• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fatal Frame 4 revealed

TJ Spyke

Viewt said:
Do they? This news story lead to believe that they could make it on any platform, but I could be mistaken.

They would have to be spirtual sequels only (the way BioShock is a spirtual sequel to the System Shock games since EA owns the System Shock IP). You can even search the USPTO website yourself and see that Nintendo owns the trademark "Eternal Darkness".

Amir0x said:
shiz, I'm exactly the opposite

<if> pre-rendered backgrounds <then> take a dump on the CD and run it over with a lawnmower
I don't think it'll be pre-rendered. The last 3 games weren't and I imagine this one will be no different.

JDSN

Banned
Heres an idea, dont feed the fucking trolls, any person that has been following the series (especially its sales) knows that the only reason why this is being made is because of the lower dev costs of the Wiii, HD consoles are too much of a risk for this kind of franchise.

Also, HOLY SHIT SUDA+NINTENDO+TECMO!1 CAME-A-TON!

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I'm honestly surprised at the complaints about it being on the Wii. We knew this months ago, why are people still getting uppity over it?

icecream

Public Health Threat
test_account said:
Rei also means zero though, so i guess you can say both (if that was what you corrected in his post, correct me if i'm wrong. He did forget the last "n" in kamen though :p).
It can be read as rei or zero, but in the context of the series, it is indeed Zero. And Kamen was a typo, as I got the translation right. :D

dr3upmushroom said:
Wow, this thread attracted some of the worst Neofaqs has to offer.
Happens in every FF4 thread.

farnham

Banned
JDSN said:
Heres an idea, dont feed the fucking trolls, any person that has been following the series (especially its sales) knows that the only reason why this is being made is because of the lower dev costs of the Wiii, HD consoles are too much of a risk for this kind of franchise.

Also, HOLY SHIT SUDA+NINTENDO+TECMO!1
uh.... how about this..

Nintendo bought the IP

speedpop said:
I'm honestly surprised at the complaints about it being on the Wii. We knew this months ago, why are people still getting uppity over it?

Thats when the theory was... The real version will come to the next gen consoles... the wii is getting crappy gaidens

wsippel

Banned
TJ Spyke said:
They would have to be spirtual sequels only (the way BioShock is a spirtual sequel to the System Shock games since EA owns the System Shock IP). You can even search the USPTO website yourself and see that Nintendo owns the trademark "Eternal Darkness".
Without the insanity effects, it wouldn't even be a spiritual sequel. And Nintendo patented that concept.

test_account

XP-39C²
icecream said:
It can be read as rei or zero, but in the context of the series, it is indeed Zero. And Kamen was a typo, as I got the translation right. :D

Ok, thanks :) I know the hiragana says zero, but would it be wrong to say rei as well?

TJ Spyke

Wow, I am not shocked by much in video games but I am really surprised Nintendo bought the IP since none of the previous games have appeared on Nintendo systems. I guess they must have really wanted it.

Nintendo buying the IP (true?) could be good for the series and mature games on Nintendo's current platforms.

First party games always get a great push on Nintendo systems.

farnham

Banned
Mr. Pointy said:
Now if only they'd buy Baten Kaitos and the Chrono series IPs. It'd be nice to get games from those franchises this gen.
they bought Baten Kaitos and they bought the studio

Oooh... so, let me get this straight:

Nintendo bought the "Zero/Fatal Frame/Project Zero" IP from Tecmo and are now (partially? wholly?) funding a Tecmo team with Suda 51 as co-director?

Blimey...

farnham said:
Nintendo bought the studio that contained the BK/Chrono Cross team. I haven't seen any documents regarding them buying the BK IP - them publishing BKO aside.

Chris Michael said:
What on earth?

Why would Nintendo want Fatal Frame? Of all the IP's to buy... wow. If they wanted to make a horror game for Wii, get Grasshopper to make Eternal Darkness II.

Why not? It's a highly-regarded series that could have huge appeal if given a strong push.

farnham

Banned
&#12486;&#12463;&#12514; corporation (head office: The Tokyo Chiyoda Ku, Representative President: Yasuda virtue &#24051;, following &#12486;&#12463;&#12514;) with the Nintendo Co. corporation (head office: Kyoto prefecture Kyoto city, Representative President: Satoru Iwata, following Nintendo Co.), tech &#12514; developed the up-to-date work of the fear adventure "zero" series which represents &#12486;&#12463;&#12514; as a Wii &#65390; private software, Nintendo Co. the publisher (the sale origin) with announced that the joint project which becomes starts and the &#12414; did. The worldwide most fearfully real fear adventure game, to appear finally with Wii, as for the publisher Nintendo Co.!

