• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Scans of Halo 3 PICS OF THE FORGE IN ACTION!

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
godhandiscen said:
You guys are raising your expectations too high again. Get it through your skulls, there is no 4 player coop.

Collect certain skulls to activate 4 player co-op, CONFIRMED.

godhandiscen said:
You guys are raising your expectations too high again. Get it through your skulls, there is no 4 player coop. It would not make sense. Only MC and the Arbiter are playable characters. If I post this is because you guys are giving false hope to people and then when the game is out and people find the lack of 4 player coop, somebody will end up blaming Bungie. If you hope there is 4 player coop, then plz keep it to yourself, and dont raise the hopes of others who do not know much about the subject.
Plus there are some real technical things that Bungie has to work out. Bungie already clarified this. They are working on it. But don't bet on it. Being confident about 4 player co-op making into retail game might cause big disappointment in the end if it isn't included in the game.

There are more than enough new things in Halo 3 to get excited.

Wolffen

Another 2 weeks until EGM 219 hits the stands, right? Dammit. And my subscription copy will arrive around August 23rd, most likely. I'd really like to be able to see these pics w/out the glow of a camera flash. =/ The Prowler looks kick ass in those French scans, though.

tombur

This co-op thing is really getting out of hand, starting to feel a tad sorry for the Bungie community staffers!

Cocopjojo said:
Collect certain skulls to activate 4 player co-op, CONFIRMED.

That was pretty good though :lol

Ace 8095

MirageDwarf said:
Plus there are some real technical things that Bungie has to work out. Bungie already clarified this. They are working on it. But don't bet on it. Being confident about 4 player co-op making into retail game might cause big disappointment in the end if it isn't included in the game.

There are more than enough new things in Halo 3 to get excited.
Believe!!!

Speevy

Banned
tombur said:
57704681220070727140929.jpg

Two words come to mind: Holy SHIT!

Holy moly. Halo 3 looks awesome.

clav

2 Player Co-op only. 4 Player would just be a name-callathon and who has more kills bragathon.

So many whiny kids. :(

cluto

Can someone tell me exactly what I'm looking at?

6frvfol.png

Because... from what I can tell, there are four players in the Metagame's after-game Carnage Report.

Dirtbag

I noticed the hornet (human flying vehicle) was shown on the mulltiplayer page! While the magazine could have easily screwed that up with a layout, here's to hoping for hornets in multiplayer.

pringles

Exarchos said:

http://i15.tinypic.com/6frvfol.png[IMG]

Because... from what I can tell, there are four players in the Metagame's after-game Carnage Report.[/QUOTE]
Probably just a misprint. There's nothing pointing towards 4-player co-op.
There are no american troops in Iraq.

Chinner

Banned
That Halo 3 scan is real nice. All the variations of plants and grass really helps make the scene as well. I just hope it loads furthur away this time than it did in the beta (like if you looked across the map or jumped into the man cannon in the beta, you couldn't see any foilage :( )

Kildace

Exarchos said:

6frvfol.png

Because... from what I can tell, there are four players in the Metagame's after-game Carnage Report.

"Metagame". Under this barbaric name hides a feature allowing you to spice-up the campaign mode. By default, it rewards the player according to its performance during combat. Speed, Accuracy and other criterion (combos, number of ennemies killed) influence your final score that is put on line and compared to other players'.
More importantly, the metagame also applies to co-op, all the players then compete against one another (without hindering each other, treason being heavily punished) to obtain the best score at the end of the mission. Lastly, skulls (hidden in the levels and activated before the mission) are handicaps that strongly reward you with points. One of them will warp everyone to the last checkpoint upon the death of one of the players. Harsh!

There is no mention of 4 player co-op in this blurb, and the only place where it is mentioned doesn't say that they have seen it, just that it appears to be featured on certain screenshots.

cluto

pringles said:
Probably just a misprint. There's nothing pointing towards 4-player co-op.
Look at the screenshot. You can't tell me that doesn't look like there are four people in the after-game Lobby thing.

Kildace said:
Lastly, skulls (hidden in the levels and activated before the mission) are handicaps that strongly reward you with points. One of them will warp everyone to the last checkpoint upon the death of one of the players. Harsh!

So basically just like Halo 2 co-op. I hated that.

GhaleonEB

A couple new things in the last round of scanz.

-What's the piece of equipment in the lower left of the first one? Similar base to the Bubble Shied, but the top half is different (the Bubble Shield is on the next page).

-Grunt in a new stationary gun on the second page.

-The Prowler looks awesome.

-Jungle is has pretty lush vegetation - much more so than the pics on Bungie.net

-I see at least three mentions of "Gears of War" in the article. I shouldn't ask, but I'm curious about the context.

