• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite train stages? - The thrill of being on a moving train.

One of most thrilling parts in Lost Odyssey

maxresdefault.jpg

Edit: Beaten and the exact picture XD

Coreda

There's an old arcade multiplayer called Outfoxies that had a train level. Not sure it was the best of the levels but was a surprisingly enjoyable game.

pvzzyhh.png

Beaulieu

holy shit, first time I see last express screenshot since I played it at launch.
it looked way better in my memories

I'll echoe Paper Mario 2.

Probably my favorite chapter in the game, though the fighting arena comes close.

Just for the sake of mentioning it: The worst train level has to be "Radical Train" from Sonic 06. The level gives you ridiculous time limits matched with a pretty broken level.

Uncharted 2's train level is straight up my all-time favorite sequence in a shooter. It's just incredible. I'll probably buy the remaster just to play that part again.

nib95

Banned
r9W7C7H.gif

One of the best train levels ever. This was so much fun to play in. The train was actually moving in the level.

This is the pinnacle of train level tps/fps game design so far, and by a wide margin. Probably one of the best levels of its kind ever. From the seamless background transitioning, the mix of platforming, set pieces (compartments dislodging, the helicopter boss fight, massive tunnel crash etc), shoot outs, the use of the train itself (inside, outside, through windows, along carriages, along the sides, it's dynamic movements and your aim constantly having to adapt etc), the pacing (going through the train during tropical conditions, transitioning to snowy mountains, through tunnels etc all in the same segment) and so on.

I remember replaying the Killzone 2 and Gears of War train segments after playing Uncharted 2's, and thinking they were not even in the same league.

dreamfall

One of my favorites was the 125th Street Station in Def Jam: Fight for New York. Throwing your opponent on the tracks, post-Rage mode, and watching that Train KO- perfection.

EdD9L0z.jpg

Don't know if it was said yet, but the train level from Captain Toad was really fun. Mainly due to the stealth in the game: you're ducking in and out the aisles, climbing on the roof, going in and out.

But all time? Definitely the train level from Thousand Year Door.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Spirit Train stage from Smash 3DS! It's fun to play with friends.

tQ5a57E.jpg

I'm surprised that no one mention Final Fantasy 7 (Train and Train Graveyard. I know it's not big deal but yeah.) Also Trains from Super Mario 3D World.

bobawesome

hqdefault.jpg

Paper Mario: TTYD

captain-toad-treasure-tracker-train-level-gameplay-screenshot.jpg

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker

Both immensely charming levels that make you want to tuck into a mug of hot cocoa, paperize, and get ready for adventure.

Ah, man, I miss good Paper Mario games. That was a fantastic part of a fantastic game. I'd be so happy if Nintendo ported it to the 3DS.

Dr Prob

Banned
Oh my god, that picture made me regress. I forgot about that stage? Is that in any other mario kart?

Think it's in MK7 too. Technically it's a train stage because there's a train. Everyone had to stop at that crossing and it was a thing, but in the N64 days it was really all about when no one was around and you went exploring in that tunnel. No shortcuts to be found but you could try.

captain-toad-treasure-tracker-train-level-gameplay-screenshot.jpg

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
Off topic but man, that is beautiful. I really need to get this game.
The engine used for this and Super Mario 3d World is has such nice lighting and seems great with curved surfaces. I don't know whether it's down to tessellation or simply high resolution models but all those cylinders and spheres are so damn smooth.

Moff

I don't like uncharted in general, but that train level is spectacular and definitely deserves the top spot here

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
r9W7C7H.gif

One of the best train levels ever. This was so much fun to play in. The train was actually moving in the level.

Yup. This is one of the single most impressive accomplishments in the history of the medium, and most people don't even realize it because Naughty Dog made it look so damn natural and easy.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Uncharted 2 train stage sucks arse and is one of the most mechanically dull in the entire game serving only as a visual/tech show piece. Boourns.

Fret

Yup. This is one of the single most impressive accomplishments in the history of the medium, and most people don't even realize it because Naughty Dog made it look so damn natural and easy.

seriously? one of the most impressive things in gaming ever? its good, but not that good, and its hampered by bad gameplay throughout the whole game

This is the pinnacle of train level tps/fps game design so far, and by a wide margin. Probably one of the best levels of its kind ever. From the seamless background transitioning, the mix of platforming, set pieces (compartments dislodging, the helicopter boss fight, massive tunnel crash etc), shoot outs, the use of the train itself (inside, outside, through windows, along carriages, along the sides, it's dynamic movements and your aim constantly having to adapt etc), the pacing (going through the train during tropical conditions, transitioning to snowy mountains, through tunnels etc all in the same segment) and so on.

I remember replaying the Killzone 2 and Gears of War train segments after playing Uncharted 2's, and thinking they were not even in the same league.

Well said. Another great example how dynamic the design in UC really is.

seriously? one of the most impressive things in gaming ever? its good, but not that good, and its hampered by bad gameplay throughout the whole game

Nah. The gameplay is friggin great (and I generally don't even like most AAA games). There's not a single TPS as dynamic as this game, with quite a few combat encounters being wonderful little sadboxes, something the fourth game seems to build upon. Nate is such a versatile character and he has so many tools at his disposal that the combination of fairly open and vertical level design leads to wonderful cat and mouse scenarios with the AI.

The train level is ace, because they made that dynamic as well. You can jump in and out of the windows, move through the cars and climb on top op them, all the while dealing with adjusting your aim to the movement of the train and outside hazards. Of course it looks spectacular as well.

It's easily gaming's best train level.

Paertan

Ok so it is a bit exaggerated but Naughty Dog actually had to "invent" a whole way for designing and coding in 3D since the train actually moves in its environment. Train level are otherwise the level moving and the train standing still.
Or so I have had it explained at least.

Top Bottom