• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Karud

DennisK4 said:
Was any sort of final sales numbers ever released for Fallout 3?

I am very curious to know if this game is just so hyped on GAF, or if the series have generated a large new fanbase with Fallout 3.

Didn't it also get reported somewhere that New Vegas have more preorders than F3 did?

Bethesda did okay I think. I knew the Fallout Galaxy but was to young to play it. I tried, but I
really sucked, not getting the point of the round-based combat.

I bought F3 as a low budget and it blew my mind!

I'm so hyped for this game just because of the direct predessecor.

It would be awesome if someone would release F1 and F2 for iPad.

Salsa

First playthrough for me will be normal, no WW and no Hardcore mode (will turn it on if i find the game too easy).

+ Bloody Mess perk :)

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Hmm.

I have to say, I haven't had much interest in this title. I haven't been paying attention to any of the pre release stuff, but now that it's almost out I'm suddenly feeling interested. I really liked Fallout 3 and if this can deliver a comparable experience that doesn't feel like a retread, I'm down.

I could use a good WRPG anyways. As long as the word is positive about the game, I'll get the 360 or PS3 version (can't wait for the comparison thread!).

Dead

well not really...yet
Damn, wish I could buy this today. Read the info from the strategy guide and am hyyyyyped :lol

Ledsen

SalsaShark said:
First playthrough for me will be normal, no WW and no Hardcore mode (will turn it on if i find the game too easy).

You can't turn it on, you have to pick it at the beginning.

Geoff9920

Ledsen said:
You can't turn it on, you have to pick it at the beginning.
The Playstation blog link several posts up does mention being able to turn it on or off at any time, but that it'd have to be on the entire time to get the achievement.

Here's the full text:
playstation blog said:
What can you tell us about the new Hardcore Mode?

Hardcore Mode can be turned on or off at any time, although if you want the Hardcore trophy, you have to turn it on when initially prompted and leave it that way all the way to the end of the game. When it’s on, players will have to eat, sleep, and drink water every day. In addition, ammo has weight, companions can die, Stimpaks heal over time, and damaged limbs can only be healed with a Doctor’s Bag.
While you can fast travel in Hardcore Mode, you can’t if the time it would take to get you there would result in the player dying from dehydration/exhaustion/starvation.

Minsc

Gold Member
Geoff9920 said:
The Playstation blog link several posts up does mention being able to turn it on or off at any time, but that it'd have to be on the entire time to get the achievement.

Here's the full text:

Interesting, that's not what the wikia says:

Hardcore mode is an optional setting which makes the game more realistic, with gameplay elements such as dehydration and healing over time. If the mode is switched to Casual, it is impossible to switch back to Hardcore. Either a trophy or achievement is awarded for completing Fallout: New Vegas on Hardcore mode. The Casual/Hardore mode distinction is independent of difficulty settings.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Hardcore does sound good. I only played Fallout 3 on normal, but I had the best time with it in the first several hours when my stats were weak and I didn't have a massive stock pile of stims and super weapons. There was some actual tension as I traveled the wastelands, and I was forced to scavenge and search for items. I liked that, so I'll give hardcore a shot this time.

I won't even have to consider Wacky Wasteland, that sounds like the way to play.

Salsa

eXistor said:
Definitely gonna start on hardcore mode. F3 was way too easy.

I think at first the difficulty really was at that beloved sweetspot. But yeah it became a cakewalk later on.

Snuggler said:
Hardcore does sound good. I only played Fallout 3 on normal, but I had the best time with it in the first several hours when my stats were weak and I didn't have a massive stock pile of stims and super weapons. There was some actual tension as I traveled the wastelands, and I was forced to scavenge and search for items. I liked that, so I'll give hardcore a shot this time.

I won't even have to consider Wacky Wasteland, that sounds like the way to play.

The only thing that really kills hardcore for me its the ammunition-weight stuff. It sounds like it would get more annoying than challenging.

