• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu news 12/1 -- Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker MARCH 18 HOLY JESUS

Boss Man

EmCeeGramr said:
big boss kills Rotor, a beautiful robot lady who has helicopter blades in her back that let her fly (she is the best master of helicopter combat in the world)

super drebin the first calls up big boss over the protonet: "snake. rotor lived a sad life. when she was a little girl, soldiers attacked her village. they shot and killed all her family and threw them into spinning blades. but then the blades became helicopter blades on a helicopter and sliced up the soldiers. but snake. there was no helicopter, it was just rotor. except there was a helicopter, since she invented the first helicopter right there all by herself (she pooped it out) since she is the world's best helicopter person. shooting her in the face cleansed her soul, snake. also, i have a son... his name is... drebin."

big boss sighs. "i'm sure that won't be important." (rolls eyes, audience chuckles at dramatic irony)
Quoted for the next page. You are a beautiful person.

Dedication Through Light said:
Wow, I guess that explains Amazon swift addition of that promotional boxart for Heavy Rain over the weekend, release date announcement must be incoming.
Probably on or around the 14th of this month.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Freyjadour said:
No chance in hell.
Really? because there is a slight chance of vesperia coming state-side. 1 - Eternal sonata PS3 came out in the US 2 - There are English files on the demo iirc.

as much as it pains me to say it i think it's time to stop holding onto hope for a western release of vesperia ps3.

please, namco, have pity on us western tales fans and at least give us graces.
:(

lupin23rd

Dynasty Warriors Online for PS3? Old news?

I'm surprised they haven't announced 7 yet, but I guess they've had Gundam, Empires, and a PSP up-port to work on LOL

duckroll

xDangerboy said:
woohoo, another bullshit mw2 reviewer.

maybe they only played single player...
no wait they still should get a lower score

Nah, they played both the single player campaign and the special ops missions. They also loved the fact that the game was fully dubbed in Japanese too. Complete localizations of big budget cinematic Western games are still not that common.

EmCeeGramr said:
big boss kills Rotor, a beautiful robot lady who has helicopter blades in her back that let her fly (she is the best master of helicopter combat in the world)

super drebin the first calls up big boss over the protonet: "snake. rotor lived a sad life. when she was a little girl, soldiers attacked her village. they shot and killed all her family and threw them into spinning blades. but then the blades became helicopter blades on a helicopter and sliced up the soldiers. but snake. there was no helicopter, it was just rotor. except there was a helicopter, since she invented the first helicopter right there all by herself (she pooped it out) since she is the world's best helicopter person. shooting her in the face cleansed her soul, snake. also, i have a son... his name is... drebin."

big boss sighs. "i'm sure that won't be important." (rolls eyes, audience chuckles at dramatic irony)

Dammit all what's the website this story is taken from? Errh well not exactly that story but the one where you get that generic summary and you fill in the blanks with whatever?

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
duckroll said:
I think Square Enix is saving their moneyhats for a bigger game next week.
People are so sure it's gonna get a perfect score that the gambler inside me wants to bet against it. I think some Japanese ancient seal confining unspeakable evil would break if it doesn't; seriously, now that Famitsu has handed the third (fourth? fifth? someone correct me!) perfect score this year, it would be bigger news if it doesn't get it.

ivysaur12

Banned
duckroll said:
Too bad no one is scanning more REGINLEIV. We only know the voice actor for the male character.... Daisuke Namikawa. I really want to know who's voicing the female character. :(

Looks more story heavy than EDF games. Cutscenes, voice acting... Maybe Nintendo of America won't localize this after all.

Ugh :(

duckroll

Jinfash said:
People are so sure it's gonna get a perfect score that the gambler inside me wants to bet against it. I think some Japanese ancient seal confining unspeakable evil would break if it doesn't; seriously, now that Famitsu has handed the third (fourth? fifth? someone correct me!) perfect score this year, it would be bigger news if it doesn't get it.

There have been 4 perfect scores this year. It's really awful. I really think the scoring system is fucked. They should introduce a 5th reviewer starting in 2010, or it would be very hard to keep going the way they are now. Credibility is quickly slipping away when everyone is able to "predict" that all major landmark releases in Japan will get a perfect score, and if they simply stop giving perfect scores it will hurt their relationship with publishers under existing agreements and the existing culture of how things work. By adding a 5th reviewer they'll be able to avoid both problems, simply because the benchmark of a "perfect" score will have increased to 50.

