• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Family of Florida boy killed by Neighborhood Watch seeks arrest

Status
Not open for further replies.
No idea what to make of this. It's floating around in Twitter right now.

http://www.therealgeorgezimmerman.com/Home_Page.php

well it's his website. what else can you make of it?

"And late Tuesday, special prosecutor Angela Corey said she would announce “new information” about the controversial case within 72 hours. She did not elaborate."

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-zimmerman-attorneys-20120411,0,3405665.story

So if the special prosecutor announced that she's going to "make an announcement in 72 hours" it sounds unlikely that it's going to be about his arrest. I mean, why give a time frame on of your arrest announcement? Wouldn't she just give the word to arrest him first, then announce a meeting to explain the charges? Either she may not press charges or perhaps only minor/lesser charges that people may not be happy with.
could be. everything about how this case has been handled has been ridiculous, so why not this too.

Dude Abides

Banned
This is getting very strange. Why would Corey make an announcement about an announcement? I've always thought the talk of riots was overblown, but if she wants to minimize the possibility of that (and dont intend to charge him), creating this air of anticipation is counterproductive.

"And late Tuesday, special prosecutor Angela Corey said she would announce “new information” about the controversial case within 72 hours. She did not elaborate."

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-zimmerman-attorneys-20120411,0,3405665.story

So if the special prosecutor announced that she's going to "make an announcement in 72 hours" it sounds unlikely that it's going to be about his arrest. I mean, why give a time frame on of your arrest announcement? Wouldn't she just give the word to arrest him first, then announce a meeting to explain the charges? Either she may not press charges or perhaps only minor/lesser charges that people may not be happy with.

They said Corey refused to talk to Zimmerman without his attorneys' consent and Hannity wouldn't tell them what was discussed.

Uhrig said the final straw was Zimmerman's call to Corey, which came at 10:55 a.m. Tuesday.

"We were a bit astonished," Uhrig said. He praised the prosecutor for refusing to speak with Zimmerman unless he had legal counsel.

It seems as if she wasn't going to press charges she would have talked to him, since he wouldn't be able to incriminate himself.

But if this is an announcement to say there won't be charges, it better be released randomly and not timed. You don't want to have a bunch of people emotionally tied to the case all in one area to here that Zimmerman would not be charged. That would be like throwing a match into a bail of hay.

It seems as if she wasn't going to press charges she would have talked to him, since he wouldn't be able to incriminate himself.

She had no obligation not to talk to him, regardless. But she did do the right thing, especially if Zimmerman's mental health has genuinely deteriorated. I don't know that it says much about what she'll do, though.

Korey

An announcement of an announcement? Ugh...really curious what it is now. It better be good, but am expecting the worst.

Dash27

I feel like if it was either a plea or a decision to not prosecute she'd punt to the grand jury.

They're either charging him, cant find him, or he's killed himself.

ced

New information is good information, especially coming from the prosecutor.

Hopefully this puts the speculation to rest, and I really doubt she is not pressing charges.

I'd be surprised to see a plea right now, as I think there is pressure on this prosecutor to not let Zimmerman off easy, and I can't imagine him taking a severe sentence willingly at this point.

How can you not see how the Dooley and this case are similar? After shouting from across the street, Dooley grabbed his gun before the confrontation, not during. After having his words, flashing his gun, and then attempting to return home, Dooley is attacked by the person he confronted, trying to disarm him. Eventually pinned to the ground, where he claims he was being chocked, Dooley shots his attacker dead.

Zimmerman, armed with a gun, confronts a "suspicious" person. According to his version, when attempting to return to his car, is attacked by Martin, eventually pinned to the ground, where he claims his head being severely bashed, is able to shot his attacker dead.

The biggest difference, is that the police didn't look at Dooley, see grass on his back and go "oh, okay," and let him go. Dooley is on trail for Manslaughter, Zimmerman is not.

The cases are similar. Their outcome (so far), is not.

You're conveniently leaving out the most important difference between the cases. There were multiple eyewitnesses to that shooting.

The single biggest problem with the Zimmerman/Martin case is the lack of eyewitnesses after the phone calls end.

