• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite open world traversal this gen

xuchu

Yeah I have to agree with infamous second son. As repetitive and uninspired the quest design is, traversing the city with the different powers felt oh so good.

Lilo_D

Were you around during the launch weeks? Because that game was basically the first and best open world game ever created and was absolutely nothing like any other open world game before. Nothing you hear me??

There was a thread where a person was asking for linear, focused games because they were burned out of open world, and most of the replies were "but have you tried Zelda??" "play Zelda!!!", to which they answered many times that they didn't want open world of any kind no matter its quality, and the Zelda evangelists kept saying that it didn't matter, that Zelda was unlike any other open world and that they must play it anyways.

It was downright embarrassing.

Oh ok nevermind.

I will say claim nintendo fan don't play other open game is straight stupid
That's being said the traversal in Botw is `normal` and `natural` and `simple` (of cause there are other games out there do things `better`)
What's being excited about `running` and `climbing`? But the game designed that you feel good even the traversal method is just this simple

Also guys check the speedrun of botw, the true traversal of botw is there

While its performance on the PS4 is rather infamous, the numerous mobility options in Just Cause 3 are actually really great. The Bavarium Wingsuit from the Sky Fortress DLC makes it even better, since it basically turns you into Iron Man (in terms of mobility and offensive capabilities).

EnemyDroneDestroy_1457005840.gif

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Gravity Rush 2 easily, how can you beat flying? And a super gorgeous world to boot.

Robiin

I agree with many of the obvious choices here - Zelda BotW, Infamous etc. but let me put forth an example I haven't seen yet.

skate. - I don't know if it's cheating or not but I think of it as open world. It's basically a huge playground and when you get good at the game, simply getting from place to place is so much fun.

Gravity Rush. No contest.

Gotta mention Sunset Overdrive, Just Cause 3, Dying Light, and Unity.

Not really getting all the praise for Zelda. Yeah the climbing and surfing are neat but they're not approaching the levels of others mentioned in here.

Fallout 4 glitchy as fuck vertibird travel. Normally you don't get to go around a Bethesda-world that quickly so it seems like a real technical challenge for them to pull it off in that engine. It's glitchy, it's weird, it seems mostly pointless (because fast traveling makes a lot more sense), but I appreciated the weird attempt and enjoyed the novelty of it.

GTAV kinda came out last year but the remaster for PS4/X1 makes it relevant and I still love the thrill/beauty of flying planes in GTAV. The game still really impresses me with the detail.

Secret points for Sunset Overdrives trick-chaining, grinding, sliding, double-jumping, air-boosting, weird as hell traversal for being really unique and something that I've never really done in any other game before.

DrD

Sunset Overdrive. A giant playground made just for your traversal with moves that are simple to pull off but take quite a bit of practice to completely master. The traversal also ties into combat since you're meant to be constantly moving. Makes me more excited for what Insomniac can do with Spider-Man.

Infamous: Second Son wins it for me, but BotW deserves the praise it's receiving. It's not the best in any one area but a complete package that works perfectly within the confines of the game. I do wish the horses controlled better and that they could be used to surf like the
sand seals
. The vertical deficiencies are lessened by getting
Revali's Gale
which I personally beelined for on my second playthrough.

I'm putting all my future stock in Super Mario Odyssey & Spider-Man.

Having so few Sunset Overdrive responses is disheartening.

Crackdown is also very unique with the high jumps and transformative cars.

Definitely BOTW. I think Horizon Zero Dawn is the best game overall but after having played BOTW, god, is the traversal tedious! No free-climbing, no flying, constant interruptions by ennemies...

I use to never use fast travel in open-world games but in HZD it is nearly mandatory to appreciate the game.

Sunset Overdrive for sure. I just wish they had made the air dash part of the standard move set. Once you get that, it's amazing. The races between multiplayer fights were a ton of fun.

Paganmoon

Infamous Second Son. While combat is inferior to infamous 2, I think the traversal is vastly superior. (Although I do miss Ice launches) It has 4 separate traversal options that all feel good. Smoke is the most limited in horizontal travel but with vents you can be at the top of a building in an instant. Video is great for flying and saying in the air. Neon is great for ground travel, and concrete is a good mix of air and ground travel. Possibly the best traversal I have used in a super hero game.

Batman Arkham Knight. You can really feel like Batman in more ways than on in this game. Batman can use the grappling hook to get anywhere. Glide boosters make traveling as Batman more efficient than the Batmobile. Divebombs are very exciting, and it all flows very well with combat. While the Batmobile has trash missions, its actually fun to traverse around the city. The Batmobile is fast, and very powerful. You feel so bad ass in the car, while everything around it crumbles with immense detail.

Any others from this gen?

Fully agreed on these two, loved the traversal in both games. I really should replay inFamous:SS sometime soon.

Witcher 3 or BotW.

Seriously? Geralt controls like a tank when walking/running around, and Roach is unwieldly as hell. By god, soon enough it's probably going to have the best combat ever as well.

the only one i've played this gen is infamous second son and first light

gta5, if that counts. the first time I played it was on Ps4

feel

Gotta be Zelda BOTW. Just absolute freedom and pleasure in that exploration, didn't get old in the 200 hours I played it.

spekkeh

Banned
I love how BOTW is meant to set some kind of standard open worlds have never done before ie vertical climbing, gliding.

Batman, Assassins Creed, Just Cause 3 all done it way before BOTW came out. BOTW seems to have been put onto this unreachable pedestal, when it's clearly not.

