• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu news (02/22) - Etrian Oddysey IV 3DS (July 5th), Persona 4 Vita (June 14th)

Bento

Great news, absolutely love this franchise and this will with no doubt be the game that makes me buy (import) a 3DS :eek:)

Luigiv

It's simply about they went ahead and hired an artist known by his background art just to have a "not bad" backgrounds in game. Still can't wait for direct feed screens, and the 3D would be nice here I think.

Yeah well that's true but Duckroll was making it sound like they were atrocious.

duckroll

Yeah well that's true but Duckroll was making it sound like they were atrocious.

Stop putting words in my mouth. I said they looked like marginally improved DS backgrounds, which is how they look. If you think that look great, good for you. For the majority of people, this will look average as best, and in no way does it represent the quality of the artwork which they are promoting as a major element in the new game.

This is the second-best birthday present I got this year. :D

As with every other entry in the series, day one purchase. (Although, with any luck, this game will allow you to save to the SD Card and unlike the previous entries it won't be "day one, times two" for me this time.)

the best change is seeing the enemy models on the map. is it just for foes? let's hope for some good animation.

So this game's gimmick is an airship/hot air balloon. I wonder how that will work out. I never played III. How did the ship sections of that game turn out?

not that good. once stuck you were forced to trial and error your way through. pretty annoying. it wasn't needed to finish the game at least.

Luigiv

Stop putting words in my mouth. I said they looked like marginally improved DS backgrounds, which is how they look. If you think that look great, good for you. For the majority of people, this will look average as best, and in no way does it represent the quality of the artwork which they are promoting as a major element in the new game.

The backgrounds though.... *sob*

Maybe you didn't use the word atrocious exactly but that line had about the same effect. Now I'm not saying the backgrounds look great myself but I was expecting a lot worse from a line like that.

Obviously it is part of their cunning plan to get people to buy the artbooks instead where they can see the backgrounds in full detail and glory.

duckroll

Maybe you didn't use the word atrocious exactly but that line had about the same effect. Now I'm not saying the backgrounds look great myself but I was expecting a lot worse from a line like that.

Did you miss my post before that? Or are you visually impaired? Serious question. It makes it pretty clear what I think of the backgrounds and why.

Did you miss my post before that? Or are you visually impaired? Serious question. It makes it pretty clear what I think of the backgrounds and why.
well, I got the same vibe. I don't know about luigi, but that was because I hadn't seen EO before and the way you put it, made it like EO was a bad looking game to begin with.

It's not that good, but it's pretty decent looking what I saw in the scans, models are great honestly.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Like everything on the 3DS I need to see it in motion first.

But yes, on paper that looks remarkably like a less janked but not particularly so EO game.

The game obviously isn't ugly, but when you look at the beautiful background concept art you can't help but wish that more of that was put to use in the actual game.

duckroll

well, I got the same vibe. I don't know about luigi, but that was because I hadn't seen EO before and the way you put it, made it like EO was a bad looking game to begin with.

It's not that good, but it's pretty decent looking what I saw in the scans, models are great honestly.

Okay so you guys are totally talking out of your ass trying to teabag for me for accurate comments I made on a game which is the FOURTH in a series which I am familiar with but you are not? Gotcha. :p

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Okay so you guys are totally talking out of your ass trying to teabag for me for accurate comments I made on a game which is the FOURTH in a series which I am familiar with but you are not? Gotcha. :p

Just don't want to admit what their eyes are telling them.

Still I doubt many people who are EO fans play it for the graphics. I certainly don't. It's an FPS dungeon crawl.

Animated enemies though, woohoo!

Luigiv

Well to be perfectly honest I haven't played any of the EO games so looking back at some screenshots, the games look a lot better than I though it did so I thought that "marginally better" was intended as a bigger insult. Either way, my opinion is still "not bad" for now though I really need direct feed screens to make a proper assessment (the graininess of the scans completely obscure any fine detail in the images which could make or break the graphics).

duckroll

Well to be perfectly honest I haven't played any of the EO games so looking back at some screenshots, the games look a lot better than I though it did so I thought that "marginally better" was intended as a bigger insult. Either way, my opinion is still "not bad" for now though I really need direct feed screens to make a proper assessment (the graininess of the scans completely obscure any fine detail in the images which could make or break the graphics).

You know, I respect all reasonable opinions even when I disagree (and I don't disagree here). What I take offense with is people trying to use my statements to project things which are not true. It's not a nice thing to do!

Unfortunately one of the core components of my enjoyment of the EO games can't be conveyed in magazine scans or screenshots.

Gimme some of that sweet, sweet, Yuzo Koshiro music.

(I'm going to end up buying the CD and the Super Arrange and the artbook again. The series has me by the balls.)

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Who cares about the top-screen graphics? Look at those mapping options.

Pretty damn hyped about that myself.

EO III went far, but not far enough. Also remember the 3DS has a built in note feature that works pretty damn well, though you gotta go to the home menu to access it.

