• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu-Readers rank the Top 50 Nintendo-titles of ALL TIME

IrishNinja

no one's gonna be happy, but that's not really a bad list.

Oh come on. That game wasn't good.

(@ mario sunshine): a bold statement, but you have my fire flower.

and damn, seeing Xenoblade that high...really got something to look forward to there, apparently.

Famitsu readers are as bad as their reviews? Or should it be the usual a mob has the intelligence of its weakest link.
The old Fire Emblems were that good? Did they have similar gameplay to the modern ones that got international releases?
Its more to do with the fact that those two are the best selling Fire Emblem games by a longshot and that also explains a lot of the games (wait a sec...). As for gameplay they're similar in how stats work:
11. Fire Emblem – Seisen no Keifu SNES It is played out on much bigger maps and so it has that (ugh) epic scale. You can repair weapons for gold. Also it has what is generally thought to be the best plot of any Fire Emblem game. Also has a romance system (the children of the couples you make play out the second half of the story) and introduced the popular skill system. Low difficulty is it downpoint (the Holy weapons are ridiculous and some of them like make the user a one-man army; when we're taking a wind Magic tome with 30 might, 4 weight and grants the user +10 skill, +20 speed...broken comes to mind)
16. Fire Emblem – Monsho no Nazo SNES The first half of this story (optional, thrown in for plot reasons as a bonus really) is Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon. The (much better) second half is the DS Fire Emblem we have yet to (will never?) receive. IIRC sold nearly 700,000 units making it the best selling Fire Emblem title.

As for...
47. Fire Emblem: Ankoku Ryū to Hikari no Tsurugi NES That game is I'd say unplayable* by today's standards (it has two more playable remakes though) so I just assume those were votes for "Fire Emblem" "which one?" "don't know" or some sort of respect for being the first one or great for 1990. Maybe Mother votes are the same (Mother 1 has a bad difficulty curve by today's standards, then again most RPGs back then that were pretty much like that)

*-What I mean is: Imagine playing Fire Emblem where: Most your units are rubbish, everybody has the same death quote, a character is lucky if they are a palette change, you can hold 4 items, you can not trade items only give them to other party members (with the 4 item limit), the only way to use storage is to go to a specific spot on the map and pay gold to deposit/withdraw the item (max 40), healers have a crazy leveling system (staff usage grants no EXP, but enemy combat gains same EXP as killing enemy).

So yeah sales things. F-Zero eclipsed any other game in that franchise. X and GX might have sold similar and have a hardcore following too small to dent this ranking (however it was determined).

Star Tropics ;_;
That appearing would be like Mother 3 or Xenoblade appearing on North America...wait a second...

I feel like the original Super Mario is #1 simply because of its legacy and not because its the greatest Nintendo game, cause it isn't.

Cheska

Pleased to see Xenoblade get some recognition, but the lack of some other titles is beyond disappointing. No Super Metroid? Jeez.

21. Donkey Kong Country SNES

36. Donkey Kong Country 2 SNES

qKmHb.gif

If only "commercially viable" games (or movies or books or music) were released, lots of your favorite stuff wouldn't exist.

If you release something amazing and it doesn't do well, you still released something amazing. Much preferable to keeping it in a jar and saying "no." Especially when you have a console that's still selling well and fuck-all on your release list for it.

Nintendo don't owe people video games. The villainisation of them for not wanting to shit away money by releasing a J-RPG on a practically dead console was pretty pathetic.

Tiktaalik

I am actually pretty ok with a lot of the placement here but wow no Super Metroid? Japan really doesn't care for the Metroid franchise do they.

rpmurphy

I feel like the original Super Mario is #1 simply because of its legacy and not because its the greatest Nintendo game, cause it isn't.
Quite a number of them on there are for legacy's sake. I wouldn't fault anyone for liking Super Mario Bros. the most though out of all the Mario games.

leroidys

I mean I've never played magical starsign... but that is the ONE gba game on the list? I think we need a new Marshall Plan : Video game taste edition.

SmithnCo

I mean I've never played magical starsign... but that is the ONE gba game on the list? I think we need a new Marshall Plan : Video game taste edition.

I've played it, it's a pretty standard RPG with some cool battle mechanics. It being the only GBA game is a travesty though.

Specifically I'm surprised Mother 3 isn't there.

Codeblue

I wish Intelligent Systems had remade the SNES Fire Emblem games instead. They certainly held up a lot better than FE 1.

Edit: just remembered that they did remake one but it never made it out of Japan.

Mistle

Control + F "Paper..." No Paper Mario TTYD??

Wasn't expecting Xenoblade to be so high, but it probably is that good!

None of those would make my top 10. Well Ocarina would. Maybe Super Mario 64. But seriously I have Galaxy. Metroid Fusion. F-Zero X. Fire Emblem 4. Zelda 2. Advance Wars DS. Star Fox 64. Donkey Kong '94. Wario Land 4. WarioWare. Zelda: Majora's Mask. Rhytm Tengoku.

I don't agree with all of them, but a few of those are spot on.

I swear I saw a new NeoGAF best Nintendo poll thread.

Cromat

Sorry to repeat myself but Pokemon appearing only in #28 means that this list is bullshit.

Half of Japan's adult population grew up on that game.

Anth0ny

Okay.

-I hate that SMB is #1. I really can't see an argument of how it's the greatest Nintendo game of all time. It is the most influential game of all time. It's probably the most important game of all time. But best game of all time? Come on. SMB3 and World blow it away.

-Xenoblade! Holy shit! I really need to play this game.

-Melee>Brawl. Take notes, Sakurai.

-Majora's Mask is too low =(

-Even though I prefer Banjo Kazooie, nice to see Tooie on the list.

