• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 4 |OT| Welcome to Kyrat

iNvid02

yeah i just put the bow away and take out the rifles whenever i hear those fucking badgers

the rare skin mission for the badger was hilarious though, ahh i love this game

yeah i just put the bow away and take out the rifles whenever i hear those fucking badgers

the rare skin mission for the badger was hilarious though, ahh i love this game

There's another pretty funny sidequest involving honeybadgers.

A crying villager tells AJ that his wife was eaten by honeybadgers. AJ laughs before realizing it's true, then apologizes and wipes out every honeybadger in the area to avenge the man's wife. I used my trusty LK-1018 to drop cluster missiles on the little bastards, no way I was getting anywhere near a swarm of them.

btkadams

Do you guys have any tips for a newcomer to the series? What should I focus on first? Should I ever buy guns or just wait to conquer outposts? How do I earn money and earn skill points?

Liamc723

So I've just done the mission where you attack a camp and get back your hostages, after the main camp was attacked. It tells me I've already completed 7 campaign missions of only 32. Is the campaign really that short? I've been playing for less than 2 hours.

Blitzhex

This game is so good. Completely blows fc3 outta the water.
I love dialogue (I speak the language), especially in the Shangri-la missions. The enemies' reactions are hilarious 10/10 VA.
Getting 65-90 fps on all ultra settings except shadows = so good. Haven't enjoyed godrays so much since Age of Conan.

iNvid02

Do you guys have any tips for a newcomer to the series? What should I focus on first? Should I ever buy guns or just wait to conquer outposts? How do I earn money and earn skill points?

radio towers to unfog the map
hunt animals to upgrade your gear
the L missions to get better weapons
take over outposts
play the campaign until "a key to the north" which unlocks the whole map

everything you do nets you XP really which in turns grants skill points, so just keep doing shit and spend em on whatever suits your playstyle most. maybe a good silenced weapon to take outposts quietly but otherwise theres guns all over the place)

money or things to sell can be found from searching dead bodies or in boxes around the map (diamond icon).

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

Might want to buy a gun or two at the start. Money is not that hard to come by. Buy the gun that suits your style. Bow and/or Sniper rifle if you like stealthy. And weapon upgrades are always worth it. I would focus on getting a few gear upgrades first. The weapon holster can be max upgraded very early on with animals in the area.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Love the game. Thought the Devil-Fish would be more frightening, or the rhinos would be harder to kill. Turns out, it's the honey badgers.. Damn those honey badgers!!!

Kei-

Loving the game so far, feel like such a badass chaining takedowns with throwing knives and using the enemies' grenades and guns on them. Just wish the whole campaign was co-op.

With that said, I just found out my friend I'm playing with has a set of missions from Hurk that grants him access to a harpoon gun. He told me he got it with a code from the game, but he didn't pre-order it, so I'm guessing they were just included in the first few shipments?

In any case, I got mine as a gift from another friend about 2 weeks ago. He was kind enough to give me his pick 1 of 4 games code from a second PS4 he got as a gift. Since it was a digital code, I didn't get any other codes with it. Was just wondering if there was any other way for me to get those Hurk missions and harpoon gun.

Thanks

Sorry for being a bit long-winded

TLDR: I got a digital version of Far Cry 4 as a gift 2 weeks ago, is there any way to get the Hurk missions at this point?

Looking for a co-op partner to clear the Changing Lanes trophy on the PS4. Will reciprocate for the co-op trophies in kind.

PSN name is Jeffolation.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I love how there's a 50/50 chance shooting the last Shangrila boss in the mouth won't do a fucking thing,

A+ Quality control as usual, ubisoft.

basefree

I just got this game on PS4 recently and haven't been able to connect to a coop game, not even once. I never have any problems with other games, what gives?

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I just got this game on PS4 recently and haven't been able to connect to a coop game, not even once. I never have any problems with other games, what gives?

I connected once yesterday, and it dropped out shortly after. I've seen people playing co-op for long periods of time in Twitch streams. Since they were with friends, I assume by invite rather than matchmaking, but, not sure.

Can you voice chat with random people through matchmaking, or do they have to be friends In a chat?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Think I found a glitch with my PC version. None of the Longinus quests are appearing. Also says I haven't done any of them in my progress log, but I remember doing one blood diamond quest already.