' Zero? Mask of eclipse of the moon? ' (&#12380; &#12429;? As for being attached the straw raincoat pot it is? ) It is the up-to-date work of the real fear adventure game ' zero ' series which &#12486;&#12463;&#12514; is proud. It is felt with only Wii in addition to the unique fear impression of trembling in the world, Wii remote control was utilized ' the fear body which touches &#39443; ' to gather as the new essence 2008 summer it directs to sale and it is in the midst of ardent developing. Publisher (sale origin) Nintendo Co.. Anew the &#38920; rice field hardness one person (corporation grasshopper &#12510;&#12491;&#12501;&#12449;&#12463;&#12481;&#12517;&#12450;) it receives opening departure Keisuke Kikuchi of the producer of this series (&#12486;&#12463;&#12514;), Shibata sincerity of the director (tech &#12514;) to in addition, as the director Nintendo Co. supervises. Very to assure the further brand improvement in the entire world "of the zero" series it can do the joint project of Nintendo Co., to &#12486;&#12463;&#12514; it is most well project. It is born anew with Wii and changes please expectation in the "zero up-to-date work".

* The zero ' series while the camera "projective machine" which, starts projecting spirit in the hand, searching waste village which goes out from the Japanese house and the map which had become the deserted house is the fear action adventure game which fights with spirit concerning ' the zero ' series '. The prayer becomes the protagonist of the story and uses the "projective machine" and fights with spirit, keeps solving puzzle. Gradually, it soaks, the kind of insecurity which climbs, the irritation, the truth such as the lonely impression &#65381; &#65381; &#65381; it can experience "fear". In 2001 December ' the zero of 1st work? Zero? Since being sold ' in Japan, it is sold even in the United States and Europe, the game characteristic and unique image expression are high appraised. * Company name and the product name which are stated are registered trade mark or trade mark of each company. * Wii is registered trade mark of the Nintendo Co. corporation.

Neo C.

TJ Spyke said:
Wow, I am not shocked by much in video games but I am really surprised Nintendo bought the IP since none of the previous games have appeared on Nintendo systems. I guess they must have really wanted it.
The IP is probably dirt cheap, it's a niche game, therefore the only option is PSP or Wii. Nintendo normally doesn't like to spend too much money.

Whatever, it's funny how the community is reacting. Before buying the IP and spending money for third party titles: "Ah, man, Nintendo is a cheapass, invest some money FFS!"
And now: "Well, fuck! Damn your moneyhatting! =("

AntMurda

Nintendo produces every game it publishes outside of the rare situations when they internationally or domestically publish a game released by another third party.

ZeroTolerance

Not surprising. Their pockets have gotten deep enough for them to secure third party exclusives thanks to the Wii sales. Am sure more of this stuff is yet to come.

farnham

Banned
looks like they bought the rights to sell... (which in case of nintendo often leads to the trademark)

so technically they did not buy the IP... yet..

sorry bout messing up.. (damn korean translators..)

edit again :

Title: ' Zero? Mask of eclipse of the moon? ' (&#12380; &#12429;? As for being attached the straw raincoat pot it is? )
Corresponding type: Wii
genre: Fear adventure
CERO: Examination
schedule sale due date: 2008 summer
price: Undecided
copyright: (C) 2008 Nintendo/TECMO and LTD.

Seems like it will be a joint IP from now on or something

icecream

Public Health Threat
farnham said:
Babelfished Stuff
So where's the part that says Nintendo bought the IP? That's just a rough generation of what I previously stated...

EDIT: I see. Secondhand news strikes again. :p

farnham said:
...Did you read this thread? It's been stated that Nintendo has publishing and joint duties on this specific title. Of course they'd have some copyright to it.

Achtius

Mr. Pointy said:
Nintendo bought the studio that contained the BK/Chrono Cross team. I haven't seen any documents regarding them buying the BK IP - them publishing BKO aside.

I thought they got the BK IP :(

First, a Fatal Frame 4 is something I've been waiting anxiously for this generation.

