• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 PC performance thread

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
its depressing because its another dx11 title that runs terribly.

As long as dx9 is the norm, which it'll be until late 2013 or whenever nextgen hits, then focus and resources will be allocated accordingly especially when we're talking of console ports.

i7 3.4Ghz
GTX 670
8GB RAM

Played for about an hour. DX11, everything maxed, 2xMSAA - 1920x1200.

Getting 45-55 fps - generally hovers around the 50fps mark. Will post some screens in the screenshot thread. The AO shadow halo around characters and objects is a little distracting at the moment.

Gonna play on DX9 a bit, see if I prefer it that way.

edit: I'm using the latest beta drivers

Eideka

Banned
i7 3.4Ghz
GTX 670
8GB RAM

Played for about an hour. DX11, everything maxed, 2xMSAA - 1920x1200.

Getting 45-55 fps - generally hovers around the 50fps mark. Will post some screens in the screenshot thread. The AO shadow halo around characters and objects is a little distracting at the moment.

Gonna play on DX9 a bit, see if I prefer it that way.

edit: I'm using the latest beta drivers

I have the same card, 50fps maxed out + 2xMSAA is fine by me.
What is your processor ?

I hope its justified. I find out next week.
You are perfectly entitled to be disappointed by FC3's visuals but for my part I'm having a hard time not being impressed by how it looks.
Sure, Ubi could have done even more with the PC version (similar to what Crytek is doing) but frankly I'm not going to hold it against them.
It looks splendid, runs good (but requires a beefy PC to max it out) and has plenty of graphical settings.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
I'm still at work can anyone theorize, just for fun, how the game would run on:

I5 2500k processor
4gb Ram
2x Radeon HD 5850 in crossfire

You guys think I can get 60fps maxed out settings with no AA?

Manac0r

2560 x 1600
No MSAA
DX 11
Enhanced Alpha to Coverage
SSAO = HDAO (what is the best option here?)
Ultra settings
FOV 90
Steady 60 fps

i980x OC to 4.2Ghz
Tri 580's stock
12 GB Ram

You need to add the Far Cry 3 Dx 11.exe to the SLI profile for it to work.

Edit: Latest Beta drivers and SLI optimization is crazy. All three cards working at above 90%.

dmr87

Just moving around a bit in the start.

Ultra, DX11, MSAA 0, FoV 100, 2560x1440 = 30-35 fps
Ultra, DX9, MSAA 0, FoV 100, 2560x1440 = Around 45 fps

It's like 10-15 fps difference overall with DX11 vs DX9 for me. Need another 670!

16GB ram
2500k 4,5ghz
OC'd 670
310.64 beta driver

I'm gonna test more tomorrow.

All in all, a single top of the line card should be smooth sailing if you are going to max out on 1080p, not counting massive amounts of AA.

Manac0r

Turn off Alpha to coverage - was dipping to 40 fps in heavy foliage areas. Turned it off, hardly noticed the difference and no FPS drop.

AEREC

Any impressions on a 460 1gb?

Still can't decide to go with 360 or PC version. My PC is an i7 with 8gb ram...but I will be playing at 1368x720 on a tv.

Jubbly

From me, on page 1:

"Alpha To Coverage" is an odd way of saying transparency multisampling - aka, anti-aliasing for transparent alpha textures, like those used on plants and grass.

And "Max Buffered Frames" sounds very like "Maximum Pre-Rendered Frames", something Nvidia used to support in their drivers. Basically, a low value would give you minimum input lag, but if your system struggled and the game stuttered you needed to up it to 2 or 3. For really shitty systems the highest value would smooth things out, but add a ton of input lag.

Jonm1010

Banned
Just got my x51 with an i7 and gtx 660 1.5gb and hoping I can at least run the directx11 features with AA turned down or off.

Any estimates or firsthand experience would be awesome. Would hate to have just bought this thing and it already needs a significant upgrade to keep up with new and upcoming games.

Manac0r

I'm actually starting to think DX 11 is broken currently. First outpost and dipped to 30 fps (no vsync but using D3D) doesn't matter if I change settings from Ultra, to high, to medium still get massive FPS drops during action sections. DX 9 smooth 60 fps no matter what on Ultra.

I'm actually starting to think DX 11 is broken currently. First outpost and dipped to 30 fps (no vsync but using D3D) doesn't matter if I change settings from Ultra, to high, to medium still get massive FPS drops during action sections. DX 9 smooth 60 fps no matter what on Ultra.

I'm starting to think that as well. Is this Alpha To Coverage the only DX11 feature they used? Or is that what the patch is for (adds in the other options?)

Feature

Banned
GTX560 here and I7 2500k, game runs super sweet on the 1650x???? resolution. All on high & very high.

ps: don't be fooled by the opening sequence where there's mouse delay. It's just for the intro.

Game looks very hot. Love the colors.

Yea I dropped down to DX9 for now and the game runs flawlessly. Really great game; fixed most of the issues I had with FC2 and the setting is beautiful. Reminds me a bit of White Gold, lol. Hoping some Inspector bits come through, and SweetFX can be worked in.

Manac0r

Ok this make no sense but cranked up the MSAA to 8 and now running at 60 fps (Dx11) and I just cleared a heavy guarded outpost with no drops. But earlier killing a boar dropped my framerate to the 30's. Performance is sketchy but regardless the game is gorgeous even on low settings, as the colours and environment really pop. Day one patch tomorrow? Might improve things, also get flickers/ghosting on enemies but it it quickly disappears, could be an SLI issue. Ahh I'll wait for wiser Gaffers to sort this; back to the game.

