• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite open world traversal this gen

Batman: Arkham Knight adapts various methods of traversal used in Batman media to video games. Rocksteady did a great job building a solid mechanical framework for the gameplay in the Arkham series (something no one got close to doing before). It's the closest a game has come to giving a player a comprehensive set of Batman abilities; it functionally feels like controlling (dare I say, being) Batman, in a physical sense. I've always felt each game fell short in some way, but considering how each game broke new ground in considerable ways, I could easily forgive the shortcomings.

That development of abilities culminates with Arkham Knight that lets you do just about every physical Batman maneuver to some degree. That includes all the traversal options, and how they play into how you approach an enemy watchtower or patrol. You can glide, use the zipline gadget to create a tightrope in midair, then perch above an enemy encampment. You can use the grapnel gun on a ledge where an enemy is standing, zip up to them, grab them on the way up and slam them into the ground using the momentum, then dash underneath nearby floor grates. You can drive toward a group of patrolling militia members, launch out of the Batmobile before they notice, glide to a nearby billboard/lightpole/catwalk/etc. and watch as they keep firing at the Batmobile thinking you're still inside before dropping down and taking them out one-by-one slilently, or just gliding into and dive-bombing into them.

Such a fantastic foundation, and I hope what Rocksteady accomplished can be used in the future, or at least inspires future devs.

Gravity Rush 2 does super powered traversal in a way I'd be wanting to see for a long while. Shifting the direction of Kat's personal gravity makes sense, yet it's also somewhat unwieldy—using it to fly around feels less like it was meant for flying, and more like a particular ability that you have to be creative and resource to make it work for traversal, like Spider-Man's webshooters. I compare it to inFamous 2's overall abilities) where the character has electricity powers, but they can shoot lightning bolts like a gun, can throw electricity grenades, has static hover ability, etc.—everything feels it accommodates the player at every turn, rather than requiring some ingenuity on the player's part to do something cool (every game does this of course, but iF2 really felt like it to me).

GR and GR2 really nailed that feel for me. The sense of falling is captured well too, but in a calm, tranquil way. Gravity Slide is such a cool concept for traversal and I love doing it up walls and on ceilings. The alternate gravity styles make Kat heavier to make the sliding even quicker/powerful, or makes Kat light and lets her jumps send her tumbling through the air, also allowing for a forward dash/glide that just feels great to do. Really good sense of momentum and moving through a space that's captured in those games.

haven't played Zelda, but I'm pretty sure I would really appreciate the way climbing is used. that freedom sounds great, and it also makes getting around feel significant and meaningful.

Basically my choices with basically the explanations I'd use. Gravity Rush in particular I love because it feels like trying to wrangle a super power that isn't inherently controllable. And with so much grace.

Batman is a lot of carry over from the previous games, but the combination of diveboming + the Batmobile + enemy vehicles in Arkham Knight creates one of the most the most authentic superhero traversal systems, up there with Spider Man 2 and Hulk: Ultimate Destruction.

AK15-2.gif

AK14.gif

AK8-2.gif

AK12dff5.gif

Gravity Rush 2 is just majestic and fluid

iyLypsw.gif

pJbUeBV.gif

w62ni6j.gif

sBBN10u.gif

Wtf are some of you smoking? I get that you enjoy BoTW but traversal in that game is not the best or that unique compared to other games

Gliding is better in Just Cause 3 and Arkham Knight

Horse Riding is better In Horizon Zero Dawn, MGS V.

Being able to climb anywhere is better in Grow Home.

Same applies to The Witcher 3 and autonomous clunky Roach riding.

There are games like Gravity Rush, InFamous SS, Mirrors Edge and Daylight parkour, Sunset Overdrive etc with truly unique excellent traversal.

You may have listed a bunch of games that does an individual aspect better, but BotW does them all and it does them all very well.

Cracklox

I loved it Just Cause 2. Once I got the hang of the grappling hook, parachute combo, I barely drove a car again

Some Nobody

I still think of Wii U as a 7th gen console no matter what people say, but for argument's sake, sure. Xenoblade Chronicles X. If Monolith Soft never does another RPG with flying mecha ever I'll be pissed.

