• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fatal Frame 4 revealed

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I really hope it's real-time shots I'm looking at, but yeah...kind of hesitant for now. :p
In any case, I'm really looking forward to this, as I loved the first two games (and haven't actually played the third, which I should). I consider it one of the best horror series out there. Will also be interesting to see what Suda 51 adds to the project.

jarrod

Banned
Wow, first Monster Hunter, now Fatal Frame... wonder which 'core' PlayStation/Xbox series Nintendo's going to snatch next for their blue ocean wonder? :D

harSon

Banned
All of those yelling bitter tears better buy the fucking game :lol A lot of you scream it and then end up not purchasing the game.... I may purchase the game although I haven't played Fatal Frame since the first...

Jammy

Banned
Who cares what system it's on? It's a joint project between f-ing Suda 51, Nintendo, and the original producer and director of the series. It's not like it's going to turn out shit just because it's on Wii.

HUR-HURR SSBB would be better on PS3/360, too.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Like most threads, we seem to have more people pre-emptively claiming bitter tears than people actually exhibiting such tears.

Anyways, I doubt Suda is going to be too involved with this one.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
inthezone said:
Really? Im quite sure there was an excellent game there but I couldnt stand all the backtracking. I thought it was worse than in Silent Hill 4, where you backtracked the whole game for the second half.

The story and CG were top notch from what I saw.

Fatal Frame II (Xbox version) is my favorite. The addition of the FPV was the best thing that ever happened to the series. It made so much scarier AND wouldnt make you feel like you were walking slower than a turtle. I was quite bummed when it was removed in FF3.
Back tracking never bothered me in FF3 and I enjoyed the trips to the real world as well.

I never tried the XBOX version of FFII, though. The first person view adds that much, eh? Hmm...

harSon

Banned
schuelma said:
Like most threads, we seem to have more people pre-emptively claiming bitter tears than people actually exhibiting such tears.

And when push comes to shove they'll most like not purchase the game :p

ksamedi

jarrod said:
Wow, first Monster Hunter, now Fatal Frame... wonder which 'core' PlayStation/Xbox series Nintendo's going to snatch next for their blue ocean wonder? :D

Suikoden and Kingdom Hearts come to mind.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
schuelma said:
I'm really curious about what his involvement will bring to the game, though. I wonder if they'll let him implement anything that's not usual to the series (or if he will want to).

I hope there's an interview soon.

Dascu

Alaluef said:
I'm really curious about what his involvement will bring to the game, though. I wonder if they'll let him implement anything that's not usual to the series (or if he will want too).

I hope there's an interview soon.
I hope he puts in a Travis (Touchdown) ghost.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
What's with all the "would be better on X platform" posts and no bannage? I expected more carnage in here. :(

Dolphin

Banned
I hope this one has a better written than 2 (the one I played)...something other than "two girls go to visit a childhood play spot and discover a terrible secret about a cursed town..."

Something about an investigative reporter or a student photographer visiting a supposed haunted building or town or whatever would be much better. I don't know about the others, but Crimson Butterfly's storyline was really contrived. Horror games should have a level of realism--in horror, the believable makes the unbelievable much more frightening.

Also, if the camera's flash just stunned the ghosts instead of the camera capturing them, it would be much more horrifying. Especially if stunned ghosts get angry and violent (or react in other ways). Monsters that you can kill are much less scary than monsters that you don't know how to kill, Japanese horror revolves around seemingly invincible monsters.

schuelma

IGN article with a bit more info:

http://wii.ign.com/articles/848/848539p1.html

Although a two minute CG trailer was shown at the press conference, Tecmo kept the specifics to itself. Kikuchi did reveal that the key words for the game are "memory" and "moon," and "mask," and that the image color for the game is yellow. He also stated that he believes the Wiimote and the horror genre to be a perfect fit.

Nintendo exec Shinji Hatano was in attendance at the event and said "Nintendo will be handling sales, and we intend to actively promote [the game]." Hatano also confirmed a planned Japanese release for some time this Summer.

CG should have been expected. I'm not sure how anyone thought that was in game or that it would go the antiquated REmake route which doesn't even make that much sense for the series.

That Nintendo comment is shocking. I really really hope this is a sign of Nintendo's upcoming strategy in Japan.