Dash27

There are witnesses in this case too. I know of two who give essentially the same story, putting Martin on top of Zimmerman:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/trayvon-martin-shooter-teenager-gun/story?id=16000239#.T4WFk9nmHSh

In addition, an eyewitness, 13-year-old Austin Brown, told police he saw a man fitting Zimmerman's description lying on the grass moaning and crying for help just seconds before he heard the gunshot that killed Martin.

http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/new...n-shot-and-killed-in-neighborhood-altercation

"The guy on the bottom, who had a red sweater on, was yelling to me, 'Help! Help!' and I told him to stop, and I was calling 911," said the witness, who asked to be identified only by his first name, John.

John said he locked his patio door, ran upstairs and heard at least one gun shot.

"And then, when I got upstairs and looked down, the guy who was on the top beating up the other guy, was the one laying in the grass, and I believe he was dead at that point."

That is directly contradicted by the audio expert who says the calls for help heard on a 911 call are not coming from Zimmerman. Although, I have no idea if it's someone else calling for help like a neighbor or if it's Martin or when exactly that happened.

Tragedy aside I really hope this goes to trial. So many questions. Zimmerman followed him, but is that illegal? Seems possible Martin was on top of him but doesnt he have the right to defend himself?

It looks more and more like a series of really bad decisions by both and ended in an innocent kids death.

benjipwns

Banned
Grand Jury doesn't prosecute, it indicts.
Thanks, sorry, I meant that. Read a post with "prosecute" right before and fucked it up.
Tragedy aside I really hope this goes to trial. So many questions. Zimmerman followed him, but is that illegal? Seems possible Martin was on top of him but doesnt he have the right to defend himself?

It looks more and more like a series of really bad decisions by both and ended in an innocent kids death.
I have to admit whether he's innocent or not I want it to go to trial just out of fascination.

If Zimmerman did try to detain him, that's illegal under Florida law iirc. The girlfriends story seems to indicate he was detained and Martin resisted. Zimmerman's story obviously claims he just got jumped.

Agree with your last sentence, it's really shitty it happened however it did. No matter who was right.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
If Zimmerman isn't charged and brought to trial, it sends a very, VERY clear message that a black man's life isn't worth SPIT in this country, and it's perfectly reasonable for us to be fricking pissed about it. It's like the 50's and 60's all over again. This cycle of fear and hatred for blacks needs to stop.

I'll never know what it's like to be part of a privileged group that can simply brush aside the pleas of a consistently, and well documented, persecuted and discriminated against people. But, hey, if I bring that up, SOME PEOPLE get all upset and think I'm playing the dreaded "race card" which does a massive +999 damage to their frail sense of self.

Log4Girlz

There are witnesses in this case too. I know of two who give essentially the same story, putting Martin on top of Zimmerman:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/trayvon-martin-shooter-teenager-gun/story?id=16000239#.T4WFk9nmHSh

http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/new...n-shot-and-killed-in-neighborhood-altercation

That is directly contradicted by the audio expert who says the calls for help heard on a 911 call are not coming from Zimmerman. Although, I have no idea if it's someone else calling for help like a neighbor or if it's Martin or when exactly that happened.

Trayvon was well within his rights IMO.

ced

Yep, i'm betting he called the prosecutor for it but she refused to talk to him without his lawyers.

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/04/10/justice/florida-teen-shooting-prosecutor/index.html?hpt=us_c2

Have ya'll seen this? Zimmerman is pretty much fucked and he's in hiding right now, lol. I doubt his lawyers even knows where he's at.

I wouldn't say he is fucked for that reason. You know guilty or innocent of murder, he should be in hiding, there are a lot of people out for his head.

I will agree it looks really bad though.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon

FYI the parent of that kid later told a reporter that the kid could not really see who was on top of who since it was too dark, but the police kept pressing for an answer.

I don't know...shooting a kid in the chest because you wanted to play cop should be pretty fucking illegal...IMO.

I don't know what "bad" decision Trayvon made. Could you enlighten me? Should he not have been walking without a chaperone? Is that a crime? Should he have ran? Should he not have ran? Should he have not had the audacity to look Zimmerman in the eye? Should he have replied "No sir!" or "Yes sir!" to some random dude whom he had no idea what his real motive was?

