• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Nah you won't be forced but I just really enjoy playing the card games personally, will help you earn more caps (and the other currencies in the game I guess) tho.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Hopefully Caps are more useful and harder to come by in this game. In FO3 all you ever really needed were Stimpacks and Bullets. Caps were easily acquired via selling back weapons and gear so one was always swimming in Caps. One way they could remedy this is make the amount of caps gained via merchants much lower.

Salsa

dak1dsk1 said:
I'm a huge fan of Fallout3, but strangely not hyped for this. Will wait for the metascore before I jump in.

It makese sense really. Im a huge Fallout 3 fan as well, but its the Black Isle/Fallout1&2 fan in me that cant wait for this.

Coverly

Mrbob said:
Have nearly 100 hours into Fallout 3, I'm ready for this!

Same and I only did less than 10% of the main quest line. Most of my time went to doing all the side quests and random exploration. My favorite side quest from 3 was the ant queen, I hope they have some of those type of loony quests in New Vegas.

Preordered on steam and the guide from amazon, but too bad there is no hardcover version of the guide this time.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Lostconfused said:
Do you count the radio or TV skits in bloodlines? I thought that stuff got pretty goofy, you know stuff like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC7AjhUzVpo (I couldn't find the butter one). But yeah at least it didn't really break the 4th wall.

Friggin' chicken is just there. It should exist in every game. Ever. Mario wont reach platforming perfection until there is a friggin' chicken commercial playing in the background.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
BlueTsunami said:
Hopefully Caps are more useful and harder to come by in this game. In FO3 all you ever really needed were Stimpacks and Bullets. Caps were easily acquired via selling back weapons and gear so one was always swimming in Caps. One way they could remedy this is make the amount of caps gained via merchants much lower.

Hey if you made sure to horde a small nuclear stockpile you could burn through caps pretty fastt.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Finally put in my pre-order on Steam last night. I'm still debating if I should hold off playing with hardcore and wild wasteland for my second run-through, though.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
morningbus said:
Finally put in my pre-order on Steam last night. I'm still debating if I should hold off playing with hardcore and wild wasteland for my second run-through, though.
I'm doing hardcore on the first one, wild wasteland for the second.

Paznos

Played Fallout 3 on the PC and later bought the GOTY edition on the PS3 but have yet to play it lol, I would like to get New Vegas but will probably wait for a GOTY edition or price drop.

neoism

So guys any info on modding the game. Will it use mods for F3...? I want to play it with mods first and only time through!

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
duckroll said:
I just don't like the idea of Obsidian and Bethesda being under the same corporate roof. :(

If it does go beyond publishing deals, you probably don't need to worry - Bethsoft will be plenty busy with continuing the blandening of TES, I'm sure.

Anyway, New Vegas! I sure hope it has comedy rape.

RetroMG

I don't know if this needs to be spoilered, but I'm going to do it anyway.

Does anyone know the
number of the vault, or any vault, that appears in this game?
I recall reading in an article in a magazine about New Vegas having
a vault where every major decision is made by gambling, (in true vegas fashion,)
and I'm trying to use it for something for fun at work. (We have a gaming thread on our bulletin board, which is currently called Vault 101.)

Massa

RetroGamer42 said:
I don't know if this needs to be spoilered, but I'm going to do it anyway.

Does anyone know the
number of the vault, or any vault, that appears in this game?
I recall reading in an article in a magazine about New Vegas having
a vault where every major decision is made by gambling, (in true vegas fashion,)
and I'm trying to use it for something for fun at work. (We have a gaming thread on our bulletin board, which is currently called Vault 101.)

There's a new interview on the Playstation Blog that answers that question.

Dyno

JoeBoy101 said:
Also, for the thread, is there ANY definitive answer on the game real estate size compared to FO3. I've heard smaller, bigger, and same.

There was an interview on Inside X-Box and someone from Obsidian said they started out with the same sized map as Fallout 3 but then it got bigger over time.

duckroll said:
That's like saying... "Second day to work today, and I tried taking a bus and walking instead of driving. As expected, it worked."

If you read between the lines you have a guy who played through the game and is ready to dive in again. Could be the sign of a good game, I hope.

i-Lo

I do hope that there are "more" soundtracks this time around. I loved the selection in Fallout 3 (an introduction to 1920's like no other esp. with Billie Holiday and Ink spots).

Lately, I have been wondering about the new weapons. After seeing the M16 (or was it the M4) I was really intrigued by how it came into existence since after the war, BoS and Outcast both started scavenging tech but not evolving it. I can understand evolution of weapons in normal world but how does it take place in war torn society? Has there any rational explanation for it?

i-Lo said:
I do hope that there are "more" soundtracks this time around. I loved the selection in Fallout 3 (an introduction to 1920's like no other esp. with Billie Holiday and Ink spots).

yea i was askng about this earlier i guess theres no info on it yet

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Location Music.