Otherwise: Infamous: Second Son. Neon, Smoke, and
video
all had great ways to traverse the city. Hopefully Sucker Punch takes that into their next IP.

Capshot

Neo Member
inFAMOUS Second Son was fun, but I think I preferred the mobility in the earlier games (inFAMOUS 2, specifically). Running up walls made things a lot easier, sure, but I missed grinding on wires and ice-launching around everywhere.

As for other recent games, Just Cause 3 and Mirror's Edge Catalyst come to mind.

MusicAndStuff

Neo Member
Most recently, I'd say Infamous:SS. I loved running around in the Neon and Data(?) powers and spent a lot of time just running around trying to take cool screenshots.

I really got my fingers crossed for Insomniac's Spider-Man game... god I hope the web swinging is excellent.

Gliding around in Zelda BotW is a joy umatched by pretty much anything else in gaming.

Pretty much.

I had an incredible moment yesterday. I saw an enemy camp on a high tower with red barrels next to them. I shot a fire arrow from my horse blowing up all the barrels and killing all but one bokoblin. I then jumped off my horse as the fire from the explosions reached the grass down below.

As I ran towards the tower I opened up my paraglider as the draft from the fire sent me sky high over the tower and bokoblin. I then locked on to him midair as I came crashing down on him with my sword finally killing him.

irlPtDz.jpg

Xbro

Toss up between BotW and Xenoblade X

Xenoblade X with it's infinite run and long jump on foot. Motorcycle traversal on grounded Skell. Flying with flying Skell. The best thing about the world was how easy it was to get around to explore

Zelda I pick a straight line and go. I'm in a town and I just jump all over the place. It doesn't matter what's in my way, I'm getting to my destination.

Dezzy

I can't think of anything better than Zelda: BotW. I'm playing Horizon Zero Dawn right now, and while the game is fun and beautiful, I keep wanting to climb mountains and glide around, but I can't.

BOTW Gliding, who doesn't love it?
Xenoblade X doll/skull flight mode, FFXV chocobo ridding. (Both flaw games with great travel elements.)

Basically my choices with basically the explanations I'd use. Gravity Rush in particular I love because it feels like trying to wrangle a super power that isn't inherently controllable. And with so much grace.

Batman is a lot of carry over from the previous games, but the combination of diveboming + the Batmobile + enemy vehicles in Arkham Knight creates one of the most the most authentic superhero traversal systems, up there with Spider Man 2 and Hulk: Ultimate Destruction.

AK15-2.gif

AK14.gif

AK8-2.gif

AK12dff5.gif

Gravity Rush 2 is just majestic and fluid

iyLypsw.gif

pJbUeBV.gif

w62ni6j.gif

sBBN10u.gif

yup. thanks for those gifs too

Putting AK on the level of SM2 and Hulk:UD seems like high praise, but it really does nail a given superhero's movements almost perfectly. The Arkham games seem to have just the right amount of streamlining and automation to the abilities while still allowing for a high degree of control and a wide array of options at any given moment (all functionally mapped to a gamepad too).

"wrangle a super power" is a succinct way of saying what I was trying to convey; thank you. That's what GR does and I hope future "budding superhero" games go for that.

jobrro

Probably Batman: Arhkam Knight.

Really enjoyed the Batmobile outside the a couple of the later battles. I played the game at launch and even now it's fun to go back to and just mess around with gliding around the city and driving around.

Juraash

Horizon so far has been my favorite. I enjoyed the traversal so much (as well as the world) that I literally never fast travelled.

I enjoyed Witcher 3 as well and the controls for Roach felt pretty good. Also the fact that you could call him anytime and anywhere. But I still found myself fast travelling a lot. The terrain was too varied in places and Geralt is not the bet climber.

BotW has been okay so far. The world is huge and there's lots of stuff to explore. That said, climbing (so far at least) is really slow and I don't enjoy the horse controls as much as the above two games. It seems just subtley different enough that it feels clunky. I can't pass judgement on it in earnest yet though since I've only played a handful of hours so far

killatopak

I really enjoy NieR: Automata's traversal. It's fast and smooth.

I like GTA V as well. I just go on my car then listen to some jam and go slow.

