• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FATAL FURY: CotW |Announcement Trailer

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
CoTW = City of the Wolves

REV IT UP

After 26 years, FATAL FURY is back! New REV system supercharges the excitement!

7hhpDMk.png

Last edited:

Ozzie666

I'm going to be that guy, it's no Mark of the Wolves which was beautiful and amazing. But it's an interesting artistic take. I'm curious what the Microtransactions will look like, if they have them.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Hmm not sure this look interesting to me. The art style isn't quite my cup of tea and the gameplay looks super fast paced.
I'm glad to see Tizoc back though. Will need to see more...

loki-ooh.gif

Really nice animations and shading going on here. It will be underappreciated by people who dislike 3D models, but for those in the know this was most likely a lot of hard work to achieve that look.

Last edited:
Hmm not sure this look interesting to me. The art style isn't quite my cup of tea and the gameplay looks super fast paced.
I'm glad to see Tizoc back though. Will need to see more...
Right there with you. From what was shown, I'm more glad to see the series back than the actual game itself. Something about it just screams generic and forgettable in a lot of ways, but I'm happy that it's here regardless. This series was a part of my childhood, so maybe I'm just old and like to see old things hang around lol

Last edited:

kunonabi

I was hoping for more of shake-up mechanic wise but it looks like they're playing things safe so far. Still a new FF is always welcome.

thatJohann

Looks good although I’m concerned with all the complex mechanics they teased. I just want hadoken motions and a super meter ya know what I mean

The music was really unexpected, but it wasn't bad, I think...

Anyway, when I saw the notification that these two trailers came out, the only thing that stopped me from screaming was my grandma and aunt sleeping.

It looks really good! And it looks super fast too! The way Cock Howard was moving was really something to behold!

The stage is pretty nice, the new character looks cool and fun.
And I'm curious about the rev system.

I really hope Kain will be in the game! And I'm excited to see Billy Kane and Mai.

Right there with you. From what was shown, I'm more glad to see the series back than the actual game itself. Something about it just screams generic and forgettable in a lot of ways
Just as a refresher, I'll post Samurai Showdown, KoF 14 and KoF 15 clips from their official youtube:

There's a mile of difference in quality with what the OP posted vs the three games above. The shading alone is worth noting but even when you slow the OP's videos down to 0.5 speed, the characters are much more animated and livelier, the animations, animation blending and transitions are much smoother, and everything feels much more cohesive artistically, including a very subtle screen shake effect when a heavy hit connects.

The games I've listed above all feel lower budget maybe indie or AA at best, which makes sense considering their financials as a company. This FF trailer looks professionally done by a near AAA level fighting game studio...and this is just the reveal trailer so it will only get better from here.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Just as a refresher, I'll post Samurai Showdown, KoF 14 and KoF 15 clips from their official youtube:

There's a mile of difference in quality with what the OP posted vs the three games above. The shading alone is worth noting but even when you slow the OP's videos down to 0.5 speed, the characters are much more animated and livelier, the animations, animation blending and transitions are much smoother, and everything feels much more cohesive artistically, including a very subtle screen shake effect when a heavy hit connects.

The games I've listed above all feel lower budget maybe indie or AA at best, which makes sense considering their financials as a company. This FF trailer looks professionally done by a near AAA level fighting game studio...and this is just the reveal trailer so it will only get better from here.

lol, lmao even.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

The videos you posted look so much better. That trailer Adam posted looks weird. It's so hectic and characters constantly have a white or yellow outline. But your video it's nice and clean characters.

The videos you posted look so much better. That trailer Adam posted looks weird. It's so hectic and characters constantly have a white or yellow outline. But your video it's nice and clean characters.
I like the three games I've posted. However, from graphics to animations to presentation, there's no way on earth I could reasonably put them next to the much higher budget AAA peers of their time, Mortal Kombat XI, Tekken 7, and Street Fighter V. Those three SNK games have heart, I'll give them that, but they simply didn't have the look.

I was very forgiving of this because of the hand they were dealt with budget. I remember the reactions online when KoF 14 was revealed, and they weren't pretty. I was one of the few who defended it because I knew if they succeeded enough, we would reach the point we've reached today with this new FF game.

Edit:

Also, StreetsofBeige StreetsofBeige , the 'outline' is actually part of the shading. It's old school comic-book esque shading. You can see the dots whenever a character does a special in the trailer. They are going for a look similar to these images:

71xB+UyV+ML._AC_SL1050_.jpg

14-15.jpg

how-modern-coloring-technology-can-ruin-reprints-this-is-a-v0-10y4ir93e30b1.jpg

Last edited:

DelireMan7

A follow up to Mark of the Wolves (aka Best fighting game of all time) ?!

I am not into fighting anymore but still pretty hyped for that.
As an old nostalgic gamer I would have prefer 2D sprites over 3D but animation and combat still looks quite snappy and fast (3D models always felt sluggish to me).

I saw in the comment that Gato is confirmed. Great new !

cireza

I really dislike the super dark style they decided to go with. Looks like Marvel vs Capcom 3, which was ugly. Doesn't suit Fatal Fury in my opinion. Should have been much more colorful and bright.

Last edited:

Lambogenie

I really dislike the super dark style they decided to go with. Looks like Marvel vs Capcom 3, which was ugly. Doesn't suit Fatal Fury in my opinion. Should have been much more colorful and bright.
I don't hate it but similar wavelength.

Wow, that graphic style shits all over modern Street Fighter. I love it.
Nah

Count me in the small club of MotW being massively overrated, but I'm glad this is coming.

I agree with some things and disagree with others. I do like that the animation is fluid. I'm a HUGE animation fan, and while it's not anywhere near SF6 level, it's certainly decent. The voices and voiced lines are terrible. It sounds like some mid level garbage that I could have voiced myself, and that music is just awful. It's like they chose some random track that wouldn't get a copyright strike on YouTube. The art direction is not that great, and really bad at some points like Preecha(though that may be a Japan thing). A few of the designs just look so Lego and pieced together. As far as the game itself, I find it decent from what was shown. It's not top tier, but it's promising I guess. The rev mechanic seems ok for now.

NahaNago

Not a fan of the style of graphics. Like someone else mentioned it looks generic but I need to take another look on the tv.

Top Bottom