• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 PC performance thread

Erebus

I'm probably overlooking something but these medkits I see laying around.. every time I try to get one it wont let me (makes a beep sound), You can see in my pic I have 0 medical and anytime I press Q to heal he does the slow heal (bandage roll).

kogJB.jpg
You can't store those for later use and since you're maxed out on health (all 3 yellow bars are filled), you can't get the medipack.

Does anyone know if changing the MSAA setting from '0' to a higher value in the XML give you anything in DX9 mode? I changed it to 4x and felt like I got some decent AA.

JRW

You can't store those for later use and since you're maxed out on health (all 3 yellow bars are filled), you can't get the medipack.

It was actually not this after all, My syringe kit was full with other formulas (hunting / deep dive etc.) if I would've had empty syringes available this kit fills one with medical, so they can be stored for later use, even if I only 1 bar of health the kit just ends up in your inventory without filling any health right away (You have to manually press the heal key).

REV 09

so if i unlock the game with VPN will i have to keep steam in Offline mode until the 4th? Does that mean i won't be able to play normal steam games with my friends or access steam's friends list, etc. until the official release date? Not sure if it's worth unlocking if that is the case.

Yes, however under DX11 you need to add the DX11 .exe in Nvidia Inspector, nvidia forgot to do that. Also, use the 0x0C1902F5 bit instead under DX1x because the default has performance drop issues.

Sethos, I'm unsure as to where I should put the tweaks in and what not. I'd also like to downsample in DX9 mode.

I'd essentially like to max everything in DX9 and downsample if at all possible.

Specs:
i7-920@4.2GHZ
6 gb ram
Gtx 680
Love

Think you can point me to where I need to go?

iNvid02

690 @ 1080p is managing 60fps comfortably in DX11 with:

medium postfx + medium shadows + everything else maxed/on
hdao + 2x msaa

0 stutter as well, added maxfps=60 to xml file.
max frames buffered is 1, vsync is 2

also, this game looks gorgeous at times.

Sethos

Banned
Sethos, I'm unsure as to where I should put the tweaks in and what not. I'd also like to downsample in DX9 mode.

I'd essentially like to max everything in DX9 and downsample if at all possible.

Specs:
i7-920@4.2GHZ
6 gb ram
Gtx 680
Love

Think you can point me to where I need to go?

By tweaks, do you mean the Nvidia Inspector things or stuff like KyleN posted?

Also, downsampling is a different matter. I downsample by just resizing my pictures but a real downsample would require you to run at a higher resolution than your monitor supports which is another ballgame: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=346325

And as long as you stick Shadows to "High" max and PostFX to "Medium" max, you can easily crank everything else up under DX9 and hit 60FPS with headroom, also add some SMAA through injectors.

Zafir

How are people getting SweetFX to work? The game just crashes with it in the folder when I try it, even in Dx9 mode.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
20 fps with medium settings with 1 6950? I'll see you all in about 4-6 months with my Haswell/2013 video card.

Xyber

The hell is up with my performance today. Yesterday I played some multiplayer, co-op and singelplayer. Everything worked fine and I had 60fps most of the time with all settings on high in DX9.

Today I am getting 40fps on average and a whopping 12fps when I look up in to the sky or on a beach looking out over the ocean. It just doesn't make any sense at all.

Specs are:
6950 2GB
i5 2500k @4,6GHz
8GB ram
Win 8 64 bit

I tried disabling steam overlay and running the game in safe mode through uplay and it did nothing.

Sethos

Banned
How are people getting SweetFX to work? The game just crashes with it in the folder when I try it, even in Dx9 mode.

I didn't do anything special, just dropped all the files into the bin folder and it worked.

Sure you don't have something in the background interfering, Afterburner, Precision X, an overlay app etc. ?

Some levels make me wish for a Uncharted/Mirrors Edge FPS hybrid. You'll know what I'm talking about when you get there. Some amazing fucking scenery in this game.

Citra is so hot.

Zafir

I didn't do anything special, just dropped all the files into the bin folder and it worked.

