• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 PC performance thread

Elsolar

What's that?

Not entirely sure. I think it has to do with internally rendering different parts of the scene at lower resolution based on how far away they are. Basically what it does is increase performance dramatically, but ruin the image quality. So if you care about anti-aliasing at all, you have to make sure it's disabled.

As far as I know it's just 0 and 1 so put 1 in there to enable it.

FXAALevel=0 is off, 1 is regular quality, 2 is high quality. If you're using it in the first place, no reason to not set it to 2, since FXAA isn't particularly demanding to begin with.

vio

For people with older graphic cards.
I have 250gts 1gb. Game is perfectly playable at ultra settings in directx9 mode and 720p.

SRTtoZ

Plays pretty good for me. Some of the textures need work (high res pack plz) but overall looks good and sometimes even stunning.

dx11, MSAA 2x, HDAO, settings high/ultra, 1080p, vsync (1 frame) and I average about 45-50 fps, the ONLY time I feel a hit is when I am up in a tower and checking out the entire landscape.

Alienware M17x R4
7970m 2gb
8gb ram
i7 3610qm

Ledsen

I agree, I'd like prone. Especially when sniping, even if it did nothing mechanically, I feel I should be laying down or bare minimum propped on something to properly snipe. Not game breaking in the slightest just a nag I'd like to have had as a choice.

You act as if it's torturous. Granted and I don't even know if this is worded properly, but it's a guided choice experience?! You get to make most decisions on how to tackle a situation, but they are going to remind every 15mins that you can run with this button click, or you can reload, etc. it's intrusive and annoying but the core game mechanics are still fun.

This is a game that is mechanically sound, and will benefit greatly when more apt people than myself learn how to disable certain prompts and HUD items.

Guided choice is a good way to put it. You can do pretty much anything you want from the get-go, but they don't let you discover it for yourself. Torturous is too strong a word I think. Annoying?

Not entirely sure. I think it has to do with internally rendering different parts of the scene at lower resolution based on how far away they are. Basically what it does is increase performance dramatically, but ruin the image quality. So if you care about anti-aliasing at all, you have to make sure it's disabled.

FXAALevel=0 is off, 1 is regular quality, 2 is high quality. If you're using it in the first place, no reason to not set it to 2, since FXAA isn't particularly demanding to begin with.

Really? I'll make sure to try it out.

Arucardo

Not sure what some of you are on about, HDAO works just fine in DX9. Haven't touched any configs and the AO looks just the same in 9 as it does in 11. Averaging 80-100 fps now with my settings.

Ledsen

DepthDownsample=0 dropped my fps by like 10, lol :)

Not sure what some of you are on about, HDAO works just fine in DX9. Haven't touched any configs and the AO looks just the same in 9 as it does in 11. Averaging 80-100 fps now with my settings.

They don't look the same at all, no. Have you compared screenshots? Shadows are way more subtle in DX11 HDAO than any setting you can do in DX9. It's true that it's hard to notice while playing, but the difference is certainly there.

Why is there no prone in this game?

It has stealth.....

Why can't I holster my gun?

Always asking myself this. Also, why do people REFUSE to put in lean buttons? How fucking useful it would be...

Just got to the second island which has some amazing vistas. And finally got SweetFX to work somehow. It may have been because Afterburner was running?

screenshot01015mrm3.png

screenshot0208eaoqa.png

screenshot0225npoq5.png

screenshot01150rqmg.png

screenshot01234wpi9.png

screenshot0134j3qtz.png

Tankshell

Always asking myself this. Also, why do people REFUSE to put in lean buttons? How fucking useful it would be...

Just got to the second island which has some amazing vistas. And finally got SweetFX to work somehow. It may have been because Afterburner was running?

Is it possible to swim/ride on jetski to the 2nd island before the story progress naturally takes you there? Or is it a totally separate loaded environment?

You can kind of lean, if you walk up to a corner and press yourself against the wall your guy will hold his gun up. Then just hit right mouse and you'll automatically lean and aim around the corner.

nOoblet16

I still cannot get this game to work, tried reinstalling but it simply freezes during the very first loading that occurs as soon as you start the game.

