• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu polls Japan for their top 10 most memorable games per console

neohwa

Japan likes RE: Revelations 1 & 2?!

Good. Very good.

that really make no sense though as it's no where to be found on the 3DS list.

and no RE5 and RE6 anywhere?

Western games are dominating now in Japan, just look at the PS4 list.

SalvaPot

I am surprised by the Baten kaitos numbers, always wanted to play it but I was under the impression that it was not that popular.

I am surprised by the Baten kaitos numbers, always wanted to play it but I was under the impression that it was not that popular.

The first one honestly isn't terribly interesting. But its prequel game in Origins is one of the best JRPGs of the 6th generation.

ethomaz

Banned
that really make no sense though as it's no where to be found on the 3DS list.

and no RE5 and RE6 anywhere?

Western games are dominating now in Japan, just look at the PS4 list.
No RE5 and RE6 makes a lot of sense... there are not what we expect from RE games.

Bishop89

2. Dragon Quest VIII - 343 votes

1. Final Fantasy X - 631 votes
0g7htVN.gif

At risk of sounding a total cynic, the most poignant thing about this list is that the Japanese have comparably boring taste to the rest of the world.

At least SMT and Mother is well represented.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Really surprised to see Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE make it 5 on the Wii U list considering how badly it sold (well deserved imo too)

It didnt deserve its sales and has been gaining some traction thanks to great word of mouth

yeah, but I wanted to clarify because the poll weirdly LISTS Earthbound, but under Famicom.

On one hand, you could maybe justify it since the """official""" English name of the game for many years was just "Earthbound" (as it still says on the English version's title screen, in fact).

On the other hand, the poll calls Ghouls 'n Ghosts (on Genesis) "Ghosts 'n Goblins", so it's probably just a mistake.

Cade

On one hand, you could maybe justify it since the """official""" English name of the game for many years was just "Earthbound" (as it still says on the English version's title screen, in fact).

On the other hand, the poll calls Ghouls 'n Ghosts (on Genesis) "Ghosts 'n Goblins", so it's probably just a mistake.

Probably a translator's error, all things considered. Nonetheless, the lack of EarthMother2Bound is odd. Just too many FFs on SFC, I guess.

SkyOdin

I am surprised to see how many SaGa titles on on these lists. SaGa 1 and 2 on the GBA, Romancing SaGa Minstrel Song, and SaGa Frontier. I'm glad to see the series be so well remembered.

Why do people in Japan like FFV so much, was it just a time and a place kind of thing?
They probably love it for the same reasons that NeoGAF has an annual group challenge playthrough for the game. Final Fantasy IV is the game that made me an RPG fan. Final Fantasy VI practically is my childhood. But I still think that Final Fantasy V is the game with the best gameplay and replayability of almost any game in the series.

It didnt deserve its sales and has been gaining some traction thanks to great word of mouth

Bayonetta 2 sold like shit too and it placed even higher on the list. There's no audience for those games on the Wii U, but they're highly rated among the people who played them.

Star Ocean 4 is the best selling Xbox 360 game of all time in Japan and it isn't even on that list, hahahahaha. RIP Star Ocean
It's not surprising tho because the game was awful. It's pretty amazing that tri-Ace managed to make something as good as Resonance of Fate in between all of the shitty games they've released lately.

Eolz

Bayonetta 2 sold like shit too and it placed even higher on the list. There's no audience for those games on the Wii U, but they're highly rated among the people who played them.

There's no audience for those games anywhere to be fair.

Damn, doesn't look like there's anything not Japanese up until the Xbox.
Yeah, I'm surprised it takes quite so long, there are plenty of great Western games before that. I feel a similar list from our side would be more regionally diverse, with plenty of Western and Japanese titles.

Surprised to see no GTA at all too.

Ventara

Japan's got good taste, especially for their number 1 pick for PS3 and Wii. Can't say the same for 360 number 1, lol.

Not a single Metroid?

WTF japan

Japan doesn't care about Metroid. That's why it was handed off to a western developer for the Prime series.

Also good to see Snatcher still being remembered! A shame Sdatcher just ended up being a radio play instead of a game collab between Suda and Kojima.