Not that any of this really matters ultimately, because if you actually rely on Famitsu reviews to make any argument, point or decision, you're already fucked. :lol

duckroll said:
Nah, they played both the single player campaign and the special ops missions. They also loved the fact that the game was fully dubbed in Japanese too. Complete localizations of big budget cinematic Western games are still not that common.

well sounds like they bribed the magazine by blowing pixie dust up their ass and made them feel special

high scores like this should be a rarity. too many flaws in the game-play to warrant that kind of score.

Jonnyram

duckroll said:
You won't catch Square Enix doing half-assed localizations like EA. Looking forward to seeing how this and Batman are received. Still, MW2 is not getting a great deal of marketing by the looks of it :/

duckroll

Jonnyram said:
You won't catch Square Enix doing half-assed localizations like EA. Looking forward to seeing how this and Batman are received. Still, MW2 is not getting a great deal of marketing by the looks of it :/

Can you blame them? It's a western FPS which will probably sell under 100k combined, coming out a week before their second biggest title of the year, and one which probably requires a ton of marketing to achieve the desired sales result. :lol

Has anyone tried Graces yet? Is it even out?
I'd like to see what the reviewers said about it.

duckroll said:
The usual shit. Famitsu reviews are not very interesting! They like the new approaches to combat and cooking. They find the new systems unique. The characters are interesting. The game plays a lot like an action game. Etc, etc. If you want to know how well a game plays, it's better to wait for actual impressions than a Famitsu review. Lol.

Yeah... JGAF is always much more interesting.

duckroll

-WindYoshi- said:
Has anyone tried Graces yet? Is it even out?
I'd like to see what the reviewers said about it.

The usual shit. Famitsu reviews are not very interesting! They like the new approaches to combat and cooking. They find the new systems unique. The characters are interesting. The game plays a lot like an action game. Etc, etc. If you want to know how well a game plays, it's better to wait for actual impressions than a Famitsu review. Lol.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
duckroll said:
Dude, I already posted this, in this SAME thread, hours ago.
Obviously Jiggle has found a way to put you on his ignore list.

It's a pretty impressive feat considering you're a mod.

After the GAF 2009 GOTY thread is over, the instigator of that thread will have to also prepare themselves for a GAF 2010 GameOfTheMarch thread. Shit is ridiculous.

Peace Walker must be massively further along than any of us thought. English demo soon surely then, or maybe they'll just hoard it until a few weeks before release? Currently my March will be Peace Walker, Yakuza 3 (pending on bullshit) and a FF13 rental. The rest will just have to fucking wait? Can't wait for peoples 2010 backlog threads starting after the god damned third month of the year :lol

Aru

SecretBonusPoint said:
WHAT THE FUCK MARCH.

You are making decisions VERY DIFFICULT FOR ME, March. I have NO FUCKING IDEA how to afford this insane month, WHYYYYYYYY.

Simple: one game at a time. For the rest, wait for slashed prices and times when you have nothing more to play :p

TreIII

duckroll said:

Bring it on, I say.

Honestly, there's nothing for me to look forward to this month, or the next. I don't really have anything beyond Zangeki in February, and then it really starts getting interesting in March.

So...by then, I should hopefully have plenty of time and money to play more games. Or at least, certainly Zangeki, Hokuto and BASARA 3. My top 3 hopefuls for 2010! :D

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
So KOFXII Black was a false rumor huh?

:(

Yaweee

duckroll said:
There have been 4 perfect scores this year. It's really awful. I really think the scoring system is fucked. They should introduce a 5th reviewer starting in 2010, or it would be very hard to keep going the way they are now. Credibility is quickly slipping away when everyone is able to "predict" that all major landmark releases in Japan will get a perfect score, and if they simply stop giving perfect scores it will hurt their relationship with publishers under existing agreements and the existing culture of how things work. By adding a 5th reviewer they'll be able to avoid both problems, simply because the benchmark of a "perfect" score will have increased to 50.

Not that any of this really matters ultimately, because if you actually rely on Famitsu reviews to make any argument, point or decision, you're already fucked. :lol

Is there a detailed review database for Famitsu online anywhere? People seem to pay attention to the increase in 40/40s, but I'm curious as to how much the average score or number of 10s given have increased.

Yaweee said:
Is there a detailed review database for Famitsu online anywhere? People seem to pay attention to the increase in 40/40s, but I'm curious as to how much the average score or number of 10s given have increased.

This is probably about as good as it gets. Over half of their perfect scores have been awarded in the last 2 years. It was 12 years before they awarded their first perfect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Famitsu#Perfect_scores

Johann

androvsky said:
Uh-oh, intern mixed up the checks? ;)

Don't forget that Square-Enix published the game in Japan. In all seriousness, the localization effort probably helped it get a better score. I think its tied with GTA4 as the highest scoring Western game in Famitsu.

