• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Farpoint/PSVR Aim |OT| Survivors Keep Shooting

Tadale

I cannot find an Aim bundle for the life of me. Is the experience still good with a Dualshock 4 or should I wait to find an Aim before picking it up?

I'd say a huge part of the enjoyment for me has been aiming with the gun controller. I probably wouldn't want to play without it.

cakely

Hearing that Aim uses Micro USB to charge makes me want to knock over a magazine rack.
whatyearisit.gif

Yes, it uses MicroUSB just like the Dualshock 4. Why wouldn't it?

The Move, which was a PlayStation 3 accessory, still uses MiniUSB ... and that's actually annoying.

Yeah, it's fine with one eye -- that's why I'm thinking it's an alignment issue.
I don't think there's anything wrong then. I've shot shotguns, rifles, and pistols in real life and it always works better with one eye closed for me. There are some people who like to aim with both eyes open but they're in the minority.

The fact that the game treats aiming down the sight so realistically is a good thing in my opinion.

Planet

Quick question: what's the battery life like on the AIM controller? Is it fully charged out-of-the-box?
Mine showed up as 2/3rds charged in the UI when I registered it. Then I played for about 2.5 hours, which brought it down to 1/3rd. Can't say for sure but I am pretty confident that you will have a lot of hours when fully charged, probably more than a DualShock4.

I found it pretty easy to play while it was charging. You're on Spider Planet, you're not going to notice a little cable hanging from your weapon! At least I didn't.

MultiCore

I found it pretty easy to play while it was charging. You're on Spider Planet, you're not going to notice a little cable hanging from your weapon! At least I didn't.

This may actually be a bad idea unless you've got a generous extension cable.

I'd hate for anyone to break the charge port on their brand new accessory. Spiders can be serious business.

Best Buy was sold out of the Game/Aim bundle so I went to Target and they had like 5 of them just sitting on the shelf. Not sure if that will work for everyone, but it's worth looking into.

My parcel just arrived. Damn this controller feels great. Lightweight, easy to handle with one hand, but not cheap at all.

Sony's hardware team has been on fire since the launch of PS4.

This may actually be a bad idea unless you've got a generous extension cable.

I'd hate for anyone to break the charge port on their brand new accessory. Spiders can be serious business.
Good point. I have an extension cable so mine extends about 10' in total. Perfect for charging DS4s on the couch next to me or the aim controller when I'm frantically backpeddling away from spiders.

bumpkin

My parcel just arrived. Damn this controller feels great. Lightweight, easy to handle with one hand, but not cheap at all.

Sony's hardware team has been on fire since the launch of PS4.
Speaking of which, have you noticed that if you hold the gun far enough away from your body, the in-game character switches to a one-handed grip?

First spider encounter and I screamed like I was about to die. Fuck? How much worse does it get?
Oh just you wait...

Crash331

I'm not sure everyone realizes this, I've watched several reviewers and they didn't notice, but when you press the left stick forward, you go in the direction that the Aim controller is pointed. I've seen multiple people struggle with the default controls and turn on the right stick turning, and the whole time they had the Aim pointed down at the ground.

I find playing in a spinning desk chair is pretty good if you want to sit. Enemies often don't come from behind you, but it makes it much easier to see behind you or walk backwards.

When I first encountered the little spiders I was like, "ok, these arn't so bad". Then, when there were a lot of enemies coming at me at once I saw them start jumping at me for the first time and it almost gave me a heart attack. Way scarier than the next two enemy types for sure; reminds me of the Alien facehuggers lol.

Still wish I could move and turn with ds4 left stick and aim with the move controller..... Might get the aim controller though instead

Really like the straight forward mechanics it's clear what to do and fun to do the puzzleish fights

Good game design requires little thought and flows well with intuition especially with an action game

Mine showed up as 2/3rds charged in the UI when I registered it. Then I played for about 2.5 hours, which brought it down to 1/3rd. Can't say for sure but I am pretty confident that you will have a lot of hours when fully charged, probably more than a DualShock4.

That's awesome to hear! Thanks for the info. I'll probably play this in a few two-hour sittings anyways.

PrinceKee

The game is just okay. I'm having fun with the aim controller, but it's just not that killer app liked I wanted. It's very generic and the whole novelty is the aim controller. I think my inability to truly experience vr may be the reason I'm just kind of meh on Farpoint. Meaning I don't feel anything in vr. I don't feel like sensation of movement or feeling liked I'm in the world. Hopefully the game picks up soon. Right now I enjoyed until dawn, Batman, and the heist in vr world's. I needed a new vr game though. I'll probably buy Dick Wilde and everybody keeps talking...

kaqsz9n0a5yy.jpg

Uh huh...

gafneo

Banned
OK guys, don't be fooled. Bought the thing, spent hours adjusting cam for tracking. This is the failed Kinect all over again. The aim controller is for people with basketball courts for rooms. It doesn't work. Play Resident Evil 7 for your hardcore gaming VR needs.

gafneo

Banned
Why wouldn't they make more Aim controllers?

I can't find one anywhere now in California.
Because it sucks and it's not promoted because the mass market doesn't have time to do all kinds of technical configuration to get things to play right.

D23

OK guys, don't be fooled. Bought the thing, spent hours adjusting cam for tracking. This is the failed Kinect all over again. The aim controller is for people with basketball courts for rooms. It doesn't work. Play Resident Evil 7 for your hardcore gaming VR needs.

i have no problem with the tracking what so ever and i don't have a basketball courts living rooms. play closer to the camera.

xillyriax

move up around ~5-6 feet from the camera

People have been playing it just fine sitting down in front of their TV.

