• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fatal Frame 4 revealed

Soule

farnham said:
I wrote that Nintendo bought the IP "fatal frame"

the pdf that some korean guys stated was the proof of this whole thing only had the mentioning of the copyrights.. (well copyrights are a type of IP but whatever)

so its not clear if its for the series as a whole or only this one specific title..
thanks, i was confused but that clears it up a bit for me.

Hopefully Fatal Frame's 1-3 will be made available (Wii-makes). I've only ever played friends copies of the first two, which are long since sold and I hate only having a portion of a series.

farnham

Banned
Monkeylord said:
Hopefully Fatal Frame's 1-3 will be made available (Wii-makes). I've only ever played friends copies of the first two, which are long since sold and I hate only having a portion of a series.
speaking of which..

what happened to rygar wii

Troidal

More loli-looking female characters in the series are always welcome =p

Looks ok, hope the controls work well with this game.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Awesome! I loved the games on PS2 and am very happy that a new one is coming. Flashlight controls might be decent with the Wiimote, but I imagine it'll be used more for camera-shooting purposes.

It'd be good if they made the camera controls reeeeeeeeeeeally sensitive so it magnifies every shake of your hand and raises the tension moreso... Then a ghost leaps out and you have to keep your nerve and a steady aim shooting a picture of it as it slowly looms towards you. They could even make the sensitivity part of the upgrade system.

Delio

Totally happy for this and very funny at the people complaining. I just ignore them and enjoy that a new game is coming to the Wii and it's from a series my friend got me into .

Dascu

farnham said:
speaking of which..

what happened to rygar wii
I think it got delayed to a June 2008 release. Pretty weird considering this was planned for a December 2007 release. The director, Keisuke Kikuchi (like Fatal Frame 4), said he was planning to upgrade the graphics a bit. Maybe they're actually putting some work into it?

nli10

I'm presuming everyone else here only plays FF/PZ games with all the lights off at night and the volume at a decent level too? It's the only way really, if you want to actually feel the fear and all that.

The rope maidens still haunt me. :|

I didn't get 3, mainly because I never finished 2. I'll still probably get this though.

Mau ®

That looks quite good. Please add a FPS view, please add a FPS view.

I dont know about you guys but all of a sudden, I have an urge to buy a Wii...

Busty

Banned
A result for Nintendo without a doubt and a sound move on their behalf. The interesting part of the whole story for me is that Tecmo are allowing Nintendo to publish the game themselves.

Coupling this news with Microsoft publishing Ninja Gaiden2 for Tecmo and we see an interesting pattern emerge.

Perhaps Tecmo are on the bidding block, or they think it makes more financial sense to let the console manufacturer publish the game and then have them take a percentage of sales as a fee much like the film distribution model.

Either way, it's an interesting model for an exclusive.

Hmmmm. Interesting.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Busty said:
A result for Nintendo without a doubt and a sound move on their behalf. The interesting part of the whole story for me is that Tecmo are allowing Nintendo to publish the game themselves.

Coupling this news with Microsoft publishing Ninja Gaiden2 for Tecmo and we see an interesting pattern emerge.

Perhaps Tecmo are on the bidding block, or they think it makes more financial sense to let the console manufacturer publish the game and then have them take a percentage of sales as a fee much like the film distribution model.

Either way, it's an interesting model for an exclusive.

Hmmmm. Interesting.

Tecmo degrading to developer only?

Avrum

Metalmurphy said:
Damn you Nintendo and your money hats :(

Shooooooot...

...if anything Nintendo needs to be distributing MORE of said money hats. Although we had some confirmation on FF4 quite some time ago (as mentioned before) visual confirmation is certainly all the more sweeter especially with the level of collaboration going on with the project.

Mau ®

Im surprised at all the moaning!

Where were you guys when Fatal Frame 2 DC (Xbox) and Fatal Frame 3 (PS2) were released? I made a FF3 thread when the game was released. The thing did not reach 2 pages.

If anything, this is probably the first time the series have gotten this much attention.

inthezone said:

Where were you guys when Fatal Frame 2 DC (Xbox) and Fatal Frame 3 (PS2) were released? I made a FF3 thread when the game was released. The thing did not reach 2 pages.

If anything, this is probably the first time the series have gotten this much attention.

Because Nintendo shouldn't be allowed to get the game, duh.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Hmm, are those actual game shots? They generally release CG teasers for these games before any in game stuff, so I'm thinking no. If those were realtime, however, consider me ultra blown away as they would be 100x beyond anything else on the Wii.

Of course, they could have taken the RE:Remake option here...

I've played and finished all three games. Loved them (3 was actually my favorite, to be honest).

