• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite Yu-Gi-Oh moments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uzumaki Goku

With Yu-Gi-Oh: The Dark Side of Dimensions coming out tonight, I figured now was a good time to ask?

What are some of your favorite Yu-Gi-Oh memories? Be they from the manga or the anime?

My absolute favorite.

1. Yugi vs. Brainwashed Jounouchi/Joey on the docks. It's a duel of high emotion stakes and everything from the Battle City arc culminates here up till this point. It's the first time we see Yugi stand on his own separate from his other self (Dark Yugi). Jounouchi's growth as a duelist is highlighted well as he's able to fight off Marik's mind control, Jounouchi manages to sacrifice himself to save Yugi, but then Shizuka/Serenity dives into the water to save her brother, even better this is just after she took off her bandages to find out if she was blind or not.

2. Dark Yugi vs. Dark Marik at the end of the Battle City finals. Dark Yugi unleashing Ragnarok on the Winged Dragon of Ra. Need I say more?

3. Yugi vs. Kaiba at the Battle City Finals. Just an epic duel of counters. Yugi and Kaiba have had many duels but this is the first time both have a God card at their disposal.

4. Yugi vs. Pharaoh
Atem
. This honestly the perfect way to end the series with Yugi and his other self finally facing off, both of their character arcs come complete at the end as Yugi stands on his own and
Atem can finally rest in peace like he has wanted.

Why are there so many Yu-Gi-Oh threads?

My favorite moment was when they debuted the Dark Magician Girl. I bought a japanese pack of cards when the show first started and she was in it. It felt like FOREVER until she appeared on the show.

End of Yugi vs. Strings. Never knew infinite loop combos or milling out your opponent were actual strategies before that episode, so that ending blew my fucking mind to the back of the auditorium as a kid.

Also, that time in the manga Yugi set a dude on fire.

Galang

Banned
Yugi vs. Strings was the best duel in the series for me. Osiris' introduction was on-point and they really captured the feeling of fighting against a god card that the rest of the series doesn't capture as well imo. Ra was just silly with the chant things. Mai would have beaten Marik so fast once she controlled Ra if it wasn't for the silly fate nonsense

Otherwise pretty much every duel featuring Bakura was great, especially with how insane his dark personality was.

When Yugi lit that fugitive on fire with vodka
When Yugi killed a guy after playing ice hockey with him on an okonomiyaki grill with a puck made of ice that had a bomb in the center
When Yugi punished a pervy TV producer by making him see the TV test pattern screens for the rest of his life

zero_suit

Most duels featuring Bakura. Dude lost because of plot so many times. His strategies were almost always better than his opponent.

Attack the Moon!

This was back during Season 1, where nothing makes sense! During his duel with Mako, Yugi used his Giant Soldier of Stone to attack his Mystical Moon magic card, which rendered Mako's sea-field useless. There's even a card!

BERSERKER SOUL!

One of my absolute favorite moments in the anime. Weevil tries to mentally destroy Yami by ripping a card with Yugi's soul. After revealing it was a fake, Yami went into a rage and destroyed Weevil in the most-OP way possible. Berserker Soul.

Galang

Banned
Most duels featuring Bakura. Dude lost because of plot so many times. His strategies were almost always better than his opponent.

Yeah I should have said this too. Bakura always had the most interesting decks and strategies compared to the rest of the characters. I don't even remember him ever winning either :(

Tall4Life

The Millenium Tournament, Battle City Tournament, any of those 5D's battles involving those god monsters...I really really liked the anime.

Uzumaki Goku

Yeah I should have said this too. Bakura always had the most interesting decks and strategies compared to the rest of the characters. I don't even remember him ever winning either :(

There was the graveyard duel when he dueled Bandit Keith's old gang. Pretty easily too.

"No... I'm disappointed because this duel has to end and I wanted to prolong your misery."

Yugi vs
Atem
in the manga was pretty great.

BERSERKER SOUL!

One of my absolute favorite moments in the anime. Weevil tries to mentally destroy Yami by ripping a card with Yugi's soul. After revealing it was a fake, Yami went into a rage and destroyed Weevil in the most-OP way possible. Berserker Soul.

