• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite open world traversal this gen

Xenoblade Chronicles X crushes all. Not just the mechs, but even just exploring on foot. You jump like a kangaroo on steroids.
Problem I have with Xenoblade X's supposedly great world traversal is that, on foot or in a mech, fast travel is just way better. In fact, by the time you get a mech, you've unlocked the mech, you (probably) have the entire map tower'd out, making the mech a novelty apart from its combat use...

Gravity Rush 2 is another good pick, although I never got into it enough to actually enjoy the world traversal.

Crackdown. I think being able to jump - as opposed to fly - led to the perfect balance of feeling like you were super human, but not so overpowered that you never had to come back down to earth.

For me the most effective forms of travel (which exist in BotW and Xenoblade Chronicles X) aren't necessarily the best. Nothing has yet to beat driving around with D-Walker in MGS5 in terms of how fun it is to move around and how much havoc you can cause during side ops.

jonjonaug

Xenoblade X's progression from on foot traversal, to on the ground Skell traversal, to flying is some of the best evolution of how the player explores and interacts with the world around them that I've ever seen. Both getting the Skell and getting the flight module struck me with a sense of wonder that I haven't felt at this sort of thing since hatching the bird in Dragon Quest 3. Xenoblade X made the played out "airship" concept cool and majestic and wonderful again.

Plus as a previous poster stated it's just fun to run around in the game. Movement is super fast while still having a weighty feel to it both on foot and in the Skells.

Ennosuke

Xenoblade X! Skells in this huge world are amazing. BotW is also doing a good job, but Xenoblade X is superior.

Some of you mentioned Sunset Overdrive and yes it was pretty good, too.

ffvorax

Witcher 3, loved to do anything, from traversing the sea by boath, to exploring woods... I liked to go by walk a lot instead of taking an horse, it was such a beautiful place!

Would insta-buy another expansion.

MartyStu

BOTW easy.

Being able to climb anything without any fuss or muss plus massive verticality and really great terrain variety gives it an easy win. It has to be the best designed open world out there.

In terms of open world playground type games with high mobility? Yeah, almost certainly.

Overall? Nah, it has very serious competition.

Malcolm9

The traversal in BOTW was too boring to make it a contender personally. Having to micro manage your stamina, and then it suddenly raining halfway up another bland mountain just made it unenjoyable to me. Link is slow as hell which also makes it a chore, yes you can find certain equipment to speed up, but that's not saying much.

Just Cause 3, although flawed, has a much better traversal system with it's wing suit, parachute and grapple which makes moving around the map a lot of fun, so much in fact I never bothered using vehicles at all.

Dying Light is excellent as well, it's really easy to parkour you way around locations, which feels fun as well.

Griss

Breath of the Wild is good, but the poor horse mechanics drag the overall score down.

Honestly, Just Cause 3 takes it in a landslide. There has never been more fun traversal than skimming along 5 feet off the ground in a wingsuit, using a grappling hook to keep your momentum up, then unveiling your parachute to vault over a cliff, emerging into a dive, latching onto a helicopter and then zooming over some mountains in it at 240kmph. It's just glorious.

I have a PS4 Pro and the game runs just fine.

Gurish

AK by far imo, even if the game had fast travel I would have never used it, the gliding + Batmobile combo, the way you can seamlessly jump from one to the other, is unmatched.

Probably BotW. It's really rewarding. Almost everything is interactive and it rewards experimentation, with people building improvised cars and flying machines and coming up with ways to launch themselves onto towers and the like.

Also, gliding is a lot of fun.

Witcher 3, loved to do anything, from traversing the sea by boath, to exploring woods... I liked to go by walk a lot instead of taking an horse, it was such a beautiful place!

Would insta-buy another expansion.

i love the things you mention in your post as well in the Witcher 3, but that is not on merit of the traversing, not at all. It is clunky, sometimes poorly animated, driven by the worst camera ever, getting stuck in obstacles, getting in and out of the boat makes me wanna puke, etc etc.

Traversing is easily one of the worst parts of the Witcher 3, and that game has a lot of flawes.

Vroadstar

Infamous Second Son, traveling from one place to another, climbing buildings is pretty unique and you just look so cool doing it.

farmerboy

Has to be Arkham Knight.

You can scale any building. Glide anywhere. Hookshot, boost out of the batmobile. Divebomb. Excellent representation of being Batman. Seriously, as far as traversal is concerned it's amazing.