I am 30% complete with about 20 hours into the game. I am having a great time. I will find every mask and
hopefully kill the serial killer, The Goat

I have no problem taking outposts undetected using the compound bow and silenced signature smg (and or the silenced pistol from UPlay). I finally unlocked the M700 sniper with silencer, scope, and extended clip but have little luck hitting anything. I have a problem zooming in with it (as it is not zooming in). I must be doing something wrong but I am clicking R3 to little affect.

Cheers

system11

I finally got to try this out today with a free demo key a friend sent me (PS4). Cars made me sick, and the action is too fast paced for 30fps, what an eye sore :/ Already deleted. Shame - I like elephants.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I am 30% complete with about 20 hours into the game. I am having a great time. I will find every mask and
hopefully kill the serial killer, The Goat

I have no problem taking outposts undetected using the compound bow and silenced signature smg (and or the silenced pistol from UPlay). I finally unlocked the M700 sniper with silencer, scope, and extended clip but have little luck hitting anything. I have a problem zooming in with it (as it is not zooming in). I must be doing something wrong but I am clicking R3 to little affect.

Cheers

The sniper rifles just keep getting better, but I don't know what to tell you if it isn't zooming in for you. Advanced scopes give you two levels of zoom. I imagine there's a way to hold your breath on the console version too.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Anyone on PS4 willing to invite me for a real quick trophy session tonight or tomorrow? I just want to capture an outpost as Hurk and do the vehicle takedown from a passenger seat. I'm willing to play more than that if you are, of course, but I'd like to get the trophies since they're some of the only ones I have left.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Question about the ending and the choice you get.

Is it possible to go back to an older save to watch the alternate ending where you don't kill Pagan?

So I beat the game. I have to say, this was a far bigger improvement over Farcry 3. The only thing about Farcy 3 I liked was the gameplay. I enjoyed taking out outposts, doing missions, just feeling like a badass. But I hated the story, hated the antagonist, and hated the protagonist. Ajay is far more likable, and his personal connection to the story was a lot more enjoyable than Jason's in FC3. Pagan was hilarious, but didn't become outright loathsome like whats-his-name from FC3.

Then there's the setting. I hate the tropics. The mountainous Kyrat was a real joy to explore. Grappling from here to there, and just the scope of the whole place was great.

Negatives:
Being forced to chose between two bad people. At first it felt like a balance of power and everything's OK. By the end you know who you chose to side with is the wrong choice. There's also no point in the choice to let the person who you side with live or die. It's meaningless. I kind of wish there was a totally different narrative were you worked for Pagan. At least you know what you're getting into.

Grassy

FC4 Gold Edition is supposed to come with Hurk's Redemption and some other content but didn't (for me anyway) on Xbox One. Anyone else have this problem?

From what I've gathered, "Hurk's Redemption" was a pre-order bonus. So if you bought the Gold Edition/season pass just after launch(like me) then you won't get Hurk's missions straight away. They will apparently unlock at a later, unknown date.
I bought the PS4 Gold Edition and Hurk's cut-scene played, but the H never showed up on the map. I've completed the main game and almost 100%'d it too, so if it was going to show up it would have done so by now.

Ubisoft are as clear as mud on this, so I might be wrong and it may be a bug...

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
From what I've gathered, "Hurk's Redemption" was a pre-order bonus. So if you bought the Gold Edition/season pass just after launch(like me) then you won't get Hurk's missions straight away. They will apparently unlock at a later, unknown date.
I bought the PS4 Gold Edition and Hurk's cut-scene played, but the H never showed up on the map. I've completed the main game and almost 100%'d it too, so if it was going to show up it would have done so by now.

I got Hurk's missions and I didn't pre-order. Bought the gold edition on steam.

Just wanted to chime in and say this game is awesome and completely addictive!

Also, I think Kyrat is based on the Indian state of Sikkim given the geography. This is a photo from when I was there last month:

Whbio4i.jpg

Anyway, my PSID is QuicheFontaine. Feel free to add me if anyone wants to do co-op.

Jb

Also, I think Kyrat is based on the Indian state of Sikkim given the geography. This is a photo from when I was there last month:

Lucky bastard, this looks amazing :)

I just finished it on PS4 and overall despite how much I loved the previous games I gotta say I'm a little disappointed that they did so little with the setting. The level design is just very similar to 3's, it's basically two big vallleys with more elevation than in 3 but not nearly as much as what the E3 demo was hinting at.

