• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Farpoint/PSVR Aim |OT| Survivors Keep Shooting

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Hearing that Aim uses Micro USB to charge makes me want to knock over a magazine rack.
whatyearisit.gif

MattAces

Hearing that Aim uses Micro USB to charge makes me want to knock over a magazine rack.
whatyearisit.gif

What are you expecting? USB-C?
You are expecting PSVR users to have or pack mini usb for Move, micro usb for DS4/PU and usb c for Aim?

Sho Nuff

Banned
HOLY SHIT the co-op in this game is REAL GOOD. I feel like I'm playing Time Crisis. But like, in real life.

The dream of Dactyl Nightmare has come true

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
You are expecting PSVR users to have or pack mini usb for Move, micro usb for DS4/PU and usb c for Aim?

Honestly I'd vastly prefer mini over what we got. Hell, I'd rather have full-size USB. Is USB-C expensive or something?
I've seriously gone through over 60 micro cables since it came out and I thought that fucking nightmare was finally over except for legacy devices.

goonergaz

Yeah I'm confused - it's a PS4 accessory and they all use the same connection/lead so makes perfect sense. Sony not updating the Move connector is probably due to having a warehouse full of unsold units and costs (oh how they turned a hardware loss into a win many years later!).

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I have pretty bad archnophobia, am I gonna be able to play this?

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Nope. I would avoid this at all costs.

Are you okay with spider monsters popping out of the ground and jumping directly at your face?

Bollox it anyway, was starting to get hyped about this. How realistic looking are they? Is it just one section or is it a persistent enemy? I just saw one big one in the trailer that looked like it was made out of rock and didn't have 8 legs, I can handle that.

Markitron

No. I would also avoid watching the new spider man movie in 3d

Homecoming? I usually just close my eyes during every Spiderman origin scene, I was actually relieved that it's already happened off-screen in the MCU.

MattAces

Honestly I think you should just play it. Combat your arachnophobia, only in Farpoint where you can simulate something that close to fighting a spider while having a bad ass gun to blast them.

It's like how I'm super scared of spooky stuff, for some reason I was able to play Brookhaven without any fear because I'm holding a gun killing them. If it's something like RE7, where most of the time I'm helpless, that definitely won't help.

ryseing

Bollox it anyway, was starting to get hyped about this. How realistic looking are they? Is it just one section or is it a persistent enemy?

Persistent enemy. They look like spiders crossed with xenomorphs. Quite terrifying, and there are large ones.

Markitron

Honestly I think you should just play it. Combat your arachnophobia, only in Farpoint where you can simulate something that close to fighting a spider while having a bad ass gun to blast them.

It's like how I'm super scared of spooky stuff, for some reason I was able to play Brookhaven without any fear because I'm holding a gun killing them. If it's something like RE7, where most of the time I'm helpless, that definitely won't help.

Appreciate the suggestion but it doesn't make any difference to me, I lose sleep no matter what.

Persistent enemy. They look like spiders crossed with xenomorphs. Quite terrifying, and there are large ones.

Thanks, that's actually good news. The less real-life they look, the better.

Mdk7

8.7 from me on IGN Italia.
Farpoint is the perfect crossover between arcade light gun shooters à la The House of the Dead and old-school First Person Shooters. The result is a jaw-dropping experience that truly becomes unparalleled thanks to the power of VR and to the quality of the Aim Controller peripheral: this might be the first full blown traditional game 100% built around VR, and despite a few shortcomings you literally won't believe your eyes. In its own ways, Farpoint truly takes the shooter genre to a whole new level: if this is not a killer application, we're pretty close to that.

I really, really, REALLY enjoyed it, as a fan of VR, shooters and light gun games in general.

ChouGoku

A few hours in, just put it down for the night some spoilers.

Moon and Tyson had a kid?? Smh idk how they would avoid it but damn (maybe they are dead) there is going to be a point where the kid is alone when they die of old age.

Aliens are on a different level,
I forgot you can blind fire and when I remembered it just made the game so much better
Don't know if its on purpose but when the aliens shot at me as a surprise the first few shots would miss. I felt like an action star just dodging enemy bullets before going on a spree.
Very fun so far, I think peripherals will make VR and this game proves it. It all feels so natural, aiming is so fun. Hopefully more games will use the aim, its amazing.

