• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 PC performance thread

Eideka

Banned
The benchmark in the op is wrong. This one was WITH (contrary to what is indicated) 4XMSAA.

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Far-Cry-3-PC-217540/Tests/Far-Cry-3-Test-Grafikkarten-CPU-Benchmarks-1036726/

Far-Cry-3-Test-GPUs-1080p.png

Make no mistake it's still a very demanding game.

Eideka

Banned
But is this benchmark with the patch and the new drivers?

The OP's benchmark is taken from the same website, but for some reason it's not displayed as it should. Tested with the latest beta drivers yes.

I linked the website, it's in german but the benchmark is crystal clear.

When I try to link the benchmark with 4XMSAA activated the image still displays a "no AA" in the title...But if you go on the page you will see that the difference is quite huge.

Trojan X

Banned
What the hell, why is it around 30fps on a 680?

My monitor is 2560x1440 and I have a 680, I guess this means I'll get sub 30fps?

Updated benchmarks. Depending on your CPU (mine is a i7 3930k @ 4.8ghz), I believe we'll get an average frame-rate of 25-28fps if we put everything at maximum and run at 1440p:
FC3-Test-CPUs.png

What 1440p monitor are you using? I'm still hunting for mine.

kinggroin

Banned
All hail the new PC destroyer.

Oh fuck that..

To earn destroyer status, it can't simply be bringing PCs to their knees due to poor optimization and bad drivers. It better look like 2012's Crysis equivalent, visually, to get KGSoA.

Yes. I realize Cry sis wasn't the MOST optimized game for its time..

Biggzy

Er, I made a boneheaded mistake regarding legacy concerns, and now I'm stuck with 32-bit W7 and its 3.12 GB cap.

Lol. I can remeber talking to my friend about his laptop and I went to see what version of 7 he had. It ended up being 32-bit, even though he had 4 GB of RAM.

Jubbly

I was about to cheer until I realized my resolution is a lot higher.

We don't know what version of the game they tested. The day 1 patch notes, linked to earlier, mention performance gains in both SP and MP, so maybe performance will be even better? Also, will you be using 8x MSAA? I imagine 4x MSAA will look pretty damn good and be nearly twice as fast.

Sethos

Banned
We don't know what version of the game they tested. The day 1 patch notes, linked to earlier, mention performance gains in both SP and MP, so maybe performance will be even better? Also, will you be using 8x MSAA? I imagine 4x MSAA will look pretty damn good and be nearly twice as fast.

I'll downsample from 3840x2400, apply some sparse grid goodness and then 8x MSAA plus some SMAA ...

Yeah I'll probably play at 2x or 4x. Pixel density at x1600 is high enough for some free AA.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Honestly, I kinda prefer the hard shadows to those soft ones. The game isn't photorealistic so I'm fine with the stylized (hard) shadows if it runs better.

Sethos

Banned
I need DX11, can't stand hard shadows and I also want that grass AO, tend to make a pretty nice visual difference when playing.

19FPS HEIR I COEM!

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
How big is the dx11 hit?

edit : for the people in this thread who know, how do you make sure uplay isn't running in the background when playing this game? I'm referring to the AC3 situation where "booting in safe mode" in uplay gave people performance gains. I'm not taking any chances with that shit, uplay is off from the getgo and how do I do it?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
How does this run on a dual core and GTX285 equivalent at ~720p? FC2 run fine, JC2 run fine, Crysis 2 was passable, ACII run fine, most games are fine (at reasonable settings) with the exception of things like ACIII, BF3, Witcher 2 etc. If this runs more like ACII than III I could enjoy it. Also is there annoyingly close up LOD for shadows, detail objects, etc, and how does that impact performance? I'd rather have them remain shit up close than switch 10ft ahead but for whatever reason that's never an option.

x3sphere

It might be safe to say that. If the code is optimised then we truly do have a new PC destroyer. Move over Crysis, which was a non-optimised game anyway.

Not based on what I've seen. Game looks good but not better than Crysis, so if anything it makes Crysis look optimized...

Crysis 3 will probably be the next PC destroyer.

DSmalls84

My specs are:

Alienware X-51
i-5 2320 3.0 ghz
6 gb ram
GTX 555 1 gb vram

On Hitman Absolution I'm getting 60 fps at medium 1080p settings. Would that be possible with Far Cry? I don't really want to spring for a new video card.

Not based on what I've seen. Game looks good but not better than Crysis, so if anything it makes Crysis look optimized...

Crysis 3 will probably be the next PC destroyer.

Well if my rig could run CrySis just fine on max settings, this should run as well then if it doesn't look better but it won't according to those benchmarks :(

edit: Rig is: i-5 750, 8Gigs of DDR3 Ram and an ATI 5850 1GB

Trojan X

Banned
Well if my rig could run CrySis just fine on max settings, this should run as well then if it doesn't look better but it won't according to those benchmarks :(

edit: Rig is: i-5 750, 8Gigs of DDR3 Ram and an ATI 5850 1GB

What was/is your frame rate when you run Crysis on your rig?

Am sort of worried.
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz and GeForce GTX 550 Ti.

I run Battlefield 3 at 60fps on Ultra (with occasional dips to 45-50).
I guess I can thank my screen for screwing up, and staying at a lower resolution than it should be at.

What was/is your frame rate when you run Crysis on your rig?

Honestly it's been so long that i don't even remember, but what i do remember is that it ran very fluid on max res (1080X1920) back then, so it must have at LEAST been above 30 FPS or i would have noticed something...

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Around 10 fps. Not worth it IMO.

Hmm 10 fps isn't all that unless I'm going to be around 30 to begin with. Was expecting something in line with Arkham City's -100 fps hit dx11 mode :p

iNvid02

this is crazy, both ubi and nvidia have to do something so you dont need the top gpu to get 60fps.

*hugs 690*

Trojan X

Banned
Honestly it's been so long that i don't even remember, but what i do remember is that it ran very fluid on max res (1080X1920) back then, so it must have at LEAST been above 30 FPS or i would have noticed something...

Hmm... I think it's safe to say that if it hit sub-60fps then your system is solid. If it hits sub 24-27fps then your system is struggling, meaning it's not running the game blissfully (60fps+). If you get some free time, try to see if you can find out the frame rate on your system, but please don't feel compelled to find out for it's not important. After all, only your enjoyment matters.

Top Bottom