• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 4: Blood Dragon "likely" in some form (not necessarily straight sequel)

Salsa

tumblr_mmda3sD7oK1qjfaqjo1_500.gif

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/06/17/far-cry-4-blood-dragon/#more-213023

“I know in terms of brand, we haven’t closed the doors to more kind of weird experiments like Blood Dragon. And I know that Ubisoft Montreal has really been allowing people to play with passion projects. Like after Far Cry 3, Patrick Plourde and Jeffrey Yohalem got to work on Child of Light, which is a huge change. A labor of love.”

“So yeah, there are teams who get the time, space, and liberty to experiment with smaller ideas like that. It’s really cool to see that the studio allows people to try different ideas. Sometimes they don’t get off the ground, sometimes they go all the way to shipping like Dean [Evans] and Blood Dragon.”

So the path is clear for it to happen, but do people want to make it? It sure sounds that way. ”They had a ton of fun with it,” explained Thompson. “The team loved making it. Everyone was so hyped when they made that game, so I know there’s a lot of voices inside the studio that want to see [Far Cry 4: Blood Dragon] made.”

The biggest question of all, though, is what sort of game a potential Blood Dragon sequel would turn out to be? Would it even be Blood Dragon in the literal sense, slathered in ’80s pink, ’90s references, and pseudo-satires of modern gaming tropes? That, for the moment, seems off the table. A new goofy Far Cry from Dean Evans and co would, in all likelihood, go in an entirely different direction. Equally strange, one would hope, but different.

“I think given the people that I know on the team and on the brand [it seems unlikely that it'd just be a direct sequel to Blood Dragon]. We never do the easy thing, so I think a direct sequel to Blood Dragon with the same type of universe and characters… I mean, it didn’t happen with Far Cry 4, right? We moved to a completely different part of the world. We’ve had to rebuild, throw away stuff we had and build new things. Even characters. Some people were like, ‘Why are you even wasting time trying to find a new antagonist? Why not just use Vaas again?’ And we were like, ‘Eh, he was cool but we want to make Far Cry 4 different. It’s a different world, a different story. We want different characters to say different things about the world they’re in.’

But what if it is a second game in the original Blood Dragon’s world? What happens in the unlikely event that comes to pass? Well, there’s a plan for that too.

“Dean Evans jokes that if he made another Blood Dragon, it’d be called Blood Dragon 4,” chuckled Thompson. “He’d just skip 2 and 3 altogether.”

so basically: they want to do another small crazy thing like that again, but it's not likely to be a direct sequel to Blood Dragon, nor in development at the moment apparently.

Salsa

I kinda want a AAA version of the sequel. Another DLC based on Blood Dragon would be a tease.

yeah. It's not like he rules it out tho. He explicitely says that they doubt they'll go the straight sequel route so who knows what comes of this.

they could leave a real Blood Dragon 2 project to be separate

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Honestly wouldn't mind a Blood Dragon 2 over Far Cry 4. Far Cry 3 was pretty damn repetitive and I didn't care for most of the characters in it. :/

Ninja Scooter said:
Make it a parody of 60s spy films this time.

If I can't jump over a police car with a boat in a bayou with a blacksploitation character in the boat with me, it isn't worth doing.

RedAssedApe

Banned
hope they change up the gameplay. personally was not a fan of blood dragon the GAME (aesthetics and 80s references were funny tho)

Top Bottom