Sure you don't have something in the background interfering, Afterburner, Precision X, an overlay app etc. ?

Nothing apart from the Ubisoft overlay, which I did try and disable but it still crashed.

SRTtoZ

Are the first 10 mins of the game indicative of how the game will run everywhere else (during daylight etc?)

So what should I use, SMAA injector or SweetFX? Does SweetFX also implement SMAA, it changes colours or something right?

Megasoum

Banned
The hell is up with my performance today. Yesterday I played some multiplayer, co-op and singelplayer. Everything worked fine and I had 60fps most of the time with all settings on high in DX9.

Today I am getting 40fps on average and a whopping 12fps when I look up in to the sky or on a beach looking out over the ocean. It just doesn't make any sense at all.

Specs are:
6950 2GB
i5 2500k @4,6GHz
8GB ram
Win 8 64 bit

I tried disabling steam overlay and running the game in safe mode through uplay and it did nothing.

I'm having the same kind of issues. Some days it will run at 60-70fps and the other day I will barely break 40fps when looking at the floor in a corner.

This is pissing me off, I can't find what is causing that. Sometime rebooting gives me back my performances but not always. I'm tired of rebooting lol...

I have a similat setup to you but with a 570.

Nothing apart from the Ubisoft overlay, which I did try and disable but it still crashed.

Have you tried launching Far Cry 3 in safe mode? It doesn't mess with any of your settings, it just completely disables the uPlay integration. I had the same problem as you did until I ran the game in safe mode.

To get safe mode just click the arrow next to the Play button and select launch in safe mode.

the game looks great even on my system.

1680 1050
no msaa
everything on medium

amd athlon II X3 3.1ghz
geforce gtx 460
4gb ram
win 7 64bit
dx11

Nekrono

I don't get this, I'm trying to use SMAA and even though I'm not getting any crashes whatsoever Im unable to see any difference! Even though it is working because not only does it break the vsync from D3DO (which always happens when I use it) but also I launched it through Steam just to see the overlay and the fonts and everything have been affected by it.

In game though I see no difference, what could be happening?

I tried SweetFX and even though I get the color changes and sharpness there is no impact on aliasing.

I don't get this. The game without any kind of AA looks somewhat bad and with 2x MSAA I'm not getting 60 FPS locked.

By the way I'm running in DX9 and I've disabled FXAA in the config.

EDIT: Ok after further testing I've found out that SMAA is indeed working for me, it's just that the aliasing on this game is so bad that even with SMAA on Ultra it's still noticeable. I wish I could downsample this game from 1400p but my 7970 is not up for the task if I want 60 FPS locked, not even with DX9, shame.

Zafir

Have you tried launching Far Cry 3 in safe mode? It doesn't mess with any of your settings, it just completely disables the uPlay integration. I had the same problem as you did until I ran the game in safe mode.

To get safe mode just click the arrow next to the Play button and select launch in safe mode.
Yeah I tried that as well, and it still just crashed straight out with SweetFX. :/

Anyone find a fix for the stupid black aura in DX9 mode?
Turn off (or change) the SSAO settings in the config.

Alright looks like I've settled on my optimal settings for now. 2560x1440 downscaled, DX9 with SweetFX for some AA, and SSAO set to 4 in the config. The image is so much better with the SMAA applied. Thanks for the recommendations from various people.

Nekrono

I did more tests and apparently the in-game FXAA found in the config is actually SMAA on Ultra, no wonder I was not noticing any difference when I was applying SMAA without disabling FXAA in the config. I thought SMAA was not being applied but that wasn't the case.

With FXAA disabled and no other AA method or injector the game has some serious jaggies (check the roof on the car):

FXAA OFF in config without any other AA method:

FXAA ON in config without any other AA method:

FXAA OFF in config + SMAA injector on Ultra:

As you can tell with FXAA off you can clearly see the game is running without any kind of AA as the jaggies are very noticeable, but when you turn on the in-game FXAA without any other AA and compare it with the screenshot with SMAA on Ultra with FXAA off you can clearly see there is no difference whatsoever.

