• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu news (02/22) - Etrian Oddysey IV 3DS (July 5th), Persona 4 Vita (June 14th)

Aeana

That's a lot of yen for P4G...

97aFa.jpg

duckroll

Daisuke Kanada was Hashino's right hand man on his RPGs from Nocturne to Persona before moving to the Trauma Wii games though, I'm pretty excited about this change.

That's true. I'm honestly hoping EO4 is kinda different while retaining the series' strengths. After EO1 I was honestly so burnt out on the series that I never played EO2 or EO3. :/

zashga

Yesss! I knew that today would be a good day. With any luck, we'll be back in the labyrinth by the end of the year/world.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
That's true. I'm honestly hoping EO4 is kinda different while retaining the series' strengths. After EO1 I was honestly so burnt out on the series that I never played EO2 or EO3. :/
I hope so too, I think he'd do it properly.

01DragonFly

AWESOME , I was just playing trough EO3 and wondering how awesome the labyrinth would look in 3D .
hopping that characters from the the 3 previous game came back, Landsknecht and protector my favorite characters .

Man God

Non-Canon Member

EO3 has a lot of little touches here and there that refresh the formula a bit. EO 2 felt like an expansion pack in many ways.

jay

I hated this game when I tried to play it. It was boring and tedious with archaic game design and no real story or special features to push the game along.

Then I hated the sequel and the next game too. I look forward to hating this one as well all the way to the end.

I had the same experiences. Can't wait to get this new one.

Deeku

Can't wait for EO! I've actually been playing through EO3 recently and listening to some of the super arrange soundtracks I bought. Sooo good!

Yuzo<33

cj_iwakura

The gameplay kept getting better.

Sadly, atmosphere wise, EO1 was the series at its prime.

Daft_Cat

So good to finally have a Persona 4 release date.

Hopefully the turn around here in the west won't be too long. After all, they localized Persona 4 like 4 years ago now, right?

....RIGHT?

duckroll

Huge scans are out for EO4. It looks like.... EO. I'm pretty disappointed. The graphics are better than DS, but it retains a lot of the low-quality 3D look that the DS is known for. I definitely feel that Yamamoto's art is totally wasted here, since the backgrounds just look like any other EO game, there's a bit more detail but that's more of a result of it being on the 3DS than anything else.

duckroll

Yeah the monsters are 3D models now, but celshaded to look 2D. It actually looks pretty nice. The best graphical upgrade in the game compared to the previous games. The shading is pretty convincing, and they're not shitty 3D models. The backgrounds though.... *sob*

B.K.

Animated enemies!

3D enemies!

Not really sure if that's going to be a good thing or not.

Edit: Looks like the game is going to use the d-pad for controls. There's an icon that looks like the slide pad on the bottom map screen to scroll around the map.

Dictionary? I wonder if you'll be able to look up a monster's stats in battle.

So this game's gimmick is an airship/hot air balloon. I wonder how that will work out. I never played III. How did the ship sections of that game turn out?

duckroll

I'll be honest, I'm one of the strange EO players who didn't much care for them beyond the initial look. I'm more into EO for the mechanics anyway.

The point is that they specifically hired a renowned art director to do really detailed illustrations of the environments. It's a total waste when the actual game doesn't benefit at all from it, and just looks like a normal EO game because of how the environments are implemented anyway.

Zenaku

Personally, I like them. The graphics from the airship look like the DS, but the labyrinth screens look nice. The monsters all seem to be 3D too, although they look so good I thought they were 2D at first.

I like how you can see your character portraits while choosing attacks too.

scy

The point is that they specifically hired a renowned art director to do really detailed illustrations of the environments. It's a total waste when the actual game doesn't benefit at all from it, and just looks like a normal EO game because of how the environments are implemented anyway.

Oh no, I agree with you that it's a waste. I just can't bring myself to care much beyond that, y'know?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
The enemies are nicely detailed but I hope there's more changes to the battle system, a bit disappointed there doesn't seem to be.

Eh, it's not BAD bad. Hopefully it'll look good in motion. There was often subtle movements in the Labyrinth's walls in previous ones.