Obviously it sucks that your experience has been a frustrating one, but there's ample evidence in this thread that your concerns are not the norm. My Aim has had zero issues and I am standing just a few feet from the camera.

Dont be fooled by all the people having no problems like you are describing at all? Just because it is NOT working correctly for you, doesn't mean everyone else is just trying to fool people lol.

Freeman76

No worries.

There's always Dick Wilde, Brookhaven and Arizona Sunshine (next month) to scratch that AIM controller itch. One of those may be more up your street if Farpoint isn't really doing it for you.

Yeah I took it back man, no way is this worth £75 of my money. The aim controller is pretty good and I will definitely pick it up when its in a cheap deal later in the year.

Me and 2 other friends have had zero issues with the Aim controller.

I would go as far to say that the tracking has been so good that I have felt like an absolute badass with a shotgun in both Farpoint and Dick Wilde.

I play in a area 1,50 wide (from bookshelf to bed) and 2,5 meters away from the camera. Not a single problem with any VR game so far, and the Aim Controller works perfectly.

Nah man, your set-up is just borked or something. I have a tiny ass room and I configured everything in under 2 minutes. Works flawlessly. Sorry it didn't work for you, but I think telling others it's like kinect is a tad overzealous.

ryseing

I've had no issues in my dorm bedroom. Your experience is clearly the unfortunate exception based on what I've read here and on the PSVR sub.

I have zero issues either in a 2x2 metres play area.

And holy crap, I made it through the first level - a couple screams and heart attacks later.

Graphics-wise, I think this is best looking VR game on my Pro as well, on par with RIGS.

I don't see it. I have just my height , right/left and something else.

Played 25" I had To go. Amazing but saving is a big annoyance. I'm losing progress if I don't finish the mission ?

Thats my only complaint so far, I have no idea when its safe to leave and not lose progress, like no friggin idea whatsoever lol.

I'm 6ft from the camera (camera is just below eye level) which places me near the back of the playing space/grid and it plays perfectly.

I'm not sure everyone realizes this, I've watched several reviewers and they didn't notice, but when you press the left stick forward, you go in the direction that the Aim controller is pointed. I've seen multiple people struggle with the default controls and turn on the right stick turning, and the whole time they had the Aim pointed down at the ground.
I wish you could turn this off honestly. I don't need it and in the heat of the moment it can trip you up. If you get used to the controls you should be able to move and shoot in different directions.

That has not been my experience with this game or the aim controller at all.

gafneo

Banned
Nah man, your set-up is just borked or something. I have a tiny ass room and I configured everything in under 2 minutes. Works flawlessly. Sorry it didn't work for you, but I think telling others it's like kinect is a tad overzealous.
Yeah you guys were right. I was just overreacting. Game insisted the cam needed to be on the TV. I kept trying to raise it on higher shelves and nothing worked. I moved my coaches and sacrificed tons of space, still said I was out of play area. What finally got it working was a box on the floor that I put under my tv and shelf. Still, what if I had no bottom shelf? There needs to be an option for wider views. It is not competent to fullfill every gamer. The Wii was never this much work.

Overall great game. Feels like Starship Troopers but not as cool. Sony Tristar needs to put out a ST on PS4 desperately.

Yeah you guys were right. I was just overreacting. Game insisted the cam needed to be on the TV. I kept trying to raise it on higher shelves and nothing worked. I moved my coaches and sacrificed tons of space, still said I was out of play area. What finally got it working was a box on the floor that I put under my tv and shelf. Still, what if I had no bottom shelf? There needs to be an option for wider views. It is not competent to fullfill every gamer. The Wii was never this much work.

Overall great game. Feels like Starship Troopers but not as cool. Sony Tristar needs to put out a ST on PS4 desperately.

You're not wrong about the camera placement being an issue depending on your setup as well as light control but if you can sort those out its almost always the issue. I bought a mic stand to mount the camera to that I can move, raise/lower, tilt, etc. to solve that problem and it really helped.

I find that certain games need the camera angled differently or needs to be higher/lower. Shooting gallery games need the gun right near the middle of the camera viewing field and doesnt need to see the ground or your feet etc, yet a game like Holoball needs a much different view of the play area.

my living room is small. I have to stand right next to my couch (almost on it - with me leaning backwards) to play batmanAA, and I cannot play holoball.

I can play this easily.

Crash331

Sounds like you are an anomaly. I play in my modestly sized living room and sit in an office chair about 3 feet from my TV. My play space is probably 6ft x 8 ft.

Btw, the first boss I fought last night was fucking thrilling. The scale of it. Just wow. Insane.

Oi, devs, you guys need a boss rush mode to get right to it. Haven't been this wowed in ages. It's the best way to showcase VR and wow users.

gafneo

Banned
Not sure if you guys noticed, but Strafe on PS4 works with the Farpoint aim controller. No motion support but plays like a normal controller. Tested it on other non vr games and doesn't work. Maybe only supports 2017 games?

Not sure if you guys noticed, but Strafe on PS4 works with the Farpoint aim controller. No motion support but plays like a normal controller. Tested it on other non vr games and doesn't work. Maybe only supports 2017 games?

how do you strafe? I just run around in quickly. lol.

Top Bottom