Acinixys

Witcher 3 wont be toppled till Cyber Punk comes out

Also, not this gen but STALKER has some of the best open world interaction ive ever seen in a game. Bandits and Monsters and Military getting into skirmishes when they bump into each other is the greatest thing to watch ever

est1992

Batman Arkham Knight. The combination of the Batmobile and gliding anywhere across the city with the grapnel boost culminates for the best superhero experience I've ever had. I'd even push it past Spider-Man 2, but that's just because AK is never.

With that said, I've never played Infamous Second Son because I'm an Xbox owner, but when I get a PS4 this summer I'll give it a shot and hopefully it's up to par if not better than AK.

Also, I feel like Assassin's Creed Unity had the most promise in this area. When I first saw it unveiled and the gameplay at E3, I thought they finally perfected the free running. If they gave it some tweaks, made it more fluid and fast paced, I think it would top all of these choices.

Dremorak

Banned
AC Unity is the perfection of the AC style of parkour. I just started it a week ago. Heaps of fun.

Edit: I havent yet play Syndicate

Neiteio

Zelda: Breath of the Wild set a lot of new standards for open-world games. Traversal is one of them.

You can climb literally everything you see. Every tree, every house, every cathedral, every mountain, etc. Everything.

You have a stamina meter so you have to be smart about it, finding places to rest, so it's not mindless like, say, the climbing in UC4.

And once you reach the top, you can fly great distances with your paraglider. It's so good.

Baalzebup

Gravity Rush 2 all the way. There are other games with good traversal out there, but that one is simply sublime. The mix of flying, falling, sliding and the damn smooth transitions you can make, plus the damn good looking animation for all of Kats flips and twists make it a joy to just move from A to B.

MikeyB

Infamous Second Son. Video powers seemed more fun to me than the neon ones. I think you could also move faster.

Neiteio

Has anyone mentioned the running and jumping in Xenoblade Chronicles X? It feels so good. You sprint like a maniac, never growing fatigued, and when you jump, it's this wide-arcing long-distance moon jump that looks and feels so cool. You can also hop up pretty much any mountain in the game if you read the slopes correctly. Makes for some cool sequence-breaking, like reaching this secluded area atop some waterfalls that you normally can't access without a flying mech.

Infamous: SS, also First Light.

Gravity Rush 2.

Batman: Arkham Knight

But the winner in my eyes would have to be Just Cause 3's air glider.

Randomizer

Witcher 3 or BotW.
These. RDR was my favourite from last gen. I loved when during missions you had conversations as you rode your horse towards your destination. The fast travel wasn't particular intuitive but I usual preferred just to ride my horse everywhere anyway.

Edit:Shit I completely forgot about MGSV. Add that to my Top 3. Overall BOTW is probably my favourite of the gen so far.

ChouGoku

I forgot about Gravity Rush, I havent played the second one but the first one was my favorite flying in a game. MGSV as well. I enjoyed running between bases, Snake's animations are mesmerizing it was enjoyable just to move around in that game. Also D-Horse and D-Walker both controlled extremely well and both moved relatively fast.

Stiler

BOTW as far as the "whole" package goes, climbing, gliding, it makes getting around the world easy and fun.

There are other games that can do some elements of it better, IE:

GAPLXTI.gif

Yam's

Witcher 3 for its world beauty and I loved almost every side quests I came across. It's one of the few open world where I didn't feel the need to use teleportation that much.

Xenoblade X, before I got the Skell. I loved exploring the world on foot. The world itself is beautiful and dangerous. Once you get the Skell, the feeling goes away for me. Sure the feeling of controlling the Skell is awesome, but it kills any sense of danger. Fortunately you get enough new places you couldn't reach before to fly to, but it wasn't the same anymore for me.

Toni

Have to agree with the Infamous Second Son mentions.

That game looked so beautiful. Neon traversal was just orgasmic for the eyes. It felt fluid and fast as well.

Best open world traversal this gen.

dh4niel

Sunset Overdrive. Grinding wires, vaulting rooftops and bouncing on cars. It's pretty cool that you can go across the entire map without touching the ground.

Top Bottom