Lettuce

So its best to run the game in DX9 with just FXAA and SMAA off?

Can this be achieve in game or do you need to use SweetFX?

kitanii

Banned
AMD. Great cards. Worthless drivers? Getting really annoying that so many titles have a serious issue with v-sync and stuttering. Getting the same type of stuttering as in The Witcher 2, but in smaller doses. Doesn't matter what I set the gpu buffering to. Best results are with that set to 1.

Using 12.11 beta8. Although I have much better performance using dx11 than dx9.
Worth mentioning may be that I have to alt-tab out and back in for the performance to be optimal. Guessing this is related to the whole v-sync/amd/screen frequency thing?

Damian.

Banned
woah lol, if this is next gen i want to bail out now
KuGsj.gif

it looks nice, and roaming around through trees viewing the island at a smooth 60 feels incredible but next gen has to bring more to the table.

i've also seen some horribly lowres textures on the side of islands, horrilby low

I get that too, that hopefully is a bug. This game would have been a good candidate for TXAA as no-MSAA is apparent in this game moreso than others.

I will try FXAA. Anyone know if forcing anisotropic filtering works?

AMD. Great cards. Worthless drivers?

Generally speaking AMD seems to have atrocious driver support. But from I've read they do put them out there, just at the cost of time. That seems to be why their cards are generally have a cheaper entry fee.

I was under the impression though that since this is an "better with AMD" game that it ran pretty well though.

Ledsen

So at least in DX9, I can't tell the difference between FXAA=0 and FXAA=2 in the xml. I tried forcing it through Inspector, and couldn't tell any difference with that either, except it made me drop about 5 fps. What I'm looking to remove is the shimmering on diagonal edges and in foliage after you've moved. For example, fast travel to the first village. Step outside, and just strafe left and right. You'll notice shimmering on the house with the shop, and in the foliage all around. I just can't get rid of it.

I have a Lenovo y580 with a gtx660 and a i7 CPU.

How would this game run on this?

Ps3 level or better? If it's ps3 level then I'll just get it for that.

Ledsen

I think I figured out how to make SMAA injector work

If you're having trouble, try this:

put the .dll and .ini file in the Far Cry 3/bin directory, and the other two files in the Far Cry 3 directory. This did not crash my game on startup, and it seems to have disabled D3DOverrider, which I've read is what's supposed to happen. Yay! Still at a locked 60, and using the in-game Vsync instead.

Arucardo

They don't look the same at all, no. Have you compared screenshots? Shadows are way more subtle in DX11 HDAO than any setting you can do in DX9. It's true that it's hard to notice while playing, but the difference is certainly there.

Uh, that's completely unrelated to AO. The AO effects themselves are actually more subtle in dx9 than 11, I'm guessing you're talking about shadows in general and as I said, that's got nothing to do with ambient occlusion.

Here's a comparison of HDAO

DX9:http://www.abload.de/img/farcry3_2012_12_01_16w9ppl.png
DX11:http://www.abload.de/img/farcry3_d3d11_2012_12fkq4h.png

EDIT: Also, that scene with dx 11, 60fps. Dx 9, 83fps. I don't find "subtle" shadows worth a 20fps hit :p

Ledsen

Uh, that's completely unrelated to AO. The AO effects themselves are actually more subtle in dx9 than 11, I'm guessing you're talking about shadows in general and as I said, that's got nothing to do with ambient occlusion.

Here's a comparison of HDAO

DX9:http://www.abload.de/img/farcry3_2012_12_01_16w9ppl.png
DX11:http://www.abload.de/img/farcry3_d3d11_2012_12fkq4h.png

EDIT: Also, that scene with dx 11, 60fps. Dx 9, 83fps. I don't find "subtle" shadows worth a 20fps hit :p

I'm not talking about general shadows, I'm talking about the shadows created by AO. Most noticeable inside, around furniture. They are way more pronounced and unrealistic in DX9. I never said they were worth the hit, I'm using DX9 myself.

iNvid02

The fuck! I just noticed that the sun is gone when you take hudless screenshots.