Luigiv

You know, I respect all reasonable opinions even when I disagree (and I don't disagree here). What I take offense with is people trying to use my statements to project things which are not true. It's not a nice thing to do!

Well I wasn't trying to, you're opinion just wasn't stated all that clearly in the first place so I read the subtext wrong. Anyway this argument is getting silly, lets just leave it now that things have been clarified.

duckroll

Unfortunately one of the core components of my enjoyment of the EO games can't be conveyed in magazine scans or screenshots.

Gimme some of that sweet, sweet, Yuzo Koshiro music.

(I'm going to end up buying the CD and the Super Arrange and the artbook again. The series has me by the balls.)

Maybe you'll get to hear some of it in an hour! Or maybe not...

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Crossovers and volleyball suits as preorder bonuses. Japan, indeed

Ninja Gaiden and Dead or Alive's Ryu Hayabusa and Ayane appeared as crossover characters in Musou Orochi 2. But their stay in Musou Land isn't over yet! Famitsu reveals this week that the two characters will also appear as collaborative characters in Dynasty Warriors VS., the delayed 3DS Dynasty Warriors game that's now due for release on April 26.

They're not the only crossover characters, though. The game will also see appearances by Sengoku heroes Sanada Yukimura, Ishida Mitsunari and Naoe Kanetsugu.

You may recall that Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata said during a previous Nintendo Direct broadcast that Dynasty Warriors VS would also have cameos from Nintendo franchises. It's unclear if this is what Iwata was referring to, but Famitsu does reveal that the game will have Mii support. Your Miis will come in as support characters when you're in a pinch.

Famitsu also has a look at the game's edit mode, which lets you modify name, gender, face, body type, armor, motion, voice and Musou skill.

More related to the Ayane crossover, Famitsu reveals that the game's first print run will include a download code for a volleyball uniform. The code also gives you a judo outfit.

duckroll

New classes would be big since they had to balance it, but new outfits or character sprites would be cool.

I'm not exactly sure how appealing that sort of DLC would be in EO though. The only times you ever see your characters are in portraits. There are no game sprites where you see them moving around, and there are no action animations either unlike 7th Dragon. It doesn't seem very worthwhile at all to buy what is essentially a static single piece of art as DLC imo.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm not exactly sure how appealing that sort of DLC would be in EO though. The only times you ever see your characters are in portraits. There are no game sprites where you see them moving around, and there are no action animations either unlike 7th Dragon. It doesn't seem very worthwhile at all to buy what is essentially a static single piece of art as DLC imo.

See, I know all this, and yet I would buy it anyways! That's why I suggested it, it is frankly evil pointless DLC!

New dungeons would be the absolute best though and they've gotten progressively better at balancing classes. Of course for this completely unlikely example they could in fact just bring back old classes as DLC with slight tweaks to the new game mechanics, whatever they might be.

duckroll

You know, considering how the JP version of Persona 2 Innocent Sin on PSP had a mission editor that allowed players to create custom quests and share them with friends, can you imagine such a feature in an EO game? Map maker tool to create dungeons and share them with friends, complete with quests! :eek:

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I cannot wait see those animated FOEs (was really missing that from the older entries). And I need to progress past stratum2 in EO2 :/

Man God

Non-Canon Member
You know, considering how the JP version of Persona 2 Innocent Sin on PSP had a mission editor that allowed players to create custom quests and share them with friends, can you imagine such a feature in an EO game? Map maker tool to create dungeons and share them with friends, complete with quests! :eek:

I had that dream once, and when I woke up the world seemed a darker place.

Jenga

Banned
That's if they don't remove it from the english release.

vareon

Seems too good to be true ._. but who knows?

Kenka

Add some "Street Pass" and "Spot Pass" in your sentence and you hit gold.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

Nintendo wouldnt allow it, since this would mean that`ll never would need to buy another 3DS game :lol

But really, this would be awesome.

Have Atlus USA announced any European partners for their 3DS games? Seeing that Etrian Odyssey II and III were never localized here and the hardware is region-locked, it would be nice to not have to import an additional system for playing the game.

Danielsan

For a minute there I seriously contemplated the idea of getting a 3DS for Etrian Oddyssey. Then I remembered that the 3DS is region locked. Sad times.

The second is my favorite in the series. Hope a NA announcement comes soon!

I actually really enjoyed the conceit of progressing by climbing rather than descending, and I loved the Nordic atmosphere of the game. But technically I still think it's the least good of the three.

mclem

the best change is seeing the enemy models on the map. is it just for foes? let's hope for some good animation.

I demand for one FOE (probably in the Sixth Stratum) to *actually* be a large orange blob.

I really need to find out where the hell my EO2 has got to, I'm starting to feel the itch to continue the series with this announcement. (I have all three, but I've only played the first - but I played that one all the way to Town Crown)

Top Bottom