• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu-Readers rank the Top 50 Nintendo-titles of ALL TIME

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Hopefully this list will allow people to understand why Metroid didn't get a 25th Anniversary special, and why Fire Emblem is more important than Famicom Wars.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I must admit I am somewhat surprised to see Famicom Detective Club rank so highly. Would love for Nintendo to pump out a new one on the 3DS.

Of course every person is going to think differently of the various franchises and even the intra-franchise ordering, but... Baseball makes the top 50?
Ubermatik said:
Mario Kart 64 only at 27? Sunshine was HIGHER!? Majora's Mask so low?

Blimey.

This IS the eastern market, though.
Easter market eats up Mario Kart. But Famitsu respondees don't necessarily love what sells well to the market at large. I mean, no Wii Sports while NES Golf and Baseball still make the list.

This list actually looks better than most other readers lists I've seen...like the ones with 3 CoD games or whatever in the top 10 of an all time best games list.

King Boo

glad kirby air ride made it on the list. maybe there is hope for another.

also i didn't know xenoblade was made by nintendo. didn't look nintendoish to me.

Get it if you like Earth Defense Force. It's definitely not as good as EDF2, but I still think it's the best game Nintendo has ever published.

Man I LOVE EDF2. Sick, so I won't regret importing it.
EDIT: After looking at some more footage, is it on rails, or am I crazy? (yep, just crazy)

But is huge nostalgia not also part of a games quality? Nostalgia comes from the good impression it had on you back then so I guess it should count.

Nostalgia is bullshit. When you actually start playing a game, you start to see the vast disconnect between your rosy-eyed vision of it and the harsh reality.

Of course every person is going to think differently of the various franchises and even the intra-franchise ordering, but... Baseball makes the top 50?

Easter market eats up Mario Kart. But Famitsu respondees don't necessarily love what sells well to the market at large. I mean, no Wii Sports while NES Golf and Baseball still make the list.

I think Easter market's prefer games like Billy Hatcher.

Imagine a list of the top fifty greatest Star Wars things.

It would have the movie Return of the Jedi at the very top, followed by the novels, games, comics, action figures, short stories, posters, animated series, spinoffs prequels and eventually reach fifty things.

The list would, notably and shockingly, not have "A New Hope" or "The Empire Strikes Back" included anywhere in its top fifty.

That's a bit like what has happened here.

Garou

Imagine a list of the top fifty greatest Star Wars things.

It would have the movie Return of the Jedi at the very top, followed by the novels, games, comics, action figures, short stories, posters, animated series, spinoffs prequels and eventually reach fifty things.

The list would, notably and shockingly, not have "A New Hope" or "The Empire Strikes Back" included anywhere in its top fifty.

That's a bit like what has happened here.

You liked "Mario Bros." and "Super Mario Bros. Lost Levels" THAT much?

Note: Magazine readers from different parts of the world are also capable of having debatable taste. Observe:

Official Nintendo Magazine's readership confirms the best Sonic games, in order.

1. Sonic The Hedgehog 2

2. Sonic Adventure 2: Battle

3. Sonic The Hedgehog 3 and Knuckles

4. Sonic The Hedgehog

5. Sonic Adventure

6. Shadow The Hedgehog

7. Sonic Unleashed

8. Sonic Heroes

9. Sonic CD

10. Sonic Advance 3

The utter shite Sonic Adventure 2 is better than Sonic 3 and Knuckles, and the even more utter shite Shadow the Hedgehog is better than Sonic CD.

In short, its probably best not to read too much into these things.

You liked "Mario Bros." and "Super Mario Bros. Lost Levels" THAT much?

I think we're getting our similes crossed, but regardless I loved Lost Levels.

extralite

Mother 2 over Mother 1? Seriously? And no Mother 3? Personally, Mother > Mother 3 >> Mother 2.

And where's 3D Land? Sunshine over SMB3?

Can't say I agree with these charts at all. But good to see Skyward Sword so high.

Wow, nice to see Mother 2 (Earthbound) place so highly on the list. Right under Mario and Zelda. Xenoblade and Skyward Sword are very interesting to see too.

On the flipside I noticed how poorly the two Metroid titles ranked, both in the bottom three. Super Metroid and the Metroid Prime trilogy were absent from the list too. Just goes to show that Metroid really is not that popular nor memorable in Japan.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Why is Banjo Tooie on that list? Banjo is a Rare franchise and that was never first party, are we talking about Nintendo published games or internally developed games?

There's a lot of truth in that list, but the absence of Metroid Prime and Super Metroid invalidates it lol.

Boney

Banned
14. Famicom Tantei Club Part II Famicom-DiscDrive

Now I really need to play this.

Where's Rhythm Tengoku though

No Super Metroid? Seriously, is anyone actually thinking this one out? I know, I know, Japan doesn't like Metroid much, especially the Prime series(MP is probably my personal favorite Nintendo game, but by now I realize Japan just doesn't get it), but 1 and 2 make the cut. Who could possibly enjoy the first two games and not think Super was leaps and bounds better? Christ. Fusion and ZM are also waaaaay better than the original and 2. So glad that the rest of the world seems to understand this...

Why is Mario 64 for the DS on there? Who voted for that? Young readers, perhaps? If that's the case, I can kind of understand, and I'm glad the younger generation is playing it.

No DKCR is kind of surprising. I realize some people might prefer the original Country games, but replaying them post-Returns made me realize that while they have a ton of great qualities, the visuals cause inexcusable problems(not being able to tell where a platform ends) that are deal breakers for me.

No F-Zero GX? I thought Japan liked racing games. I only just started playing it this year. So sad that I missed out for so long, especially when racing games have a limited fanbase to begin with.

Top Bottom