My thing is AIGIS FEET. AIGIS FEET on everbudy.

Bebpo

Banned
Like duckroll, I really adored EO1, bought 2/3 but have no interest in ever playing them and if EO4 is more of the same I'll pass again. Great games, but they all feel the same and they're so long and repetitive. I'm playing Beyond the Labyrinth right now and while it does a lot to make itself different from EO, after a while I just felt like I was playing EO again and even lost interest in that. I like 1st person dungeon crawlers, but prefer having a little more story to give a reason to keep doing floor after floor of the same thing. Variety in enemies and locales helps too. And interesting gameplay systems that keep changing throughout the entire game. Aka old school SMT or SJ.

scy

hoping the draw distance is more than 3 tiles ahead.

Hahaha...

Probably not.

Like duckroll, I really adored EO1, bought 2/3 but have no interest in ever playing them and if EO4 is more of the same I'll pass again. Great games, but they all feel the same and they're so long and repetitive. I'm playing Beyond the Labyrinth right now and while it does a lot to make itself different from EO, after a while I just felt like I was playing EO again and even lost interest in that. I like 1st person dungeon crawlers, but prefer having a little more story to give a reason to keep doing floor after floor of the same thing. Variety in enemies and locales helps too. And interesting gameplay systems that keep changing throughout the entire game. Aka old school SMT or SJ.

I hate story-lite titles generally speaking but EO somehow hooked me. Even with the relatively poor system it does have. I guess there's just something about it that made me want to sit down and figure the games out and that in itself has fueled my interest in the games for way longer than otherwise expected.

I really do hope that they finally try to weave more of a story into it.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
I only own EO2, but I never got past the 2nd stratum. Once I beat Ghost Trick, I may make it my next handheld priority.

The scans look alright. Not graphically mindblowing, but traversing the dungeons in 3D sounds cool enough to me.

Boogiepop

Looks fine to me. Not blowing me away or anything, but not awful, and the 3D should add a little extra pop at least.

Also nice to see the airship/balloon thing, which appears to be a successor to the ship. Mostly, I'm just really, really glad this game exists.

vareon

EOIV looks like a more detailed EO. I'm not sure what to think. Looks like I will be again trapped in the "I don't want to play it right now but later I won't find a copy" circle.

Edit:

Looks like FOEs are not orange balls this time. They're actually seen on exploration.

Vuffster

I love EO and am excited for this -- day one purchase of EO4 and a 3DS -- but I'm a little worried about how much I'll like IV... I did 100% completion in the first game, finished the main story and did some sixth stratum stuff in II, and got too annoyed at III to finish it (hit the fight against
the Deep City's king and Olympia near the end
, concluded that I simply couldn't win with my party setup, and didn't want to have to get a different group up to speed). I like a lot about III, especially being able to take a break and explore the sea (though the sea quests were annoying), but it just didn't quite click with me the way that I/II did in terms of classes and abilities; it seemed like you had a choice between established, broken class/subclass combos or being horribly underpowered.

Neo C.

Fuck region locking! :mad:
I bought the second and third EO by importing it from Canada, but this time all I can do is to hope for an EU release (lol).

Luigiv

Yeah the monsters are 3D models now, but celshaded to look 2D. It actually looks pretty nice. The best graphical upgrade in the game compared to the previous games. The shading is pretty convincing, and they're not shitty 3D models. The backgrounds though.... *sob*

The backgrounds don't look bad at all. Not from what I can tell, at least. The scans are noisy as fuck so we need to wait for direct feed screenshots to pass true judgement, I think.

vareon

The backgrounds don't look bad at all. Not from what I can tell, at least. The scans are noisy as fuck so we need to wait for direct feed screenshots to pass true judgement, I think.

It's simply about they went ahead and hired an artist known by his background art just to have a "not bad" backgrounds in game. Still can't wait for direct feed screens, and the 3D would be nice here I think.

sfried

This post needs to bumped until the search at least pics this up as the first entry.

Cannot wait for the new EO classes.

Top Bottom