• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Scans of Halo 3 PICS OF THE FORGE IN ACTION!

ant1532

Banned
I don't know if it's the grainy scan... But this looks hella better then everything else so far. The dropship looks hella damn nice.

baeceaabl.jpg

urk said:
Damn that looks incredible. And I'm going to go ahead and call it right now. Co-op in Metagame will be four players total over Xbox Live, but limited to two per system. Co-op campaign will be two players only, local and over Xbox Live.
That's...oddly specific. *shifty eyes*

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
LukeSmith said:
Looks like it works great if you find someone who just picked up the overshield and went to make a sandwich.

:lol

I think it's unfair to use button combos in matchmaking, but if you're playing the game with MLG settings button glitching is fair game.

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
ant1532 said:
So I got a question for you Luke. When it was your first day at Bungie, did they just set you in a chair in a dark room and tell you every little thing about the game for hours?

That would be so funny to see such a serious debrief on a videogame
Seriously though. "Showing Halo 3 to Luke for the first time" would be a documentary that I would gladly pay for!

FFChris

ant1532 said:
I don't know if it's the grainy scan... But this looks hella better then everything else so far. The dropship looks hella damn nice.

The top right picture of scan 3, with the chief on the back of a warthog looks amazing as well. Much better than the MP beta in my opinion.

lips

FFChris said:
You can really see the detail in those ones, even if they are a little grainy. Looks amazing.

Yeah, I totally see what you mean.

If you mean that the hype has totally surpassed any relevance to actual visual impressions! :lol

Mojovonio

Banned
urk said:
Damn that looks incredible. And I'm going to go ahead and call it right now. Co-op in Metagame will be four players total over Xbox Live, but limited to two per system. Co-op campaign will be two players only, local and over Xbox Live.

Metagame?

Mojovonio said:
Metagame?
As I understand it, you go through the campaign normally, but are awarded points based off playing stylishly, chaining kills, etc. All of this is posted to Bnet and rankings come into play just as they might in mp. Supposedly skulls also have some place in this but not much in the way of details yet beyond that.

Frenck

Banned
924ac5ed19722e9e5d42bf00ff6a6eda.JPG

Wow, such a nice screen on so many different levels.

- 3 Warthogs
- Meta Game score
- Urban setting
- Lighting
- More ammo for human weapons

Mojovonio

Banned
HallwayGiant said:
As I understand it, you go through the campaign normally, but are awarded points based off playing stylishly, chaining kills, etc. All of this is posted to Bnet and rankings come into play. Supposedly skulls also have some place in this but not much in the way of details yet beyond that.

WTF?

When was this announced?

Striker

Great stuff! Anticipation enlarged! :D

Re: four-player co-op

I don't think it will happen either. I rather have it simply two players, one be Arbiter and the other Master Chief. Plus four player would be too easy, IMO.

FFChris

Mojovonio said:
WTF?

When was this announced?

It has been known there is a metagame for a while, since we saw the achievement list I think. Now the french magazine has a little section of the article on it. It's basically an old fashioned score, which modifies depending on time taken to complete the level, kills, etc.

GhaleonEB

squicken said:
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3161595

old? this thread is too big and I'm too lazy to search.
I realize everyone is busy oogling those very, very pretty pictures (very) but there's some good stuff in here.

New Equipment

Radar Jammer: Mostly useless in Campaign mode (enemies don't use radar), this device tricks enemies with false radar images and fake shield ticks to simulate random, phony enemy attacks.

Personal Shield: Unlike the 360-degree bubble shield, this is a stationary version of the Jackal's handheld deflector, and it only protects against attacks from one direction. Stand behind the sheield and fire through to hit opponents on the other side.

Regenerator
: Its green field instantly recharges players' shields. "It's like the opposite of the Power Dragin," says Griesemer. "It's really handy in multiplayer. If you're standing on the hill, you're invincible unless they kill you in one hit."

Flare: The Flare merely blinds, rather than hurts, anyone (friend and foe alike) who sees it -- and that's OK. "If you have a short range weapon, the Flare will blind opponents long enough for you to get close," says Griesemer. His favorite strategy? "See a bunch of people guarding their flag? Throw the Flare down," he says. "By the time the Flare's gone, their flag is, too." Just take care to avert your eyes -- the Flaire will blind the player who throws it, too.

Invincibility: Brute chieftains would be intimidating enough with the ability to command legions, but their temporary invincibility power puts them right over the edge. "They'll hit and then start charging you with their Hammer, and you basically have to run away," Griesemer says. This powerful device will appear in multiplayer, but don't expect to see it too often.

baeceaabl.jpg

924ac5ed19722e9e5d42bf00ff6a6eda.JPG

Jesus on a pogostick those really do look incredible. 0_o

Personal Shield: Unlike the 360-degree bubble shield, this is a stationary version of the Jackal's handheld deflector, and it only protects against attacks from one direction. Stand behind the shield and fire through to hit opponents on the other side.
So not really like the Jackals shield at all then (at least in function)?

Does anyone know if 2 player co-op over LAN will be in?

And if is in then can I hook up over a LAN by me having my 360 wired to a wireless router and the other person having only the 360 wireless adaptor?

The description of some of the Campaign levels in the French mag is pretty good. The highway level sounds cool and the kind of stuff we haven't seen since Halo 1.

GhaleonEB

I'm personally looking forward to throwing a Power Drain down on top of a Regenerator in the middle of combat - and vice versa. Should lead to some delightfully confusing anarchy.

Oh, and in a Bubble Shield.

FFChris

GhaleonEB said:
I'm personally looking forward to throwing a Power Drain down on top of a Regenerator in the middle of combat - and vice versa. Should lead to some delightfully confusing anarchy.

