• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 4 PC performance thread

There's no SLI profile yet. According to a post on geforce forums, using Far Cry 3 SLI bits results in negative performance scaling and produces artifacts in this game.
*shakes fist in rage.

I need that SLI profile, one 670 ain't gonna cut it with this game.
How much is my 2gb of VRAM going to hold me back?

i7-2600k @ 4.4Ghz. -0.05 Offset
two MSI N670 Power Editions
8gig DDR3 1600
Windows 7 Pro 64bit

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is it ordered from lowest perf. cost to highest? Which one is most optimal?

It's ordered as the option is in-game (starting from "Off" and ending with the last setting before the option loops). Unlike the other options which are ordered from worst to best in terms of their effectiveness, there doesn't seem to be a particular order to AA outside of the obvious categorisation (off -> MSAA -> post-process AA -> TXAA). The most efficient solution is SMAA but it's not the best from an anti-aliasing perspective.

Edit: Kindasorta beaten.

What is that?

I've no idea what the option refers to. I switched "Trees" to "'I am Groot'" as a joke. ;)

It's ordered as the option is in-game (starting from "Off" and ending with the last option before the option loops). Unlike the other options which are ordered from worst to best in terms of their effectiveness, there doesn't seem to be a particular order to AA outside of the obvious categorisation (off -> MSAA -> post-process AA -> TXAA). The most efficient solution is SMAA but it's not the best from an anti-aliasing perspective.

Edit: Kindasorta beaten.

I've no idea what the option refers to. I switched "Trees" to "'I am Groot'" as a joke. ;)

It's Tree Tessellation

JaseC

Can you find any options for toggling HUD elements? I saw the values in the config file posted earlier but I'm curious if they have them available in game.

Yeah, there are plenty. I'll edit in a couple of screenshots in a moment.

Edit:
2014-11-17_00003l7smn.jpg

2014-11-17_00004hhs3a.jpg

JaseC

Minimap opacity, that's nice. Still, best solution would be if you could toggle it on/off with a key ingame.

Yeah, you can disable the minimap but there doesn't appear to be a button that allows you to toggle it on-the-fly.

ktroopa

Nah, some shitty ones...don't blame me, i don't know how to take good pictures

are you running the patched 1.3 version. There was a problem with HBAO+ which resulted in crushed blacks and map appearing overly dark. has this been fixed with the patch - can you confirm, the screens seem to suggest so if you took them?

JaseC

*shakes fist in rage.

I need that SLI profile, one 670 ain't gonna cut it with this game.
How much is my 2gb of VRAM going to hold me back?

i7 2600k @ 4.4ghz
two MSI N670 Power Editions

2GB of VRAM seems to be the absolute minimum for Ultra. In my experience, while travelling on foot stuttering is virtually non-existent but flares up a bit while driving (i.e. when the game is forced to load more segments of the map in quick succession). I think I'll be quite happy with the game's performance once Nvidia updates its Far Cry 4 profile with SLI support.

2GB of VRAM seems to be the absolute minimum for Ultra. While travelling on foot stuttering is virtually non-existent, but it flares up a bit while driving (i.e. when the game is forced to load more segments of the map in quick succession).
thanks for the info
seems we are running very similar rigs.
now nvidia just needs to dish out some sli drivers.

camac002

Man, that hardcore motion blur on Ultra lighting setting can really smooth out 30fps (I have it locked) but can be dodgy in cutscenes etc. I'm also not sure if I actually prefer the Ultra lightning setting either. hmm decisions

npa189

I'm glad the performance seems to be good, I bet its more the engine than Kiev that saved it. Probably going to be the last good performance I get out of my 670.

Using my 670 2gb and i7 2700k on far cry 3 I played on mostly max settings and didn't always get 60fps but it was good enough.

What am I looking at for fc4?

aravuus

Intel i7 4770K

GTX 970 Gaming G1

Every option set to ULTRA, Very High Shadows, Godrays, HBAO+, SMAA

60FPS almost all the time (at the beggining with all the explosions and all the shit, drops to 55fps at the most)...sluttering at some points, i think that's because of checkpoints.

Nice to hear it actually plays like it should on a 970. No need to wait for drivers and patches, I get to experience it on ultra settings before DA: Inquisition comes out in Europe.

BigDug13

Does this game have the same "DirectX 9" option like Far Cry 3? My laptop put weird shadowy black boxes at random places when playing DX11 mode that didn't happen when I ran the game in DX9 mode. I don't want to risk the same thing if this game got rid of FC3's DX9 option.

Thanks!

riflen

Does this game have the same "DirectX 9" option like Far Cry 3? My laptop put weird shadowy black boxes at random places when playing DX11 mode that didn't happen when I ran the game in DX9 mode. I don't want to risk the same thing if this game got rid of FC3's DX9 option.

Thanks!

There's no DirectX 9 path for this game, I think. You shouldn't really be concerned. It sounds like a GPU driver and/or game configuration problem that you experienced with Far Cry 3.

aravuus

I have to agree, looks indeed fuzzy (can't think of a more appropriate word), might need some serious downsampling.

A bit, yeah. Also a bit too, I dunno, glowing or bloomy or something here and there.

I'm sure it looks better in motion but I may have to play around with the settings

When people say the VPN trick isn't working for uplay, does that mean you are using steam, triggering the unlock, then are stuck at uplay? Or that it doesn't work if you BUY it from uplay?

-griffy-

Banned
I do not like whatever crappy DOF effect they are using on the character's gun/hands. Looks like they just layered another copy of the gun model on top with a guassian blur, at 50% transparency, so you can see the blurred version and then the unblurred version beneath it at the same time. Looks awful.

Everything else looks pretty damn solid though.

Seanspeed

Banned
I have to agree, looks indeed fuzzy (can't think of a more appropriate word), might need some serious downsampling.
Yea, possibly. The foliage just looks like poo from farther than 10-15ft away. No definition and it has this funky aberration to it.

Some screenshots and performance comments at 1440p would be awesome.

JaseC

When people say the VPN trick isn't working for uplay, does that mean you are using steam, triggering the unlock, then are stuck at uplay? Or that it doesn't work if you BUY it from uplay?

The latter. VPNs work with the Steam versions of Uplay games just fine.

Edit: A bit of a brain fart there. Fixed. I didn't need to use a VPN, haha.

artsi

It works for Steam versions, Uplay doesn't do any checks if Steam lets you play. It considers it like you bought the game from store.

JaseC

The next region to get the game seems to be Eastern Europe (a little over 4 hours), followed by the rest of Europe and Asia* (a little over 6 hours), which opens up more VPN options (TunnelBear is free and has servers in various European countries -- there is a 500MB bandwidth limit for free accounts, however unlike FlyVPN there are no session limits). I assume these unlock times apply to the Uplay version of the game as well.

* Excluding Japan, as per usual.

A bit, yeah. Also a bit too, I dunno, glowing or bloomy or something here and there.

I'm sure it looks better in motion but I may have to play around with the settings
Probably bloom and motion blur, 2 of my most hated effects, I see that motion blur can be turnt off at least.

Yea, possibly. The foliage just looks like poo from farther than 10-15ft away. No definition and it has this funky aberration to it.

Some screenshots and performance comments at 1440p would be awesome.
A new form of CA, exactly what we need.

Probably because there is FXAA in the PostFX [DoF, Cloud, FXAA maybe?], just like FC3
Yes, it might be.

Top Bottom