• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fatal Frame 4 revealed

le.phat

This series would benefit so much more from a bigger visual impact, then flahlight waggle controls. what a shame.

Viewt

Mr. Pointy said:
So...

Will this increase the chances of a Eternal Darkness sequel?
I don't really see why it would. Silicon Knights has absolutely nothing to do with this. If you're just implying that Fatal Frame being in the horror genre might inspire Dyack to bring it back, that's reaching a bit, too. It's not like this is the first horror game to hit a Nintendo console since the split between them and Nintendo.

Lee N said:
it's quite obviously 'Zero ~Tsukihami no Kamen~' - especially considering that's what the furigana says.

one of the readings for 零 is, indeed, ぜろ
Prequel?

Viewt said:
If you're just implying that Fatal Frame being in the horror genre might inspire Dyack to bring it back.
I was kind of hoping for that. I don't really expect it - my ED response was sort of tounge-in-cheek.

Yeeessss. Loved the first two games, third one.. not so much. It's even published by Nintendo? That's pretty cool. I wonder if they'll keep the Project Zero name for PAL regions.

Lee N

Membre
MarkMacD said:
1UP called it back in Sept.....(except for the Nintendo stuff, that is:D )
What exactly did you call then? That the series would get a sequel?

Aren't you quite the nostradamus..

icecream

Public Health Threat
Lee N said:
it's quite obviously 'Zero ~Tsukihami no Kamen~' - especially considering that's what the furigana says.

one of the readings for 零 is, indeed, ぜろ
It's also stated as Zero on the official site and the series is known as Project Zero in Europe. Go figure.

The info is still right though. :p

Reading without thinking is not good for you

le.phat said:
This series would benefit so much more from a bigger visual impact, then flahlight waggle controls. what a shame.
The series was never up there with RE and SH in terms of visuals, you don't really see much as it's usually very dark. I think Wii-level visuals are perfectly adequate, and they can do something interesting with the Wii remote here. A higher level of interactivity in a survival horror game can greatly affect immersion as well, not just visuals.

Infernal Monkey said:
I wonder if they'll keep the Project Zero name for PAL regions.
They better. That's what I'm used to.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Sold. More Grasshopper, yes. <3

:lol at people already saying it would be so much better on the 360 or PS3, you guys never fail.

TreasureHunterG said:
The way Grasshopper is going now is somewhat similar to Monolith before being purchased.
Grasshopper aren't really attached to any major publishers, and Suda is much more platform agnostic.

legend166

Nice. Nintendo reaching out to Japanese developers again.

Should be interesting to see what impact Suda 51 will have, and how he'll work with lots of money, haha.

stilgar

le.phat said:

southpark_tearlick.gif

Generic gif for a genericly boring complaint.

Lee N

Membre
TJ Spyke said:
Back at TGS it was confirmed that Fatal Frame IV would be for the Wii. Nintendo publishing it is new though.
If it was confirmed already, they didn't "call" anything.. they just iterated what they'd heard. There's a difference.

Polari

Pretty good of Nintendo to step in and publish this. For Grasshopper's sake I hope it's a move that translates into sales.

After NMH, I'm all up for FF4 (This also reminds, I still need to play FF3). Also, it would make an awesome purchase. Suda's craziness+ Nintendo type polish=Win.

damn i was really hoping for some next gen graphics on this game. But ill be happy with the Wii version. I scrary game with a DECENT combat system YES PLEASE!

Rowsdower

It such a shame this is developed on the Wii. I liked the series quite a lot back then. Although the "real world" stuff in FF3 was annoying since it pulled you out of the "scary" world.
Crimson Butterflies was really enjoyable, especially the beautiful ending song. Ah, such fond memories.

Kabuki Waq said:
damn i was really hoping for some next gen graphics on this game. But ill be happy with the Wii version. I scrary game with a DECENT combat system YES PLEASE!

There is no combat whatsoever in the FF games. Don't know about this one though.

le.phat

stilgar said:
southpark_tearlick.gif

Generic gif for a genericly boring complaint.

damn straight i'm bitter over this. I feel that the means of control cannot expand the horror experience when the visual impact remains unchanged. I want my horror games with more convincing visuals and incredible sound, not silly control alternatives. Its not that hard to understand is it ?

cedric69

Looks good. It's probably prerendered backgrounds but, considering Wii capabilities, this could be a wise move to keep up in the visual department. It kinda reminds me of what Rare started doing on SNES, back then, with prerendered pseudo3D stuff.