Sho Nuff

Banned
As much as I love this game, let me point out some real head-scratchers here:

-- Checkpointing. What? Are you serious? Also, there's zero indication when it's safe to quit and when you're going to lose progress. Had to replay huge chunks because I wanted to take a break. ONLY quit after watching a cutscene.

-- Multiplayer character animation. Real bad

-- Rando bugs. Can't use the alien guns in coop because the scanning feature keeps turning itself on and off rapid-fire.

-- Boss fights. The
Queen
was a huge pain in the ass because of having to aim UP, which always made my Aim controller leave the tracking volume. Some real annoying tuning issues in this fight.

-- It seems weird that the shotgun doesn't auto-reload on empty, not sure if other games are spoiling me, but it felt weird.

THIS GAME IS SUPER BOSS THOUGH, you should buy it.

WITHE1982

Played for around 3 and a half hours last night and I'm really enjoying the game so far. Unfortunately I had to quit at that point as I started to get a bit of a headache, but I'd put that down to it being my longest VR session by some distance (previous was 1.5 hours). I started off the game using smooth turning with rear stick controls and felt no motion sickness whatsoever, whole thing felt great.

The Aim controller is a real game changer for me and such a leap from the PS Move Sharpshooter (which I've used a lot). The 1-1 aiming is superb and extremely accurate. Aiming down sights is a revelation, especially when you pick up the sniper rifle. I did suffer a small amount of drift at one point (for 2-3 minutes at most) but quitting and re-loading seemed to sort it out.

I've just reached the point when the
bipedal aliens
have shown up for the first time and the story really seems to be ramping up. The cut scenes are remarkably well done for a VR game, the acting is great and you could really feel the emoticons reflected on the characters faces. Impulse gear have done a fantastic job in that regard.

Can't wait to finish the game off and have a blast with challenge and co-op. Game is easily one of the best VR experiences I'd had to date. If I had to give a score it would be a solid 8.5 (8 without the Aim controller).

Planet

I only briefly tested smooth turning, and it immidiately made me feel queasy. Just a tiny bit, but it's clear to me now I just can't have that in VR. Turning in small steps feels fine, big steps were too imprecise for seated gaming. Playing 2.5 hours that way, no problem at all.

Guerrilla

Is this not widely available or sold out already in germany? It's not available on amazon and only sporadically with some shady online shops...

Thanks, that's actually good news. The less real-life they look, the better.

I wouldn't say I'm arachnophobic, but I do feel uncomfortable when seeing spiders. I watched a short review though and these rocky creatures with 6 legs don't really resemble spiders... I think. Will receive my delivery today and I'll jump right in, let's see how far I can get :)

Is this not widely available or sold out already in germany? It's not available on amazon and only sporadically with some shady online shops...

Yes there seems to be a shortage. It was available somewhat cheap on ebay until Sunday (~93€), but now that reviews are out it seems to have sold out further with prices going up.

Planet

Pretty much sold out. Computeruniverse isn't shady, but also expensive (€103 including delivery). You can try Amazon Italy, they still have stock and are pretty cheap (€81). Disc should be european, but if something is broken, you might have to send it back to Italy, because Amazon Germany could refuse. Also it will probably take a few days and you need a credit card.

Got to the first boss - couldn't beat it but yeah what a fantastic game. That thing looked fucking incredible. Sooo huge! It's a gorgeous looking PSVR title and gotta say, they little critters jumping at you all makes it feel really kinetic with you spraying them with bullets.

The PSVR aim is so accurate too. Down the sights? incredible

Played for about 1+, maybe 2 hours; no idea when I put the headset on but no motion sickness.

only changed the turning to 11.

Moza

Regarding the fear of spiders issue, how does this compare to the spider level in Rush of Blood for those who have played both? Cause that level was the most terrifying thing I've ever played and the only level I wouldn't touch again.

WITHE1982

Regarding the fear of spiders issue, how does this compare to the spider level in Rush of Blood for those who have played both? Cause that level was the most terrifying thing I've ever played and the only level I wouldn't touch again.