This thinley veiled attempt to spread the blame evenly is bullshit. This is on Zimmerman and Zimmerman alone. Following someone might not be in and of itself a crime but when you kill them and claim self defense I think it should negate your self defense claim. You chased HIM down...you can't cry defense when that's clearly offensive.

JCreasy

FYI the parent of that kid later told a reporter that the kid could not really see who was on top of who since it was too dark, but the police kept pressing for an answer.

YUP, here's is the full account . . .

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/17/trayvon-martin-killing-yo_n_1355795.html?ref=trayvon-martin

Austin's mother, Sheryl Brown, said that the trauma from the night has not been limited to what her son witnessed. It also includes the way she says that the police and some media have twisted his account of the night to fit a self-defense theory, to say that a 13-year-old witness has claimed Zimmerman, and not Martin, was screaming for help. Both Austin and his mother are adamant that the teen could not see who was screaming, but they believe now that it was Martin.

Brown said in hindsight she feels the police investigator on the case attempted to lead her son to provide information that he didn't have. The investigator, she said, would nod yes when asking if it was the man in the T-shirt, who turned out to be Zimmerman, and not the one in the hooded sweatshirt, Martin, who was screaming out for help. And while the police have said that they don't have any evidence to refute Zimmerman's claims of self-defense, the investigators had a different story when they visited her family about a week after the shooting, Brown said.

"That investigator said flat out that we don't think it was self-defense," Brown said, recalling the day the police came to interview Austin. "Several times he said, 'I have kids, and I'm going to tell you something that I don't tell many people.' He looked at me and said, 'You have to read between the lines. There's some stereotyping going on.'"

She continued: "He stood here in my family room telling me that this guy [Zimmerman] is not right and it wasn't self-defense and that they have to prove that it wasn't. He was adamant about that. I don't know if that was to make me less uncomfortable or to make us feel that he was on our side."

In recent days, other witnesses have come forward to say that the police attempted to twist their testimony to support Zimmerman's claims of self-defense or ignored them entirely, including two witnesses who joined the Martin family during a press conference on Friday.

Dash27

I don't know what "bad" decision Trayvon made. Could you enlighten me?

No because we dont know. Do you feel like everything that happened is clear and known?

The only thing clear to me is Zimmerman was the person to create this whole situation when he got out of that car and chased the kid. That doesnt mean that Martin didnt make some bad choices though.

benjipwns

Banned
I don't know what "bad" decision Trayvon made. Could you enlighten me? Should he not have been walking without a chaperone? Is that a crime? Should he have ran? Should he not have ran? Should he have not had the audacity to look Zimmerman in the eye? Should he have replied "No sir!" or "Yes sir!" to some random dude whom he had no idea what his real motive was?
I think Zimmerman is in the wrong here, but if Trayvon did react by pouncing and beating the guy with no real threat, I would say he may have made a bad decision.

I don't think that happened, but I won't discount the slim possibility he may have overplayed his hand and possibly made a poor decision. (And again, that doesn't mean Zimmerman didn't try to detain him, etc.)

The facts and swarm around this case are just too fucked up.

Just wanted to note that Trayvon COULD have made a bad decision.

Doesn't protect Zimmerman, but we can all make bad decisions while in the right.

JCreasy

No because we dont know. Do you feel like everything that happened is clear and known?

The only thing clear to me is Zimmerman was the person to create this whole situation when he got out of that car and chased the kid. That doesnt mean that Martin didnt make some bad choices though.

Well honestly I think it's clear that Trayvon had every reason to fear Zimmerman. I think it's clear that Trayvon had every reason to see Zimmerman as a threat. I think it's clear that Trayvon wanted nothing to do with Zimmerman, which is why he ran from him to begin with. I think it's clear that Zimmerman ignored the recommendation of the 911 dispatcher not to pursue him (if there are no addresses for him to find behind the town homes, the only other reasonable explanation for him being there is that he chased Martin there).

And taking into account that Zimmerman pursued him while armed indicates that he possibly posed a hostile threat.

What could he possibly have done wrong?

If he wasn't the aggressor he can do anything to protect himself.

Particle Physicist

I think Zimmerman is in the wrong here, but if Trayvon did react by pouncing and beating the guy with no real threat, I would say he may have made a bad decision.