But I hope Insomniacs Spidey is better :)

spekkeh

Banned
Breath of the Wild. Played Horizon before and after BotW. Before it was man this game is buttery smooth. After it was getting stuck on random knee-high scenery while being one shot by machines the game. Any open world that doesn't let you easily scale and descend from anything you see is immediately ruined for me.

Gotta be Second Son to me. Each power felt so unique :) Loved the smoke ability that scaled buildings instantly, turning it into a glide, then right into another vent. Soooo damn good.

Sunset Overdrive and Infamous: Second Son. Both made traversal just fun and exciting. I just didn't mind travelling distances in those games!

BOTW sounds like it strikes a good balance between grounded and whimsical in regards to traversal mechanics. Other games that are a little more serious in nature need to find interesting ways to make world exploration fun. The tools nature in Zelda lend itself well to traversal mechanics.

Cartho

Man, a lot of people didn't play Xenoblade X...

This shouldn't be a surprise, it came out on a console which sold extremely poorly.

I'm gonna go with BOTW for the outstanding climbing, ISS for Neon funtimes and Sunset Overdrive for the joy of leaping and grinding over everything while blowing stuff up with exploding teddybears.

watershed

Banned
BOTW for sure for all the reasons already stated in this thread and also because I swear Nintendo is doing something tricky with scale and travel distance. Even things that look super far away don't take as long as it seems it should for you to reach.

jem0208

Anyone said Mirror's Edge Catalyst yet? It's the only real answer imo.

Other games can make traversal less boring but it's always just going to be traveling from one piece of interesting content to the next. Traversal pretty much is the entire game in ME.

Not once did i fast travel in Catalyst, running between missions was half the fun for me.

Gator86

+1 for Sunset Overdrive. It's got the best moment to moment traversal in an open world game.

Not surprised to see so much BotW because it could win best FPS right now, and I love it, but Link clomps around so slowly on foot. The climbing and gliding is great, but the terrible horse movement and trudging movement on foot disqualify it here for me.

Mirror's Edge Catalyst and Sunset Overdrive. Never cared about fast travel in either because I had a lot of fun just making my way from place to place.

I imagine Crackdown 3 will join them when it releases, considering how fun 1+2 were.

Dunkley

Sunset Overdrive. Movement is an art in that game. It's everything. It's honestly the number one reason Insomniac is such a great pick to be making Spider-man.

This x1000. No other game this gen so far came close in terms of movement options and style, which is why I am really excited to see what they'll do for Spider-Man.

Sunset Overdrive because it made me not care for fast travel.

I admit I totally forgot you could even fast travel and I beat the game.

Majmun

There's a difference between exploration and traversal...

If BotW had a hookshot, then maybe it would be great at the traversal part. Climbing and running is soooooo slow in the game. Couple that with the stamnia bar...nope. Traversal can become a chore in the game.

Dying Light, Xenoblade X, Gravity Rush, Infamous SS, Just Cause 3, Crackdown, Protoype..all have better traversal methods, and more fun ones too.

To me, the traversal in Saint's Row 4 is the most fun one.

massoluk

Banned
It is going to be hard going to other open world game after BOTW, the game with no invisible fences. and mountain ain't just for show

RoadHazard

Gold Member
BoTW

Everything is climbable and you can glide anywhere

The sense of freedom is completely unmatched by anything else I've played. BotW is truly open-world in a way I've never seen before.

EDIT: Except for maybe Gravity Rush, which is also a good pick. I haven't played 2 yet though.

weltalldx

There's a difference between exploration and traversal...

If BotW had a hookshot, then maybe it would be great at the traversal part. Climbing and running is soooooo slow in the game. Couple that with the stamnia bar...nope. Traversal can become a chore in the game.

Dying Light, Xenoblade X, Gravity Rush, Infamous SS, Just Cause 3, Crackdown, Protoype..all have better traversal methods, and more fun ones too.

To me, the traversal in Saint's Row 4 is the most fun one.

How far are you in BotW? There are abilities and gear later in the game that made traversal fast and even trivial.

As for the topic, BotW changed the paradigm for open world traversal going forward. Any future open world game that does not allow for vertical traversal or the ability to overcome vertical obstacles will get point deduction from me.

It's a toss up between Arkham Knight and Dying Light for me. It never gets old launching yourself out of the batmobile and gliding hundreds of meters across the city.

bak-eject.gif

Top Bottom