• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite "Celebrities" that are Gamers

Zolbrod

Trent Reznor is a gamer since forever and he even pitched at game and wanted to finance it with some big publishers but it didn't work.

Well duh, where do you think he got his name from?

rhino.png

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod

DrunkDan

I read Lil' Wayne was a big madden player and often challenged people to try and beat him.

Also here in the UK there is a rapper/grime artist called JME that is heavily into gaming. He often tweets about xbox and plays COD and Gears. Also has several custom controllers that he had posted pictures of and even have away several Destiny beta codes too. Cool guy.

Oozer3993

I didn't know that Henry Cavill is a big WoW fan. That awesome! Maybe there's something about WoW and Superman, because Brandon Routh is such a WoW nut he was begging for years to be in the WoW movie.

Justin Bieber showed up at a Bungie thrown Halo: Reach launch event and, with his bodyguards, took over several kiosks, kicking out, among others, actor Ron Livingston. Nathan Fillion refused to leave which resulted in this immortal tweet:

Spanked Justin Bieber on Halo Reach. Felt good.

The whole writeup of the story from Bungie is great.

Dustin Hoffman HATES them. Won't let his grandkids play them and won't do any VO for them because he thinks they rot your brain or something.

I'm not sure that's right. He campaigned Nintendo to be in the Super Mario Bros. movie in the early nineties because his kids loved the games so much.

Kallor

taizuke

Janina Gavankar

@Janina

Shiva Kamini!

luna-garza-janina-gavankar-true-blood.jpg

BwVD_kiIMAAbGq5.jpg

She's also a completionist. I remember her saying on Attack of The Show that she loves collecting and doing all the side quests in a game. For her she's not done with a game until she's gone through and seen every inch of it.

A woman after my own heart.

MisterArrogant

Neo Member
I'm not sure that's right. He campaigned Nintendo to be in the Super Mario Bros. movie in the early nineties because his kids loved the games so much.

I was working on a game where they wanted him to do VO and that's what we were told. /shrug

Maybe he's secretly resentful for losing out the role in Mario. It could have done wonders for his career...

He also had roles in Space Channel 5 1 and 2, Sega ASM1 Space Scrambler Training (arcade game), and Ready To Rumble Boxing. He even worked on the Sonic 3 soundtrack, though how much of his work made it in is unknown.
The "rescue Space Michael" level in Space Channel 5 Part 2 probably is my favorite level.

SegaShack

LOL I remember when he said he was the best at Halo 3 and put out his gamertag challenging anyone to face him. I ended up doing it and destroyed him he left so quick too it was hilarious. You can probably still find videos of some of those matches he did with people too.

Also he had his own gaming clan "SODMG" also had a gaming blog as well back in 08' (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHXBqo6RgN4)

I remember how Screw Attack made a video to challenge Soulja Boy. He made a video accepting their challenge, then when Screwattack tried to schedule it and he stopped responding, he deleted the video. Luckily someone backed it up:

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/fswt3q/-soulja-boy-accepts-screwattack-s-

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Gaming is pretty big with EDM DJs and producers, unsurprisingly. Deadmau5 is a huge player of Minecraft, FF and Zelda (had tracks named "You Need A Ladder" that sampled the Zelda theme that was later reworked into "Sofi Neesd A Ladder", and another track named "Limit Break").

Porter Robinson also mentioned in interviews that he is a self proclaimed Japanophile and some of his biggest musical influences are DDR and SNES/PS1 era RPGs.

Afrojack samples from FF and there's a documentary video of him where he's playing Triple Triad on a laptop on a train.

And on a non-EDM tip, John Petrucci from Dream Theater loves his Saturn and did music for a pinball game for the console. I do believe that Dragonforce are big gamers as well, and I'd imagine many other artists in the metal scene are into gaming.

CloudWolf

ITT: People find out that celebrities are people with normal hobbies, too

Anyway, I always kinda liked how involved Jack Black is in gaming. I still remember how he (with some help from Harmonix) invited people to play Rock Band 2 with him.

Also, Paul McCartney has to be mentioned. Even though I doubt he really takes time to play games, the way he incorporates The Beatles Rock Band and Destiny gameplay videos in his concerts is awesome.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
dear god i don't believe these lies.
soon people will even say celebs take shits in the toilet too !

eminem.jpg

Eminem
I'd rather be an Encyclopedia Britannica hell with
Playstation, I'm still on my first man on some Zelda
Nintendo bitch! run, jump, punch, stab, and I melt the
Mozzarella on my spaghetti put it on bread make a sandwich with Welch's

hqdefault.jpg

Biggie
Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis
When I was dead broke, man I couldn't picture this
50 inch screen, money green leather sofa
Got two rides, a limousine with a chauffeur