• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 PC performance thread

Mr. Hyde

I am going to try this at 720p with my 8800 gts g92 and see how it goes. I ran sleeping dogs on high at that res. if I can run it like it would on ps3, I will be happy.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Lol, looks like I'll be formatting my pc after I'm done with this...

captureu0swf.png

x3sphere

so how will my rig do?
i5 2500K @ 4.5Ghz
GTX 580 SLI
2560x1600

Playable with no AA if you want everything else maxed. Been playing for like 5 hours now and I saw drops into the 20s on my 7970 at that res D: In most parts it will run around 35-40...

I prefer the look of DX11 tbh, even if it isn't a huge difference. Going to just play this on my TV, 1080p I get good performance 45-50 fps with some occasional drops into the 30s which may be my CPU (i7 920 3ghz)

Sethos

Banned
try this?

Yeah, already noticed it was missing in inspector. Currently waiting for the shitty intro movie to play again because it didn't save my game.

EDIT: Nope, does nothing here. Second card still doing nothing and FPS is the same.

EDIT2: Found some new DX11 SLI bits, testing.

Corky

Crashed 10 min in, have to rewatch/endure the unskippable intro again. Max payne 3 all over again. Why do I even put up with this?

Sethos

Banned
Oh jeez, all the medicine and shit really have gotten to me. I forgot about SLI disabling itself whenever you update drivers :p Testing again.

Smokey

Oh jeez, all the medicine and shit really have gotten to me. I forgot about SLI disabling itself whenever you update drivers :p Testing again.

I hope this was the issue especially since the newest beta drivers looked to make a pretty big difference in performance

Sethos

Banned
Okay, the cage sequence with DirectX 11, 2xMSAA and HBAO was around 30-35FPS with SLI disabled, 50-60 with SLI enabled and my GPUs are working like pigs - Refuse to run a game with GPUs this hot and overworked.

I try activating DirectX 9, restarting the game and it still runs the DX11 .exe, GPUs are still working like pigs, FPS is still the same but the options menu says DirectX 9.

48 Minutes "Played" according to Steam and haven't actually played anything :p

I already hate this game.

Kade

Can someone tell me if I'm fucked? I really want to play this game but might cancel my pre-order depending on if I can get it to look like Far Cry 2 maxed out and run well or not.

AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4GHz
8GB of RAM
and an ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB or ATI Radeon HD4870 512MB that I have laying around
My monitor can only output up to 1440x900

Help.

Okay, the cage sequence with DirectX 11, 2xMSAA and HBAO was around 30-35FPS with SLI disabled, 50-60 with SLI enabled and my GPUs are working like pigs - Refuse to run a game with GPUs this hot and overworked.

I try activating DirectX 9, restarting the game and it still runs the DX11 .exe, GPUs are still working like pigs, FPS is still the same but the options menu says DirectX 9.

Darn it

Sethos

Banned

I'm sure it's a local problem because it's using the DX11 .exe and it appears to be running DX11 still, so it's just an issue on my end.

EDIT: Restarted Steam and all that, now it's running DX9 ... And the GPUs are working marginally less and FPS still isn't a rock steady 60FPS.

What a fucking performance atrocity this thing is. I refuse to play on some medium bullshit settings on a system like mine. Reason #308 why Ubisoft suck ass, their PC ports are shit.

I want my money back.

x3sphere

Performance issues with DX11 and the bad HUD aside I am really enjoying this game. Way better than FC2, possibly the best open-world FPS I've played.

Can someone tell me if I lose any effects or image-quality if I switch to DX9 with my settings like this? I know about SSAO but anything else?

12447832.jpg

Performance issues with DX11 and the bad HUD aside I am really enjoying this game. Way better than FC2, possibly the best open-world FPS I've played.

Yea, up there for me. DX9 running nicely for now. Really would love some Inspector bits/SweetFX knowledge. The aliasing hurts sometimes.

Hunting is fucking fun. I made sure I got the bow first thing - now I just need more arrows for that sum'bitch

Tankshell

Is anyone else getting PC lock ups/freezes yet? Using the new Nvidia beta driver? Gtx580.

Haven't had my machine freeze twice in a game in like... forever.

sk3tch

Huh? Big deal. GPUs are supposed to be working. If you get near 100% utilization - all good. If temps are bad when you're pegged at 100% utilization then you should check your OC, fan profile, or case cooling.

Sethos

Banned
Huh? Big deal. GPUs are supposed to be working. If you get near 100% utilization - all good. If temps are bad when you're pegged at 100% utilization then you should check your OC, fan profile, or case cooling.

Yeah, mind your own PC :)

Didn't realise this was an Ati 'supported' title until today. Will be interesting to see how performance differs across cards competing like with like, once drivers and patches are out of the way in a few months time.

Demon Ice

Banned
http://i.picpar.com/256e4c37c77afc118cd45e2e0b94c0aca0309040.jpg

^ this is what I'm seeing with the HUD. Just terrible.

That is some crazy heavy AO over the grass.

I thought the sign of proper SLI implementation was that both GPUs work at high loads? Shouldn't they be maxed or near maxed in DX9 too? You'll get a higher FPS but the GPUs will still be pushing as hard as they can... Short of underclocking your cards I don't see how you can simply reduce how hard your GPUs work in a specific game.

NBtoaster

That's what I was getting on my 580. Should be fine. Got decent case cooling?

I don't know if it's good enough, and it's probably very dusty in there, I've never opened the PC since setting it up over a year ago..I'll turn some settings down to be safe.