As a self confessed arachnophobe I found the Rush Of Blood level slightly worse due to the fact you can dodge/run/hide in Farpoint whereas you're static in RoB. Saying that the smaller arachnids still manage to make me squirm and jump even after 3+ hours.

For me the smaller the video game spider the worse the fear (as they seem more real). The larger enemy encounters haven't bothered me so much TBH. If you've watched Starship Troopers without crapping yourself then 90% of Farpoint will be fine.

Markitron

As a self confessed arachnophobe I found the Rush Of Blood level slightly worse due to the fact you can dodge/run/hide in Farpoint whereas you're static in RoB. Saying that the smaller arachnids still manage to make me squirm and jump even after 3+ hours.

For me the smaller the video game spider the worse the fear (as they seem more real). The larger enemy encounters haven't bothered me so much TBH. If you've watched Starship Troopers without crapping yourself then 90% of Farpoint will be fine.

Thanks, this is what I needed to hear. Sci-fi style armored arachnids don't really bother me too much, Starship Troopers is no bother to me at all. Seems like I might be OK to go ahead and get this.

gmoran

Only had chance to play this for an hour at the end of the night cause it was the Mrs' birthday. So came downstairs after and said, "New game's awesome, quite intense!" and the Mrs says "Yeah we could tell; half the street could tell: you were doing a lot of shrieking; god knows what the neighbours think; its not very masculine"

Only had chance to play this for an hour at the end of the night cause it was the Mrs' birthday. So came downstairs after and said, "New game's awesome, quite intense!" and the Mrs says "Yeah we could tell; half the street could tell: you were doing a lot of shrieking; god knows what the neighbours think; its not very masculine"

Sounds like me in 2 hours.

gmoran

Bollox it anyway, was starting to get hyped about this. How realistic looking are they? Is it just one section or is it a persistent enemy? I just saw one big one in the trailer that looked like it was made out of rock and didn't have 8 legs, I can handle that.

One of the biggish space-spiders came right at me up close and attacked me: at which point I shrieked, screwed up my eyes and just put my arms out screaming "No, no, god no! get away; oh god"

I was surprised how intense this feels, I mean they're stupid space-spiders, its a sci-fi trope; on a flat screen this would be laughable, but in game it really is intense. I have mild arachnophobia.

Good fun though, and I'd say get it and get the Aim.

Z3M0G

Totally disagree. Actually the exact opposite. This game is extremely pedestrian if you play it like a normal FPS with a DS4. With the Aim, it's a freaking revelation. My heartrate went way up and I started sweating while playing with VR and an Aim.

Comments like this make me wonder if people even know what they are talking about when they respond to the criticism... You DON'T play this game like a normal FPS when using the controller... you still move the controller around as the gun.

I love changing the weapon by pointing the gun up, feels so natural.

Holding the gun up to where my eyes should be and seeing that red laser sight within the ironsights still blows my mind for some reason.

You still do ALL of this with the controller...

Their comment about controller being superior could be completely valid if the person was a lefty. Because playing lefty with the aim has the stick controls reversed (left to turn / right to move), while paying with the controller it would still be natural (left to move / right to turn). If I play again before the patch comes, I'll probably opt to use the DS4 as the gun.

Guerrilla

Yes there seems to be a shortage. It was available somewhat cheap on ebay until Sunday (~93€), but now that reviews are out it seems to have sold out further with prices going up.

Yeah thought so :/

Pretty much sold out. Computeruniverse isn't shady, but also expensive (€103 including delivery). You can try Amazon Italy, they still have stock and are pretty cheap (€81). Disc should be european, but if something is broken, you might have to send it back to Italy, because Amazon Germany could refuse. Also it will probably take a few days and you need a credit card.

Thanks for the tip, but Amazon.it says it'll take until May 24th - 26th to arrive. I'll hold out a little longer and see if amazon.de will get it back in stock

snipah

Neo Member
Thanks for the tip, but Amazon.it says it'll take until May 24th - 26th to arrive. I'll hold out a little longer and see if amazon.de will get it back in stock

Go for it and order from Italy. I ordered my bundle yesterday, it is shipped already and supposed to arrive on Monday latest - probably even on Friday. While ordering it said "delivery between May, 23rd and May, 24th."