I think it's a good signal from Nintendo. These sort of things need to increase in number for them to become a serious player outside of the non-gamers segment. Otherwise they become another "GameCube has Resident Evil exclusive" thing.

wsippel said:
They do. Nintendo also owns the insanity effects.

rather bizarely they still part own SK too

anyway back on topic, this game looks lush havent played the others but looking forward to this

Fuu

le.phat said:
damn straight i'm bitter over this. I feel that the means of control cannot expand the horror experience when the visual impact remains unchanged. I want my horror games with more convincing visuals and incredible sound, not silly control alternatives. Its not that hard to understand is it ?
Are you a fan of the Fatal Frame series and liked the earlier games?

test_account

XP-39C²
Lee N said:

one of the readings for &#38646; is, indeed, &#12380;&#12429;

Rei also means zero though, so i guess you can say both (if that was what you corrected in his post, correct me if i'm wrong. He did forget the last "n" in kamen though :p).

Dascu

le.phat said:
1) There are still horror games coming to HD systems. Stuff like Condemned and Silent Hill.
2) The previous FF games were already really scary on the PS2. I really don't think super HD graphics would improve the experience all that much.
3) The Wiimote is just perfect as a flashlight and camera, two main elements of the FF series. Fear has physical effects on people, and with the Wiimote, that could be used pretty well. The player's actions (like a shaky hand) would be reflected in the game, which could have a very immersive effect (just like shaky camera's in horror movies).

Gagaman

le.phat said:
By any chance have you tried Resident Evil 4 Wii edition yet? That was defiantly more than just "silly control alternatives" and that was just a port. I preferred the controls in that so much that I wouldn't mind a down-graded port of Resi Evil 5 if it had that control scheme. But each to their own.

le.phat said:
Look, I too would have preferred for the game to have the usual visual upgrade (this gen imo won't be thoroughly satisfying in that sense, because I totally think the Wii remote is step forward in the way of interactivity too), there's no denying how important visuals are to this genre, what I don't understand is how incredibly close minded you are about the possibilities and promise of a new control scheme.

Eitherway, I'd imagine most FF/PZ fans would just be happy that we're getting another entry. Hopefully this will be as fresh as exciting as the first two.

Durante

Alaluef said:
Are you a fan of the Fatal Frame series and liked the earlier games?
I am, and I'd also rather see it on a more graphically capable platform. But I'm happy we get a new game in the series at all and will surely buy it (if Nintendo ever sees fit to grant us Europeans a release, that is)

Neo C.

le.phat said:
The thing is: Nintendo is willing to spend money for this title, while other companies don't feel like to spend 10-20 million for a niche title.

When you give Tecmo 20 million for the development, I bet they would happily develop FF as a 360/PS3 title. :p

farnham

Banned
Nintendo is buying IPs confirmed!

But as a hardcore RE fan I could care less about another survival horror game

As a hardcore Suda 51 fan however... :D

farnham

Banned
Viewt said:
I don't really see why it would. Silicon Knights has absolutely nothing to do with this. If you're just implying that Fatal Frame being in the horror genre might inspire Dyack to bring it back, that's reaching a bit, too. It's not like this is the first horror game to hit a Nintendo console since the split between them and Nintendo.
Yes but Dyack said that he would consider developing a ED sequel.. Also he said that he is already planning to work on Wii

Kevtones

Fatal Frame = scariest series, easily
SUDA = the fucking man
Grasshopper = NOM NOM NOM
Nintendo = design and polish

This has the potential to be fucking awesome :D

Magicpaint said:
Look, I too would have preferred for the game to have the usual visual upgrade (this gen imo won't be thoroughly satisfying in that sense, because I totally think the Wii remote is step forward in the way of interactivity too), there's no denying how important visuals are to this genre, what I don't understand is how incredibly close minded you are about the possibilities and promise of a new control scheme.

Eitherway, I'd imagine most FF/PZ fans would just be happy that we're getting another entry. Hopefully this will be as fresh as exciting as the first two.
Don't forget sounds/music. Sometimes that can be more important than graphics.

Fuu

Durante said:
I am, and I'd also rather see it on a more graphically capable platform. But I'm happy we get a new game in the series at all and will surely buy it (if Nintendo ever sees fit to grant us Europeans a release, that is)
Yup, this is how I think fans of the series should face this.

It's just that whenever a game for the Wii (or DS even) is announced, many people that wouldn't even be interested in playing the game in the first place start bitching about graphics.

Not saying that's the case of le.phat, he may be a fan of FF/PZ and is really bummed that the game isnt' doing a graphical leap, although I can't understand how he wouldn't be happy that the series is getting a new installment.

Top Bottom