I kept accidentally setting equipment in the beta, after intense firefights in my blind panic I kept pressing X instead of the new shoulder button reload. :lol

armubaba

Eric WK said:
Well... they're banned in Matchmaking because the result is an unlevel playing field. In an environment where the rules are clear that they can be used, it's fine. Well, not "fine" per se, but accepted. Show me where Frank or anyone else from Bungie has said otherwise and I'll stand corrected.

And MLG and Bungie have almost never been eye to eye on game balance. It's not like MLG's inclusion of something Bungie doesn't agree with is surprising. However, Bungie usually provides players with the tools to create the balance they desire. Unfortunately, in this case, they didn't do so knowingly.

I'm no saying that it shouldn't be accepted-I guess it's fine if you're playing by those rules-but that doesn't make it any less stupid.

I mean, look, I could hold a tournament where super-jumping is allowed, even encouraged. Now, if you join this tournament and agree to its rules, then whatever, use super-jumping, it's permitted. Sure, it's allowed, but does it change the fact that in my tourney, a glitch that Bungie says is bannable is being used? No. MLG has a right to play with those rules, however retarded they may be, and I have a right to think these retarded rules are, well, retarded.

Yeah, I understand that MLG has its own specific ruleset, and I'm fine with that. If you want to go to a pro tourney and use button combos, by all means, go nuts. All I'm saying is that I think it's stupid that MLG, which prides itself on being balanced and playing Halo the way its meant to be played, and their "pro" tournaments use these exploits.

ferrex said:
It's not often that I come to the MLG's defense, but realistically, they don't have much choice. Either they "ban" these exploits and every contest ends in controversy with each side claiming the other used a glitch (and them without any instant replay feature to verify it), or they explicitly permit it, make it as part of the required skill set, and have no such conflict.

Yeah, you have a point there. It does makes things much easier on MLG if they just let things like button combos slide. But aren't there cameras that record each tourney match from the perspective of each player? Yeah, it'd be tough, but if MLG really wanted to, it would be possible to see whether or not a player was using glitches....

Yeah, I guess my rant went a bit far there. If you want to play by MLG's rules, go ahead, it's fair game. I just think that these rules themselves, allowing button exploits, are stupid. The rant was more aimed at the 12-year-old elitist, rapping, teabagging asses with tags like xxxxxMLG_BxR_PROxxxxx who think they are the shit because they follow "pro" MLG rules, yo.

Mojovonio said:
I don't see how anyone could not be impressed with that screen of the Pelican's flying over the water and the explosion.

6f96e6w.jpg

Agreed.

My goodness, the amount of ass this game is going to kick is far beyond what my (admittedly feeble) mind can comprehend. I'm overexerting myself as it is; perhaps it'd be best if I just quietly laid down until September.

GhaleonEB

FFChris said:
I kept accidentally setting equipment in the beta, after intense firefights in my blind panic I kept pressing X instead of the new shoulder button reload. :lol
I had a tendancy to activate equipment that was utterly unhelpful to the situation at hand. I remember distinctly deploying the bubble shield to protect me from an attacker who promptly pulled out the shotgun. And more than a few Power Drain deployments on Snowbound didn't work out to well for me. :lol

I love how Equipment isn't a "win" button, but something that has to be used at the right times. Okay, the Invincibility might be a win button.

armubaba

GhaleonEB said:

All on a Grav Lift for good measure.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
armubaba said:
Yeah, I guess my rant went a bit far there. If you want to play by MLG's rules, go ahead, it's fair game. I just think that these rules themselves, allowing button exploits, are stupid. The rant was more aimed at the 12-year-old elitist, rapping, teabagging asses with tags like xxxxxMLG_BxR_PROxxxxx who think they are the shit because they follow "pro" MLG rules, yo.

A good rule of thumb is if someone has "MLG" in their gamertag, they're no way affiliated and have never participated in an MLG event :p

TDG

Banned
Man, there is just SO much to love in those pics. There's so much going on, so much interesting stuff. I wish I could play it right now.

As for the co-op stuff, I'm not going to speculate. I make jokes about it from time to time, but I really think Halo is best suited for 2-player co-op. If it has 4 player online co-op, great. If not, oh well. I'd only be dissappointed if there was no online co-op, period.

TDG

Banned
ElectricBlue187 said:
EGM gets screwed again :lol
Nah, I don't think so. Most of the people who see this stuff online are likely already plugged-in enough that they're subscribed. Besides, who here is going to no go and buy the magazine now that they've seen these scans?
I know I'll be buying the two covers I don't get from being a subscriber.

neoism

Stinkles said:
It's not Lockout. At all. Take your meds.

Maybe you will get Lockout, and maybe you won't. But this isn't Lockout, ruined or otherwise. it is a new map.

Lern 2 reed

:lol

Maybe Bungie's making successor maps to all(most) of the old favorite maps, and also making the same maps with just better graphics. Why just have a successor map when you can have the old maps too.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
ElectricBlue187 said:
EGM gets screwed again :lol

You know who's really getting screwed? Halo graphics trolls. Suck it down, bitchos. Grainy scans and all.

Kildace

I read the article, their depiction of what they saw impressed me more than the pictures. The gameplay sounds spectacular, I am now looking forward to that game more than Mass Effect.

I was willing to take Ghaleon's job as the official Bungie Weekly Update Poster but some loser made a thread...I still posted my choice quotes in it though. Ghaleon style bold and everything! Someone edit them into the first post:lol

Kildace said:
I read the article, their depiction of what they saw impressed me more than the pictures. The gameplay sounds spectacular, I am now looking forward to that game more than Mass Effect.

Yeah, it's a pity they weren't the ones taking the pictures (they were obviously fed official material by Bungie).

Top Bottom