I don't think that happened, but I won't discount the slim possibility he may have overplayed his hand and possibly made a poor decision. (And again, that doesn't mean Zimmerman didn't try to detain him, etc.)

Doesn't protect Zimmerman, but we can all make bad decisions while in the right.

No real threat? I think the fact that Trayvon is dead shows that there was a real threat. If... IF he did in fact fight Zimmerman, he was more than justified.

demigod

Sounds to me like you've never been followed by someone while walking before. If anyone is following me or walking close to me at night when i'm alone, THAT"S a threat to me.

benjipwns

Banned
No real threat? I think the fact that Trayvon is dead shows that there was a real threat. If... IF he did in fact fight Zimmerman, he was more than justified.
It was hypothetical based on the "best case scenario" that's been offered, you can check my posts in this thread and indeed that post, I think Zimmerman was in the wrong.

And to make it clear, I am until further evidence assuming that Zimmerman cornered and attempted to detain Martin and that Martin tried to escape in a manner that resulted in them on the ground where Zimmerman fired. Not blatant self-defense and something for a jury in my opinion.
Sounds to me like you've never been followed by someone while walking before. If anyone is following me or walking close to me at night when i'm alone, THAT"S a threat to me.
Again, I was trying to outline the FEW situations where Martin could have been in the wrong and that none of them fully elevated to the level where I thought he didn't have a legitimate consideration of self-defense.

I was merely judging whether or not he made a "poor decision" which still allows him to make an entirely legitimate action.

Zimmerman absolutely made the most poor decision of all.

Log4Girlz

Like wearing a hoodie. Or going out in the dark when he's black. When will black people learn to stay inside at night. Don't go menacing the neighborhood at night! :/ Trayvon did nothing unjustifiable, especially when you consider his age. Fucking all the contrarians treat him as an adult.

Particle Physicist

It was hypothetical based on the "best case scenario" that's been offered, you can check my posts in this thread and indeed that post, I think Zimmerman was in the wrong.

And to make it clear, I am until further evidence assuming that Zimmerman cornered and attempted to detain Martin and that Martin tried to escape in a manner that resulted in them on the ground where Zimmerman fired. Not blatant self-defense and something for a jury in my opinion.

I know it was a hypothetical, but given the outcome, and what we know, there is no way that Trayvon did not feel justifiably threatened.

Still, even if Trayvon attacked Zimmerman unprovoked, I don't see how Zimmerman could have possibly been justified in killing him.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.

Just wanted to note that Trayvon COULD have made a bad decision.Doesn't protect Zimmerman, but we can all make bad decisions while in the right.

Ok put yourself in Trayvon's situation (which it seems a lot of people are not doing) and if someone was following you at night and you are trying to get back home or to a friend's place and that person who is following you confronts you, what is the good decision you would have made?

GhaleonEB

That's the site he used to collect money from supporters.
Thanks. I had just seen it, and in the context of his going off the grid thought it was him popping up for the first time since his lawyer's press conference. I'm just LTTP.
well it's his website. what else can you make of it?
See above. Other than than that, I appreciated the blast back to the mid 90's webpage design. Yowza.

Dash27

Well honestly I think it's clear that Trayvon had every reason to fear Zimmerman. I think it's clear that Trayvon had every reason to see Zimmerman as a threat. I think it's clear that Trayvon wanted nothing to do with Zimmerman, which is why he ran from him to begin with. I think it's clear that Zimmerman ignored the recommendation of the 911 dispatcher not to pursue him (if there are no addresses for him to find behind the town homes, the only other reasonable explanation for him being there is that he chased Martin there).

And taking into account that Zimmerman pursued him while armed indicates that he possibly posed a hostile threat.

I agree with all of that. I'll also say if it was me at 17 and someone was following me I might decide to punch him in the face and I feel like I'd be damn justified too. Zimmerman was absolutely a threat to Martin the second he got out of his car and chased him, regardless of if he returned to the car or not.

However...

What could he possibly have done wrong?

If he wasn't the aggressor he can do anything to protect himself.

This is the big question. Protect himself absolutely. But sounds like Zimmerman chased him and asked him what he was doing there, so what happens next? Zimmerman tries to grab him and hold him for cops (this is very possible IMO for a number of reasons, mostly the "these assholes always get away" comment on tape) and then ends up shooting him because he lost the fight? Or did Martin, who had every right to fear Zimmerman as a threat, attack him and start beating his head in and grabbing the gun? You could argue that's justified and understandable but I would say it's a bad decision.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.

