• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite towns

Angry Fork

Not really 'towns' but they still look really nice visually. FF13 made me gasp many times. The colors and art are breath taking.

Eden_ffxiii_location.jpg

Nautilus_mall.jpg

Tylahedras said:
Seriously guys? No one mentions it?

tumblr_ld94ieyVmb1qbw3a0o1_500.jpg
This. I think Rapture is my favorite environment in gaming period. Just everything about it. If I ever became rich enough to build such a city I would.

desertdroog said:
Bright Falls, Wa from Alan Wake
I would have loved to have seen Remedy's original vision for this game to be open world. I've been trying to visit the Pacific Northwest because of this game and its setting.

I still want to play this so damn bad but I don't have a 360 yet. So terrible that PC probably won't ever get it. I'm a huge fan of Remedy and this environment as well. If you haven't seen Twin Peaks I really recommend it as it has the same kind of creepy wilderness environment as it's setting.

Shito

Each and every town of Valkyrie Profile 2.

373978681362a3b9ee7163af531f3.jpg

305849adb247eebfcbaf1b310ae6a.jpg

e70bea8163c071885cbd5fd92f9fa.jpg

e5622ad77e7ac05af18e08cf5c4f9.jpg

Game was stunning; more games should do this 2D-locked view thing.

JaskoX1

Banned
Add me in for the clock town in Majora's Mask.

Also Liberty City in GTA III. First island.

Nier's village wasn't bad, kinda plain.

Zelda-Wii-should-be-Majoras-Mask-Pt-2.jpg

Mabase

Cow Mengde said:
c1o17.jpg

Crysta. I can't believe it took so many pages for this one to be listed. The minute you step outside, you're totally blown away by the weird Crystal Blue flying in the sky. Not to mention of the greatest village themes ever composed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zV_Pkgiom-c

The music is really fantastic on this one, so beautiful but fittingly melancholic as to all the tragedy that hits this town... Great town, wonderful, wonderful game.

Beautiful Bhujerba, city in the sky. I wouldn't wanna live there though. I effing hate heights.
hv5mrn.jpg

And I'm seeing Inaba here, but no love for Iwatodai? I loved that place, Port Island was beautiful and even though it was pretty simple, it was very memorable and atmospheric, especially with all the Apathy Syndrome people.
map.jpg

Lakitu

st5fu
Citadel - Mass Effect
Illium, Omega - Mass Effect 2
Imperial City, Bruma, Anvil - Oblivion
Megaton - Fallout 3
Hong Kong - Deus Ex
Hengsha, Detroit - Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Venice - Assassin's Creed II
Rome - Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
Windfall Island - Wind Waker

Dunan

I too loved Rapture from the start, which is why I was so upset when, despite the implications of the text on the back of the box, you can't actually
save Rapture from its doom
. That turned this game from what should have been an inspiring experience into something much more cynical.

Dennis

Banned
Rapture is waaaay overrated. Good game but the city was overrated.

Columbia looks much more interesting, visually.

Jrmint

Snakeyes said:
I can't choose between the ones in FFXIII, they were all pretty amazing.
-1 at trolling.

There actually was a few towns, just because there were no shops or anything doesn't mean there wasn't a town.

I forget the name but there was the town with all the chocobos and the second to last chapter all took place in a huge, gorgeous city. The names are escaping me atm.

I have been always in love with the towns and cities in FFIX

Alexandria:
tumblr_louun7It0Y1qbs968o1_500.jpg

Pueblo_de_Alexandria_FFIX.jpg

Lindblum:
ff9_lindblum_1024x768.jpg

Lindblum_Distrito_Comercial_FFIX.JPG

Dali:
dali.jpg

From this gen I also love all the cities in Assassin's creed 2 and Rome in Brotherhood.

-tibetian village from uncharted 2
-esthar from final fantasy 8
-castelia city from pokemon black
-orgrimmar after cataclysm - WoW

cant think of any others right now, but there are a lot of towns that i like!

NekoFever

Yokosuka from Shenmue has to be my favourite. I adored exploring Yamanose, Sakuragaoka and Dobuita, and it was genuinely emotional to see Ryo walking through it all on his way to Hong Kong at the end. I knew every corner of those places.

Can't really pick one, but I love the towns in Skies of Arcadia too. Maybe Sailors' Island.

w2C7R.jpg

Oh, and Chorrol was always my favourite in Oblivion.