Good game yes, but let's not go overboard in it's praise.
There's a difference between exploration and traversal...
I'll agree there's a difference between traversal and exploration, I don't agree you can reliably (or meaningfully) separate the two. What makes something feel good is generally an interplay between affective/visceral feedback and cognitively interesting rewards. I love all the visual chutzpah of the neon powers in Infamous, or the tactility of a sudden lurch as your roped batarang connects to a ledge, but if the reward of scaling a building is that's nothing there, if you're just moving from point A to point B on the map, then all the buildings in between are just stalling tactics. Traversal is well programmed but feels like a nuisance. Conversely while the vertigo and snap of the parachute in Breath of the Wild feels great, the ensuing glide is viscerally boring, however then the cognitive interest picks up as you go ooh need to go that way, ah what's that, well damn I go and want to scale that mountain to go and look from the other side. Traversal becomes meaningful and therefore more fun than the more visceral but also hollow glitz of other games.

zMiiChy-

Banned
Were you around during the launch weeks? Because that game was basically the first and best open world game ever created and was absolutely nothing like any other open world game before. Nothing you hear me??

There was a thread where a person was asking for linear, focused games because they were burned out of open world, and most of the replies were "but have you tried Zelda??" "play Zelda!!!", to which they answered many times that they didn't want open world of any kind no matter its quality, and the Zelda evangelists kept saying that it didn't matter, that Zelda was unlike any other open world and that they must play it anyways.

It was downright embarrassing.

Oh ok nevermind.
You mean this thread, right?
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1350472

I don't care how good a game is, that behavior was utterly appalling.
To completely ignore the OP is one thing (I myself am often guilty of that, I admit)
But to repeatedly and aggressively shove a game in their face that they've already clearly expressed disinterest in is totally gross.

As for the subject of this thread?
Uhhhhhhh.... Gravity Rush, I guess.
Even though I hated the game(It was really ugly).

guyssorry

BOTW, easily. It made traversal versatile, fun, and not feel like a chore. I'm playing HZD right now, and while I like it, traversing the overworld is not really enjoyable, even if I override a machine. I hope more games approach open-world traversal similar to BOTW.

Trouble

Banned
BOTW for the best system as far as exploration and how access to the world unfolds.

Arkham Knight for pure enjoyability.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Gravity Rush 2 and Infamous Second Son/First Light.

I generally hate traversal in open world games (tired of open worlds in general), but it was at least fun in those with the powers etc.

BOTW bored me as the world was too big and empty for me, climbing was slow, rain prevented climbing etc. I'm just not big on exploration in games.

majik13

Would have to be BOTW since you can virtually go anywhere you can see, without much fuss. Glide, shield surf, climb, launch yourself. Also its one of the best open world level designs.

Just Cause 3. I love that it takes real skill to use the hookshot/parachute/wingsuit properly. I didn't enjoy the game as much as 2 - too samey, I guess - but that wingsuit addition was enough to keep me playing for quite a while.

I'm laughing at how Breath of the Wild gets under people's skins. Usually, these types of threads are all list, no response.

Here's to hoping Spider-Man PS4 can take the cake.

Oh, please God, yes. Spider-Man 2 is still the best ever in this category. It sure would be nice to get a web-swinging system that good (or better) in a beautiful modern game.

BoTW

Everything is climbable and you can glide anywhere

Absolutely not. Can't even summon my horse. I'm on a road and I'd like to summon my horse and proceed with the increased speed from my mount, nope. I need to fast travel to a stable. Get the horse and travel BACK to where I was originally then continue. Such a waste of time when I should have been able to summon my horse right there and not waste time.

I really dislike BotW as an open world game due to this design decision.

arhra

Sunset Overdrive by far. Chaining together grinds, wallruns, superbounces, and air dashes to get across the entire city without ever touching the ground just never got old.

Infamous was fun up until you unlock Neon, but then it just becomes completely brainless - point yourself in the direction you want to go, hold button, push forwards. I found myself forcing myself to use the other powers just to have some fun, but there was always that nagging feeling in the back of my brain that it'd be faster to just use neon.

LotusHD

Banned
Absolutely not. Can't even summon my horse. I'm on a road and I'd like to summon my horse and proceed with the increased speed from my mount, nope. I need to fast travel to a stable. Get the horse and travel BACK to where I was originally then continue. Such a waste of time when I should have been able to summon my horse right there and not waste time.

I really dislike BotW as an open world game due to this design decision.

I don't really know why you're disagreeing with him when this thread is about our favorites, and he didn't even bring up the horse riding lol

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Infamous Second Son and Batman Arkham Knight

Good, fast traversal in superhero games is key to selling the feel of the character. I look forward to seeing what Insomniac does with Spider-Man.

Boss Man

It seems like my definition of an "open world" game is a lot narrower than others'...

I think "most content is designed to be reachable at any point" is a decent place to start.

Anyway, even though BoTW is probably my favorite such game and also the most enjoyable to traverse, I don't think the actual traversing part is what sets it apart. The glider is cool though.

Honestly, I think the old school Final Fantasy games may be my favorite. Something like FFIX where you can fly around with the airship and see the model towns. Note: I have not played the new Xenoblade.

Games like Infamous and Assassin's Creed do feel really good to move around in. I would never call them open world though.

Elandyll

Banned
Hard to pick between Kat's Gravity Slide in Gravity Rush or Fetch's super speed in Infamous First Light.

Both are soooo good.

Top Bottom