Jtrizzy

The uncertainty of this game's performance has made buying this on day one an uncertainty I had hoped to avoid.

same here. I have 580/2600k@4.2 and I've been a little frustrated with the latest releases like AC3, Hitman, and Sleeping Dogs. I also haven't seen this game discounted anywhere, and I'm assuming it won't be up on GMG since its ubisoft.

Hmm the game runs decent here for me now apart from Uplay messing up at times :/

My specs:

Phenom II x4 955 @ 3.2ghz
MSI 6850 Cyclone Factory OC'ed 1GB
8GB 1333mhz RAM
Windows 7 64bit

Settings:

1920x1080
everything maxed out but shadows on medium
Ambient Occlusion set to SSAO
Alpha Coverage off
every kind of AA off
Direct X 11 on
FOV set to 80

I can't say how much FPS I have though since I have some sort of FPS OCD... that means aslong as I don't know my FPS in numbers I don't care about them but as soon as I see them I become like "Ahhh I need to get 60!" :p But purely from guessing I would say I get about 40-55 which I find absolutely playable and nice for such a mid-range card :)

Here is a (bad) screenshot: http://i.minus.com/ixe68FesNW45K.jpg

No shit it's not new, but I also don't see how it's really good either. Games like Crysis still run like ass on great systems even today. If you release a game that won't be able to touch 60fps (at 1080p for crying out loud) maxed out with two of the greatest cards in sli, then I don't really see how that is good at all.

Not getting 40 frames at just 1080p with a 7970 is a joke.

no it doesn't stop exxagerating.

SJRB

Gold Member
My machine was really, REALLY struggling with this game and it had me quite worried, but switching to DX9 fixed everything.

I'm still running custum video settings between medium and high, but at least it now runs like a charm. The draw distance quality is pretty poor but I'll gladly take that over choppy fps.

So if you're struggling with fps I can highly recommend DX9.

i5 330ghz
Geforce GT 530 2GB
6 GB RAM

Running an "optimal" setting with medium/high settings at 1920 x 1080, no AA.

Kade

Can someone tell me if I'm fucked? I really want to play this game but might cancel my pre-order depending on if I can get it to look like Far Cry 2 maxed out and run well or not.

AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4GHz
8GB of RAM
and an ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB or ATI Radeon HD4870 512MB that I have laying around
My monitor can only output up to 1440x900

iNvid02

so how will my rig do?
i5 2500K @ 4.5Ghz
GTX 580 SLI
2560x1600

its gonna be a slideshow, im sorry

probably get 60 on dx9

I sold my 690 and went back to 580 3GB SLI.

image.php

Smokey

You did what? How come

The 2GB VRAM kept bugging me for some reason at 2560x1600. It never really caused an impact, but it just bothered the hell out of me lol. Plus I have the MSI Lightning Xtreme variants of the 580s which were (are) amazing so I sold it while I could still get a decent amount for it. The drop in performance isn't that drastic. I do miss the quietness and power savings from the 690 though.

Sethos

Banned
The 2GB VRAM kept bugging me for some reason at 2560x1600. It never really caused an impact, but it just bothered the hell out of me lol. Plus I have the MSI Lightning Xtreme variants of the 580s which were (are) amazing so I sold it while I could still get a decent amount for it. The drop in performance isn't that drastic. I do miss the quietness and power savings from the 690 though.

Yeah, actually had a hunch it would be the VRAM. You just know it's a cruel mistress, waiting to pounce the day you are trying to push some high-res textures in that resolution :p Also the reason why I waited for my 4GBs 680s, I know I'd regret going 2GB. Has even helped me in a few games, namely STALKER mods with some high-res textures that just ate a TON of VRAM.

Shot in the dark, temp-issues.

Doubt that'd be an issue with the 690, they should run fairly cool - Especially compared to two 580s.

Smokey

....is that case still giving you problems temp wise? told you to go with the Lian-Li PCP80N. best full tower bar none.

The 500r? Eh it's doing alright. I could change somethings around to make the airflow better, but I'm lazy. It's getting the job done at the moment. Don't remember you mentioning that case, but I'm curious and will take a look.

Yeah, actually had a hunch it would be the VRAM. You just know it's a cruel mistress, waiting to pounce the day you are trying to push some high-res textures in that resolution :p Also the reason why I waited for my 4GBs 680s, I know I'd regret going 2GB. Has even helped me in a few games, namely STALKER mods with some high-res textures that just ate a TON of VRAM.

Doubt that'd be an issue with the 690, they should run fairly cool - Especially compared to two 580s.

Yeah the heat differential is immediately noticeable going back to the 580s as is the noise. I can deal though. I still get 60fps in every game except for Metro maxed. I try and watch your impressions closely as you have the most similar setup to mine. Your performance impressions of Need for Speed MW for example, saved me the disappointment of getting that right away. Same with ACIII and it's SLI problems. In my eyes you're quite valuable!

Sethos

Banned
I try and watch your impressions closely as you have the most similar setup to mine. Your impressions of Need for Speed MW for example, saved me from caving in on that with it's performance issues. Same with ACIII and it's SLI problems. In my eyes you're quite valuable!

D'awww <3

Well, since my new graphics card came with a free download of this game I'm hoping it will run it pretty well.

"Here's your new GPU and a code for the brand new upcoming game, Far Cry 3!" and then the GPU chokes and it runs like shit. Wouldn't that be kind of funny, just a little bit? Okay I'll shut up.

Top Bottom