• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite towns

Adamm

GaussTek said:
Cosmo Canyon (FFVII):

428px-FFVII-CosmoCanyon.jpg

Combined with its excellent music.... sogood.gif

Came to post this.
Great town + Great music

PS1 final fantasies had the best towns
ps3 final fantasies have none :(

sophora

Rome from Assassin's Creed Brotherhood was quite lovely...actually love the towns/setting in AC2 as well.

But my favorite town would have to be Mac Anu from the Dot Hack Series, seeing it change to what it was in GU was quite nice...actually liked all the town hubs in GU.

Regulus Tera said:
s4Vh4.jpg

Withered flowers forget
What they wept for day after day...

Probably the only town in a JRPG that actually feels like a town.

For me the town was one of the only disappointing things about Persona 4.
At first I figured all the closed shops would open later in the game. Nope. Junes ran them out of business. A huge department store. Except you can't do anything in Junes unless it's part of a social link or part of the storyline.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Kakariko in Link to the past. I could walk around and just listen to the music for hours.

kai3345

Banned
rainking187 said:
For me the town was one of the only disappointing things about Persona 4.
At first I figured all the closed shops would open later in the game. Nope. Junes ran them out of business. A huge department store. Except you cant do anything in Junes unless it's part of a social link or part of the storyline.
yeah that bugged me too

The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind - Balmora. The first major town you go to the game (if you follow the storyline).

1q9Ch.jpg

Grand Theft Auto III - Liberty City. Just the right size. Not too small to get boring, no too large that I get lost all the time.

8p5wQ.gif

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Kingdom of Zeal in Chrono Trigger

ChronoTrigger-12000BC-KingdomOfZeal.png

Lot of things to do, lots of elements that affect the storyline, very different from the rest of the game, amazing music. The whole time youre there it feels like a pleasant dream .. well, at least for a while, lol

I always thought that Radiata City in Radiata Stories was one of the best-designed cities in a JRPG. Every NPC having a 24 hour schedule kinda helps liven things up.

[too lazy to upload a pic of it right now]

I'll second Clock Town.

This may be cheating, but Suikoden 2's castle does function as a (totally sweet) town:
Suikoden_2_Cooking_game.jpg

(couldn't find a decent image of the exterior, so here's the cooking mini-game).

Or maybe Gregminster:
suikoden-gregminster.jpg

Dunan

Love this thread! There's nothing quite like a beautiful video game city. And video games bring fictional cities to life in a way that books can't (no images) and movies can't (no exploration). I love exploration more than anything else in video games, and for that you need a great city to explore.

Lots of really good ones in this thread already, but the king is FFXII's Archades. This is my favorite image from all the concept art from this game. People, shops, buildings soaring into the sky:

Archades.jpg

In the Ultimania Omega, Kamikokuryo revealed that he'd actually begun this piece of artwork in an upside-down position compared to how it came out:

FFXII-ArchadesCitizens_artwork.jpg

Wherever you go, you get the impression of the busy bustle of a capital city. I particularly liked how there were additional dummy NPCs on the decks that you couldn't get to. Added tremendously to the feel while not confusing the players into thinking that they could be accessed.

FFXII_Archades.jpg

Others: Assassin's Creed has brought us some amazing real-world-based cities, too. How about Firenze and Venezia?

ac2-firenze.jpg

From the first game: Jerusalem, Damascus, Acre:

assassins-creed-screenshot.jpg

Visiting these cities in AC makes me want to go to the real ones. I can't wait to see what ACR will do with Constantinople!

Leunam

Fuck I love this thread. There are a lot of great choices here (Zozo, Fishermans Horizon, etc.). I thought I'd add this one to the mix.

aVw3O.jpg

I'm strictly talking about the "overworld" section and not the individual rooms. Such fantastic detail all over the place.

Mik2121

Oh yeah, pretty much all towns from Ragnarok Online:

Aldebaran.jpg

Aldebaran

prontera.jpg

Prontera

ragnarokonlineart028.jpg

Morroc

Juno.jpg

Juno

And many more like Lutie, Geffen, Einbroch, etc...

Liberty City from GTA4, which is mostly why I like the game, but specifically Algonquin:

DOX6t.jpg

And everything about Venice and Florence in Assassin's Creed II.

Atruvius

Sandover Village
Sandover_Village_topview_concept_art.jpg

Jak and Daxter The Precursor Legacy's Sandover Village. Jak's home village. Looks peaceful and homey. Good visuals too.

desertdroog

Bright Falls, Wa from Alan Wake

Alan_Wake_04.jpg

Bright_Falls_Map.png

I would have loved to have seen Remedy's original vision for this game to be open world. I've been trying to visit the Pacific Northwest because of this game and its setting.

The Baten Kaitos series has so many interesting locations. I'm trying to think of a place I didn't like and I can't do it.

There was also Twilight Town in Kingdom Hearts 2. I think I'll credit the music for that one; Lazy Afternoons is sublime and sets the relaxing mood with impressive authority.

Motherf'in Kelethin from EQ

Nostalgia from falling off and dying my first night playing while I was trying to find the Bard trainer.

kelethin-Everquest.jpg

That one town from Baten Kaitos. It's like any other town, except everything is edible. That pudgy guy on the bottom right has obviously been enjoying the towns benefits.

Parnasse.jpg

I would say my own in Animal Crossing is my favorite. It's weed free and there is so much to do. There are some BLAM! neighbours though :(.

kai3345 said:
I see you and raise you
800px-OB-Bruma-01.jpg

So much time spent mercilessly slaughtering the citizens of this town.

This was my favorite town in the game. Especially the house you could get. So cozy.

Vice City is also really good. Oh, and anything from the Shenmue games.

cajunator

Banned
calder said:
15q84yx.jpg

1zx0412.jpg

Tibetan village in Uncharted 2.
I loved the feeling of this village.
Really detailed and a beautiful setting high up in the mountains.
I would also second CLocktown. I havent played many games with town like that, so my choices are limited.

Easystride said:
Yes, this. The music is so comforting.

And this, Moradhim from Everquest Online Adventures:
BJWEe.jpg

Ahhhh, the memories....

I played EQ:OA for a few months right around when Frontiers came out. I was surprised at how decent it actually was.

Top Bottom