Also, injecting SMAA on Ultra was taking about 3-5 FPS compared with just FXAA and it's something to keep in mind if you have low FPS or simply can't achieve 60 FPS locked constanly.

SweetFX however still is able to change all of it's settings like sharpness, saturation, etc, except SMAA since it's the same thing.

The performance I'm getting in this game is pretty strange. I'm running on an AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.80GHz, a GTX 580, and 8 GB of memory. On ultra and very high I get about 30 frames per second. Right now I'm on high settings and I hover around 40 fps most of the time. With the vegetation AA setting (can't remember what it's actually called) I actually get higher framerates the more I turn it up. With it off, I found I got around 30 frames per second, just like ultra and very high. AO doesn't seem to affect my framerate much no matter what I use. Also, can someone explain the use of the frame buffer setting and why vsync has 1 or 2 frame options? I've been using DX11, by the way. I'm considering switching to 9.

Someone should update the OP with relevant information like

-Where the config file is located
-How to take HUDless screenshots
-Differences between DX9 and DX11
etc

Nekrono

Can someone try this real quick please... go into your config (GamerProfile) and change UseD3D11="1" to UseD3D11="0" then start a new game and tell me what happens when the intro video starts playing.

Ledsen

Looks like everyone finally listened to me! DX9 is the best option for this game! ;)

Yep i came around as well, ssao 4 is good enough. HDAO looks quite a bit better but the fps hit is not worth it :)

I did more tests and apparently the in-game FXAA found in the config is actually SMAA on Ultra, no wonder I was not noticing any difference when I was applying SMAA without disabling FXAA in the config. I thought SMAA was not being applied but that wasn't the case.

With FXAA disabled and no other AA method or injector the game has some serious jaggies (check the roof on the car):

FXAA OFF in config without any other AA method:

FXAA ON in config without any other AA method:

FXAA OFF in config + SMAA injector on Ultra:

As you can tell with FXAA off you can clearly see the game is running without any kind of AA as the jaggies are very noticeable, but when you turn on the in-game FXAA without any other AA and compare it with the screenshot with SMAA on Ultra with FXAA off you can clearly see there is no difference whatsoever.

Also, injecting SMAA on Ultra was taking about 3-5 FPS compared with just FXAA and it's something to keep in mind if you have low FPS or simply can't achieve 60 FPS locked constanly.

SweetFX however still is able to change all of it's settings like sharpness, saturation, etc, except SMAA since it's the same thing.

How do you enable FXAA in the config? Set it to "1"? Is it only 0 or 1, on or off?

Nekrono

Yep i came around as well, ssao 4 is good enough. HDAO looks quite a bit better but the fps hit is not worth it :)

How do you enable FXAA in the config? Set it to "1"? Is it only 0 or 1, on or off?

As far as I know it's just 0 and 1 so put 1 in there to enable it.

Meh, I'll just stick with what I've got now. I'm not seeing too much of a huge difference between DX9 and DX11, so I'm going DX9 with FXAA, multisample, and all visual options maxed except for PostFX. 1920x1080 @ 60FPS locked.

Enjoying the game - it looks great, but some parts have washed out/low res textures.

But it would be two really simple things to implement.....
I agree, I'd like prone. Especially when sniping, even if it did nothing mechanically, I feel I should be laying down or bare minimum propped on something to properly snipe. Not game breaking in the slightest just a nag I'd like to have had as a choice.
Most people don't care. It's why they made the game take your hand in an iron grip, drag you along and never let go.

You act as if it's torturous. Granted and I don't even know if this is worded properly, but it's a guided choice experience?! You get to make most decisions on how to tackle a situation, but they are going to remind every 15mins that you can run with this button click, or you can reload, etc. it's intrusive and annoying but the core game mechanics are still fun.

This is a game that is mechanically sound, and will benefit greatly when more apt people than myself learn how to disable certain prompts and HUD items.

Top Bottom