You will definitely have it earlier than from Amazon.de and will save around 20 Euros, so why wait?

I cannot find an Aim bundle for the life of me. Is the experience still good with a Dualshock 4 or should I wait to find an Aim before picking it up?

Freeman76

Played the first hour, its a cool experience but nothing mind blowing. Im sure it gets better but I feel like just spent an hour walking through the same cave shooting little spiders and a few of their parents, and then a couple of giant fuckers for good measure. Impressed with the graphics, pretty good for VR. Tracking seems good, although my gun isnt perfectly still, it kind of 'jitters', is that normal? I have wobbles issues with my VR anyway so I guess its linked.

WITHE1982

Played the first hour, its a cool experience but nothing mind blowing. Im sure it gets better but I feel like just spent an hour walking through the same cave shooting little spiders and a few of their parents, and then a couple of giant fuckers for good measure. Impressed with the graphics, pretty good for VR. Tracking seems good, although my gun isnt perfectly still, it kind of 'jitters', is that normal? I have wobbles issues with my VR anyway so I guess its linked.

TBH the first 1-2 hours were the most fun for me (played 3.5 hours total). After that the combat goes a little downhill when some other enemy types appear IMHO. Despite a fear of spiders I did enjoy the intense initial fights, having to switch targets continuously.

I had the very smallest amount of wobble but generally readjusting my position or moving toward the camera slightly seems to alleviate it.

Freeman76

TBH the first 1-2 hours were the most fun for me (played 3.5 hours total). After that the combat goes a little downhill when some other enemy types appear IMHO. Despite a fear of spiders I did enjoy the intense initial fights, having to switch targets continuously.

I had the very smallest amount of wobble but generally readjusting my position or moving toward the camera slightly seems to alleviate it.

Hmm, I may return it in that case, and pick it up further down the road when its a bit cheaper.

bumpkin

Got to the first boss - couldn't beat it but yeah what a fantastic game. That thing looked fucking incredible. Sooo huge! It's a gorgeous looking PSVR title and gotta say, they little critters jumping at you all makes it feel really kinetic with you spraying them with bullets.
If you're talking about the boss I think you're talking about, yeah, that fucker wrecked me a good half dozen times before I finally got the upper hand and took it down.
What worked for me was finding places where I could have my back to a wall and rock formations overhead that block the blobs the boss lobs at me. The strategy works-ish for the first two phases, but on the third, I had to keep moving.
I was boiling over with rage and sweat by the time I beat him/her, but goddamn if it wasn't satisfying watching it keel over and die after putting me through hell.

Yeah, I'm not terribly impressed with some of the later enemy types and how those encounters shake down. The immersion, atmosphere and the satisfying controls (with the Aim) are keeping me in for the long run though.

After I finish the campaign, I'd be up to do some co-op. Shoot me a friend request if you're interested in playing sometime. My Gamer ID is DaveB1980

Just picked up the AIM bundle last night! Excited to dive in later today.

Quick question: what's the battery life like on the AIM controller? Is it fully charged out-of-the-box?

WITHE1982

Hmm, I may return it in that case, and pick it up further down the road when its a bit cheaper.

No worries.

There's always Dick Wilde, Brookhaven and Arizona Sunshine (next month) to scratch that AIM controller itch. One of those may be more up your street if Farpoint isn't really doing it for you.

Bear in mind I'm only around 2/3 through the game so can't say if the last part is any good or not.

Just picked up the AIM bundle last night! Excited to dive in later today.

Quick question: what's the battery life like on the AIM controller? Is it fully charged out-of-the-box?

Can't say if it was charged out of the box but I charged mine for roughly 1 hour before I started playing and 3.5 hours later it had 2 bars out of 3 left on it.

Yeah, I'm not terribly impressed with some of the later enemy types and how those encounters shake down. The immersion, atmosphere and the satisfying controls (with the Aim) are keeping me in for the long run though.

After I finish the campaign, I'd be up to do some co-op. Shoot me a friend request if you're interested in playing sometime. My Gamer ID is DaveB1980

Cool. Will do fella.

Top Bottom