Yaweee said:

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998)
Soulcalibur (1999)
Vagrant Story (2000)
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (2003)
Nintendogs (2005)
Final Fantasy XII (2006)

And then...

Super Smash Bros. Brawl (2008)
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (2008)
428: Fūsa Sareta Shibuya de (2008)
Dragon Quest IX (2009)
Monster Hunter Tri (2009)
Bayonetta (2009)
New Super Mario Bros. Wii (2009)

jett

D-Member
RadioHeadAche said:
Otacon gets the girl.

metal-gear-solid-4-guns-of-the-patriots--20070920004527425_640w.jpg

Yes indeed.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
That chronicles the # of 40s given, but not the number of 10s. If you look in the past at how common a 10 was, it would probably be rare. CoDMW2 will never be put on a wikipedia page as having got a 39, but I would wager a few years ago it would not be close to that.

But maybe it would be! It is a very popular game!

Yaweee

Nirolak said:
Actually, the Wikipedia page lists 39's also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Famitsu

Now that's what I'm talking about; the number of 39s given seems fairly consistent across the years (since '95, 2- 1- 1- 0- 1- 1- 2- 1- 0- 2- 3- 1- 1- 1. What about 38s, 37s, everything? Are the increase in 40s awarded really indicative of a massive swing in the average or overall ease of each reviewer? The answer is likely more complicated than a simple "Famitsu used to be tough, now they're not".

Adding up the number of 39s and 40s for each of the years since '95 gives
95 - 2
96 - 1
97 - 0
98 - 2
99 - 2
00 - 1
01 - 2
02 - 1
03 - 1
04 - 2
05 - 4
06 - 2
07 - 1
08 - 4
09 - 5

I don't know, I'm just curious in this kind of thing. I'd do a more in depth analysis if I found a detailed database. People seem to make wild inferences about how hard or easy different review sources are, but they're often entirely off base (at least compared to Gamerankings average %s in their site profiles).

I think I'm becoming psychic. The other day I popped in Yakuza2 for the first time in ages, then the Amazon Germany thing came up, then just today on a whim I decided to play some MGS4 and now this.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Dammit all what's the website this story is taken from? Errh well not exactly that story but the one where you get that generic summary and you fill in the blanks with whatever?
http://www.thesnakesoup.org/?section=articles&content=mgs4dumb

Helicoptering Hummingbird was from the war-torn country of America. Her town was invaded by soldiers when she was a small child. They captured her and made her spin herself and her family while Helicoptering. Then they spun her and left her for dead. Out of nowhere a Hummingbird came in and killed the soldiers by spinning them. After the soldiers, it killed some pregnant women. She tried to stop it but the Hummingbird was unstoppable. The thing was, though... there was no Hummingbird. She was consumed by her Helicoptering. Fighting you cleansed her soul and back, Snake.

EXGN

duckroll said:
Can you blame them? It's a western FPS which will probably sell under 100k combined, coming out a week before their second biggest title of the year, and one which probably requires a ton of marketing to achieve the desired sales result. :lol

I dunno, considering the original MW sold over 250,000 units(across PS3/360), and people were lining up to get an import copy of the game, I'd say there's a fair amount of anticipation for the title.

I think Famitsu said the first shipment would be 100K, so I really wouldn't be surprised to see it do 60K+ opening week.

duckroll

EXGN said:
I dunno, considering the original MW sold over 250,000 units(across PS3/360), and people were lining up to get an import copy of the game, I'd say there's a fair amount of anticipation for the title.

I think Famitsu said the first shipment would be 100K, so I really wouldn't be surprised to see it do 60K+ opening week.

Over 250k? What? The original Modern Warfare sold 75k total across both platforms. The Best re-release which came out 3 months ago went on to sell another 70k across both platforms (90% of that was on the PS3 though). Not sure where you're getting your numbers from...

Edit: My bad. It sold 160k originally! Don't hit me! :lol

Edit2: WOW. The PS3 version sold 20k in the first week, and went on to sell 120k in a year? That's some legs...

holy smokes, wonder when kojima productions will say anything about the game, march 18th this game been in produciton for a while already!!

Johann

duckroll said:
Over 250k? What? The original Modern Warfare sold 75k total across both platforms. The Best re-release which came out 3 months ago went on to sell another 70k across both platforms (90% of that was on the PS3 though). Not sure where you're getting your numbers from...

Edit: My bad. It sold 160k originally! Don't hit me! :lol

Edit2: WOW. The PS3 version sold 20k in the first week, and went on to sell 120k in a year? That's some legs...

There quite a cult following in Japan for CoD4 and Left4Dead. They have their own forums, training videos, and wikis. I've played some pretty intense (and lag-erific) games with them.

Top Bottom