When approaching an area in the desert we want to draw the player in. Location Music helps accomplish this. Picture the player walking through the empty desert listening to the wispy incidentals.

As the player starts to see a house on the horizon, the first layer (of three) starts to play. The player hears the tension change. As he nears the house, a second layer comes in, and once he is in the center of town, the whole music track plays.

The same thing happens in reverse as the player leaves the area. This gives a very natural flow to the experience of exploring the wasteland. And to this, we also make sure the music has night and day variations.

sooooo good

the full piece on music is here
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/6173/the_music_of_the_mojave_wasteland.php

edit: BEATEN IN JUST ONE MINUTE!

also:

Inon was very supportive in providing variations of pieces he created, which we were able to implement very effectively. All of the pieces of location music had a night and day version created for them. They were also all mixed into low, medium and high versions. The system we were creating would use all of these variations to help stretch the music's value across the countless hours of gameplay.

edit3:

this piece just keeps on giving

Fallout is a game that allows for its players to choose their own role, and their own morality. Some players play the good guy, and others play the bad guy. We decided that the music system should reflect that.

If the player runs through the town of Goodsprings and kills everything in sight, the music will reflect that with a dark, foreboding tone. If the player is helpful to the townsfolk and doesn't cause too much trouble, the there is a much lighter, rural tone to the music. This was accomplished via the Media Location Controller system we had set up for the project, which you can see below.

edit4:

It quickly became apparent that the musical diversity we were going for was going to require more minutes of music. Thankfully, the Fallout series has a rich history of amazing music. I had been listening to Mark Morgan's soundtracks from the first two Fallout games quite a bit while working on the project and I decided that some of the tracks would fit perfectly into the world of New Vegas. After all, the series shares a lot of factions, characters and themes from the first two games.

I contacted Bethesda and Mark Morgan about including a selection of remastered Fallout 1 and 2 pieces in New Vegas, and all parties were fully on board. I also felt that some of the Fallout 3 tracks should make a return to help forge a synergy between all of the games in the series. It was amazing how well it worked out. The tracks that were chosen fit perfectly together and added the depth and scope that I felt was necessary.

day 1 now

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Wiggum2007 said:
Cool to hear that some classic Fallout 1 & 2 tracks will be returning.

I hope it has the track that's also in Netstorm, just so it can be in as many games as possible and deja vu the shit out of my generation.

Thankfully, the Fallout series has a rich history of amazing music. I had been listening to Mark Morgan's soundtracks from the first two Fallout games quite a bit while working on the project and I decided that some of the tracks would fit perfectly into the world of New Vegas.
Probably the best copout ever.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Oh... god... OH GOD, It's almost here! I dumped 300+ hours into Fallout, both on 360 and PC. FO:NV will own my soul for many, many moons.

I'm positively tumescent with hype.

I3rand0 said:
5 GB mandatory install on PS 3... :lol

dayum! good thing I got around 300gigs left! In all honesty I would buy the PC version if I had a PC that would run it and I would buy the 360 version if I wasnt getting the PS3 version for $20.

all this detail with music - location-specific, karma-specific, etc - is indicative of the level of detail theyre going for. more than i bargained for really. as if i didnt have enough reason to be excited

Dennis

Banned
Was any sort of final sales numbers ever released for Fallout 3?

I am very curious to know if this game is just so hyped on GAF, or if the series have generated a large new fanbase with Fallout 3.

Didn't it also get reported somewhere that New Vegas have more preorders than F3 did?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I have 30 days of leave that I'm taking that just happens to coincide with the release of Fallout:New Vegas.

I am going to be one happy gamer.

DennisK4 said:
Was any sort of final sales numbers ever released for Fallout 3?

I am very curious to know if this game is just so hyped on GAF, or if the series have generated a large new fanbase with Fallout 3.

Didn't it also get reported somewhere that New Vegas have more preorders than F3 did?
Many millions, like at least 4 shipped or something I think I heard?

Most of the hype you see around here is generated by having Obsidian attached and hardcore fans of the older games in the series (since it's a "return to roots" in a lot of ways), but there's no denying that the fanbase grew a lot with Fallout 3, much due to Oblivion fans moving to Bethesda's next thing, bless their hearts.

fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck

Reading all the spoilered bits in this thread has got me so excited for this. Damn you Avellone and co, you magnificent bastards.

Top Bottom