Vieo

I hope this game has awesome flashlight gameplay mechanics and the game turns out to be awesome in general. I want it to sell over a million copies so Konami will gouge their own eyes out while screaming "We should of done that with Silent Hill Wii!!!".

Dolphin

Banned
Vieo said:
I hope this game has awesome flashlight gameplay mechanics and the game turns out to be awesome in general. I want it to sell over a million copies so Konami will gouge their own eyes out while screaming "We should of done that with Silent Hill Wii!!!".
If the controls were like Mario Galaxy, but with the pointer pointing the flashlight, it could work really well.

TunaLover

schuelma said:
I'm sure he'll have some involvement, but given the fact that he is also planning a 360 game, and that FFIV also has its director, I doubt he will be too involved.
That's right, I'm sure it's more involved in the next 360 game, and the Wii secret project.

dark10x

So it was indeed CG.

Hopefully this doesn't end up looking worse than the previous 3 games. :\ With Grasshopper behind this, I'm afraid that might occur (as the previous Fatal Frame titles wipe the floor with No More Heroes, technically).

Nintendo locked down the Fatal Frame IP and MS got NG2. I wonder if this will pressure Sony to lock down a 3rd party IP.
Kingdom Hearts

schuelma

dark10x said:
So it was indeed CG.

Hopefully this doesn't end up looking worse than the previous 3 games. :\ With Grasshopper behind this, I'm afraid that might occur (as the previous Fatal Frame titles wipe the floor with No More Heroes, technically).

I'm guessing the budget might be a *tad* bigger than for NMH.

i can see it working really well with the wiimote,imagine the possibility,the wiimote+nunchuck could be used like one of those old cameras,or a combination of camera+flashlight....although it would have been really nice to see a graphically superior fatal frame...

Neo C.

grandjedi6 said:
Tecmo degrading to developer only?
Safer bet, I guess. Producing next-gen titles is costly, and Tecmo isn't that big. Though I think they will still publish some games on their own.

dark10x

schuelma said:
I'm guessing the budget might be a *tad* bigger than for NMH.
I certainly hope so.

Then again, was it really a budget issue? There were loads of low budget PS2 games coming out of Japan running at 60 fps without a problem.

Aeris130

That had better be gameplay. Releasing screens in the order 'CGI > Bullshot > actual gameplay' doesn't leave a very good impression (on Wii games).

jts

...hate me...
Laurent said:
Resident Evil 4 Exclusive to Nintendo
Fatal Frame 4 Exclusive to Nintendo
There's no console to do an easy and very profitable port with this one.

dark10x

Aeris130 said:
That had better be gameplay. Releasing screens in the order 'CGI > Bullshot > actual gameplay' doesn't leave a very good impression (on Wii games).
It's CG and not uncommon for this series (the first trailers are typically CG only).

DevilWillcry said:
Nintendo locked down the Fatal Frame IP and MS got NG2. I wonder if this will pressure Sony to lock down a 3rd party IP.
Kingdom Hearts

I don't think you understand what "IP" means. It's the world/characters/title (or sometimes a limited combination of those elements) and it has nothing to do with publishing, which is what Microsoft and Nintendo are doing here. We've seen nothing to indicate that Tecmo have given up the IP rights to Ninja Gaiden or Fatal Frame. They're just not self-publishing these titles, which is either an indication of Tecmo fearing financial risk, Tecmo pursuing a new corporate strategy, or the platform holders investing heavily to guarantee exclusivity. (Third party exclusives are different from IP ownership, and fits more that you're saying about Sony.)

wsippel

Banned
schuelma said:
And they didn't get this one either.
Nintendo owns the distribution rights, co-owns the copyright and is producing the title, though. This one isn't going to appear on any other platform.

ethelred

:lol Oh, farnham.

And guys, honestly, this is no different than what Tecmo's doing with Ninja Gaiden 2. It seems a deliberate strategy on their part at this point to work with the higher profile hardware companies to get some of their games out.

jts

...hate me...
Leonsito said:
Maybe they do something awesome with the controls that makes it not that easy to be ported. But ok PS2 will do, granted that i don't know how much does the PS2 software still sell.

Top Bottom