YES

When Yugi killed a guy after playing ice hockey with him on an okonomiyaki grill with a puck made of ice that had a bomb in the center
When Yugi punished a pervy TV producer by making him see the TV test pattern screens for the rest of his life

When he electrocuted a bunch of guys

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Yugi vs Pegasus, Yugi vs Kaiba part 2 Yusei vs Jack part 1 and Part 2. Yusei vs Dark Glass/Bruno (Duelling around a star cause a supernova because of a summon, duel to escape the resulting black all fucks had stopped being and it just went full bat shit spectacle crazy).

notable mentions Yusei vs Z-One

Fj0823

Yusei Summoning Shooting Star Dragon with Masaaki Endoh's music rocking in the background (5D's)

Shun summoning Satellite Cannon Falcon in Arc-V

The Zexal plot-Twist involving Vector

And Yugi beating Marik

Every time Yami pulled some bullshit in the very first season of the anime, whether it was attacking the moon to get the tide out and leave Mako's aquatic monsters exposed out of water, or catapulting a dragon into a floating castle, destroying the flotation rings and sending it crashing down onto all the zombie monsters below.

Hydrus

The first series was a ton of fun, even if it didn't always follow the rules. I'm actually been on a yugioh kick lately and I'm rewatching the anime. Currently at the Marik vs Joey duel. Favorite moment so far: probably Yugi vs the Mime and he beats him and slifer by making him run out of cards.

Kisaya

The duel when Kaiba threatened to kill himself unless Yugi surrendered 😂😂😂

For real though I think my favorite duel was Yugi and Kaiba vs Lumis and Umbra. I wish they were forced to team up more often.

Regiruler

tumblr_n5uuh6KocS1rnpv40o1_500.gif

The live duels are filled with great moments

Rewatched parts of it in Japanese a while back.

The Battle City ark (and the parts after the whole Virtual World thing I cared nothing about) is actually quite solid and fun. Especially when watching it in Japanese when you see how much 4Kids butchered and censored the story. Therein lie some of my favorite moments.

The whole Marik plot is really fascinating and flashes out the antagonist far more, especially when you see that Dark Marik actually FUCKING STABBED HIS DAD TO DEATH instead of "sending him to the Shadow realm". I don't think the original story even has the Shadow Realm as a concept.

Also, the subtleties of Jonouchi's (or Joey's) story where his Duel City motivation is to grow to face Yugi as an on-par, true duelist, instead of the really stupid "I'm with ya to save wourld, Yug!" This especially hits home in the Marik vs Jono duel which is probably my favorite in the entire show.

I also completely skipped the whole "Orichalcos" thing since it screamed filler.

Instro

Zorc and his giant dong.

In all seriousness battle city is the peak of the show. Also I dont know what they were thinking when they redid the music for the dub, the original score is fantastic.

Zorc and his giant dong.

In all seriousness battle city is the peak of the show. Also I dont know what they were thinking when they redid the music for the dub, the original score is fantastic.

welcome to old anime dubs, most of them had there soundtracks changed

I loved how over the top the guy dubbing Pegasus was in the english dub.

Keith was cheating, I saw it all...WITH MY MILLENNIUM EYE

I loved in the orichalchos filler when yami was on his own how he reverted to his season one days and just tortured Haga.

Duel wise, my favourites were
jonouchi vs mai (A MILLENIA HAS PASSED ON THE BATTLEFIELD AND YOUR HARPIES LADIES ARE OLD AND DECREPIT)
yugi vs pegasus
yugi vs bakura (ouja board duel)
jonouchi vs marik
yugi vs most of the ghouls

I loved the Yugi vs Possessed Joey duel back in the day. It was probably my favorite as its really the only one that sticks out clearly in my mind.

Uzumaki Goku

Them counter plays.

Joey vs Malik got me good. God damn Joey had Malik DEAD TO RIGHTS but Malik shadow cheating bull crap caught up to Joey in the end.

The duel between the main guy in 5DS and Jack Atlas da king was dope too.

I've been trying to remember... all Jounouchi had to do was call one attack and he would've won, right?

PSqueak

Banned
I've been trying to remember... all Jounouchi had to do was call one attack and he would've won, right?

Yeah, technically he won, but he passed out due to literal magic tampering, causing him to forfeit.

Total bullshit, bet Kaiba only allowed it cause he loves being a dick to him.

Maniacal justice Atem was best Atem.

One of my favorite moments of the manga was the Inn Massacre by Thief Bakura as Yami Bakura watched. The manga was way better than any version of the show.

One of my favorite moments of the japanese show was when Yami Bakura merged with Zorc and Yami Yugi merged with Atem during Shadow RPG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom