• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 4 PC performance thread

seph1roth

I must say, those 60fps are during gameplay.

On cinematic events the framerate dropts to 40fps at some points, being 50-60fps the most common.

3bdelilah

Banned
It runs surprisingly well for me. I get 40-60 fps with everything maxed out on Ultra @ 1080p. Looks stunning, and more important: consistent. 50fps average with minor drops to 40. I expected less after Unity's team.

4670K @ 3.4 GHz stock speed
R9 280X (3GB) stock
8GB 1600Mhz RAM

Hopefully people with similar specs have a better impression now.

Qassim

They said this at the end of their performance guide for AC: Unity.

"Be sure to tell us of your experiences in Paris, and stay tuned to GeForce.com for our Far Cry 4 game guide, which may be the longest graphics guide in history."

Oh, thanks!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Thus far I'm getting 35~40fps during gameplay. Nvidia's current Far Cry 4 profile is virtually empty so that's with a single 2GB 670. VRAM usage has peaked at just under 2GB (2031MB to be precise).

Specs:
2600K @ 4.6GHz
8GB DDR3-1600
2x slightly overclocked 2GB 670s
Win7 x64

Settings:
1680x1050, Nvidia preset albeit with SMAA instead of 4x TXAA.

does this game support sli?

Not yet.

Galucha

Neo Member
Neat OP.

Anyone with a GTX 760 2GB and i5 4670 test the game yet?

I'd also like to know since I have the exact same specs.

Ditto, although I've an i7.

Similar specs and I can say that the game is definitely playable.

FX-8320
GTX 760 2GB
8GB DDR3
120GB SSD
Min - 31
Max - 62
Avg - 47
@1080p ultra settings with shadows on medium and SMAA

On a side note, is it just me or is the motion blur really bad? I tried playing a bit with it on but it was way too much blurring.

This is amazing. So many options to choose from and I heard it runs great. I bought 4 AAA PC games this month so I have no money left, lol.

Similar specs and I can say that the game is definitely playable.

FX-8320
GTX 760 2GB
8GB DDR3
120GB SSD
Min - 31
Max - 62
Avg - 47
@1080p ultra settings with shadows on medium and SMAA

On a side note, is it just me or is the motion blur really bad? I tried playing a bit with it on but it was way too much blurring.
Awww yeah, totally pumped for this game now. Thanks for the info :D

Aww, I don't think using an Australian connection to unlock early works with just UPlay. I got FC4 for free from buying a 970, and I was hoping that I could employ my same Steam/Origin trickery to get the game today, but it looks like I'll have to wait until tomorrow.

EDIT: Beaten
VPN didn't work for me with Uplay :'(

JaseC

VPN didn't work for me with Uplay :'(
Aww, I don't think using an Australian connection to unlock early works with just UPlay. I got FC4 for free from buying a 970, and I was hoping that I could employ my same Steam/Origin trickery to get the game today, but it looks like I'll have to wait until tomorrow.

EDIT: Beaten

Ta, I'll edit the OP accordingly.

Edit:
Really? That is disappointing indeed as I use Afterburner for my overclocking on my 980 and HWinfo and RTSS are pretty much essential for my paranoia over framerates, temps etc.

Yeah, I tried enabling/disabling custom D3D support and enabling/disabling 64-bit support, as well as a mix of the two options, but nothing would take.

garath

Bah, having RTSS running causes the game to insta-crash.

Really? That sucks. I recently found out that was what was causing my BF4 to stutter horribly as well. I should probably stop my policy of having it always running.

Might have to go back to fraps and just get FPS info.

That's ULTRA on 1080p, no medium-high

It's a very good performance.

30fps on Ultra @ 1080p for a 660 is excellent performance, seems about right for the power of the card.

Hoping I can run this with my GTX 670 2GB on Ultra with 45+ fps. There seems to be a pretty large IQ difference between Ultra and High, so I definitely want to be able to use Ultra.

Mohonky

Is anyone getting the Uplay error "Failed to start download"?

I can't download it at all.

Yeop, its the 18th here but thats i have been receiving.

Failed to start download please make sure connected to the internet and have sufficient hdd space blahblahblah.

Nice one Ubi.

30fps on Ultra @ 1080p for a 660 is excellent performance, seems about right for the power of the card.

Hoping I can run this with my GTX 670 2GB on Ultra with 45+ fps. There seems to be a pretty large IQ difference between Ultra and High, so I definitely want to be able to use Ultra.

Excellent! I should be able to get great performance with my 660 on High then

JaseC

did you try to disable steam and uplay overlays?

Nah, didn't think to try that, but now that I've ran around the game with FRAPS running and checked Afterburner for VRAM usage stats I'm not particularly bothered.

codhand

i7 3770@4.2Ghz, MSI GTX 970 Gamer 1500Mhz/3900Mhz, maximum settings SMAA, HBAO+ 1080p
60fps locked, sometimes dips to 45/50fps, as if its loading new parts of the map. GPU usage below 100% at these dips. Havent updated nVidia drivers yet.

2.7GB VRAM Usage.

sounds solid. fc3 was.

Is anyone getting the Uplay error "Failed to start download"?

I can't download it at all.

Yep. Tons of people on official forums are talking about it as well. Nobody is getting a reply from customer service, but that is hardly surprising. Hoping they just have to activate something when the launch patch hits, but realistically I will be happy if I can play the game by the weekend.

Zeth

970 + 3570k oc here. I'm considering switching from my main 1440 90hz IPS to my secondary 1080P tn panel for this one. I'll see how it runs at decent settings/1440 first - if I can get it to the 50-70fps range unlocked like FC3 I might play it that way.

The-Bean

Bah, having RTSS running causes the game to insta-crash.

This seems to happen to me with a lot of (DX11) games.

The solution I've found to work every time is to close MSI Afterburner, open the game then alt+tab and open Afterburner.

So, if I'm able to play Far Cry 3 at high settings (900p, mostly maxed except shadows, AO, AA and Post FX) at 60fps (or +/- 50fps on 1080p) can I expect the same kind of experience with Far Cry 4 or is the game way more demanding than 3?

Did the patch add in an FOV slider?

If they haven't yet I'm sure they will, the values for it are in the config file so it can be changed there for now.

I'm more curious about the view model fov, had to unpack, edit every weapon's file then repack for the last game.

Top Bottom