CriscoDisco said:
People should read that.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
godhandiscen said:
You guys are raising your expectations too high again. Get it through your skulls, there is no 4 player coop. It would not make sense. Only MC and the Arbiter are playable characters. If I post this is because you guys are giving false hope to people and then when the game is out and people find the lack of 4 player coop, somebody will end up blaming Bungie. If you hope there is 4 player coop, then plz keep it to yourself, and dont raise the hopes of others who do not know much about the subject.

the thing is, it sounds like live co-op for 2 player is in some serious doubt. IF that makes it in, there will be reason to celebrate. 4 player co-op is such a pipe dream with no basis in reality. it wont happen

Ace 8095

Kildace said:
"Metagame". Under this barbaric name hides a feature allowing you to spice-up the campaign mode. By default, it rewards the player according to its performance during combat. Speed, Accuracy and other criterion (combos, number of ennemies killed) influence your final score that is put on line and compared to other players'.
More importantly, the metagame also applies to co-op, all the players then compete against one another (without hindering each other, treason being heavily punished) to obtain the best score at the end of the mission. Lastly, skulls (hidden in the levels and activated before the mission) are handicaps that strongly reward you with points. One of them will warp everyone to the last checkpoint upon the death of one of the players. Harsh!

There is no mention of 4 player co-op in this blurb, and the only place where it is mentioned doesn't say that they have seen it, just that it appears to be featured on certain screenshots.
It says all the players instead of both players. Everyone instead of the other. Believe!!!

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Exarchos said:

6frvfol.png

Ok, I'll eat my words. WTF Stinkles!

StranGER

tombur said:
Yeah, there are a shit load of Halo threads, sometimes 3 going at once. There needs to be a "One and only Halo thread".

i love it when they make a new one when something new is uncovered. the other ones get so huge i miss out on pages at atime trying to get caught back up.

godhandiscen

sableholic said:
57704681220070727140929.jpg

I've always wondered and maybe someone knows, but what is the arrow looking thing above the ammo counter on the AR?
Thats an awful lot of friendly units.

Havok

sableholic said:
I've always wondered and maybe someone knows, but what is the arrow looking thing above the ammo counter on the AR?

Its a compass. In Halo 1, it pointed towards Threshold, the gas giant. I would assume that it points north in Halo 3.

Edit: Beaten :(

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
sableholic said:

It points to the largest body of gravity in the system. It's on the AR because marines are frequently in new planetary systems and it's a way to orient themselves.

Double beaten. Ouch.

Lastly, skulls (hidden in the levels and activated before the mission) are handicaps that strongly reward you with points. One of them will warp everyone to the last checkpoint upon the death of one of the players. Harsh!

The leads me to believe that Legendary will have a different death system than the one in Halo 2. Otherwise, why have a skull for it? Would this skull just be useless in Legendary?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
holy shit @ new scans, just saw em. wow! cant wait for b.net media.

stinkles, can you confirm if there are any more vidocs bungie will release before halo 3 releases?

GhaleonEB

godhandiscen said:
Thats an awful lot of friendly units.
I count nine - which is more than you ever had in Halo 1 or 2, IIRC. But when you have this shit going down:

Nearby, other marines exchange gunfire with smaller Covenant vehicles in the shadow of a huge factory complex. In the distance, the fight continues. And above, the battle rages in the air as well, as Earth forces fight for the survival of their planet against the alien Covenant.

And it illustrates how the next-generation version of the "Halo" video game franchise has grown.

The battle, just one portion of the mission, has more enemies and allies than the entire first mission of "Halo 1."

"That just gives you an idea of the scale that we're going for. And these are not even the largest encounters in the game," explained Jaime Griesemer, whose title is Bungie's sandbox design lead. "The size really ramps up as you go through."
I think we'll need the meat shields help.

Alright Stinkles, What date will we get confirmation on whether or not Halo 3 supports online co-op? Give us a date for hope! Do it for the kids! (But not the racist mouth breathers on XBL)

From that impressions link
The Scarab has appeared before in the "Halo" world. But not like this.

"In 'Halo 2,' he was a big piece of moving geometry. He wasn't really real," Griesemer adds. "He was hand-animated and didn't really react to what you were doing. He had a scripted path that he went on."

"But in 'Halo 3,' he's an AI (artificial intelligence). He'll chase you around, he'll acquire targets. If he can't find you, he'll search for you. He's the biggest character we've every done, essentially. And there are dozens of ways to kill him."

Info is probably out there already on this, but I didn't know it so I'm officially. WOAH.

:D

armubaba

Holy **** these are AMAZING. If there was ever an inkling of doubt in me that thought Halo 3 wasn't going to satisfy me visually, these scans just raped that inkling in the ass. The lighting, the environments, the armor, the COLOR, all of it- just amazing. I am 100% honest when I say I am fully confident that Halo 3 will be AWESOME, both graphically and gameplay-wise. Hang in there guys, just under than two months left. :D

PS- I know I haven't took the time to say it, but Bungie- I love you. <3<3<3

GhaleonEB

UnholySpectacle said:
Alright Stinkles, What date will we get confirmation on whether or not Halo 3 supports online co-op? Give us a date for hope! Do it for the kids! (But not the racist mouth breathers on XBL)

Weekly Update said:
As we approach the tail end of development, we will have a clearer picture of whether or not that online feature will be included. Assuming either way would be foolish at this time. We will say more when we feel it’s prudent. Because that’s how we roll.
http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=12669

I expect this to be the last word from Bungie until they finalize things one way or the other.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Exarchos said:
*img*

I wish we could see it closer. It could just be a list of accomplishments in the meta game - "headshots - 234 pts, melees - 150 pts." But it certainly does have the exact same look as each player's stats in Halo 2. Here's hoping.