What would you have done if you were in Trayvon's place? What bad choice did Trayvon make? Wearing a hoodie in the rain? Walking in an unknown neighborhood? Looking at houses while walking? Maybe even defending himself from some unknown person who is coming after him?

Averon

I really want to know what these "bad choices" Trayvon did that led to his death? Walking in a neighborhood he had every right to be in? Wearing a hoodie he had every right to wear (it was raining that day, I believe)? Running from some crazed stranger with a gun (what sensible person wouldn't do this?)? Going to the store at night to buy snacks?

Zoe

What do you mean? So where's Zimmerman now?

His lawyers have stopped representing him because he's been non-communicative and acting without them. That doesn't mean that he's disappeared or that law enforcement doesn't know where he is.

benjipwns

Banned
I know it was a hypothetical, but given the outcome, and what we know, there is no way that Trayvon did not feel justifiably threatened.

Still, even if Trayvon attacked Zimmerman unprovoked, I don't see how Zimmerman coul have possibly been justified in killing him.
Not saying Zimmerman was or that Trayvon wasn't. I was arguing that it's still possible for Trayvon to make a poor decision.

Would I have made the right decision? I don't know. I'm just saying that it is possible that Trayvon could have done something "wrong" that led to him getting murdered but that doesn't mean he was entirely wrong.

I didn't mean to be a dick or anything, again I'm finding Zimmerman wrong here, but I think it's important to try and at least explore these scenarios in a rational manner until we have the actual facts. Because that's the best way to get justice for Trayvon if he needs it.
Ok put yourself in Trayvon's situation (which it seems a lot of people are not doing) and if someone was following you at night and you are trying to get back home or to a friend's place and that person who is following you confronts you, what is the good decision you would have made?
I know I was unclear, let me know if you want me to expand on my posts since.

I agree with all of that. I'll also say if it was me at 17 and someone was following me I might decide to punch him in the face and I feel like I'd be damn justified too. Zimmerman was absolutely a threat to Martin the second he got out of his car and chased him, regardless of if he returned to the car or not.

However...

This is the big question. Protect himself absolutely. But sounds like Zimmerman chased him and asked him what he was doing there, so what happens next? Zimmerman tries to grab him and hold him for cops (this is very possible IMO for a number of reasons, mostly the "these assholes always get away" comment on tape) and then ends up shooting him because he lost the fight? Or did Martin, who had every right to fear Zimmerman as a threat, attack him and start beating his head in and grabbing the gun? You could argue that's justified and understandable but I would say it's a bad decision.

How would you call it a bad decision. Some random guy with a gun is stalking you, you dont think hey lets see how this plays out. Zimmerman is not a cop and has no right to do anything to Trayvon, so anything he did to Zimmerman is ok because Zimmerman initiated the entire conflict.

Dash27

His lawyers have stopped representing him because he's been non-communicative and acting without them. That doesn't mean that he's disappeared or that law enforcement doesn't know where he is.

No but if that prosecutor is going to charge him I would hurry up given his own lawyers dont seem to know where he is and have never met with him personally. They also seem to think he's far away from his home.

Jenov

I really want to know what these "bad choices" Trayvon did that led to his death? Walking in a neighborhood he had every right to be in? Wearing a hoodie he had every right to wear (it was raining that day, I believe)? Running from some crazed stranger with a gun (what sensible person wouldn't do this?)? Going to the store at night to buy snacks?

I think he's saying that there may still be the possibility that Martin was the one that started the fight with Zimmerman which could be considered a bad choice.

akira28

Not wearing a bell where ever he went. Or maybe a flashing light. People get suspicious when you walk down the street talking on a cell phone, silently, like a fucking ninja.

I'm guessing the lawyers were telling Zim that he was going to have to make a deal or do serious time, and his former court magistrate dad said 'fuck that'. I'm guessing 2nd degree murder or maybe manslaughter or something. And 25 years in jail, less with parole. He's not going to want to do any time at all. No way does he want to go in with all of that publicity on his head, plus his dad being a judge and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom