• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu polls Japan for their top 10 most memorable games per console

Nothing really surprising other than Rockman not being on the Famicom list.

8. Mobile Suit Gundam: Gihren’s Ambition - 78 votes

Ys45ol5.jpg

This is a neat series if you're into Gundam and can read it, btw. Actually win the One Year War as Zeon and other fun what ifs.

Frillen

Pretty boring list, outside of Baten Kaitos. Too much Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy and Pokemon. Ruby/Sapphire best GBA game!? Come on...

Square2015

Nice to see Final Fantasy V over the other two in the SNES list. The sample size isn't too big but I like seeing some recognition somewhere.
FFV seems to be the favorite in Japan amongst the SFC, I've seen FFV ahead of IV and VI in other surveys also. FYI it was the first FF to really go mainstream (broke 2m+).

cj_iwakura

Nothing really surprising other than Rockman not being on the Famicom list.

Ys45ol5.jpg

This is a neat series if you're into Gundam and can read it, btw. Actually win the One Year War as Zeon and other fun what ifs.

Never even heard of it, either it's absurdly rare or dirt cheap.

jjonez18

I've really got to get around to playing FFVII. It just feels like a gaming sin. Owning all PlayStation consoles and not playing VII.

GamerJM

Banned
It's a damn shame that a good amount of these have still not been brought to the US yet, like the Far East of Eden and Sakura Wars games.

Rob2K19

Golden Sun and Mega Man Battle Network?

Awesome.

Only thing I had a problem with was God Eater having more votes than Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep.

redcrayon

Interesting to see Pokemon slip down the rankings on Nintendo portables over time (also still insanely popular obviously). Also to see Etrian Odyssey in the top ten on DS considering its relatively low sales. Maybe because it was a new IP that still has resonance now, or because it's more fondly remembered by the type of people who fill in these surveys! :D Best new IP last gen for me, can't wait for the next one.

Good to see Strange Journey there too, and Professor Layton.

I find it strange Halo 3 is not on the list. Both Halo and Halo 5 made it. Yet Halo 3, which was the highest selling isn't on the 360 list.

Obviously the list isn't based on sells, but considering Halo 3 was the most hyped and played Halo, I find it strange.

I remember when people were talking about how Japan actually strongly dislikes Mother 3 (when in reality it was based only on like a single thread in 2ch or something).

In reality though, I think Mother 1 and 3 got on without 2 just because the Super Famicom has more competition.

Wilsongt

Nice to see Japanese fans rememeber Shining Force.

Also, those xbox numbers are lol worthy

also, there is a lack of Game Gear on there.

Soriku

Persona 3 and Baten Kaitos 1 but no Persona 4 (PS2) or Baten Kaitos Origins...

Pretty surprised at no SMT Nocturne. Maybe Maniax coming later had an effect?

Eolz

Persona 3 and Baten Kaitos 1 but no Persona 4 (PS2) or Baten Kaitos Origins...

Pretty surprised at no SMT Nocturne. Maybe Maniax coming later had an effect?

Maybe Nocturne is not as good as some people like to think? ;)

Beth Cyra

Why do people in Japan like FFV so much, was it just a time and a place kind of thing?
Different tone, exposure and huge break through sells wise.

FFV has a lot going for it that no other game in the franchise does, it makes a ton of sense that it does as well as it does in Japan polls.

Square2015

I would like to see a top 20 or more, especially for the SFC and PSX...so many great games, it needs to be longer than just a 10 list.

Aters

Gameplay wise, it is so much better than 4 or 6. Story wise, it sucks, but so do 4 and 6 when you're no longer a child.

We are talking about memorable stories here. I'd take the good old FFVI story that can really leave an impact to a kid to any not-as-good-as-film stories from games that are considered well written today.

Top Bottom