The fact that the actual snow covered mountains of the Himalayas are unreachable in the open world and relagated to a couple of small mission specific maps is a huge let down. Instead of figuring out ways to design a systemic climbing mechanic they just bolted on a grappling hook that only works in very specific places. It sort of goes against the entire concept of Far Cry 3 and 4 really.

The writing was all over the fucking place too. You've got wacky and insufferable characters like Y&R (shittiest set of side missions I've played in a while), attempts at more grounded political conflic (Amita & Sabal) and then Pagan Min. None of these characters feel like they live in the same world. Ubisoft in general really need to get some better writers, between this, Watch Dogs and ACU this year they've really missed the mark.

Still, the core gameplay loop remains hugely enjoyable, but they need to be more ambitious with the next game, because it's the first Far Cry that doesn't feel like it's own unique game, but rather just another sequel.

Lucky bastard, this looks amazing :)

Hehe, yep. It wasn't my first time there but the weather was really good this time and all the pictures came out really well. I thought I'd share because the terrain in Farcry 4 might look pretty outlandish in places, but there are actually places in the world that look like that! The people should really be speaking Nepali rather than Hindi if it's meant to be Sikkim, but hey Kyrat is a fictional place. I think they mention that it's near Patna at times.

I just finished it on PS4 and overall despite how much I loved the previous games I gotta say I'm a little disappointed that they did so little with the setting. The level design is just very similar to 3's, it's basically two big vallleys with more elevation than in 3 but not nearly as much as what the E3 demo was hinting at.

The fact that the actual snow covered mountains of the Himalayas are unreachable in the open world and relagated to a couple of small mission specific maps is a huge let down. Instead of figuring out ways to design a systemic climbing mechanic they just bolted on a grappling hook that only works in very specific places. It sort of goes against the entire concept of Far Cry 3 and 4 really.

The writing was all over the fucking place too. You've got wacky and insufferable characters like Y&R (shittiest set of side missions I've played in a while), attempts at more grounded political conflic (Amita & Sabal) and then Pagan Min. None of these characters feel like they live in the same world. Ubisoft in general really need to get some better writers, between this, Watch Dogs and ACU this year they've really missed the mark.

Still, the core gameplay loop remains hugely enjoyable, but they need to be more ambitious with the next game, because it's the first Far Cry that doesn't feel like it's own unique game, but rather just another sequel.

I can't really speak for the story since I'm only about 30% completion, but I kinda get what you're saying. The tone seems to flit between serious and lighthearted, and sometimes I wish it would just decide what it wants to be. I dunno though, maybe some people like a mix like that.

Regarding it being just another sequel, I guess I don't mind that at all because I loved Farcry 3! Sometimes just being a sequel is fine - everything feels nice and familiar, and it doesn't take long to get into the swing of things. That suits me fine :)

It turns out there is nothing wrong with the zoom feature with the sniper rifles - user error. I thought it was not zooming in when I clicked R3 but it was, just not very much. 😚.

I would like to play some co-op so if you see me online, invite me. We can trade off for the achievements. PSN name is Zyzomys and I am usually on after 10:30 pm EST. No problem playing to 1:30 am ish.

Just got access to the silenced Signature M16. Awesome assault rifle. I wish it was more difficult to call for mercenary support. I screwed up the silent takedown of an outpost when they showed up. In hindsight, I should have died and started over.

Cheers.

Vlodril

so i got this game to play co-op with a friend knowing that you couldn't do the main missions (which i still find stupid implement full co-op stop half assing things) but no i read that anything the non host person does do not get saved apart from skills points and materials?

so if i liberate a fortress or whatever the fortress would be need to be liberated in his game as well? because that sounds insanely stupid :p

I emailed Ubisoft support. A CSR has replied once already, but the first email was an idiot check.

I know the XB1 and PS4 language is a bit unclear, but the PC description on Ubi's website explicitly includes it.

Bebpo

Banned
Getting near the end now, around 80% in after about 40+ hours. Still really enjoying it and every time I sit down I run into unique organic situations due to all the world systems interacting.

For instance, I was doing a tower and there were a bunch of guards around the entrance. Was sneaking up and an eagle swooped down on one and they all ran off chasing it leaving the entrance wide open so I darted in, climbed up and dove off and they never even knew I was there.

I really enjoy all the missions (even the Yogi missions are fun in a silly trippy way with the music and Shangraila because it's so damn pretty) except the armored truck protection missions which start off a little annoying and now by the north are some complete bullshit where basically everytime an enemy appears you need to jump off the truck so they target you instead and then fight helicopters, multiple trucks and gunners all at once then jump back on and repeat. It's not really fun and just kind of annoying.