Example:

Sometimes the backround mountains disappear too.

i took some nice shots of deer with a bear in the background, but the mountains in the back turned into some outliney mess so i had to discard em.

the sun as well, the fuck

Teletraan1

Banned
Running with all options as high as they go except for no MSAA, Post FX on medium, DX11, HDAO with in game VSYNC @1080p. Just used the options in game with no outside programs. I have never dropped below 60FPS and GPU utilization has never gotten higher than 90%. Looks pretty decent. Just wish I could get some MSAA with those settings without it taking a shit.

Will probably fool around with DX9 mode later and test some of that out to see if I can get the same image quality + AA based on replies in this thread.

i5 3570k @ 4.0Ghz
GTX 670
8GB of RAM
310.64 beta drivers

I did a graphic options comparison video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwLyNm6YZ1A Edit: 4 options compared

This has been a tough nut to crack. A good first game for my 660ti. But I'm now running 60fps with only Geometry and Shadows on Very High instead of Ultra. 1680x1050, i7 920 at stock speeds. DX9 btw. Edit: And HDAO and Alpha to Coverage of course. FXAA.

Speaking of shadows and why I decided to do the video above... Huh, what a bad implementation. Ultra shadows have atrocious LOD. How is this even possible? They're supposed to be ultra! And does Ambient Light even change anything? It doesn't change the performance, or the visuals... Despite all these small setbacks, it's still a great looking game.

I'll try and do a SSAO/HDAO comparison later today.

Sethos

Banned
Yeah, went looking for a trainer the other day for another game and fuck almighty you need to pay everyone for this shit these days. Fuck 'em.

noomi

oh man, alpha to coverage is dx11 only?

Can it be enabled in config with directx9 similar to how AO is enabled?

scitek

Someone else mentioned it earlier, but the crosshair's not showing up in the scope of my second sniper rifle. It's unusable.

Levyne

Banned
I was asking questions about this in the DF thread but I feel this one is more relevant. Some sweetfx questions.

(I'm sorry if that's still off topic, the AA talk about FC3 got me thinking on it)

Anyways

For the SweetFX injector, is it okay to put all the files into a new folder and put that folder into the same area as the executable? Or do I kinda need to just copy and paste it as-is so that the .ini, .txt files (etc) are in the exact same directory as the .exe?

Also, do I need to disable any in-game AA for it to work?

What about aa options in NVidia control panel? Just in case, I set AA-Mode to "app-controlled". There is still a setting "AA-Transparency" set to 2x, but I don't know if that does anything with the above setting set to application-controlled.

Sethos

Banned
I was asking questions about this in the DF thread but I feel this one is more relevant. Some sweetfx questions.

(I'm sorry if that's still off topic, the AA talk about FC3 got me thinking on it)

Anyways

For the SweetFX injector, is it okay to put all the files into a new folder and put that folder into the same area as the executable? Or do I kinda need to just copy and paste it as-is so that the .ini, .txt files (etc) are in the exact same directory as the .exe?

Also, do I need to disable any in-game AA for it to work?

What about aa options in NVidia control panel? Just in case, I set AA-Mode to "app-controlled". There is still a setting "AA-Transparency" set to 2x, but I don't know if that does anything with the above setting set to application-controlled.

Hey,

1) No, the files need to be placed alongside the .exe as they are injected into it, so no separate folders. So all the files need to be dropped into the "Bin" folder. Remember to disable various third party programs that also inject into the games, Afterburner, some recording apps, D3D etc. they can crash the game.

2) Yes, you need to disable FXAA for the best result, see http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=44913691&postcount=655 - FXAALevel="0" is the important bit.

3) Nothing will work, you need compatibility / AA flags for the various options to have an effect and there's no flags available at present.

Also, you need to be running DX9 for it to work.

Top Bottom