Sethos

Banned
Ha, sorry. That did sound dick-ish. My bad!

I'm just grumpy because I can't play until next week. :) Drivers updated, though!

Nah, I should apologize - That wasn't called for. Just a bit grumpy. However I'm just getting slightly annoyed when I have to do this kind of tweaking in a game that looks so underwhelming. I'm getting so sick of these piss poor ports where "DirectX 11" means so retrofitted bullshit with just heaps of AO and poor AA options.

As for the GPUs working, I just don't like my hardware whizzing away for 4-5 or 6 hours at 70* and fans going into vacuum mode. I simply don't enjoy games like that. I just want them to work at a moderate temp with as little noise as possible. This is like the third game where my GPUs are working like this without being downsampled, full of AA or something else.

I can however report that Alpha Coverage and PostFX eats FPS.

I thought the sign of proper SLI implementation was that both GPUs work at high loads? Shouldn't they be maxed or near maxed in DX9 too? You'll get a higher FPS but the GPUs will still be pushing as hard as they can... Short of underclocking your cards I don't see how you can simply reduce how hard your GPUs work in a specific game.

No.

Scaling percentage is the sign of proper implementation. Overworked GPUs can either mean good utilization or piss poor implemtation of graphical features which overwork the GPUs, in this game it's the latter. Game is very underwhelming in my opinion and it just seems like they crowbarred in some high-end PC visual effects that supertax the GPUs without actually adding much. That is in my book, poor implemention.

--

I have one way to judge how good a game's performance it, looks to performance ratio. Looks like shit and runs perfect? Fine. Looks great and runs perfect? Awesome. Looks epic and runs sluggish? Okay sure. Looks meh and runs like shit? Port.

sk3tch

As for the GPUs working, I just don't like my hardware whizzing away for 4-5 or 6 hours at 70* and fans going into vacuum mode. I simply don't enjoy games like that. I just want them to work at a moderate temp with as little noise as possible. This is like the third game where my GPUs are working like this without being downsampled, full of AA or something else.

Sounds like it's time to do 4-way or quad-SLI. :-D

Corky

Bizarrely enough dx11 is almost a must unless you want to play with the ssao that is borderline looking like a gpu-artifact with the way everything has a thick, black, shadowy aura around it. Can't believe you can't turn it off...

MSAA introduced quite the inputlag with a 360 pad.

I couldn't spot the difference between alpha coverage off/enhanced.

HDAO "removes" that aforementioned vomitinducing ssao.

2560x1440, everything ultra preset, hdao, no msaa, no alpha coverage, 30 fps capped and 80-90% gpu usage.

2600k@4.7
670@1300mhz, latest beta drivers.

I did the VPN thing. My i5-760 OCed to 3.35 Ghz at 1440x900 with a GTX680, everything maxed with 2xMSAA runs beautifully. I only played through First Blood and I'm not counting frames, but the image quality is fantastic. I knew there was a reason for that impulse 680 purchase last August.

theytookourjobz

Sorry in advance if this is the wrong thread. I just redeemed a key on the Ubishop and wanted to know what the deal is with downloading on Tuesday, or if preloading is possible.

Ty4on

I don't know if it's good enough, and it's probably very dusty in there, I've never opened the PC since setting it up over a year ago..I'll turn some settings down to be safe.

Unless you cap the frame rate that won't make a difference, it'll just render more frames.
88C should be fine, but if you clean the dust away it'll be cooler and more quiet. Then you could buy some dust filters so that you don't have to clean dust from the inside of a computer again :p

I'm sure it's a local problem because it's using the DX11 .exe and it appears to be running DX11 still, so it's just an issue on my end.

EDIT: Restarted Steam and all that, now it's running DX9 ... And the GPUs are working marginally less and FPS still isn't a rock steady 60FPS.

What a fucking performance atrocity this thing is. I refuse to play on some medium bullshit settings on a system like mine. Reason #308 why Ubisoft suck ass, their PC ports are shit.

I want my money back.

game wasn't on my radar anyway. is there a assasin's Creed 3 PC performance thread?

Corky

Which is why cutscenes should be skippable. Far Cry 2 on PC has quicksaving for the same reason.

Who needs logic when it's more cool to be snarky and post a whitty oneliner?

Alpha Coverage Enhanced :

ongpr8v.png

Alpha Coverage OFF :

offxkq32.png

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
The game runs pretty well for me. Looks like between 40-50 fps.

System:
Win7 64
660ti w/ latest Assassin's Creed beta drivers
12 GB ram

However, there is microstutter everywhere. And it's driving me absolutely crazy.

I tried every combination of GPU buffers and vsync in the options, nothing can get rid of it. I ran DXTORY in the background to limit my graphics card to 60fps, no dice there either (thats how I got rid of microstutter in Skyrim and the Fallouts).

Any ideas on how to fix this?

If you don't know what I'm talking around, circle strafe around a skinny tree. Notice how the tree "skips" around as you do it? Or, look directly at the ground and walk forward. See how the ground "hitches" every 1/4 to half second?

Corky

However, there is microstutter everywhere. And it's driving me absolutely crazy.

Yeah I forgot to mention that, I noticed that as well. I put max buff frames to 0 but I don't know if it's just placebo or if the stuttering is actually gone.

dmr87

48 Minutes "Played" according to Steam and haven't actually played anything :p

You on 680s?

Corky

Really surprised about the performance. My rig is 4 years old (except the 670) and I get 50-60fps on max without AA (using SMAA instead).

Great ports this year.

dx11 ? HBAO? alpha coverage? Resolution?

Top Bottom