And WW sounds right for a second playthrough.

SalsaShark said:

so Hardcore Mode is independent of difficulty setting?

so i could play it on Hardcore Mode but Easy difficulty?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Making Fast Travel tied to the survival aspect is ingenious. Fast Travel has always been an easy mode sort of thing, pure convenience. I can see this becoming an issue for those who aren't weary and go out into the wastelands without sufficient provisions and then want to fast travel back to safety without pre-planning.

Would be awesome if there's a Car "Perk" or an actual car that helps with the amount of water and food thats expended during Fast Travel.

duckroll

Minsc said:
Interesting, that's not what the wikia says:

I think the wikia is mistaken. Hardcore seems like a toggle you can switch at any time, but if you ever switch off Hardcore at any time, you will lose the ability to gain the trophy for it on that run, which is probably the misunderstanding here.

Stallion Free said:

can't get this game fast enough then. i'll finally be able to force myself to give up my pack-rat loot-whoring ways now. i will either have to eat or die, and use my inventory for ammo instead of stocking up a wide arsenal.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Im not so keen on Hardcore mode, but I want to at least give a try. Ive been trying to increasingly become more and more "hardcore" in the last year or so with games trying to never take the easy way and really getting the fullest out of everything a game has to offer but so much of hardcore mode feels like a nuisance and chore. I tried some fan mods in Fallout 3 that brought these elements and a bit more, if memory serves me, back into the game and it just did not mesh with me.

How much do people think this will be improved and more enjoyable/rewarding as a main featured option in FO:NV compared to the fan mods of FO3?

Timber

i also can't figure out if hardcore mode will be something that presents a really cool challenge or if it'll just end up becoming a massive impediment to fun

Fredescu

Timber said:
i also can't figure out if hardcore mode will be something that presents a really cool challenge or if it'll just end up becoming a massive impediment to fun
Yeah I agree, I'm in two minds about it too. Have they paced the game around it? Have they made non-hardcore mode a little too easy because hardcore mode is an option? There's no way to know. I'm also in two minds about Wild Wilderness. Will it be funny or just stupid? I'm usually not the type to play a game more than once, so it's kinda bugging me. Decisions decisions.

Timber said:

i think it's really just more of a unique way of giving the hardcore people and those that want more realism their fill and leaving the rest of us to leave the option off so we can enjoy it our own way. i'll be playing the game both ways, though. :D

Timber said:
That's an excellent point, good thing it can be disabled. It's definitely a feature some will love and others will loath. The success of hardcore mode will come down to how well the game is balanced. Ammo/food needs to be scarce but not too scarce. A place to sleep needs to be close but not too close at all times.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Darklord said:
I loved Fallout 3 but I'll be holding judgment of this until I see some reviews. If it's another jank-fest by Obsidian I think I'll leave it.

Fallout 3 was a jank-fest though...

From the sounds of it, hardcore mode isn't about difficulty but bringing a level of structured play and planning to how you go about things. I think a lot of it is going to be down to how they communicate information like hunger and tiredness, so the player can plan properly. 'The location for this mission is this far away, it'll take me this long to get there so I'll need this many sleep stops along the way and this amount of food, which leaves me this much inventory for ammo'.

I'm interested to try it, but I don't think I'm hardcore enough to go in on my first playthrough. Maybe, it'd certainly be more interesting to explore the world for the first time with those considerations.

is the game the same length as the Fallout 3?

also, with all the DLC for fallout 3, it might be better to just wait till Fallout Vegas GOTY edition

neoism

got a ?... does anyone know what is the de4al with the levels.... I played on easy mode( I didn't want to). mainly for the little exp you got from enemies... I hated the fact that you got more exp fo the harder difficulties. I'm playing on PC though... will their be a mod for something like this..?

neoism

Damn I can't wait for this... I reeealllly want to wait for mods... but I just can't wait.. Whats even better is I'm gettin this for 9.96$$... :D Amazon for the win!