Avrum said:
Shooooooot...

...if anything Nintendo needs to be distributing MORE of said money hats. Although we had some confirmation on FF4 quite some time ago (as mentioned before) visual confirmation is certainly all the more sweeter especially with the level of collaboration going on with the project.

What's wrong with FF4 being MP like the previous games?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
inthezone said:

This.

Happens to basically every worthwhile Wii game, people who would have no interest in the game start bitching it's not on PS360. It's also a bother when the opposite happens, but with Wii games it's constant.

Cynar

holy crap, going to hate to see all the games from e3 this year when they're getting trolled by these people

Bildi

Frickin' awesome! I was not expecting any news for ages.

This is one of my most anticipated upcoming titles. The Fatal Frame is definitely one of the scariest survival horrors so it's great to see another instalment on the way.

Mau ®

dark10x said:
I've played and finished all three games. Loved them (3 was actually my favorite, to be honest).

Really? Im quite sure there was an excellent game there but I couldnt stand all the backtracking. I thought it was worse than in Silent Hill 4, where you backtracked the whole game for the second half.

The story and CG were top notch from what I saw.

Fatal Frame II (Xbox version) is my favorite. The addition of the FPV was the best thing that ever happened to the series. It made so much scarier AND wouldnt make you feel like you were walking slower than a turtle. I was quite bummed when it was removed in FF3.

TheWolf

Banned
Spider_Jerusalem said:
Whoa, I thought this was firmly a Playstation franchise. It could go multiplatform, but leaving the PS at all? Crazy.

pretty sure all the other games were on Xbox as well.

i've never even played this series. is it worth picking up the other 3 games?

inthezone said:

this sounds more interesting though, I expect a thread when its release. o.o

Avrum

Metalmurphy said:
What's wrong with FF4 being MP like the previous games?

Where did I imply that there was something wrong with that? I never even made mention to even allude to that assertion. I'm merely suggesting that if Nintendo had to go all moneyhats to get a game like this, I'd like to see more ambitious projects coming to Wii even if it takes more moneyhatting to do so.

If the game were multiplatform, I'd have no problem so long as I get my Wii fix. ;)

Bishman

Great news! Iwata wasn't joking when he said gamers would get bored if they just made Wii Sports, Wii Play, Wii etc.

What is real surprising is the fact that Nintendo is publishing the game. What other surprises are we in store for at GDC and E3?

Bildi

TheWolf said:
pretty sure all the other games were on Xbox as well.

i've never even played this series. is it worth picking up the other 3 games?
Only the first two are on the Xbox.

If survival horror is your thing, you'll most likely love the Fatal Frame games. The reversed control sticks in Fatal Frame 1 (PS2 version, dunno if the Xbox version offered an option to change it) still gets me every time I pick it up, but that's really the only negative I can think of.

Bishman said:
Great news! Iwata wasn't joking when he said gamers would get bored if they just made Wii Sports, Wii Play, Wii etc.

What is real surprising is the fact that Nintendo is publishing the game. What other surprises are we in store for at GDC and E3?

Resident Crossing
A mix between Resident Evil and Animal Crossing.

VerTiGo

Banned
I never played any Fatal Frame game but I have to see that I'm interested in this one for a number of reason's:

- Even though I absolutely hated the gameplay of Killer7, No More Heroes is an enjoyable enough experience to redeem Grasshopper and Suda 51 for me personally.

- Nintendo is publishing? It's nice to see that Nintendo isn't afraid of actually publishing Mature-rated games themselves instead of just giving the third parties the risk of doing so. I've always been a firm believe that in order to expand the Wii's demographic, Nintendo is going to have to make all the major moves for third-parties before they can cash-in too. Also, it'll be nice to see what Grasshopper can do with a bigger bankroll behind the development of one of their games.

topsyturvy said:
what the...did this thread get merged or something?

va0140078.jpg

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
PUBLISHED BY NINTENDO, Wii exclusive??

DEVELOPED BY GRASSHOPPER and tecmo?

DIRECTORAL INVOLVEMENT BY GOICHI SUDA?!

Woa, this suddenly went from 'Wha?' to Wish List

now quick, someone tell me all about what fatal frame is :lol

John Harker said:
PUBLISHED BY NINTENDO, Wii exclusive??

DEVELOPED BY GRASSHOPPER AND tecmo?

DIRECTORAL INVOLVEMENT BY GOICHI SUDA?!

Woa, what a thing to come to work and read!
This suddenly went from 'Wha?' to Wish List

now quick, someone tell me all about what fatal frame is :lol

It's like a wedding photographer simulator, but with ghosts and dead people.

Top Bottom