Second, is Nintendo actually funding new game releases? This is exactly what they should have been doing since launch. I am very happy if this new Nintendo is this aggressive. I guess this is the fruit of Iwata saying core gamers would get bored by casual games only.

farnham

Banned
icecream said:
So where's the part that says Nintendo bought the IP? That's just a rough generation of what I previously stated...

EDIT: I see. Secondhand news strikes again. :p
they state as copyright : Nintendo and Tecmo...

its a question if they only mean this one product or if they mean the series as a whole..

but its still kinda weird that they state Nintendo as the co - owner of the copyright..
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Shh, its quite funny to see farnham ignorance spreading.

Not really.. look at the post above

TJ Spyke

Damn, I just wasted 15 mintues downloading the Japanese font update for Adobe so I could read the source.

Oh well, at least Fatal Frame IV is exclusive to Wii.

Neo C.

TJ Spyke said:
Don't get me wrong. I am happy they bought the IP. I am just shocked that they bought this particular IP.
I didn't adress my statement to you. But it looks like Nintendo haven't bought the IP.

Zoc

Has anyone here played "Michigan"? It was an early effort from Suda51, not sure it was ever released outside of Japan. Anyway, it was a survival horror FPS where you controlled a camera instead of a gun. You followed around a news reporter investigating freaky events, and influenced events by pointing things out with your camera. Being a Suda51 game, you got extra points for panty shots and gore.

I'm sure seeing that on his resume is why Grasshopper got this.

farnham said:
farnham said:
Shh, its quite funny to see farnham ignorance spreading.
No?
farnham said:
The fact that the IP now belongs to Nintendo.. pretty much means that they wont allow it on 360 or PS3...

so there goes the Fatal frame gaiden on Wii and the REAL Fatal frame on next gen theory :lol :lol
farnham said:
uh.... how about this..

Nintendo bought the IP

Thats when the theory was... The real version will come to the next gen consoles... the wii is getting crappy gaidens
farnham said:
farnham said:
&#12486;&#12463;&#12514; corporation (head office: The Tokyo Chiyoda Ku, Representative President: Yasuda virtue &#24051;, following &#12486;&#12463;&#12514;) with the Nintendo Co. corporation (head office: Kyoto prefecture Kyoto city, Representative President: Satoru Iwata, following Nintendo Co.), tech &#12514; developed the up-to-date work of the fear adventure "zero" series which represents &#12486;&#12463;&#12514; as a Wii &#65390; private software, Nintendo Co. the publisher (the sale origin) with announced that the joint project which becomes starts and the &#12414; did. The worldwide most fearfully real fear adventure game, to appear finally with Wii, as for the publisher Nintendo Co.!

' Zero? Mask of eclipse of the moon? ' (&#12380; &#12429;? As for being attached the straw raincoat pot it is? ) It is the up-to-date work of the real fear adventure game ' zero ' series which &#12486;&#12463;&#12514; is proud. It is felt with only Wii in addition to the unique fear impression of trembling in the world, Wii remote control was utilized ' the fear body which touches &#39443; ' to gather as the new essence 2008 summer it directs to sale and it is in the midst of ardent developing. Publisher (sale origin) Nintendo Co.. Anew the &#38920; rice field hardness one person (corporation grasshopper &#12510;&#12491;&#12501;&#12449;&#12463;&#12481;&#12517;&#12450;) it receives opening departure Keisuke Kikuchi of the producer of this series (&#12486;&#12463;&#12514;), Shibata sincerity of the director (tech &#12514;) to in addition, as the director Nintendo Co. supervises. Very to assure the further brand improvement in the entire world "of the zero" series it can do the joint project of Nintendo Co., to &#12486;&#12463;&#12514; it is most well project. It is born anew with Wii and changes please expectation in the "zero up-to-date work".