Alrus

Control + F "Paper..." No Paper Mario TTYD??

Wasn't expecting Xenoblade to be so high, but it probably is that good!

Well it's an amazing game, but it still has a few annoying flaws and the story isn't really special. I wouldn't say it's the best jrpg ever but it's certainly pretty high on the list. Can't wait to see what Monolith will do with the Wii U :)

B.K.

Is Monolith Soft owned by Nintendo?

Yes. Bandai Namco sold Monolithsoft to Nintendo a few years ago. Bandai Namco sold 80% of the company stock to Nintendo and kept 16% for themselves. Now though, they quietly sold the rest of their shares of the company to Nintendo. Now, Nintendo owns 96% of Monolithsoft and Takahashi, Honne, and a couple others each have 1% each of the shares.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Is Xenoblade that good?

Define "that good."

If "that good" means "the 6th best game Nintendo has ever released," err, that's overdoing it, as much as I love the game.

If "that good" means "an all-time classic JRPG and one of the best games ever made for the Wii," then yes, it is that good.

Mdk7

Sunshine over Galaxy? No Super Metroid? No Metroid Prime? No Sin & Punishment?
Fuck off Japan, seriously.

Josh7289

It's interesting how popular Super Metroid, and the Metroid series in general, is in the West (or just the US?) compared to in Japan, if this list is anything to go by.

I also wonder if Sunshine ranking higher than Galaxy is another small difference between the West and Japan... Both games are great, though.

On the other hand, I don't think we would see the Mother series this high up on a list made by the readers of some Western magazine. The series has Shigesato Itoi behind it, which certainly helps its popularity in Japan, whereas he's relatively unknown here.

Fun stuff.

Reading this list, though, I can't help but feel excited thinking about all the quality entertainment Nintendo has brought out since 1983. :)

Alrus

It's interesting how popular Super Metroid, and the Metroid series in general, is in the West (or just the US?) compared to in Japan, if this list is anything to go by.

Metroid is only "popular" in the US. It doesn't do much in Europe either afaik.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i wonder if metroid's lack of popularity is due to its structure or its aesthetic? i find super metroid's omission very puzzling.

we've established they don't like it, but there's a discussion to be had about WHY they don't like METROID.

Joei

i wonder if metroid's lack of popularity is due to its structure or its aesthetic? i find super metroid's omission very puzzling.

we've established they don't like it, but there's a discussion to be had about WHY they don't like METROID.

i dont know why but maybe cause metroids a girl

SYNTAX182

My guess is Samus and the world of Metroid is loosely based on Ridley and the Aliens series, which is a film in English made in America. So American's relate more to it, while the Japanese don't. That's just my completely made up guess though.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
My guess is Samus and the world of Metroid is loosely based on Ridley and the Aliens series, which is a film in English made in America. So American's relate more to it, while the Japanese don't. That's just my completely made up guess though.

i would be interested to see what the market for sci-fi in general is in japan.

SYNTAX182

i would be interested to see what the market for sci-fi in general is in japan.

Yeah, if someone has insight on this, I'd like to know as well. From a quick glance, it seems sci-fi themes aren't as popular there as it is in America. This might be a reason why Metroid is only popular in the west.

Davey Cakes

-Melee>Brawl. Take notes, Sakurai.
Melee is one of the best Gamecube games, and Brawl is one of the best Wii games. In my opinion, the latter offers more and better content overall, but the former came first and already did very many things right so it wins.

And there seems to be a lot of "coming first" effects in this list. Obviously the games of the past that made history and are still relevant today are going to be seen as better than others. Super Mario Brothers being #1 shows that, in my opinion. Hell, Mother NES being there and Mother 3 not being there (when the latter is clearly superior), and Star Fox being there in SF64's absence are more examples of the effect.

Then again, after viewing the list a second time, there are a lot of examples that go against this as well. Hmmm.

Josh7289

You know, this is a ultra generalized statement here, but maybe it has something to do with the shooting/"guns" and missiles in Metroid? (fake edit: the point above about sci-fi also seems valid, especially sci-fi + guns like in Alien. Hell, Halo, Mass Effect... the list goes on) Other games with those themes are very popular in the US...

Actually what made me first think of this was this video of the Super Smash Bros. Melee reveal at E3 2001: http://youtu.be/thn-KLhZbeo?t=4m

Notice that in the intro, when Samus appears at 4:30 and is later introduced at 6:49, she receives a response from the crowd unlike any other character. I know it's a small thing, but it stuck out to me when I saw this video yesterday.

Of course, later on it would be revealed that Metroid Prime was under development at a US studio, which was probably a good choice going by the fans' reception of Samus in that video, and more importantly because the series did go on to find great critical and commercial success particularly in the US. I can't find any truly reliable NPD numbers but Wikipedia does say the game sold 1.49 million copies in the US (and much less in Japan): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metroid_Prime#Reception Going by other sources online, it looks like it sold at least 250,000 in Europe, but I can find even less reliable sources for that.

Some other, unrelated, things I noticed in the video:

* The next closest responses from the crowd were Sheik's appearance around 4:53 and Link and Sheik's later introductions at 7:07 and 7:15, respectively. Maybe Retro really should work on a Zelda title? I'm pretty sure the series has always been more popular in the West than in Japan, after all, though not to the degree that Metroid is in the US.

* Ness receives some applause as well at 5:08, and less so at 6:18. But you know what they say about the dedication of that fanbase.
3AQmK.gif

* Also the Ice Climbers receive applause at 7:23, but what hardcore Nintendo fan wouldn't be excited to see the company revisiting its past like that? :p

Top Bottom