Also I disagree with the post a few posts up that said the mountain climbing feels restrictive and only available at a few grappling points. There are grapple points everywhere and on top of that you can do a lot of manually climbing. It's definitely the best mountain climbing simulation I've experienced in a game yet and the vertical design of the world which lets you climb all around and soar down is amazing and really makes the setting feel unique along with the spiritual religion vs. fascism setting of the place.

I do agree though that having the snow be isolated to the non-sandbox Himalaya levels is a bit of a disappointment. Would it really have been that hard to just have the exterior ends of the map (or at least the north) be a snow area that you climb up to? I'm guessing the Yeti expansion pack will be a snow covered mini-sandbox area to play in to try to make up for that.

Is there any way to replay certain side missions? I just got one where I had to kill a commander using a pistol. There was some pretty cool electronic music playing and I was playing all stealthy. I felt like the predator until a dumb mistake caused the enemies to see me. I managed to beat it but I want to play it again and feel like a true badass, haha.

Google

Finished the campaign last night after 20 hours with it.

Im done.

I enjoyed it but I dont think I'm going to go back to it. I took over every outpost and radio tower in the south before I unlocked the north and did very little exploration once I'd done that.

REALLY, REALLY enjoyed Pagan. Everything about him. His accent, his mannerisms, his sense of humour, the ending...Fuck I want more from him.

I'd happily play a 1980's version of this game as Pagan as he tries to seize control of Kyrat the first time.

Anyone on PS4 willing to invite me for a real quick trophy session tonight or tomorrow? I just want to capture an outpost as Hurk and do the vehicle takedown from a passenger seat. I'm willing to play more than that if you are, of course, but I'd like to get the trophies since they're some of the only ones I have left.
Are you still looking for someone to quickly do those co-op trophies with?

I only need that Changing Lanes trophy for unlocking Platinum, so if you (or anyone else on PS4) are willing to join up, let me know :)

Edit: nevermind, got it by myself while I was playing with some random guy (thanks to Pagan convoy's driver for not slowing down and exiting the vehicle so I had time to switch seats and jump to his car :D).

Ubisoft finally responded to me with more than a form response, and you're right.

PS4 and XB1 users who purchased the Gold edition but did not pre-order get the additional content "as soon as it is available."

PC users get it immediately regardless of when they purchased.

The "as soon as it is available" is annoying since it obviously already is available but whatever.

glaurung

Can someone help me get the two co-op trophies? Those are all I'm missing from platinum.

I am on PS4, PSN username glaurung

Grassy

Ubisoft finally responded to me with more than a form response, and you're right.

PS4 and XB1 users who purchased the Gold edition but did not pre-order get the additional content "as soon as it is available."

PC users get it immediately regardless of when they purchased.

The "as soon as it is available" is annoying since it obviously already is available but whatever.

Cheers for posting that. I don't know why they are delaying giving it to people with the Gold Edition/Season Pass but yeah, whatever.

Fuck yes, I finally convinced my best bud to buy this game!

Looking forward to showing off in co-op now that I am basically a god. Not trying to brag or anything, it's just that once you have all the skills and weapons unlocked you're pretty much unstoppable.

mbmonk

Are there any game breaking bugs or issues with the x1 version of the game?

I am a little hesitant due to it being an ubisoft game. :)

Are there any game breaking bugs or issues with the x1 version of the game?

I am a little hesitant due to it being and ubisoft game. :)

I completed the game on the Xbox without experiencing any bugs.

My only issue (which is probably not software-related) is finding multiplayer sessions.

So I played some coop today and while it was fun, almost no challenge was present. It doesn't seem like the level of difficulty adjusts itself to having twice the manpower so we'll probably manually switch to Hard next time. Is there a way to do that without having to restart the campaign from scratch?

Do karma event and truck hijackings only occur in unliberated zones? Also, is there a reward difference between taking a truck to an outpost and simply blowing it up?

Game is awesome so far.

Bebpo

Banned
So I played some coop today and while it was fun, almost no challenge was present. It doesn't seem like the level of difficulty adjusts itself to having twice the manpower so we'll probably manually switch to Hard next time. Is there a way to do that without having to restart the campaign from scratch?

Does the difficulty slider even do anything? I've tried changing it a couple of times and I can't tell the difference between easy & normal. I have no idea what the slider changes.

Top Bottom