• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite open world traversal this gen

[NaK]

I usually get bored of running/riding/gliding pretty quick and often prefer fast travel.

I did enjoy running through Horizon though. Mainly because of the scenery..

Kuldar

Gravity Rush 2 and inFamous Second Son.

It's great to have a fun traversal when you go from point A to point B and a some games have that. But these two games made me want to move just beause it was fun, not because I had to go somewhere.

Malcolm9

I love how BOTW is meant to set some kind of standard open worlds have never done before ie vertical climbing, gliding.

Batman, Assassins Creed, Just Cause 3 all done it way before BOTW came out. BOTW seems to have been put onto this unreachable pedestal, when it's clearly not.

Good game yes, but let's not go overboard in it's praise.

Mdk7

sunset-overdrive-facebook.jpg

massoluk

Banned
I love how BOTW is meant to set some kind of standard open worlds have never done before ie vertical climbing, gliding.

Batman, Assassins Creed, Just Cause 3 all done it way before BOTW came out. BOTW seems to have been put onto this unreachable pedestal, when it's clearly not.

I'll give you Just Cause, may be. But Ass Creed and Batman are definitely NOT BOTW's level of openworlds

Malcolm9

I'll give you Just Cause, may be. But Ass Creed and Batman are definitely NOT BOTW's level of openworlds

Traversal wise they are much better.

Exploration is the key part in Zelda, which I believe some are getting mixed up with traversal.

Gravity Rush. There's nothing else like it and coursing through the air at high speed just never gets old. It's my all-time favourite means of traversal in video games.

farmerboy

You.
Are.
Way.
Too.
Late.

Sunset Overdrive for me. When you've maxed out your character and you're zipping around the world chaining glides, into grinds into jumps into bounces into the double dash then diving and gliding over water... nothing else really like it.

Kouichi

Infamous First Light.

Running around with Fetch's neon powers are just too fun. Sucker Punch are the kings of traversal and movement in open world.

Batman AK, BOTW and Infamous most definetly.

Currently I am playing Prey and I love the Zero G sections. Not quite open world, more like 3d metroidvania, but close enough.

Still I think no game has still come close to the best trabwrsal experience I had and that was Prototype last gen. The way you ran across buildings and the city and the speed you had to do it was just awesome.

Edit:forgot Sunset OD that has to be top 5.

Certinty

Has to be Sunset Overdrive. How they even made a game world that fun to get around is insane. Spider-Man is going to be great.

Fbh

Gravity Rush. Mechanically fun, looks great and gives a lot of verticality to places making you look at them from a different perspective.

Haven't played 2 yet but I loved moving around the world in the remaster of 1. I liked it so much I actually completed all the "races"/time challenges .... And that's the type of sideactivity I almost allways ignore in game.

Nev

Banned

Right? One would think some Nintendo fans have never played an open world game before. Assassin's Creed revolutionized the genre with the "climb everything" thing in fcking 2007, ten years before Botw, Arkham has had perfect gliding since 2011, not to mention Just Cause 2 which lets you hookshot and glide your way through everything, including flying airplanes.

Whatever, let them think Botw is the second coming of christ and invented/perfected everything.

My pick is Dying Light. They not only managed to capture the feeling of Mirror's Edge, they improved it.

As for "unrealistic", obviously Gravity Rush 2 is on a whole other league if only for its uniqueness and originality.

Lilo_D

Right? One would think some Nintendo fans have never played an open world game before. Assassin's Creed revolutionized the genre with the "climb everything" thing in fcking 2007, ten years before Botw, Arkham has had perfect gliding since 2011, not to mention Just Cause 2 which lets you hookshot and glide your way through everything, including flying airplanes.

Whatever, let them think Botw is the second coming of christ and invented/perfected everything.

My pick is Dying Light. They not only managed to capture the feeling of Mirror's Edge, they improved it.

As for "unrealistic", obviously Gravity Rush 2 is on a whole other league if only for its uniqueness and originality.

No one says Botw `invent` anything
Whatever, let the stupid post be stupid

I also love how XenobladeX handle the world design and the traversal, it has the sense of layers

Majmun

Traversal wise they are much better.

Exploration is the key part in Zelda, which I believe some are getting mixed up with traversal.

This is what I meant.

Exploration is amazing in BotW. But other open world games have better traversal options, and more fun ones.

Nev

Banned
No one says Botw `invent` anything

Were you around during the launch weeks? Because that game was basically the first and best open world game ever created and was absolutely nothing like any other open world game before. Nothing you hear me??

There was a thread where a person was asking for linear, focused games because they were burned out of open world, and most of the replies were "but have you tried Zelda??" "play Zelda!!!", to which they answered many times that they didn't want open world of any kind no matter its quality, and the Zelda evangelists kept saying that it didn't matter, that Zelda was unlike any other open world and that they must play it anyways.

It was downright embarrassing.

Whatever, let the stupid post be stupid

Oh ok nevermind.

AC Unity once you understood the controls.

Animation in this game is so god damn smooth.
Yep, not needing to look for pigeons to signal a leap of faith descent point any more felt amazing when you adjusted to it. And while the hookshot thing from Syndicate made ascents easier I don't think it's a requirement for future games. Building on the animations to make them look and feel smooth and responsive, alongside smart world design so routes are always available (probably the hardest part) are all this series really needs.

My outlier, however, was Black Flag. There was something magical about traversing the high seas, hearing the crew sing shanties and being able to drop off on islands or dock in ports.

Black Flag was amazing! I think it's proof that speed isn't the important thing in traversal, but simply how enjoyable the traversal is. You could feel the waves, were regularly sailing alongside playful dolphins or seeing whales rise out of the ocean, and the crew's shanties and your first mate really sold the atmosphere.

Jolly good time
tumblr_o8dm61GODS1qgio5qo2_500.gif

They were a lot of fun, but I'm pretty sure I only enjoyed them as much as I did because the Regalia was so damn restrictive that anything would have felt fun in comparison. It does have me hoping for a future open world FF game to return to a more playful medieval setting like FF9 though, with the main characters being Chocobo Knights. I think XV's Chocobo system is a really good base to build upon, especially with customization (Chocobo Armour DLC?) =P

Tesser

The traversal aspect of BotW can be enjoyable - figuring out where's/when's best to land and move about when gliding...but I agree, I think the explorative aspect of the game's World far outweighs, quality-wise, its traversal side.

Edit: I see people nominating Gravity Rush 2 for best means of traversal. And until I think up an alternative, I think I'll stick with that choice as well.

jrush64

Banned
So people are salty for not thinking Zelda is the be all and end all? There are plenty of suggestions that show other games do traversal much better, nothing to be defensive about.

Then show me where someone said it was "the be all and end all" ?

zenspider

Xenoblade Chronicles X. The juxtaposition between traveling on foot and by skell is profound. I do wish there was more reasons to travel by foot once you got the skell as I preferred the combat and the kind of secrets and details you'd find, but still.

And BotW, obv.

Haven't played Gravity Rush 2 yet (damn Q1 Christmas), but I heard it's great in is regard.

Witcher 3 or BotW.

nah.. i love Witcher 3 but traversal was the weakest part of the game. also running looked really, really stupid.

i would say Arkham Knight and ME:A. a totally underappreciated strenght of the latter.. i really love boosting around the planets with the Nomad (controls near perfectly imo), and using the jetpack. it's brilliant stuff.

eXistor

BotW and I can't think of another game that comes close. Maybe Xenoblade Chronicles X, but that has very limited world-interaction.

Top Bottom