* The zero ' series while the camera "projective machine" which, starts projecting spirit in the hand, searching waste village which goes out from the Japanese house and the map which had become the deserted house is the fear action adventure game which fights with spirit concerning ' the zero ' series '. The prayer becomes the protagonist of the story and uses the "projective machine" and fights with spirit, keeps solving puzzle. Gradually, it soaks, the kind of insecurity which climbs, the irritation, the truth such as the lonely impression &#65381; &#65381; &#65381; it can experience "fear". In 2001 December ' the zero of 1st work? Zero? Since being sold ' in Japan, it is sold even in the United States and Europe, the game characteristic and unique image expression are high appraised. * Company name and the product name which are stated are registered trade mark or trade mark of each company. * Wii is registered trade mark of the Nintendo Co. corporation.
farnham said:
looks like they bought the rights to sell... (which in case of nintendo often leads to the trademark)

so technically they did not buy the IP... yet..

sorry bout messing up.. (damn korean translators..)

edit again :

Title: ' Zero? Mask of eclipse of the moon? ' (&#12380; &#12429;? As for being attached the straw raincoat pot it is? )
Corresponding type: Wii
genre: Fear adventure
CERO: Examination
schedule sale due date: 2008 summer
price: Undecided

farnham said:
they state as copyright : Nintendo and Tecmo...

its a question if they only mean this one product or if they mean the series as a whole..

but its still kinda weird that they state Nintendo as the co - owner of the copyright..

Yes, its really funny.

TJ Spyke

Zoc said:
Has anyone here played "Michigan"? It was an early effort from Suda51, not sure it was ever released outside of Japan. Anyway, it was a survival horror FPS where you controlled a camera instead of a gun. You followed around a news reporter investigating freaky events, and influenced events by pointing things out with your camera. Being a Suda51 game, you got extra points for panty shots and gore.

I'm sure seeing that on his resume is why Grasshopper got this.

It was released in Europe as "Michigan: Escape from Hell". Never released in North America though.

farnham

Banned
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
No?

Yes, its really funny.

Look at the japanese publishing law

(Publishing of works)
Article 3. (1) A work has been "published" when copies of the work have been reproduced and distributed by a person who has the right mentioned in Article 21 or with the authorization of such person ("authorization" means the authorization to exploit a work under the provision of Article 63, paragraph (1); the same shall apply hereinafter in this and next Chapters, except Article 4bis and Article 63) or by a person in favour of whom the right of publication mentioned in Article 79 has been established, in such sufficient quantities as satisfy the reasonable requirements of the public, having regard to the nature of the work (without prejudice to the right of a person who has the right mentioned in Article 26 or Article 26bis, paragraph (1) or Article 26ter).
(2) A work shall be considered as having been "published" when copies of its translation have been reproduced and distributed, in such quantities as provided for in the preceding paragraph, by a person who has the same right as that mentioned in Article 21 in accordance with the provisions of Article 28 or with the authorization of such person (without prejudice to the right of a person who has the same right as that mentioned in Article 26, Article 26bis, paragraph (1) or Article 26ter in accordance with the provision of Article 28).
(3) A person who would have the right mentioned in any of the preceding two paragraphs if his work were protected under this Law or a person who obtained the authorization to exploit the work from such person shall be considered to be a person who has such right or a person who obtained the authorization from such person, and the provisions of these paragraphs shall apply with respect to those persons.

Article 63. (1) The copyright owner may grant another person authorization to exploit the work.
(2) Any person who obtained such authorization shall be entitled to exploit the work in the manner and to the extent so authorized.

(3) The right of exploitation thus authorized may not be transferred without the consent of the copyright owner.
(4) Unless otherwise stipulated in a contract, such authorization to broadcast or diffuse by wire a work shall not imply the authorization to make sound or visual recordings of the work.
(5)The provision of Article 23, paragraph(1) shall not apply to such making transmittable of a work, by a person who has obtained such authorization with respect to the making transmittable of the work, as being made repeatedly or by means of another interactive transmission server in the manner and to the extent so authorized, provided that such manner and extent are not concerned with the frequency of the making transmittable of a work or an interactive transmission server to be used for the making transmittable of a work.

In other words... In japan you have the option to publish something without having the copyright.. (but the authorization through.. lets say paying loyalty fees)

Why would Nintendo be stated as a co - owner of the copyright..

Yes they did buy the copyright.. its a question if it applies to this particular product or the series as a whole

farnham

Banned
grandjedi6 said:
Can a japan-gaffer come in and tell us whats going on
I wrote that Nintendo bought the IP "fatal frame"

the pdf that some korean guys stated was the proof of this whole thing only had the mentioning of the copyrights.. (well copyrights are a type of IP but whatever)

so its not clear if its for the series as a whole or only this one specific title..

Top Bottom