Fjordson

Armadillo from Red Dead Redemption (I could post every town in RDR, but if I had to choose):

fw29et.jpg

Star Junction (and all of Liberty City) from GTA IV:

34j80h0.jpg

Megaton from Fallout 3:

711gew.png

Cheydinhol from Oblivion:

33crz13.jpg

Jacobstown from Fallout: New Vegas:

33dd2y9.jpg

Credit for that awesome RDR photo goes emalord who posted earlier in the thread.

Shtof

Metropolis, Kerwan - Ratchet & Clank
Panoramic_Metropolis.jpg

Haven City - Jak 2. If you played the game, you'll probably recognize some of the locations.
Haven_city.jpg

Venice - Assassin's Creed II
4a24d197b14b1.jpg

jambo said:
City 17

http://i.imgur.com/3X0Zw.jpg[/IG]

Thanks to the great combination of wonderful ambient noise, believable characters and the changing nature of the city of the course of Half-Life 2 I won't soon forget it.[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=Chuck][IMG]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-MZMzGp48buY/TZmow2j5RCI/AAAAAAAAAAQ/rZUpROTqk1o/s1600/pallet_town.gif
Good choices here.

I'd add:
Crackdown_pacific_city.jpg

And the cities from Jak II and Jak III.

I was recently blown away by Frontier village from Xenoblade, initially it seemed small until I noticed that I had seven or eight floors of overly detailed tree interior to climb, the view from the upper exterior sections were a sight indeed and the small pond area at the top is wonderfully colourful.

And then there's Windfall Island in Wind Waker which had me fill every one of those item placement points beyond the point of a heart container, just so the place could look even better.

That wind ruin town in Tales of Symphonia was pretty nice as well, shame that Vesperia's towns were incredibly scaled back and/or restrictive by comparison.

Celadon City in Pokemon for all the lovely stuff you can obtain, tons of good TM's, an Eevee, Slot machines and elemental stones.

Kuran said:
That town in the desert in Xenogears. The one with the restaurant/tavern and the fish tank?

I think it was Dazil.

Xenogears had such lively towns. Perfect atmosphere.
I was going to say Aveh, which is the dessert city that comes after Dazil. I love the tournament, playing hide and seek with the kids, etc.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZIogmhb6cU
Also just about every town in FFIX as others have said, Village of Dali, Treno, Lindblum, and Alexandria (jump rope anyone?).

Rapture

Most of my favorites have already been mentioned (Clock Town, Kakariko Village, Isle Delfino, Sandover Village), but a couple haven't:

Queens - Dark Cloud

The music was great, the atmosphere was excellent, and it was just a cool, fun town. Too bad there was so little to actually do in the town.

Queens2.jpg

Haven City - Jak II

This city had a little bit of everything, and it became especially awesome when you got the hover board.

jak2_091603_06_640w.jpg

jak2_072203_09_640w.jpg

Edit: And of course, Haven City gets mentioned a bunch on this last page lol.

Dunan

So many great towns and cities mentioned already.

One more that hasn't yet seen a screenshot:

esthar2.png

Final Fantasy 8's Esthar

Though if I lived in that world, I'd make my home in Dollet:

Dollet_5.jpg

Anyone up for a card game at the pub?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Flotsam in The Witcher 2.

zoHTt.jpg

It has a tavern full of whores, a giant monster that terrorizes the docks, a dense forest full of ancient ruins and nasty spiders, and it's goddamn gorgeous all the way through.

Dennis

Banned
Snuggler said:
Flotsam in The Witcher 2.

zoHTt.jpg

It has a tavern full of whores, a giant monster that terrorizes the docks, a dense forest full of ancient ruins and nasty spiders, and it's goddamn gorgeous all the way through.
Looks like a PS2 game

watershed

Banned
I really enjoyed Rabanastre in FFXII because of how dense and alive it felt with all the npcs sitting around, shopping, and chatting. A lot of the towns in older final fantasy felt great because of the comforting/relaxing music and simple visuals. I think I'll forever have a soft spot for pre-rendered backgrounds used for towns, especially Alexandria, Lindblum, and Treno in FFIX.

Edit: Also Windfall Island in WW, I loved the idea of the town having a separate night life. It was a very charming place. But just once I'd like to actually have a drink at that damn milk bar!!!

Grand Chokmah (Tales of the Abyss)

ss-019.jpg

Always loved this town, especially the area where you get a nice view of the waterfalls surrounding the palace.

Traverse Town (Kingdom Hearts)
Traverse_Town.jpg

Pretty small in scale compared to almost everything posted in the thread, but it had a lot to do in it, and it had a ton of charm.

Man, those Winhill shots make me want to replay FFVIII.

Top Bottom