• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu provides new details for Matsuno's Crimson Shroud

This is a compilation of games called Guild01. We aren't going to see Crimson Shroud ever if Guild01 doesn't get translated.
I can see a scenario where the Guild01 games get split up and released individually on the eShop. Less risky that way, plus L5IA can fully selfpublish without the need for Nintendo or Bandai to handle the retail channel for them.

MATSUNO GAEM

QoJj8.gif

Really dig this character design. Shits on pretty much everything I've seen in recent jRPGs.

Him, Stocke, Yuri, and Gestalt Nier. Hell, I'd put Shulk on this list too.

Chasers.
Risk Breakers.
Matsuno has a thing for oddly named professions or something.
Also that last part of the interview kinda got to me. Matsuno is tired of the Matsuno feel. I'd actually like to see him do something different.
A light hearted adventure?

There's this delicate art to names such as those: "Risk Breakers" "Last Ranker" "Radiant Silvergun"...obviously awkward both in English and the original meaning, but still having some sense of purpose and power behind the words and explaining the meaning when not read as a proper noun.

Yeah I don't see a distinct problem with Matsuno trying something different as long as it is something he is actually interested in, and not something he is trying out of a sense of insecurity that no one is interested in what he is good at anymore. It's all about motivation. If a talented creator wants to try something that isn't what he usually does, it could still be cool.

I hope he didn't have something cooked up to show off at L5. That would be a downer.

And I just wanna see that puzzle game. He's made so many genres sing so far in his career, you know that it'd be good.

luca1980

Banned
I can't wait to see what he has in store for us.
The idea of playing a back to the basic yazz rpg concentrated project is thrilling.
More over this game taking drastic graphics choices must mean that the gameplay and its lore will be the core of the experience.
I'd love to find an addicting gameplay since yazz improved this aspect from game to game in his career.
Now i hope he won't make in the future puzzle, I think the jrpg market needs someone with his talent soo much.

Famassu

I simply can't get excited about this game at the moment. Or well, I refuse to get excited before an European release date is announced.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Giving the type of game and presentation, this must be really the smallest project Y.Matsuno worked on. Not that hyped anymore right now :\
Is this game even coming here in the west?

krYlon

I love everything about this so far. The artwork, the text adventuring, dice rolls, dungeon exploration.

So what are the chances of this coming to the west? It's Level 5 isn't it? So we might see this in about 2 years? Maybe?

monome

Giving the type of game and presentation, this must be really the smallest project Y.Matsuno worked on. Not that hyped anymore right now :\
Is this game even coming here in the west?

Matsuno can turn shit into gold. BELIEVE

luca1980

Banned
Matsuno can turn shit into gold. BELIEVE

this is a real truth!

my only complain is the 3ds regional lock, i hope level 5 will put a time travelers thing and make this multi handheld!

I love everything about this so far. The artwork, the text adventuring, dice rolls, dungeon exploration.
how is the dungeon exploration?
i didn't understand it so far...

duckroll

how is the dungeon exploration?
i didn't understand it so far...

Well, there's a map, which you can move around on. Your characters are all playing pieces, just like the enemies, like in a table top RPG. When you move into certain areas on the region map, events and/or battles will trigger:

img_about02.jpg

Sometimes during events, there will be choices you can select on the bottom screen. After completing the game the available choices will increase, making replays worthwhile:

img_about05.jpg

During certain event scenes, you will have to make saving throws to determine what happens. In this case you are ambushed by Goblins, and one of them attempts to fire an arrow at you from a short range. If you fail the saving throw, your weapon gets knocked out of your hand by the arrow:

img_about08.jpg

img_about09.jpg

img_about10.jpg

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Dat texture res...

Maybe they should skip having the normals layers and just bump the res of the primary texture...

Still interested though, seems pretty rad, but the GUI at least seems to need cleaning up.

Alex

Iffy visuals but it's not like it is it's own project (wish it was, though, rest of the games don't do much for me), really lovely art as usual for that colab.

The battle interface is probably the worst part. It's really... bad:

LiTyy.jpg

That's, uh, wow. Pretty bad. Maybe they've got the camera zoomed really close for the screenshot so you can see the detail in the characters (as opposed to being able to see what's going on). I have a feeling we're not going to be seeing anything up that close for very long in-game.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Yeah, why even have that stuff in 3D? Just put them and their names as icon representations at the bottom only.

luca1980

Banned
Well, there's a map, which you can move around on. Your characters are all playing pieces, just like the enemies 1

During certain event scenes, you will have to make saving throws to determine what happens. In this case you are ambushed by Goblins, and one of them attempts to fire an arrow at you from a short range. If you fail the saving throw, your weapon gets knocked out of your hand by the arrow: 2
1 so the map art should be the map itself?
2 that's interesting. It seems to me an rpg to the pure core!!

That's, uh, wow. Pretty bad. Maybe they've got the camera zoomed really close for the screenshot so you can see the detail in the characters (as opposed to being able to see what's going on). I have a feeling we're not going to be seeing anything up that close for very long in-game.

On the one hand, I hope you're right and the HUD elements there move and change to fit the new screen perspective and size. On the other, we know his old crew isn't running with Matsuno on this, and if this is clunky as hell, they wouldn't have done something like that.

massoluk

Banned
With Suda's game and this one, I'm already sold. I couldn't care less about the other games in Guild01. Please, please, please come to NA.

Truth101

Banned

Matsuno already said that the games in Guild01 aren't being pushed graphically.

All I can think about is how much I'd prefer the battle screen to have the character text at least pushed to the edges of the screen. Frankly I think I'd rather have it all at the bottom of the screen even if it meant less visible area for the character models. Hell, show them smaller, it might make the textures appear better.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
That's why this game remembered me of this one:

mbinUChpY.jpg

It's Hideo Minaba's doing :D

horsebird

Banned
Between this and that other beautiful Square rpg (don't remember the exact name, just that it was something ridiculous), I might just have to pick up a 3ds!

For christ's sake, I can see her vag...
Wow, just took another look. It's really not even subtle.

Meier

It is part of an omnibus game collection called Guild01 on the 3DS. It'll be out in Japan in May, and it consists of 4 games from different creators. Suda51 is making an anime style 3D top down shooter, Matsuno is making a RPG, Yoot Saito is making an airport sim, and some Japanese comedian is making a weapon shop sim.

http://www.guild01.jp

This is Crimson Shroud: http://www.guild01.jp/crimsonshroud/index.html

WHOA, Yoot Saito making an airport sim?! I knew he was involved but didn't know what he was doing. This just keeps getting better and better! Hopefully we get to play it some day here in the States...

Matsuno's art is second to none.

massoluk

Banned
WHOA, Yoot Saito making an airport sim?! I knew he was involved but didn't know what he was doing. This just keeps getting better and better! Hopefully we get to play it some day here in the States...

Matsuno's art is second to none.

It's looking more and more like pure puzzle than airport sim. Disappointed I am.

luca1980

Banned
I hope for a ios port since matsuno himself plays ios games...

Anyway art design is nice, but yoshida imho > minaba...

Top Bottom