tired of people asploding into a pile of guttyworks everytime I shot them.

Fallout and Fallout 2 had different Bloody Mess animations based on which weapons you killed with, which was nice. Hopefully NV has some different ones. It's not a dealbreaker, but I can see where you're coming from.

stupei said:
I can't remember, how many traits do you pick at start?

Two.

I hope Good-Natured makes a return.

Marvie_3

Banned
Snuggler said:
I haven't checked to see if it's in Vegas yet, but remind me NOT to chose the 'Bloody Mess' perk. It was fun for about 5 minutes but after 60 hours I got kinda tired of people asploding into a pile of guttyworks every time I shot them.
Yeah, not to mention that at times all the pieces disappear and you can't loot them. :lol

kamspy said:
Small guns, repair and lockpicking.

I'm freakin' bland!
I usually follow this my first time through. Once I learn the game more I'll play around with my character.

Gravijah

kamspy said:
Small guns, repair and lockpicking.

3AHBRs.jpg

duckroll

disappeared said:
So what's everybody's first character gonna be!? :D

Right now, tentatively I'm going to make a heavy talking character with enough strength and agility to beat people up if need me. I plan on focusing on melee combat to save on ammo, and I probably won't make a particularly intelligent character. Charisma is much more important to me. Will probably consider picking good natured as a trait as well.

I hope the game has many options to use charisma and dialogue to turn people against each other, and I hope there are good options to play as a relatively evil character who is also on the good side of most of the factions and NPCs. That would be what I want to aim for. Also, I hope there are awesome wicked melee weapons.

I'm going to go with a similar roll as duckroll. Heavy talker melee chargers bur a strong focus in science. I'm going complete asshole my first game. I swear to god there better be some awesome Easter eggs.

Llyranor

Man, I haven't created a Fallout character in such a loooong time. Will have a tough time debating this.

Definitely going for Speech. Survival sounds pretty appealing for hardcore, but not sure if I want to tag it. Sneaking would also be useful, but unsure (+/- Lockpick, but that's a second investment). I might want to pick either guns, explosives or melee (investing in Str will benefit my carry weight as well). Medicine will be useful too, especially re: crippled limbs in Hardcore, and just using stims/rads in general. Science? Definitely appealing too.

Aww geez, did I name all the skills? I guess I left out energy weaps, barter and unarmed. Those I think I can do without. Repair sounds like it'd be really useful, but I think I'll opt out of it. Will rather be scavenging a lot.

Not sure on my traits. Wild Wasteland would be interesting, but not necessarily for a first playthrough. Maybe Good-Natured; but though the benefits are nice, I don't want to make a good-natured character :D Maybe Four Eyes. Kamikaze? Loose Cannon? Depends on which I skills I opt for, I guess. Small frame only if I decide to invest in Medicine.

Ultimately, depending on how good (or ungood) the combat system is, I might just opt for a stealth character and try to avoid/escape as many combat situations as possible (or through diplomacy or assassination). Hmmmm.

I love RPG character creation.

EDIT:
And darn it, it sounds like such an awful perk, but I want to be a cannibal.

duckroll

I dunno Cannibal sounds really gross to me. I don't think I would ever play that sort of character. I like to be a bit more civilized, regardless of what sort of character I'm playing. :lol

WanderingWind

So, the shittiness of Arcania is fueling a lot of desire for this game, apparently. I just went over to the JoWood board, and everybody is PISSED. There are more than a few posters calling for Fallout: New Vegas to save the RPG scene.

I hope the game is up to the challenge. :lol

Gravijah said:
What's
Wild Wasteland?

Wild Wasteland is a trait which only appears in Fallout: New Vegas and adds various 'wacky' content, as well as modifies existing content and special encounters.

In an interview with Chris Avellone, he notes that the Wild Wasteland trait may add more references to older content in Fallout and Fallout 2, in regards to special encounters. Players without Wild Wasteland will find less silly analogues in places where Wild Wasteland modifies things. According to JE Sawyer the trait was added as a compromise because different members of the team often suggested 'wacky' content that others thought would be out of place.

"Wild Wasteland unleashes the most bizarre and silly elements of post-apocalyptic America. Not for the faint of heart or the serious of temperament."

:)

duckroll said:
I dunno Cannibal sounds really gross to me. I don't think I would ever play that sort of character. I like to be a bit more civilized, regardless of what sort of character I'm playing. :lol

I tried Cannibal on my most recent (evil) F3 playthrough. It's kind of disturbing, what with the chewing/crunching noises. :lol

duckroll

Gravijah said:
What's
Wild Wasteland?

We discussed this earlier on in the thread. It's a trait which will allow certain random encounters to happen - the really off the wall wacky ones similar to what Fallout 2 had. Leaving it off makes the game more... "realistic" to a certain degree. There are unique weapons and stuff which are only available with the trait, and also unique stuff which are only available if you do not have the trait.

duckroll

I'll likely go with Wild Wasteland as well. It'll be interesting to see how different it is when I do a replay without that trait.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Can you eat Ghouls? They look kinda tasty, I bet they taste like jerky.

...but yeah, I'm definitely going with Wild Wasteland. It sounds right up my alley. Same goes for hardcore mode, which sounds like the proper way to play but they were probably scared to make it standard since wimps would whine about it.

WanderingWind

duckroll said:
We discussed this earlier on in the thread. It's a trait which will allow certain random encounters to happen - the really off the wall wacky ones similar to what Fallout 2 had. Leaving it off makes the game more... "realistic" to a certain degree. There are unique weapons and stuff which are only available with the trait, and also unique stuff which are only available if you do not have the trait.

So, in essence, there is zero incentive to not pick this trait, right?

duckroll

WanderingWind said:
So, in essence, there is zero incentive to not pick this trait, right?

I don't think we'll know for sure until we play the game. In theory since there are exclusive stuff regardless if you pick it or not, there might be interesting events you cannot see with the trait?

Top Bottom