Yeah, surprised to see Snatcher there as a favorite. Japan never got the Sega/Mega CD version of Snatcher, BTW. The Sega CD version was made specifically for the English speaking regions of the western market and was only sold in North America and the UK. Apparently Hideo Kojima had no idea that an English version of Snatcher existed either, he was shocked when someone showed it to him for the first time at a signing event.

Replicant

Queen Lightning taking number 2 position for her PS3 debut. Prepare for her incoming arrival on Final Fantasy XV, GAF!

Also lol @ RE4 flopping at No.9 on Gamecube chart. Either Nintendo fans not into RE or RE4 is not as popular as some of its fans would like to think.

Yeah, surprised to see Snatcher there as a favorite. Japan never got the Sega/Mega CD version of Snatcher, BTW. The Sega CD version was made specifically for the English speaking regions of the western market and was only sold in North America and the UK. Apparently Hideo Kojima had no idea that an English version of Snatcher existed either, he was shocked when someone showed it to him for the first time at a signing event.

Yeah, I know that the PC Engine version was the one which was the remake of Snatcher that Kojima and crew worked on (with the SEGA CD port being done by a very small team at Konami), which originally released on PC88 and MSX2 platforms. It's funny that they made PSX and Saturn versions that both would have probably sold much better in English territories but left them in Japan and created the SEGA CD version when that system was not the best choice for it, imo. But I do like the SEGA CD version the most regardless.

Also lol @ RE4 flopping at No.9 on Gamecube chart. Either Nintendo fans not into RE or RE4 is not as popular as some of its fans would like to think.

RE1 Remake charted far higher than RE4 on the same list, though. It appears as though Japan much prefers classic RE to action RE.

Jobbs

Banned
Yeah, sometimes I don't realize just how popular Dragon Quest was in Japan during the NES era. They'd put out a new game and retailers would be unable to keep it stocked. Lines would form.

Personally I absolutely adore Dragon Quest and wish it were more popular in the west so we'd get even more of them.

Tizoc

Yeah, I know that the PC Engine version was the one which was the remake of Snatcher that Kojima and crew worked on (with the SEGA CD port being done by a very small team at Konami), which originally released on PC88 and MSX2 platforms. It's funny that they made PSX and Saturn versions that both would have probably sold much better in English territories but left them in Japan and created the SEGA CD version when that system was not the best choice for it, imo. But I do like the SEGA CD version the most regardless.

RE1 Remake charted far higher than RE4 on the same list, though. It appears as though Japan much prefers classic RE to action RE.
Or they just like re1 a lot that they were more interesed in the remake
Was t re6 one of the top selling games in japan on ps360 or something?

I'm just glad the best FF continues to win. (FFVII) The remake is going to do gangbusters.

UC4 being so high (and the fact they're doing current gen polls so early in the life-cycle) was a bit of a shock, though.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!

redcrayon

Queen Lightning taking number 2 position for her PS3 debut. Prepare for her incoming arrival on Final Fantasy XV, GAF!

Not really sure how being the ninth most memorable game on any system with hundreds of games is 'flopping' or an indication of a lack of popularity. Being on the list at all means it's more memorable to those respondents than well over 600 other GC games, with only 8 above it. That's pretty memorable.

skypunch

Banned
Love that Xenoblade is #1 in Wii & Baten Kaitos is #2 in Gamecube. Xenoblade is the best game on the Wii. It's nice to see Xenoblade take the top spot instead of the usual predictable choice of Mario Galaxy or Smash Bros.

Pokémon Red and Green - 1176 votes

Where the fuck is Blue Japan? What has Squirttle ever done you?

In my school there was a civil war between Red and Blue. All those Carmander fucks could step the fuck down.
And then the rich kid got the Link Cable, and there was a truce. We called him the Swizz. Mostly because he smelled like Toblerone, but also because he was pretty neutral and chill.

When Yellow came out, it was like.. "how is this possible". I remember not being able to comprehend how Pikachu would fllow you around.

Obviously, when gold and silver rolled out, everyone went with Silver. People who went with Gold were tacky orange-tinted frosty tipped boy band pop boys with their buffalo shoes and kappa sports jocking pants with the sided buttons all the way up, and their Aqua and Smashing Pumpkins hoodies.

If you discriminate against Pokemon Blue, you're discriminating against the only parent I ever had. I was raised in these Kanto streets.

Top Bottom