BlueTsunami said:
Making Fast Travel tied to the survival aspect is ingenious. Fast Travel has always been an easy mode sort of thing, pure convenience. I can see this becoming an issue for those who aren't weary and go out into the wastelands without sufficient provisions and then want to fast travel back to safety without pre-planning.

Would be awesome if there's a Car "Perk" or an actual car that helps with the amount of water and food thats expended during Fast Travel.

There's probably a companion that can act as a mule.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Fallout 3 was immensely disappointing to me. And Obsedian has still yet to impress me (I'm still burned by KotOR2) but I AM interested in Hardcore mode, as that sounds like a damn hard challenge (and has an achievement to beat the game in COMPLETE HARDCORE mode, no no turning it off after you start) that sounds interesting to me.

Despera

Banned
duckroll said:
I think the wikia is mistaken. Hardcore seems like a toggle you can switch at any time, but if you ever switch off Hardcore at any time, you will lose the ability to gain the trophy for it on that run, which is probably the misunderstanding here.

That's exactly what I'm hoping for.

Hyunkel6

Pre-ordered today. Fallout 3 is still the game in which I invested the most time this generation. I can't wait! Hardcore mode sounds awesome.

MMaRsu

Banned
Hmm reading this about the music is making me want to buy this, when previously I had little to no interest in buying this.

I'm a big Fallout 3 lover, bought all the DLC and spend way more than 120 hours on it..

Why is this game gonna be such much better than Fallout 3?

MMaRsu said:
Hmm reading this about the music is making me want to buy this, when previously I had little to no interest in buying this.

I'm a big Fallout 3 lover, bought all the DLC and spend way more than 120 hours on it..

Why is this game gonna be such much better than Fallout 3?

What's this you're reading about the music?

/edit: Found it, apparently Morgan's pieces are back in. Thank god. I might buy this after all.

Wallach

ZombieSupaStar said:
please please please have this theme in there!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOsx5pLE3xk

thats my unofficial Fallout Series theme :D

I'm telling you guys Mark Morgan was a massive part of why Fallout 2 owns so hard.

I like the above track, but these two in particular are my favorites:

Vault City
Redding

I really hope they bring back some of the feel of this music. This is one area in particular where Fallout 3 really sucks.

If hardcore mode is going to work, they're going to have to give fractional weight to ammunition, or not have enemies be bullet sponges like they have always been in Fallout. You're one dude who takes out 25-40 odd bad guys in every mission - if it takes 2-5 shots per bad guy, it would be tres easy to run out of bullets. That's what is called the opposite of fun.

bonesmccoy said:
If hardcore mode is going to work, they're going to have to give fractional weight to ammunition, or not have enemies be bullet sponges like they have always been in Fallout. You're one dude who takes out 25-40 odd bad guys in every mission - if it takes 2-5 shots per bad guy, it would be tres easy to run out of bullets. That's what is called the opposite of fun.
That or you need to find a solution that doesn't involve shooting everyone.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I don't know why the idea of me buying food at a diner and have it actually mean something via hardcore mode sounds so great, but it does. So does making sure you're properly outfitted for the wasteland before leaving a secure location. Surely I'm not the only one.

duckroll

bonesmccoy said:

My idea of fun in Fallout is that if I piss off someone in the middle of town and people around don't take kindly to my act of aggression, I end up fighting everyone for two dozen turns until I run out of ammo and stimpacks, and then I die like a legendary gunman.

Playing a Fallout game where I go around shooting everyone with no consequence and just killing all the "bad guys" doesn't sound fun or Fallout to me at all.

Wallach

bonesmccoy said:

I rather think there's a lot of fun to be had when you have to take into consideration that you may not be able to brute force your way through every situation.

Also, to call enemies "bullet sponges" in Fallout seems silly. There are definitely tough enemies but the vast majority of enemies you face can be killed in one attack.

Top Bottom