UnholySpectacle said:

If he did this, there would be a headline on every gaming site tomorrow morning - "Bungie to reveal online co-op on [date]!"

Exarchos said:

6frvfol.png

This is just my guess, but there is two icons next to the top two. I'm guessing that that signifies a player/character and then the two after that are something general for the two of them like say time elapsed or something like that. Something that doesn't apply to just one of them.

tombur

Nonetheless, like other elements of Halo 3, online co-op is a feature we’re wrestling with somewhere in a muddy and muggy Florida swamp against a ton-toothed Alligator, but, what we haven’t really talked about is how big the knife we brought to the wrasslin’ match is.

Sounds to me like they're trying hard, but meh. I've lowered my expectations for online co-op considerably. I'd much rather be suprised on day 1, playing online with a friend(s?), than read it from Stinkles (no offence) through a message board or Weekly update.

Thermite

GhaleonEB said:
People should read that.

indeed they should, my pants are tight after reading that article.

here are some tidbits that are just covered in awesomeness.

Nearby, other marines exchange gunfire with smaller Covenant vehicles in the shadow of a huge factory complex. In the distance, the fight continues. And above, the battle rages in the air as well, as Earth forces fight for the survival of their planet against the alien Covenant.

The battle, just one portion of the mission, has more enemies and allies than the entire first mission of "Halo 1."

"That just gives you an idea of the scale that we're going for. And these are not even the largest encounters in the game," explained Jaime Griesemer, whose title is Bungie's sandbox design lead. "The size really ramps up as you go through."

"Halo 3" is packed with detail. Audio lead Jay Weinland proudly notes that as of the morning of the journalists' visit, it included almost 54,000 pieces of audio: 1,000 pieces of music, 13,000 sound effects and 39,368 pieces of dialogue.

I'd be pleased if 2 player co-op was in, and not too disappointed if it was not given how much other meat there is to the game. 4 player would be an amazing achievement, but I don't expect it.

godhandiscen

urk said:
Eh, doesn't look like anything Timesplitters hasn't done before.
Timesplitters? The pinnacle of the FPS according to GAF? How dare you mention it in a Halo thread? The Halo-less fanboys will come at you!

Eric WK

sableholic said:
This is just my guess, but there is two icons next to the top two. I'm guessing that that signifies a player/character and then the two after that are something general for the two of them like say time elapsed or something like that. Something that doesn't apply to just one of them.

I highly doubt that. If that were the case, the color would match with the corresponding player. There are four distinct colors there.

I agree that this definitely looks like four player co-op, but I don't expect an answer any time soon. I also don't actually expect four player co-op, but this "evidence" is certainly convincing.

Eric WK said:
I highly doubt that. If that were the case, the color would match with the corresponding player. There are four distinct colors there.

I agree that this definitely looks like four player co-op, but I don't expect an answer any time soon. I also don't actually expect four player co-op, but this "evidence" is certainly convincing.

Why do the bottom two not have a icon next to them? And match what corresponding player? Its arbiter and chief. You mean green and black?

Cocopjojo said:
I wish we could see it closer. It could just be a list of accomplishments in the meta game - "headshots - 234 pts, melees - 150 pts." But it certainly does have the exact same look as each player's stats in Halo 2. Here's hoping.

If he did this, there would be a headline on every gaming site tomorrow morning - "Bungie to reveal online co-op on [date]!"

The stupid sites would. I guess I should rephrase my question. What date will we get the final news bomb that confirms or squashes all of the current rumors. ie online co-op, which vehicles are in multiplayer, etc.

If Frankie came out and said the press release that will put an end to these thread wars was August 25th, I would be happy. At this point, the fans are crying out for definitive info, not "That sure would be cool if that was an option" stuff that Frankie has to say. Bungie just needs to open the floodgates on info. I don't need to see a million screenshots, I just want finalized game mode info.

godhandiscen

UnholySpectacle said:
The stupid sites would. I guess I should rephrase my question. What date will we get the final news bomb that confirms or squashes all of the current rumors. ie online co-op, which vehicles are in multiplayer, etc.

If Frankie came out and said the press release that will put an end to these thread wars was August 25th, I would be happy. At this point, the fans are crying out for definitive info, not "That sure would be cool if that was an option" stuff that Frankie has to say. Bungie just needs to open the floodgates on info. I don't need to see a million screenshots, I just want finalized game mode info.
He will tell you on September 26.

Top Bottom